Posted in TV | comedy | music on November 15, 2007

SNL Writers STrike.

The writers strike (as seen in the photo above) has caused two NYC shows to look for a new home. That means 150 lucky people are going to see a live performance of Saturday Night Live at the UCB Theatre, and another 150 will get to see 30 Rock.

Proceeds from the sale of tickets to "30 Rock" - priced at a modest $20 - will go to the Writers Guild strike fund, the Web site says.

The writers' strike, which began 10 days ago, immediately shut down production of "SNL" and "30 Rock" because so many of the stars also write the shows. [NY Post] (via)

The 30 Rock listing says some people will get in at the door. Good luck with that.

For a more sure bet, stop by the UCB at 9:30 tonight for a performance of the Dave Hill Explosion with special guests Lady Bunny and Touching You. Tickets are still available.

Posted by hipster replacement | November 15, 2007 11:22 AM

that is fucking awesome

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 11:24 AM

The very idea of any type of "writers' union" -- let alone a writers' strike -- continues to come off as absolutely preposterous.

Posted by Allen | November 15, 2007 11:24 AM

the only thing more obscene than this writer's strike is the stagehands' strike. Those fuckers make $200k a year to stand around most of the day and occasionally move stuff. If they don't like their job, find another one. Good luck finding anything nearly as cushy as being a theater stagehand. Dicks...
They have bastardized the whole idea of why unions exist. They have gotten completely out of hand and have turned more into a kind of mafia that practices extortion. They are selfish pigs who don't give a fuck about the thousands of people whose lives are indirectly affected by their strike.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 11:38 AM

so Anonymous 11:38am....how do you really feel about the stagehands?

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 11:50 AM

why should the producers get to make all the money? if they can get more, good for them! what the fuck do you care?

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 11:53 AM

Anon 11:38 had prime seats to the Jersey Boys for tonight.

Posted by anonymous | November 15, 2007 11:55 AM

"If they don't like their job, find another one."

Good to see that someone has brains. When I didn't like previous jobs, I quit and moved on. Why can't these complainers do the same? Producers have money on the line, they should see a profit.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 12:22 PM

"by the way, the work stagehands do is pretty dangerous and physical. they are most definitely not just "standing around" all the time."

uh... but that's part of the job isn't it? Do you hear a construction worker complaining that his job is dangerous and too physical? If you take a job doing physical labor, then danger is part of the risk of taking that job.

Stagehands have taken advantage of the entire union system.

They are way overpaid for the amount of 'physical work' that they do.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 12:32 PM

So will this SNL "episode" be televised?

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 12:52 PM

Without any writers, there wouldn't be TV, Film or books. Think about it before judging them. So you think it's cool to think up story lines and bust your head for hours on a show and not make a cent from what's being bought off; let's while the Producers and everyone else make money off your ideas? Give me a break! At least these people have much more creativity than any of their critics will ever have.

Posted by Isabelle | November 15, 2007 1:00 PM

Posted by Isabelle | November 15, 2007 1:00 PM

Posted by Isabelle | November 15, 2007 1:01 PM

i hope kanye west is there!

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 1:01 PM

When will the Tina Fey sex tape leak...?

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 1:34 PM

This is a great idea... and I'm not usually for all these "benefit the writers" shows going on out there. I know the cool factor is high with the UCB Theater, but hell, they could have made more money if they staged this at a slightly larger venue. Just a tiny bit larger! UCB is practically a black box!

Sucks that I'll be out of town that night. However, as good as an idea this is, I REALLY hope the non-writing staff members are able to work on this show somehow. I hope they're able to benefit from this, too. They're the real victims through this. Them & the crew, which I doubt will be hired to work on this UCB show!

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 1:47 PM

Isabelle,

I assume you're addressing my earlier comments in your remarks. If so, then unfortunately, you're not addressing the actual substance of my comments -- which mean to address the ABSOLUTE ABSURDITY of any writer who chooses to 'strike' in collusion with other writers because they feel they need to make more money since the overwhelming majority of all great writing is done in solitude and there is a great deal of total shit and garbage put out there into the universe via your beloved television -- and instead you are presupposing that what I am saying in my comments is that writers should not exist...

...Which is a ridiculous assertion: that's like saying certain personality types shouldn't exist...Which I don't agree with :-) XOXO.

Furthermore, read in the NYTimes today about the local midtown businesses like restaurants losing money because there are no shows to go to.

Moreover, look at the writers who actually do stand to benefit: Off-Broadway writers who CONTINUE to work despite hardship, and are in fact rewarded because no one's going to Broadway.

But these arguments I grant are not as strong as my initial assertion.

Posted by Allen | November 15, 2007 2:00 PM

does it seem to anyone else that a lot of people think the writers strike and the stagehand strike are somehow the same thing?

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 2:08 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 2:08 PM

Anonymous 2:08, no it doesn't. People are simply talking about both of them together.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 2:12 PM

stagehands get paid a lot of money in relation to the difficulty of their work.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 2:18 PM

Writers wanting a fair share of the total profits gained from their scripts/product? Inconceivable.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 2:36 PM

"I'm sure all those SNL tickets are gone way before any of us could possibly know about them...

Posted by hipster replacement | November 15, 2007 11:22 AM"

Yeah but the ucb is so easy to get into on even the most sold out of shows. And without that reservation. I of course am not gonna tell you how cause that would be just dumb on my part. Hope the show is better than the tv show which sucks. I will let you all know after.
Continue bickering about the stike

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 3:03 PM

i'd like to see you move a cardboard tree with as much grace as i do!

Posted by stagehand | November 15, 2007 3:19 PM

I don't know any stagehands who make $200,000 a year.

Just saying.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 4:00 PM

Stage hands can make anything from 500-1600 in a day. They get paid an insane amount of money for what they do.
They are also pampered like child actors. meal penalties, coffee breaks, 10 minutes hand washing time before meals etc. And they will do everything in their power to break into meals, hit OT etc.

Oh you need that case moved? oh well i'm an audio guy, the carpenter has to move that one. i can only move this one. so we'll have to wait for him to get that moved.

They could give two shits about the people they are working for and would rather see production bleed out its ass so they can get a few hours of OT then see a production come in on budget.
These are for the most part greedy neanderthals who use intimidation to get what they want.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 4:29 PM

Anonymous@3:03pm is so goddamn cool.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 4:48 PM

union stagehands are just day laborers who won the job lottery.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 4:51 PM

The unions are one of the reasons why the entertainment that gets to the stage is so damn shitty. They make the production costs so expensive that no chances can be taken on inventive creative art.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 4:54 PM

I don't watch SNL for free on TV. They expect me to pay $20 *AND* leave my place to watch it? *THAT'S* the funniest thing they've come up with since "Dick in a Box."

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 11:09 PM

Who let Sean Hannity loose in the BV comments? Stop the union bashing already.

Posted by edwyn the bear | November 16, 2007 12:58 AM

I am "ahead of the game." I know "whats cool." I think a way ro get an advantage in this strike is to "win the hearts and minds of people who pay for entertainment." I'm "smart." I have "an idea." I'll go to a "hip music blog" and plant bullshit ideas about striking unions in a desperate attempt to engender "apathy or resentment" against the unions. I hope nobody stops to think about whether the people the unions are striking against are for the most part "rich greedy assholes who are barely tolerable as human beings."

Posted by not a shill for the union | November 16, 2007 1:53 AM

I know a couple people who have been terminated as a result of the strike. And I don't support $10,000/week TV writers yelling at $650/week PA's who have to enter production offices because certain shows and movies are still in production.

HOWEVER, what's fair about studios/producers making all of the money that's generated from web/mobile content? Content that wouldn't exist if not for writers?

Posted by brian | November 16, 2007 2:56 PM

"Anonymous@3:03pm is so goddamn cool.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 4:48 PM"

He is really cool cause I am him and I just got home from the SNl UCB performance and after party. Good times all around.. Much like the current SNL shows it was a mix of pretty funny and boringly bad sketches but it was for a good cause so it was worth it.
Basically the audience was crew members and their guests and friends. So lets see.....They played it out like a typical SNL. Michael Sera was the host but did not have much to do. Norah Jones came out and sang on the done live "digital short" which was really funny. It was Andy Samberg doing an ode to the Iranian president Ahmedenijad(played by Fred Armisen) and how they should hang out together. One skit was called Hip Hop Whodunnit. They played a commerical with Kristin Wiig offering Hot Air Balloon rides as a new form of transportation. Rachel Dratch came out a few times to do Debbie Downer which is always funny. Horatio Sanz came out during the Weekend Update and played a guy named Boombox Barry. They showed a Robert Smigel cartoon that was never allowed to be aired that was awesome. It takes place on an airplane with different voices in different languages giving instructions on air safety. An arabic voice telling the arabs on the plane not to blow it up cause America is good. A black woman's voice telling black people on the plane that if they see an Arab when they are boarding to make up an excuse to get off the plane. Jason Sudeikis had a funny one where he plays the best man at a wedding and gives a really xrated toast. The last skit was great also. Will Forte playing one of those robot mimes who you see in the subways and parks who move around for money. He ends up picking up a mic and singing "I suck cock for my face paint" over and over. Yo La Tengo did 2 songs and were as usual fantastic. The only cast member who didnt show up was Maya Rudolph.

Cool show and and after party. Most of the production staff got axed this week so it was nice to see them having a good time and hopefully they got some much needed funds with Xmas coming up.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2007 3:13 AM

Oh also if anyone can help. There was the most beautiful girl sitting in the front row. I knew her from somewhere but could not remember and she and her group left right after so i did not get a chance to talk to her. She was short with medium length black hair. I think i heard her say her name is Robin. I am not gonna put up a website a la that dude in Bklyn cause that is sort of stalkerish. But if anyone knows this girl, help me out cause ummm it is my future wife.
Thanks

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2007 3:16 AM

Oh, an excellent article! No idea how you were able to write this post..itd take me days. Well worth it though, Id suspect. Have you considered selling banners on your blog?Yeah, btw have a look at http://goodvillenews.com/From-Dummy-to-Celebrated-Brain-Surgeon-hRM6QZ.html - good news , see you later

Posted by Robert White | December 4, 2012 3:12 PM