Posted in music on November 19, 2007

Spiritualized @ The ApolloSpiritualized @ The Apollo

The last few times I saw Spiritualized (Bowery, Irving, Northsix), I was treated to a truly phenomenal wall of light and sound. Ever since those shows I've been pining for them to come back to the states again. After a painful four year wait, a period of time that almost saw the demise of Jason Pierce, they came back to the states with a handful of gigs billed Acoustic Mainlines.

Their stop at The Apollo in Harlem didn't disappoint. As a matter of fact, this show was probably one of the most perfect musical experiences in recent memeory, even with the occasional douche-nozzles hollering out completely ridiculous and embarassing nonsense here and there. The set-list was beautifully constructed, and the addition of the strings and background vocalists nearly brought a tear to my eye at points. As much as I like my comedy, metal and hardcore, nothing can compare to the acoustic renditions of "Ladies And Gentlemen We're Floating In Space", "Broken Heart", "Stop Your Crying" and the rest of the 90-minutes of material I was lucky enough to experience. -Klaus

more reviews in the comments of the last post.

it was a beautiful show. i agree with the comments that there were idiots in the audience yelling moronic bullshit, but i don't see much wrong with people taking a couple of photos and some video. i took a couple of pictures and one 2 minute clip with my digital camera. i don't feel i was being totally disrespectful at all. being on the front row of the upper mezzanine, i think i was able to keep my camera low enough to avoid obstructing anyone's view. i really wanted to preserve some of the memory with my camera, i don't think that's such a terrible thing. i definitely didn't watch the whole show through my viewfinder. on the obnoxious scale, i find it way, way, way below the hecklers yelling at j to take off his sunnies. what the hell is that about?

anyways, the show was beautiful and perfect.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 8:29 AM

it was a very lovely show. i cringed every time some self-important jerk started hollering requests at the band, but thankfully they ignored it and kept on track with their performance, handling it gracefully (rather, not at all). i haven't seen spiritualized since 1993, so long ago i had pretty much forgotten much of that show. this was a nice way to be re-introduced.

Posted by janelle | November 19, 2007 8:43 AM

i saw spiritualized twice...once opening for radiohead on the ok computer tour and once at irving a few years back.

i like spacemen 3 and select spiritualized but i just never understood how people could go ape shit over their live show...pretty boring to me.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 9:34 AM

It was a beautiful show and I agree with Klaus that it was "probably one of the most perfect musical experiences in recent memory." Whoever did the sound deserves an award because that's a tough mix to get right and the sound was just amazing.

My only real complaint (yes, the idiots yelling out requests was as classless and annoying as the moron talking on his cellphone in front of me and the hipster dufus losers clogging up the bathroom doing blow) had to do with the drink prices, which were ridiculous. It appears that management at The Apollo jacked up the prices just for this show.

The friends who accompanied me to the Spiritualized show had been to The Apollo just a fews earlier for the Sharon Jones show and they said the drink prices were much lower then. $12 for a mixed drink and $7 for a warm Heinenken made me feel like I was in Soho.

Posted by BrooklynBS | November 19, 2007 10:24 AM

Springsteen has a great way of handling moronic fans when he does his acoustic shows. After the first song, he tells the audience that this is a quiet acoustic show, and if someone is chattering, please lean over and very kindly ask them to 'shut the f*ck up'. Works really well, actually.

Posted by edwyn the bear | November 19, 2007 10:27 AM

There were plenty of Europeans at the show making absolute asses of themselves with their loud and obnoxious comments, not just NYC Hipsters..Not only were the idiots behind me rude with thier constant kicking of my chair, endless chatter but one of them actually attempted to sing along to a few songs and was incredibly out of tune..

The show was very well done and while I refused to imbibe in the overpriced warm beverages at the Apollo, I found the venue the perfect environment for such an event.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 10:50 AM

From a post on the SPZ message board:

"For those going to the US shows, you'll be surprised to learn that they threw the whole thing together after only three days of being in the US - that includes hiring the gospel singers and string players because they couldn't afford to fly them over from the UK. In addition, they had to hire a different set of string players for the east coast dates because they didn't have the resources to fly the west coast performers over."

Also, the band will be touring electrically next year on the release of the new album.

Posted by These Blues | November 19, 2007 11:43 AM

"There were plenty of Europeans at the show making absolute asses of themselves with their loud and obnoxious comments"

i don't know if they were european or hipsters (frankly, who cares), but the people in front of me were talking to each other endlessly, texting, and getting up to get more drinks and use the restroom. i'm surprised that fans approaching or exceeding age 40 can't sit still for 90 minutes or just listen quietly.

the group got up and left before the encore, but then when the encore started, came back and stood in the aisle, where they proceeded to talk loudly during the entire encore! i had to ask them to be quiet. if they didn't want to hear it, why bother to return?

ugh.

Posted by anon | November 19, 2007 12:01 PM

I figured as such for the reasons above..Plus you can tell its a totally differnt cast of back-up characters if you watch the youtube clips from the Apollo show and the ones from the California.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 12:30 PM

This is where I'll insert the obligatory "Does anyone have the setlist?" remark. But seriously, does anyone have it?

Posted by J | November 19, 2007 12:31 PM

The show was absolutely amazing. I had mediocre expectations because I'm a fan of pierce's whizbang effects, but the show was fan-damn-tastic. As for some of the crowd, it seems that alot of NYC concertgoers have no common courtesy. No matter what show you go to there is always some jackass ruining the experience. Didn't your mommy and daddy tell you to respect other people when you were little?? Guess not...

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 12:43 PM

Here's the SF setlist and it looks pretty identical to me. Amazing grace, indeed.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 12:47 PM

what time did Daft Punk go on?

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 1:39 PM

what time did Daft Punk go on?

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 1:39 PM

So disappointing. The mix was so fucked, you could a.) hardly tell there was a string quartet present
b.) sounded like Jason Pierce's vocals and guitar were WAYYYYY too loud. At one point during the set he even signaled to have his mic turned up! c.) could hardly tell a choir was present

A good idea, kinda crap execution.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 1:46 PM

Ugh. Sounds like you need to go to an ear specialist. The mix was fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 1:58 PM

I was sitting in the first balcony a few rows back and the mix was perfect.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 2:03 PM

I was at the SF show. Seemed small and intimate with general seating at tables. Not one person yelled a request, so I guess we were lucky.
Also, from pics I saw, string players were exactly the same and there were 3 more singers added for the NY show. "Going Down Slow" was the highlight.

Posted by cincinnati | November 19, 2007 7:17 PM

I know i'm a bit late to the party on the comments, but though I didn't participate in the heckeling, I didn't mind it at all. It felt like a proper give and take, as if the audience was embrasing what was going on on stage and throwing the vibe right back. I think people just need to get their heads out of their asses. Nobody was yelling durring songs, so what harm was done? It made it more fun. Besides, one of the biggest problems that nobody mentioned is how the audience couldn't manage to show up for a gig at the Apollo a bit better dressed.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2008 6:32 PM