Posted in music on November 29, 2007

I'm running a little behind again today...

NME

Bigmouth has struck again and, heaven knows, he’s miserable now.

Morrissey is suing the NME and its editor for defamation after the music magazine quoted him on its cover this week as saying: “The Gates of England are flooded. The country’s been thrown away.”

The magazine lambasts the former Smiths frontman for taking a “naive and inflammatory” stance on immigration by employing language that “dangerously echoes” the British National Party’s current manifesto.

Morrissey’s reported comments come 15 years after the NME accused him of experimenting with racist imagery in some of his solo songs and by draping himself in a Union Jack at a gig in Finsbury Park, North London. The singer, 48, says that his words have been taken out of context and now, after one of the most intense relationships in British music, Morrissey and the NME could be heading for the High Court. [TimesOnline]

Does anyone care what Morrissey says anymore?? He goes into hiding for years then comes back when he needs some more cash/attention. Guy needs to get real.

Posted by Fidel Castro | November 29, 2007 6:15 PM

Regardless: Latinos love Morrissey.

Posted by Raul | November 29, 2007 6:15 PM

What's this? A Pete Doherty solo album?

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2007 7:03 PM

if he knows it's false then why does he care? lulz

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2007 7:22 PM

NME = Trash!

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2007 11:54 PM

ZOMG PETE SOLO ALBUM I MUST GET TIT OLOL

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2007 12:54 AM

Why is this news again? I can remember in the late 80's/early 90's he was saying the same things and it was creating the same degree of controversy. I also remember a big row about the quasi racial ways he complained about dance/electronic music that was big at the time as well.

Posted by anonymous | November 30, 2007 7:22 AM

NME and Moz need each other more than ever. Sad, really.
Next week's cover:
Noel Gallagher: "Women are a pain in the arse. Who really needs 'em anyway?"

Posted by Christopher | November 30, 2007 7:36 AM

I think Moz's comments were innocuous enough, but suing makes no sense. Moz should just let the matter drop and be forgotten about.

Posted by Dan | November 30, 2007 8:41 AM

he's suing because they won't post a retraction not for finanical gain.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2007 9:32 AM

I hear he gives good head.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2007 10:05 AM

his name is spelled s-t-e-v-e-n

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2007 11:05 AM

maybe a ouiji board would work for him

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2007 11:27 AM

That statement is in no way racist.

One of these days all the upper-middle class bleeding heart liberals will understand that their "empathy" for the plight of illegal immigrants is just self-serving support for the creation of a societally sanctioned underclass. It's slavery by a different name. Of course nowadays the slaves have $200 sneakers and big screen tv's...

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2007 11:45 AM

no way Gerard Way's NEW COMMIC THAT EVEN BIGGER NEWS!

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2007 9:46 AM

Yes, he is representing...racism and intoleration in people..the good part, right?? BUT HE IS ONLY SAYING WHAT HE IS THINKING..right?

remember, even Hitler was representing people, right??
the fear and hate!!
but people are quickly forgetting..(or they don’t even know ?? sorry, they are common)..

I like his MUSIC, but HE is VERY (VERY) STUPID getting even close to saying something like that..

I would like to know if people in Italy have something against his accent..

Arrogant and stupid

Posted by real world | December 2, 2007 5:08 AM

No No No.
The NME has manipulated Morrissey's words, and carved it into a disgustingly tabloidly article. The Writer who orginally took the interview asked for his name to be removed from the article, as he didn't like the way the NME were rewriting the article. As a regular buyer of New Musical Express magazine, I feel ashamed that such a stupid story degrading such a fantastically celebrated singer and performer graces the pages.
MORRISSEY IS CLEARLY NOT RACIST.
What he APPARANTLY SAID (that is if the exact words are to be believed) was that the more and more immigrates that pour into England, the tinier and tinier British identity becomes. He also says, quite truthfully, that the levels of immigration in England are far greater than many other countries. This means, like he says in the interview, that we here in England are losing our indentity quicker than other countries.
What he says is true.
Immigration is a wonderous thing, and it enriches the cultures in this country and it is, in general, a fantastic thing.
However, the NME have manipulated his words to make his accurate opinions on immigration the focus of the interview.
Morrissey is god.

Posted by R | December 5, 2007 3:08 PM

Well it's such a shame that Morrissey says these racist things because the smith's music is really good but it makes me feel different towards there music when I hear all this stuff he says.

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2008 11:48 PM

You people are horrible. It's people like you that trash good things. I dont understand this. The comments range from Mozzer is an idiot and rasict to "...I like his MUSIC, but HE is VERY (VERY) STUPID getting even close to saying something like that"

I can't believe this. I mean, I'm 17 years old. I am an Arab-Muslim, born in America. Nobody...no one my age has even hear of Morrizzey or The Smiths. And I don't care. I don't care if I listen to "unusual music" To me their stupid music is unusual. I have been listenting to Morrissey and The Smiths for four years now. I am totally not close to the age of most Moz fans. I love his music. His words are amazing. He is a true person. Not a rasict.

It's like you people aren't even reading Morrissey's statement. I dunno...this just got me really irritated.

Posted by kyo | December 16, 2008 12:41 AM

Latinos may love Morrissey but at the end of the day you are all only human, its like you think your superior to the rest of the fans.

Posted by CarlyMC17 | April 28, 2009 7:56 AM

I just can't understand why people would want to do something like that, why do they dislike him so much?
just because he's talented!

Posted by CarlyMC17 | April 28, 2009 7:58 AM

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, I HOPE ALL OF YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES DIE,
MORRISSEY IS A LEGEND AND HE ALWAYS WILL BE, AND FUCK OFF IF YOU DON'T APPRECIATE HIM, OH MY GOD I WISH YOU WERE ALLLL FUCKING DEAD,
UGH
GET
A
FUCKING
LIFE
H8

Posted by BUD BUD | March 7, 2011 3:51 PM

Fuck sake leave morrissey alone you dicks. You all need to calm the fuck down morrissey is an utter legend so you haters can go screw.

Posted by matey | March 7, 2011 3:56 PM