Posted in To Do | music on November 1, 2007

CONTEST: Win a pair of tickets to see Figurines & Dappled Cities at Mercury Lounge tonight now by emailing BVCONTESTS@HOTMAIL.COM(subject: Figurines). Include your first and last name. One winner will be picked right away and emailed back.

dick in a box @ Flavorpill Halloween party, NYC - Oct 31, 2007 (CRED)
Dicks in a box

* The Thermals are playing Warsaw
* The Coathangers are playing Death By Audio
* Be Your Own Pet are at Maxwell's
* Phil Lesh & friends are at Nokia Theatre
* Bon Jovi plays another show at the Prudential Center
* Figurines & Dappled Cities are at Mercury Lounge

So many big indie rock choices to choose from tonight (with now one less than there was) - not good considering I feel like I should not leave home for at least another day or two.

The Sex Pistols embarrassed punk rock on Leno. Then they did it again on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (kind of boring and horrible) Video below. What else?

"Pretty Vacant"

(video via)

set times for the rogue wave show anyone??

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 5:00 PM

Todd Barry celebrates 20 years in comedy and helps fight leukemia and lymphoma at UNION HALL! Featuring SARAH VOWELL + DAVID CROSS + MICHAEL SHOWALTER + ERIC SLOVIN & LEO ALLEN + HEATHER LAWLESS

And a guest so special that when I heard who it was I almost threw up.

Tonight! $20! 7:30pm! A few tickets available at the door!

Posted by klaus_kinski | November 1, 2007 5:00 PM

rogue wave - 11
POB - 10
TV - 9

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 5:04 PM

The first volume of this year's CMJ music sampler is out in case anyone is interested....
Not sure if it's available anywhere other than EMusic, that's the only place I've seen it so far. Did Pete Rock play CMJ this year? Seems to be a bunch of artists that I dont remember playing at CMJ.....

Posted by Jimbo | November 1, 2007 5:38 PM

hey happy world vegan day!!!!

Posted by another vegan | November 1, 2007 5:45 PM

sufjan pronounced b-o-r-i-n-g

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 6:01 PM

the octagon + i love you + the yoko @ cake shop!

fiction plane (sting's son!) @ pianos!

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 6:15 PM

This sham calling themselves the "Sex Pistols" are embarassing both themselves and an entire culture partly built upon what they once achieved.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 6:16 PM

There's actually two less shows than there was, since John Roderick cancelled Union Hall and stayed home to help KEXP by answering phones for the pledge drive...

see ya at Rogue Wave tonight

Posted by hipster replacement | November 1, 2007 6:41 PM

Sin City is on Skinamax tonight.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 6:45 PM

I'm freezing my ass off tonight, and it's only November 1 and the temperature is still in the mid-fifties.

Posted by wuss | November 1, 2007 9:06 PM

I didn't think that was embarrassing. It was quick and they did their thing. What the fuck does "punk rock" even mean?

Posted by Davis | November 2, 2007 2:05 AM

It's at half-speed, but the Pistols video wasn't nearly as bad as I'd worried it would be. Definitely not Rolling-Stones-Superbowl-Halftime-Show-embarrassing. Lydon's still ten billion times more interesting to watch than, say, Avril Lavigne.

Fondle them man boobies with pride, Johnny boy.

Posted by J | November 2, 2007 2:47 AM

Did anyone go to the Be Yr Own Pet gig last night at Maxwell's? They were awful. There were only about 40 people there. The only postive light was that they played some of the new material which is pretty good. Other than that, the band was completely shit faced during the set, fucking up pretty much every song. I saw them at Maxwell's in June 2006 and they were much better (not by much) that night.

Posted by qweebaroo! | November 2, 2007 9:36 AM

I saw Figurines and Dapples Cities on Halloween - was prepared for it to blow hard... but they were totally rockin'! I really enjoyed the show, would recommend it for tonight.

Posted by ckc | November 2, 2007 11:09 AM

I've only seen Be Your Own Pet once, it was when they opened up for Arctic Monkeys @ Hammerstein and they were absolutely dreadful, how the hell did those talentless idiots get a record deal?

Who'd Jemina sleep with may be a better question...

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2007 10:05 PM

another vegan, how can you have heard Illinois or Michigan and think Sufjan is boring? I'd say genius.

Posted by J | May 1, 2008 12:30 PM