Posted in To Do | music on November 18, 2007

American Music Favorites

* American Music Awards
* VNV Nation is at Music Hall
* Ani Difranco is playing Town Hall
* The Bird and the Bee are @ the Gramercy Theatre
* Buck 65 was moved from Bowery Ballroom to Mercury Lounge

Slash BookThe American Music Awards are on tonight, The White Stripes (friends of Beck) are up for Favorite "Alternative Rock Music" Artist. Their competition? Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance (only three artists are nominated in each category). Nickelback, Maroon 5 & Linkin Park are competing for "Favorite Band, Duo or Group". I guess there's no reason to watch that one. Performers include Duran Duran (who were recently affected by the Broadway strike) and Rihanna (who appears on a new disc of Def Jam rarities). Slash (who has a new book out) and Gene Simmons (who doesn't care about Radiohead) are both presenting awards.

Speaking of awards, below you'll find a bunch of videos from the mtvU ones (including one of Spank Rock live-blogging). What else?

Naeem of Spank Rock live-blogging....

UPDATE: There were more videos here, but since they all started playing at the same time, I had to remove them. Pictures HERE, and watch it all at MTV's site.

damn. nickelback? really?

Posted by kyle | November 18, 2007 4:20 PM

Melissa Faith / Tommy Ramone @ Knitting Factory

Posted by Eduardo | November 18, 2007 4:38 PM

No secret to anyone that reads this blog that the current state of American "Pop" music remains dismal but the 2007 American Music Awards really drove that point home.

I know the writer's strike certainly didn't help but from that idiot tripping through glass to Jimmy Kendall's lame "Soulja Boy" dance skit attempt to the several victories by Daughtry, if there was ever a time pop music appeared as lame and unthreatening since the early/mid 70's pre-punk era, I hope we never have to relive it too. If there is a new Iggy or Snoop Dogg out there, we need you NOW!

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2007 9:43 PM

"Buck 65 was moved from Bowery Ballroom to Mercury Lounge"

HA-HA!

Posted by Nelson Muntz | November 18, 2007 9:53 PM

mainstream music is at an all time low. "indie" music isn't far behind.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2007 10:40 PM

"mainstream music is at an all time low. "indie" music isn't far behind."

Indie is also at an all time low. I have never seen so many people get so excited over such low quality music.

So what exactly is "Alternative Rock Music" an alterative to? Those bands are all Top 40.

I've always been a fan of My Bloody Valentine but when people are excited at their return you know very little is going on in the current indie music scene.

Posted by jjazznola | November 19, 2007 12:53 AM

Complete list of winners at the American Music Awards:

_Pop-rock:

Male artist: Justin Timberlake

Female artist: Fergie

Band, duo or group: Nickelback

Album: "Daughtry," Daughtry

_Soul-R&B:

Male artist: Akon

Female artist: Rihanna

Album: "FutureSex/LoveSounds," Justin Timberlake

_Rap-hip-hop:

Male artist: T.I.

Band, duo or group: Bone Thugs-n-Harmony

Album: "T.I. vs. T.I.P.," T.I.

_Country:

Linkin Park

_Latin:

Jennifer Lopez

_Contemporary inspirational:

Casting Crowns

_Soundtracks:

Album: "High School Musical 2"

_T-Mobile Text-In Award:

Carrie Underwood

_International award:

Beyonce

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 1:22 AM

Complete list of winners at the American Music Awards: Crap, crap & more crap!

Is this realy what America listens to?

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 2:58 AM

The VNV Nation show at Music Hall was one of the better live experiences I've had... first time at the new venue and I was way impressed with the sound and the intimate feeling in the large venue..

Posted by Matt | November 19, 2007 9:39 AM

Is this really what America listens to? Who won at the awards? no one.. we're all a nation of losers if this is what we call entertainment, or popular culture.. MTV and iTunes are the fucking downfall of our civilization.. the calming of our society making us sheep to be herded by big business music.. capitalism my fucking ass..

Kill your idols... American Idols... fuck me I hate this place...

Posted by Angry Matt | November 19, 2007 9:44 AM

"I hate this place"

So which nations (if any) have widely popular music that you approve of?

Posted by Q. Rius | November 19, 2007 12:41 PM