Posted in MP3 | music | tour dates on November 6, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Grizzly Bear - On a Neck, On a Spit (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Fischerspooner - Megacolon (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Antony & The Johnsons - Cripple And The Starfish (MP3)

Ed Droste, Casey Spooner, Antony Hegarty
Ed Droste, Casey Spooner, Antony Hegarty

You probably heard: some writers are on strike. That means no new late night TV right now. That means Band of Horses didn't get to play Conan last night, Kanye West didn't get to play Letterman, and it means that Grizzly Bear don't get to play Conan tonight (Nov 6, 2007). They'll probably reschedule the performances, but Grizzly Bear misses out on a TV appearance that was going to synchronize perfectly with the release of their new EP. Friend (the latest addition to the 8.0 club) is out now. Order it from Insound to get a free limited edition silkscreen poster.

Grizzly Bear FriendsSpeaking of Grizzly Bear, they performed at the Society of Ethical Culture in NYC on Saturday night (Nov 3, 2007) - part of the Wordless Music Series - to an audience that included Paul Simon (an artist that Grizzly Bear is known to cover, and who they did cover also that night). It was the same night that GB's "friend" Feist was playing right across town on Saturday Night Live. And speaking of SNL, that's another TV show that might not air this week if the writers don't get what they want. That means Amy Winehouse won't get to play it....or maybe she's not playing it already....I'm confused (she is definitely not playing the Woodies though - for "visa issues" related to the drug stuff).

Sigur Ros also has a new CD out today, and Sigur Ros also played the Wordless Music Series recently (October 5th to be exact). .

Grizzly Bear @ Wordless Music Series, NYC - NOV 3, 2007 (CRED)
Grizzly Bear @ Wordless Music Series

As Ed pointed out early in the set, this show was an unofficial end of tour celebration of sorts, as the band had been on the road for most of the past year and a half. Usually when this is the case, the performance can go one of two ways. One option is that the band is so drained and sick and tired of playing the same songs that they launch into a sort of auto-pilot self parody (see the Strokes at the end of their "Room on Fire" tour). The preferable option, however, is that the combination of having become so technically in control of one's material coupled with the euphoria of playing a hometown show with the finish line in sight will make for something altogether different and spectacular. [read the rest @ Ear Farm]
Sigur Ros @ Wordless Music Series, NYC - Oct 5, 2007 (CRED)
Sigur Ros @ Wordless Music Series
Secondly, beautiful show not just the sigur ros part. And yes Sufjan was there. I was sitting right in back of him along with 2 of the guys from The National. They were all impatient and left right before Sigur Ros came on. Poor Sufjan was complaining he had to get out of there. Hard to blame him cause it was a sauna in there. Also there was Superwolf Matt or Chavez Matt however you like supporting his buddy Will. Great show and got to see Sigur Ros play the same amount of songs they are playing tomorrow night for umm lets see 35 dollars less. [Anonymous]
But wait, what is that photo on the top of this post you ask? Oh yeah, Ed Droste of Grizzly Bear has been named one of this year's Out 100 ("the men and women who made 2007 a year to remember") - a list that also includes James St. James, Beth Ditto (The Gossip), Bianca Casady (Cocorosie), Marc Almond, Owen Pallett (Final Fantasy), Nico Muhly, Casey Spooner (Fischerspooner), and Antony. That's Casey and Antony in the picture with Ed (some new "friends"?). Nico isn't pictured on the Out site yet, but he did recently play the same Wordless Music Series show that Sigur Ros played (the "not just the sigur ros part")....

Nico Muhly @ Wordless Music Series, NYC - OCT 5, 2007 (CRED)
Sigur Ros @ Wordless Music Series

Grizzly Bear are playing one more NYC (mini) show before taking a break for a long time - it's tomorrow (Nov 7th) @ the Virgin Union Square Megastore in NYC (7pm, free).

And in case you missed it, the friends that appear on Grizzly Bear's new EP are Beirut, Dirty Projectors, CSS, Band of Horses, CSS and Deerhunter. Will Oldham is not one of Grizzly Bear's friends, but Will ("his buddy Will" in the review above) did also perform at that now-legendary "Wordless" show in October too...

Will Oldham sang words @ Wordless Music Series, NYC - Oct 5, 2007 (CRED)
Sigur Ros @ Wordless Music Series

Phosphorescent (also not one of Grizzly Bear's friends, but hopefully will be one day) is not Will Oldham, but he has the ability to sound like him.

Upcoming Wordless Music Series shows include Mum, Max Richter, and Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead.

Sigur Ros have a bunch of upcoming DVD screenings.

Also see:
* Bjork loves Nico Muhly
* An interview with Ed Droste of Grizzly Bear
* Ed Droste & Owen Pallett in bed
* Beth Ditto nude on the cover of NME
* Williamsburg Will Oldham Horror
* Cocorosie vs. Pitchfork vs. Antony & John Darnielle

It is a shame there is no mention of Michael Harrison in this post, he was MESMERIZING and rather trance inducing. I for one have never heard a piano like that. At times it sounded like a background of gregorian chant, other times angelic harmonies and/or strings and then there was the deep vibrating sound of some massive percussion instrument... all coming from the piano. Really impressive!

Grizzly Bear was great as well. The acoustics in that place were beautiful.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 12:50 PM

Posted by Ghostbuster | November 6, 2007 12:51 PM

"so I very much doubt they were in NY last night."

Oct 5 does not equal last night.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 12:54 PM

Grizzly Bear were so, so, so good Saturday night. They were great when Horn of Plenty came out, then Yellow House came and blew my mind. Now their live show has eclipsed even that. My expectations for their next album are frightfully high.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 1:00 PM

i'll second Anon @ 1:00 , although Horn of Plenty didn't really "click" for me until later on

awesome stuff

meanwhile, why is casey spooner of any importance this year? Has he done something I'm unaware of?

Posted by zach | November 6, 2007 1:10 PM

"meanwhile, why is casey spooner of any importance this year? "

wondering the same thing

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 1:17 PM

I'd pay good money to ensure that Antony never sings in public again....if only I had some good money. Damn do I hate that dude-lady.

Posted by Jimbo | November 6, 2007 1:21 PM

antony hegarty is a chick right?

Posted by hipster poseur | November 6, 2007 1:21 PM

oh come on, are people still antony bashing? I'm not a huge fan, but he's a man, he has a unique voice and it's not for all.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 1:24 PM

nico muhly is a cutie!

Posted by tart | November 6, 2007 1:25 PM

Both of these last Wordless shows were incredible....the Mum shows this weekend are going to be even better I think

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 1:26 PM

The Grizzlies closed their set Saturday with a new song that was immediately likable. That bodes well for the next lp.

Posted by drewo | November 6, 2007 1:27 PM

"That anonymous dude is full of shit. The National are currently in the UK. I saw them play Manchester on the 4th and they're playing Birmingham tonight, so I very much doubt they were in NY last night.

Posted by Ghostbuster | November 6, 2007 12:51 PM"

Way to learn how to read dickhead. Probably should have guessed he was a moron from the lame name he chose to post under.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 1:29 PM

I read November. My apologies.

Posted by Ghostbuster | November 6, 2007 1:34 PM

nico muhly IS a cutie and very talented. If only he and grizzly bear would collaborate, I know from his blog they are friends. that would be really special.

NY magazine LOVES HIM

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 2:11 PM

it's true, michael harrison was really good. it's a disappointment that contrary to the purpose of the Wordless Music Series (which i guess is to bring together different kinds of musicians on the same bill) people choose only to cover one portion of the concerts, whatever is the most widely known. it's a bummer because michael harrison put on quite a show...

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 2:16 PM

I found Mr. Harrison to be interesting as times but sometimes a bit musak-enya -ish for me. I enjoyed his detuned piano, and skill but the arrangements often left me feeling sort of "meh"

I do agree he should receive more coverage for his part of the show, but in my opinion it was grizzly bear's show and even if I was there to see MH, they stole the show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 2:21 PM

He did. The crowd really wore themselves out clapping for him, and he seemed quite pleased.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 2:22 PM

"He did" meaning he put on quite a show.

Posted by Anon 2:21 | November 6, 2007 2:25 PM

I want to have Nico Muhly's babies. (His CD is kind of boring though.)

Posted by Matt | November 6, 2007 2:40 PM

Harrison was very good - as described by someone else above, he had a mesmerizing quality. The only bad thing was that his last piece was much much much longer than any of the previous ones. I'm sure he played for a perfectly reasonable length of time, but because of the length of the last piece, (and my excitement to see Grizzly Bear for a fourth and final time this tour), it seemed to go on for a while.

Grizzly Bear have never sounded so good. I hope that they play some church or large-theater venues following the next album. I've seen them in a tiny overly-loud bar, and outside, and now in this church, and the large indoor space really captures what makes Yellow House so great. Every instrument could be identified, even all of Chris Taylor's... which is usually not the case in smaller, crappier venues.

Some other highlights:
Colorado. Colorado live is a whole different beast.

The new song. Oh, the new song. As was stated above - likable from the beginning... then when the backup harmonies kicked in mid-song, immediately lovable. I can't wait for the next album.

My only 'complaint': I would have loved to hear Showcase live one last time. This is a song that is totally transformed by the band's experience since releasing Horn of Plenty. When played live, this is one of my favorite Grizzly Bear songs. Unfortunately I've never found a bootleg of it live, only a crappy video on youtube. I would have loved to hear it on Saturday, since... when the next album is released, the songs from Horn of Plenty are likely to be played less and less at shows. The 'updated' version of Showcase needs to be made available in some form!!

Posted by Paul | November 6, 2007 2:59 PM

"Marla was played, and it never sounded so good. I've never heard them play it live before."

The only other time they played it was at the 826NYC Beacon Theatre show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 3:05 PM

not true my friend in chicago said they played it there, i think the first time was at the 826 and second time in NYC was at the wordless show....

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 3:11 PM

"meanwhile, why is casey spooner of any importance this year? "

Spooner hasn't done much this year, but the man is working on a new album. With that said, that kid from Grizzly Bear is lucky to be standing next to him. I have yet to see a current band (from Brooklyn or elsewhere) come close to what what Fischerspooner achieved on #1 record. Sure, it's not wimpy-ass-acoustic-music, so it might no longer be in vogue on this site, but go ahead, watch the video for "Emerge" and tell me of a current group that can match that.

Posted by Sandra | November 6, 2007 3:28 PM

sandra= LOL

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 3:44 PM

Don't get me wrong, not hatin' on anyone, but anyone trashing Spooner deserves a kick in the nuts.

Posted by Sandra | November 6, 2007 3:47 PM

Sandra, "Emerge" IS a great video. But I generally like bands for their music, not their videos. And that video is two albums old.

I can't imagine anybody who's seen Grizzly Bear live calling them wimpy. That is ridiculous.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 3:54 PM

I think they're talented, dont' get me wrong. Just not my cup o' tea. ;)

Posted by Sandra | November 6, 2007 3:59 PM

I like all three artists pictured. But I must admit I haven't heard from anything in the Casey Spooner department for ages, hence the confusion of why he's in the top OUT 100 for 2007

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 4:07 PM

Thank you, Sandra, for pointing out what was missing from Saturday's performance: spring-loaded tear-away jumpsuits! Really would've pushed those climactic moments over the top.
Okay, the thought of this amuses me way too much.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 4:11 PM

Hey douche, as long as you had fun I guess that's all that matters...

Posted by Sandra | November 6, 2007 4:51 PM

GB contributed a beautiful epic to the recently-released "Worried Noodles" comp. The whole thing looks pretty cool, but you can just buy their song from iTunes if you want. It's called "Blackcurrant Jam". It's the nicest jam you can have.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 4:55 PM

Dear Sandra,

Please acquire a sense of humor. It makes life easier.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 4:59 PM

sandra vs anon. I want to see this FIGHT IN PERSON

Posted by adiffanon | November 6, 2007 5:03 PM

anon would win due to sheer #

-anon

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 5:11 PM

Don't count Sandra out- she's not afraid to employ the dreaded "kick in the nuts" technique.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 5:21 PM

Is there a Grizzly / Tv on the Radio show at the Tribeca Grand on Wednesday night? Anyone have details what that is?

Posted by Daniel | November 6, 2007 11:36 PM

The Friend ep really isnt good at all. I also hate how they are just trying to show how many musicians friends they have. I think this is really making me not like them.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2007 12:53 AM

Of course you're entitled to your opinion on the Friend EP. I think it's really good, myself. But why on earth would GB need to prove how many musician friends they have?! Don't be silly.

Posted by friends with GB | November 7, 2007 8:46 AM

obviously it is tongue in cheek ANON @ 12:53

anyone that takes that too seriously is ridiculous

look at the inside picture , it's clearly a total joke.
I'm glad they aren't overly precious like some wing bearing, BQE composing twats I know of

Posted by u be wrong | November 7, 2007 10:48 AM

I just saw Grizzly Bear at Virgin. Can anyone tell me about the last song they played. Is it on an album?

Thanks.

Posted by The Urban Naturalist | November 7, 2007 8:37 PM

that was great. it's not out yet. saw them twice in last week. so good

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2007 9:35 PM