Posted in music on December 6, 2007

"There’s a world of cross-references in Dirty Projectors’ music: stuttering modal riffs from Mali, the meandering melodies of opera or modern music theater, pygmy antiphonal vocals, Captain Beefheart, Zimbabwean and Congolese rock, King Crimson, Talking Heads, Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks. Usually Mr. Longstreth sustained a sweetly androgynous croon as the music jittered all around him, but in “Police Story” — set to slow tom-tom thumps, steady guitar chords and a descant from the women’s voices — he followed his winding, leaping melody up to a yelping crescendo of desperation." [NY Times]

More on the Bowery show HERE.

Wow, Jon Pareles is really off his rocker now. But suprisingly, I just farted and it sounded exactly like he just described. I guess i am as innovative as The Dirty Projectors. I think i will release a farting cd version of Minor Threat's first album.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 8:55 AM

dude - if you seriously can't see artistry in Dirty Projectors music then I frankly feel sorry for you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:01 AM

8:55 why do I get the feeling the most challenging music you have ever heard is the Bravery?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:07 AM

Anon 9:01am, you are kidding right? Many people do not see the artistry in this music or at least do not see what the big deal is. As i recall, this show at Bowery Ballroom was NOT sold out and this was the big huge showcase show for them. With how many records out now? Hmmm, what is that about getting famous?
I suspect the problem here is you are the dumbshit hipster moron with a really miniscule frame of musical reference who would think this is such amazing innovative music.
But i guess that goes without saying to someone who thinks "getting famous" is some kind of measure of success or artistry.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:13 AM

Anon 9:07am, Actually i would say the same thing about you considering you think this band is the most challenging music you have heard in a long time.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:15 AM

"As i recall, this show at Bowery Ballroom was NOT sold out"

not that it matter, but by the time DP went on, it looked sold out to me.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:25 AM

hey dumbass, 9:13 - the Bowery show did sell out.

I don't think getting famous proves anything at all - lot's of unworthy people get famous and I've been a big fan of this band for many years while they languished in cut obscurity - but it's obvious that their (or anyone's) getting famous sure does bring out the naysaying jealous boobs, such as yourself.

I know you really really wish it was -you- getting all the attention, but alas, there's just no justice in this world for your brand of embittered crank jerk!

-nobody- is as viscerally hate filled as you are without it being rooted in jealousy. you look like an ass!

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:27 AM

"dumbshit hipster moron with a really miniscule frame of musical reference"

"It's real heartbreaking that you're not the one getting famous, bud - but try to take it like a grown up and don't shit on those that are."

"I think i will release a farting cd version of Minor Threat's first album."

ugh, why don't you people just fuck and get it over with???

you sound so hateful and gross.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:29 AM

i think that the problem here is that dirty projectors make quasi-experimental indie music, not always successfully, that shares sounds and styles with numerous bands that have come before them and numerous bands that will come after. it may be very good, but it simply doesn't stand up to such hyperbolic reviews, not that they have anything to do with said criticism. When you start reference-dropping "pygmy antiphonal vocals" you're bound to get a little bit of backlash.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:35 AM

you're so zen dude! rise above the fray - such a mature attitude. you're inspiring 9:29! I think I'm going to go become a pacifist and roll around in fields of flowers all day.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:36 AM

"I think i will release a farting cd version of Minor Threat's first album."

I would love to hear that.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:36 AM

"rather than disagreeing with the idiotic bullies of the world, we should all adopt your attitude and avoid all confrontation all the time. that always works."

you think that you are actively confronting ANYONE by posting anonymously on an internet message board?

yeah man, I'm a hippie and you're a fucking revolutionary.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:45 AM

It's a shame you can't, or won't, see it, but Dirty Projectors are really worth the hype. Excellent musicians playing music that is complex and impressive technically, and simultaneously is strikingly passionate, catchy pop music.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:46 AM

This all reminds me of my interview with Bill O'Reilly.

What it seems the haters are trying to accomplish is a dampening effect. You know when you have an overenthusiastic friend who is suddenly becomes obsessed with something and your reaction is to automatically try and bring him/her back to a more balanced perspective by challenging every hyperbole that flies from their mouth? In the real world situation, you would tend to use humor and not make it personal. On the World Wide Web (WWW), the lack of seeing someone face to face makes much of the humor lost, the ad hominum attacks fly, and the result is polarization.

I've explored this earlier in the Grateful Dead comparison, an anaogy I feel will hold, albeit on a much smaller scale (as much as people express devotion to the Dead Projectors, nobody will be following them on a cross country tour). Let's try and keep this civil, shall we?

Anyone read Thomas Friedman's op-ed in the Times yesterday? Usually, I find his writing ludicris and laughable, though today's piece was a breath of Fresh Air (airs M-F, 3pm-4pm on the east coast, check npr.org for times and broadcasts on demand).

Posted by Terry Gross | December 6, 2007 9:51 AM

hey there 9:45 - what I'm actively doing is making a point. What the hell are you doing?

you telling others to shut up serves no purpose except to give you a chance to say snappy tripe like "you should just fuck and get it over with." That's not even an original comeback. you suck worse than the other asshole - at least he had something to say.

If you don't like all the arguing, stop reading Brooklyn Vegan comments, ya pussy!

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:51 AM

Hahaha what is funny is the fucking shitheads who go crazy when someone has the gall to think this band is not the second coming of god and actually see them for what they are
They then come out of the woodwork screaming and ranting and calling the person hateful etc etc. These stupid fucks also crow that oh it is just one person posting anonymously all the time.
It is just hilarious to watch in all honesty.
And as a fact you dumb hipsters, the Bowery show was not in fact sold out. Sorry to dissapoint you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:53 AM

"the Bowery show was not in fact sold out. Sorry to dissapoint you."

not true. the show sold out at the door. I was there when they made the call.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:59 AM

"I think the problem here is that it's become a fashionable cool kid pose to shun enthusiasm and never see merit in any art our culture produces.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:46 AM"

I think the problem here is that it has nothing to do with being fashionable or trying to be the cool kid. I, and many many others just do not think this band is all that. Simply Put. Get over It. I and many many others do not think the music is all that complex or impressive technically nor do we think its passionate catchy pop music. Sorry. Learn to deal with it.
I think the problem here is with a minor amount of people who think this band is such an amazing piece of work cannot fathom how others do not think it is.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:59 AM

""the Bowery show was not in fact sold out. Sorry to dissapoint you."

not true. the show sold out at the door. I was there when they made the call.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:59 AM"

This is just wrong as wrong can get. Trust me I know cause i work in the concert industry and of course i am not gonna say in what capacity or who i work for so dont try it. But I promise you, this show was not in fact a sell out although you can keep saying it was. Delusion apparently works for many of you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:03 AM

Is this band dirtier than the Decemberists?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:08 AM

seeing an insipid argument such as this one makes me wonder if people actually do have anything better to with their time...

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:08 AM

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other about the Dirty Projectors, but I sure do admire their fans after seeing their behavior here the past two days. I wish other bands that get trashed by msg board low-lifes on this site had fans half as eloquent and even-keeled. The amount of blind hate that gets thrown around here is abhorrent and it's nice to see it get checked every once in awhile.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:10 AM

anono 9:53, 9:15, 9:13, 8:55 (as if you weren't just one bored-ass dude typing away in your 9AM freshman NYU seminar...)

give it a rest! newsflash -- people who simply don't like bands don't talk about them this much or this defensively. all this negative motivation couldn't possibly come from just disgust at the music, unless you're completely insane.

so go find some other topic to go off about - other than reflexively saying no, no, no to anything fawning others have said about this band, what of any substance have you offered to make a point?

Do you think the harmonies are off? that the melodies aren't catchy? that the structures and composition are predictable? that the girls aren't hot enough for your taste?

Give us all some detail on why -anybody- would waste this much time and energy trying to convince strangers -not- to like something.

I'd really love to hear about something you actually do like, some current band you love that is the pinnacle of innovation and genius.

But everybody here knows that's not gonna happen, undoubtedly you'll never admit to liking anyone who hasn't been safely dead or broken up for 30 years.

a little reminder - even the classic bands were contemporary bands in their day - and they had blockheaded naysayers just like yourself. Somehow, they managed to be brilliant in spite of you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:17 AM

I don't know why anyone would try so hard to convince people otherwise, but that show that the Dirty Projectors played at Bowery Ballroom on Tuesday sold out at the door, at around 10:45 that night.

is here some reason you want this band marginalized, 10:03? It's verging on pathological. Why lie so brazenly?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:23 AM

In response to Anon 10:10am's statement that we the people who do not like DP are low lifes while their fans are eloquent and even keeled I present....

"hey dumbass, 9:13 - the Bowery show did sell out."

"But, I suspect the real problem here is that you're a naysaying hater dumbshit who doesn't even listen before he disses other people's accomplishments."

Yes extremely eloquent and even keeled.

How's that for getting checked

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:24 AM

Terry Gross is the new Taco Time for Mom & Dad.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:29 AM

10:24 - you brought those statements upon yourself.

you presented yourself as a dumbass, and a naysaying hater dumbshit - neither of these descriptions of you are out of line. You are irritating and blindly negative.

Accept that these statements made about your comments on this page, they are accurate.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:30 AM

Anon 10:17am
well first here we go again with the conspiracy theory that the omly person saying this band is not all that is just one person.
secondly, why must anyone who does not agree with your opinion have to state who they like or who they think is great to make their opinion any more justified. Why is it justified for the minor amount of people who find rapture within this band to post their heated defense but for the many who disagree we have to be insane to post otherwise?
The logic you used in that long winded crap was just that.
But since you seem to want to have some name of another band that someone on here who doesnt like Dirty Projectors in fact does like, how about Battles. They are far more musically complex and innovative than Dirty Projectors. Especially considering the pedigree to which some of the members of that band come from. Specifically Tyondai's father Anthony Braxton. Now you want to talk about challenging and complex and innovative music?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:36 AM

10:03 - you've earned everyone of those statements. You have come across blindly negative - and oddly aggressive and bitter - about shoving your opinion about this band down everyone else's throat.

Unfortunate that you haven't contributed interesting or intelligent points to support your attitude, but you keep expressing it, more bullyingly each time.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:37 AM

"how about Battles"

how about knowing that battles and dirty projectors have been tour mates?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:40 AM

Pedigree? what are you a nazi? that scarcely even deserves a response.

for the record you don't know the first thing about Ty Braxton - his father may be Anthony Braxton, but the two barely speak to each other and had little to no relationship when Ty was growing up. Why would you possibly reference his famous dad as a contributing factor in his "brilliance"? What difference does one band member's estranged dad make to a band's talent?

your hero Ian Williams was at the Dirty Projectors show, btw, and was watching intently - by all appearances enjoying it a lot. I saw him chatting up Longstreth afterwards for quite awhile.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:47 AM

Terry at 9:51am - thanks for the Thomas Friedman op-ed piece suggestion. About the only worthy thing among these comments.

Posted by drewo | December 6, 2007 10:47 AM

Oh please make this nonsense stop already. I have been readling these posts this morning at work and it is just getting lower and lower by the moment.

Jumping into the fray for just a second though, let me agree with the people who say this band is way over hyped. I do feel that way and I do not need to name other bands to validate this point.

Also, it is pretty crazy that Anonymous posters who love this group are calling the Anonymous posters who hate this group the work of one person. You make the guy's argument about you being morons way too easy.

But I am sure you will now claim I am this person so until Brooklyn Vegan posts ip addresses next to the comments you are free to think what you like.

Oh and for the record, I do not know if this show sold out or not but to the person who claims the show sold out at 10:45pm you are most surely lying. How do i know? Because I went to see what all the hype was about and bought a ticket at the door at 11:05 and I walked in and the band was just starting.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:48 AM

I just heard a rumor that Dave Longstreth is the illegitimate love child of John Zorn and Carole King and Damo Suzuki. I guess his music is worth listening to now, since his 'rents were important people.

Without the famous folks, whatever he does would just be uninspired garbage.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:53 AM

for the record - 10:48 is the same guy who posted everything else

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:54 AM

one last time - yes, the show sold out.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:59 AM

What do Battles and Dirty Projectors being tour mates have anything to do with someone's opinion on who they think is a better band or more complex and innovative????
For that matter, what does the fact that one of the members of such band liking the other band have anything to do with someone's opinion on who they think is a better band or more complex and innovative.

That is just such an incredibly dumb argument.

And cmon, equating a reference to ones pedigree to nazism is maybe the dumbest response so far. And so i have no idea about Ty's upbringing but you do??????? Who the fuck do YOU think you are? You do not know me or anyone else on here to make that statement. I know more about that situation and these people then you do trust me you fucking piece of shit.

But just to ridicule your argument even more. Jeff Buckley had little or no relationship in his life with his father Tim Buckley but most observant musical critics will tell you they see much of the father's inherent musical brilliance in the son. No matter the upbringing. Oh wait, how old was Sean Lennon when his father died? Yet anyone listening to the son can see the father's infulence.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:00 AM

I turned up at 12:05am, just after the band had finished playing, and I bought a ticket even then. So it definitely wasn't sold out. And you know, I really picked up on the vibe as I kicked around a few plastic beer cups and watched the merch guy disassemble his stall before being steamrollered out of the building by security. Cool show, 8 out of 10 in my considered opinion.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:01 AM

Mad LOLs Up in this bitch hahahahahaha

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:03 AM

A friendly suggestion:

If you just fill out a name and e-mail address and check the little "remember" box, BV will remember your identity forever, no additional typing required. This can only help elevate the discourse on these pages. Probably the only thing that will.

I've only heard "Police Story" from Dirty Projectors, but I like it a lot.

Posted by pickles | December 6, 2007 11:05 AM

For the record, all the Anonymous posters screaming how much they worship this band is the same person.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:05 AM

D + P = Dirty Projectors

D + P = Daft Punk

do the math...

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:05 AM

neither Jeff Buckley nor Sean Lennon were/are really all that great.

their famous parents have everything to do with why they were given so much (not-all-that-warranted) attention.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:06 AM

D + P = Dirty Projectors

D + P = Daft Punk

do the math...

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:06 AM

D + P = Dirty Projectors

D + P = Daft Punk

do the math...

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:06 AM

"I turned up at 12:05am, just after the band had finished playing, and I bought a ticket even then."

this statement is what we in the "biz" call a LIE.

which begs the question... why are you stretching so hard to rain on this band's parade? Maybe... get a life?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:09 AM

D+P=Double Penetration

Seemingly what most of you idiots get done to you on a nightly basis.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:11 AM

this statement is what we in the "biz" call a LIE."

Actually, this statement is what we in the "non-biz" call a joke.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:12 AM

Off-topic to 11:06:

I have to disagree about Jeff Buckley. I was lucky to see him in Memphis before he died (he was doing a residency at a little bar called Barristers) and it was incredible. It was unreal hearing that voice coming out of someone in this little bar, accompanied only by his guitar. Really beautiful. Too bad he is no longer with us.

Posted by pickles | December 6, 2007 11:16 AM

Anthony Braxton is better than Battles accompanied by Anthony Braxton. BTW who has Black Vomit? The Anthony Braxton and Wolf Eyes performance, that shit kills, i heard that concert sold out, anyonn know for sure?

Also a former member of the Dirty Projectors performed with Anthony Braxton, don't ask me how I know, I JUST DO KNOW, I cant tell you because I work in the enterconcerblogedia industry, cant say where though, you guys understand, right?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:21 AM

Posted by Terry Gross | December 6, 2007 11:24 AM

D + P = Donald Pleasance

D + P = Dr. Phil

YOU do the math!

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:25 AM

Posted by Terry Gross | December 6, 2007 11:26 AM

this statement is what we in the "biz" call a LIE."

Actually, this statement is what we in the "non-biz" call a joke.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:28 AM

Posted by Terry Gross | December 6, 2007 11:29 AM

this statement is what we in the "biz" call a LIE."

Actually, this statement is what we in the "non-biz" call a joke.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:30 AM

Posted by Terry Gross | December 6, 2007 11:33 AM

who's repeating themselves desperately here?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:35 AM

"To bring up a hunch of mine (since this seems like the proper place for such conjecture), I believe the haters are more than likely all Harvard grads playing their part in one of the most storied rivalries in the history of the United States. Dave L. as you may know, was a Yalie. Harvard kids don't give up easily on this either, so dig in your heals New Haven.

Posted by Terry Gross | December 6, 2007 11:29 AM"

Terry
i am guessing from the fact that you spelled HEELS as HEALS that you did not go to either Harvard or Yale. Maybe did not even graduate high school? Seems on par with the other fanatic who keeps posting.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:38 AM

""LOLing. I was in disbelief the dum dum did not get the joke either. I guess he was so worked up posting over and over again about how great the projectors are and trying to make people believe the show was sold out(which it was not)."

who's repeating themselves desperately here?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:35 AM"

Umm that buddy of yours, Terry Gross? Look above fuckwit

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:41 AM

Apologies for the double post.

Posted by Terry Gross | December 6, 2007 11:41 AM

Recently, quite a few celebrities were said to appear on the millionaire luxury club "Meetrich.com". OMG!!! Are these famous guys fond of internet dating for now?? Maybe they are indeed so rich that they feel boring sometimes to need new things?

Posted by mmlobe | December 6, 2007 11:41 AM

1stly - why is any significance given to whether a band sells out Bowery or not? does it matter at all to how talented they are?

that said, this show definitely sold out and it's bizarre that there is someone out there trying to deny that this is true.

It's even more bizarre that that person is trying to claim that he's a bunch of different independent BV commenters, all determined to deny that Dirty Projectors sold out the Bowery Ballroom.

Why would anyone want to make up such a lie, and why would that guy think it'd sound plausible to claim that LOTS of people, independently, care enough about something so inane as to back up his lie? really, nobody cares whether they sold it out or didn't.

really weird, and kinda pathetic that you want to steal this band's moment in the spotlight.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:43 AM

it's great to see they're avoiding ambivalence, as that is the true death of idea and concept. kudos to dirty projectors for bringing out the passion in the lovers and haters!

Posted by mat | December 6, 2007 11:59 AM

that said, this show definitely did not sell out and it's bizarre that there is someone out there trying to deny that this is true.

it's even more bizarre that that person is trying to claim that he's a bunch of different independent BV commenters, all determined to claim that Dirty Projectors sold out the Bowery Ballroom.

really weird, and kinda pathetic

funny how it works both ways

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 12:07 PM

anonymous hater needs to CHILL THE FUCK OUT.

rest assured your shitty day job is still probably paying better than the endless touring the dirty projectors are doing.

Now let them have a nice NY Times review and a great Bowery show---

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 12:16 PM

anonymous fanatic needs to CHILL THE FUCK OUT

rest assured your shitty day job is still probably going to pay better than the endless touring the dirty projectors are doing and will ever be doing.

Now go be useful and give them all your money to help them out instead of screaming at people who do not think they are all that amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 12:30 PM

"Now let them have a nice NY Times review and a great Bowery show---"

Rest assured they did. You can safely ignore anonymous hater.

Posted by pickles | December 6, 2007 12:42 PM

What time do the Dirty Projectors come on?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 12:51 PM

"A friendly suggestion:

I've only heard "Police Story" from Dirty Projectors, but I like it a lot.

Posted by pickles | December 6, 2007 11:05 AM"

"Now let them have a nice NY Times review and a great Bowery show---"

Rest assured they did. You can safely ignore anonymous hater.

Posted by pickles | December 6, 2007 12:42 PM

So pickles, how would you know that they had a great Bowery show if you only have heard Police Story???? DId you go to the show for one song and leave?
So much for giving yourself an identity on here to elevate the discourse. You can still lie and bs.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 12:55 PM

Well it sure sounds like they did. It's true that I can't say for myself. But it sounds like a lot of people were there and they were into it. Including the Times. If I were in the band, I think I'd be happy.

My main point is- whatever happened Tuesday night, your incessant anonymous commenting can do nothing to change it.

And now I'm going to start taking my own advice, i.e. ignoring you.

Posted by pickles | December 6, 2007 1:14 PM

no! don't stop pickles and anon hater with too much time on his hands and no life, we are almost at the 100 post count!!!

don't quit yet!!!!!

Posted by booboo | December 6, 2007 1:18 PM

No pickles, what you meant was to try and make it seem like you were at the show. Once you got tripped up in the lie then it became something else. But you should read the other thread about the show because i do believe there were others who were posting that they did not enjoy it and left early. Oh wait, those people must all be the one anonymous commenter.

Booboo, we haters(oh wait, right, its only one person) who post have too much time on our hands and no life huh? So what does that say about a lurker reading all the posts. Yeah some life you have.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 1:42 PM

Daft Projectors

Dirty Punk

What time do they go on?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 2:08 PM

anon 1:42 please find something more constructive to do with your life than just arguing with faceless people on the internet. your hostility and negativity are quite unnecessary, perhaps if you find a different channel for your energy then some of that negativity will diffuse itself.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 2:16 PM

DP create such a shitstorm because the people who love them tend to describe them in pretentious,hyperbolic terms. They then get their feelings hurt when someone makes fun of the band and they gangbang the poster with comments about not understanding beauty or the futility of arguing on the internet (irony, etc.). DP fans are kind of douche bags.

I don't like the DPs. I've tried, but it didn't click with me. Knowing Ian Williams and Ed Droste are fans does nothing to change my opinion, even though I think they're both pretty awesome. This apparently means I don't appreciate true art. Go ahead and flame me.

Posted by feedbacker | December 6, 2007 2:38 PM

1:42 - I cannot believe this guy is still sitting around trying to convince people that, in fact, *most* people don't like Dirty Projectors and the band is completely without merit - even though there are dozens of glowing reviews about Dirty Projectors -and- their sold out, packed show at a big venue -and- tons of fawning attention and dozens of new fans of the band on this and the other thread.

I think that's just not possible, dude. All the unusually reasoned intelligent fans posting here and every critic in town and all across the country and Europe can't be totally talking out their asses - people like this band, even if you don't.

You can't talk people out of giving them a chance by trying to claim nobody but a few weirdos likes Dirty Projectors. They are generating tons of attention from lots of reliable sources.

Where there's smoke there's at least some fire - why are you trying to convince people they're not worth being given a chance? The attention the band's getting is not some random, arbitrary thing.

Why not tell us what it is you don't like so much, and then maybe we could understand your hysteria here.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 2:40 PM

Yeah, I'm not surprised people dont like the DP. I don't even care that they post on here to say they dont. And none of their supporters have tried to convert them.

My issue is that I just have yet to hear a rational response from any of these haters. Its either "you have no taste or sense of musical history" or "there are lots of other bands that are more innovative" etc. So what? How does that prove your hatred?

The reasons why people like this band are clear: its different, interesting, melodic and anti-melodic at the same time.

The reasons people dont are still unclear, even after more than a hundred posts in two days.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 3:09 PM

I don't know about you guys but I just like Band of Horses

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 3:58 PM

HAHAHAHA OMG

Losers Losers Losers.

You are still going on with this mumbo jumbo. Even after feedbacker kind of summed you up pretty clearly. Ahh he is the same anonymous guy though, right. Ohhh I am the same anonymous guy, right?

If this was not downright hilarious, it would be extremely sad and pathetic.

Now as i see it, you DP lovers have made not even an inch of a case here. You all except a few post anonymously just like the detractors and yet they are the same guy but you are a mass of people.
And how do you prove that? Well, Anon 2:30 posits because they played a completely sold out show at a huge venue. Well it seems to me from reading this that the proof that it was sold out would come from Bowery Ballroom people and them only. And since when did Bowery Ballroom become a huge venue in the city? Maybe I am crazy but it is considered one of the smaller more intimate places to play here. And where are all these glowing reviews from all the critics in town and intelligent people on here? I see one review above from a seasoned critic. And i dont see many intelligent comments both for and against in these threads. Most of you sound like complete dolts.
I do see people commenting that they liked them and i see just as many comments about people who don't like them. Oh wait, again the negative are one guy and the positive are many. RIght.

Now, Anon 3:58pm claims that the people negative have not given any reasons which is sort of ridiculous. Have you ever heard of not liking something just cause you do not like it. A personal opinion does not have to be backed up with reasons nor do they even owe you one. It is a fucking PERSONAL OPINION. In fact, most people would say that a band that has at least 3 records out plus a much blogged about new one and they still maybe only sold out a small venue the night of the show right before they went on(according to the adamant "it sold out" people on here), in a major market nonetheless would not be considered to have massive legions of fans. More like a small yet fervent amount. That does not make your cases, freaks. I am sure the majority just "don't get it"

Even with that, Anon 3:58's claim that the negative do not give reasons then goes on to state the positive's reasons which are that they are "different, interesting, melodic and anti-melodic at the same time" Oh well pardon me, that explains it. How silly of me to not see that in front of my face. Sheesh, so of course I can see how someone saying they thought the band was uninteresting, not really all that different and much more anti melodic than anything else would be wrong.

Seriously, most of you have made no points at all. You really do not realize how silly you look.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 5:26 PM

2:38 is a very reasoned and reasonable post, though I would say the opposite is at least equally true - that the people who hate the band describe their hatred in exaggerated, thuggish terms and have been attacking the idea that the band could be important to anyone as if it were a sign of mental inferiority.

If you ask me, it's simply that the band doesn't work on the muscular terms that a guy-band like Battles works on - but the thing is they still mine the same prog ideas that those quasi-mathy, quasi-metaly bands work on. Consequently, mathy, metaly dudes get exposed to Dirty Projectors, but the band is way too pansy and upscale intellectual for those dudes to get into.

Hence, heavy rock dudes hate Dirty Projectors more than they'd hate a purely poppy pansy pretentious band, or a crappy math-prog band. It's upsetting and aggravating to those heavy dudes that Dave is talented in the technical, compositional, and prog ways that he is, but without speaking their cock-rock language.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 5:28 PM

yes let's get this one to 100!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 5:34 PM

5:28 absolutely hit the nail on the head. this bs hate thread is all about macho posturing, pathetically among pencil dick indieprog pussies.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 5:35 PM

I'm someone who likes quite a few heavy/mathy/noisy bands that play primarily to sausage fests, but my problem with Dave and the DPs isn't an issue of masculinity. I listen to far less masculine bands all the time. Mostly they're just one of those bands I listen to and think, "Yeah, ok, they're talented" while I remain totally disengaged emotionally. It's also a little reductive to say that something heavy can't be intellectual. I think Longstreth would agree. He clearly sees something in Black Flag's Damaged (as he should).

Posted by feedbacker | December 6, 2007 6:04 PM

Morrissey gives good head... I mean, cunnilingus.

Posted by Kristeen Young | December 6, 2007 7:07 PM

This band gives me a headache

Posted by old fart | December 6, 2007 7:12 PM

i just realized brooklynvegan is the indie perez hilton, it's all about the shit talking comments and drama. bring it on!

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 7:13 PM

you *just* realized this?

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2007 1:21 AM

First!

OMG PEREZ I LUV U UR THE BEST HAHAHAHAH

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2007 10:44 AM

Dirty Projectors are my favorite band. Their music makes me very, very happy every single time I hear it. I'm sorry some folks can't experience that happiness. I suppose they get it from somewhere else. I hope everyone has a band that does it for them that way.

Posted by Gabe | December 11, 2007 8:46 PM

i hate to revive this clusterfuck of a thread but what was the song called that started with several minutes of quick guitar playing that made this really cool jagged texture?

Posted by Anonymous | December 14, 2007 1:35 AM

It was called people who live in Brooklyn are pricks.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2008 8:21 PM