Posted in comedy | music on December 11, 2007

the fifth in a series where we asked comedians to tell us what was good this year....

Petra Haden & Fred Armisen

Because the man does so damned much, Fred Armisen is one of the hardest individuals to sum up in a pre-list blurb. He's 50% of ThunderAnt (the other 50% is Carrie Brownstein of Sleater Kinney). He just released a DVD called Jens Hannemann: Complicated Drumming Technique. He has also been doing some live gigs. And in addition to being a senior member of SNL, Fred's mug can be seen in scads of movies and TV shows (check out his resume on IMDB). Being equal parts artist and entertainer, he's absolutely one of my favorite people in entertainment and I am triple-dog-delighted he took the time out to share with BV the things he enjoyed in 2007 - Klaus

- - -

10 things I bought/got/looked at this year that I love.

Fred ArmisenPaul McCartney, The McCartney Years DVD - It has live McCartney footage from 1976 that is amazing. He plays these really busy bass lines and sings at the same time effortlessly. I don't know how someone is able to do that so well. And I love that lefty Rickenbacker!

Petra Haden, Don't Stop Believin' - This is on a compilation album called Guilt By Association that came out this year. Her voice is just the greatest ever and the guitar solo part kills me. She's working on an acappella version of movie soundtracks right now that is unbelievable.

The Apple iPhone - It makes me feel like I am finally in the future. When I was a kid, this is what I imagined I'd be using in the 2000's. If you tap a business name into the map application, it finds it for you AND gives you the phone number AND gives you directions INCLUDING how to avoid traffic at that precise moment. I mean, are you kidding me? Thank you inventors who work at Apple!

God of WarGod Of War 2 for Playstation - It's more complex than the first one but also more difficult. I liked it a lot, but couldn't finish it past the flying horse fights.

Steve Martin, Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life - Mr. Martin writes about the part of his life when he was a stand up comedian. His focus on working on every detail of his act is fascinating. At age fifteen he was already giving himself notes in a notebook. "Relax. Don't shake."

dlisted.com - This celebrity gossip site seriously makes me laugh out loud. The guy who writes this is SO funny! I look at this probably ten times a day. I was going to quote some of his stuff but I say just go to it and read it.

continued below....

Nels Cline

Nels Cline, guitar player for Wilco - I love Wilco and saw them play at this huge outdoor venue this summer. I couldn't believe how great he was. He did these solos that made me think "can we give this guy an award? Let's call it the 'What a Great Guitar Player That Does Crazy Kind of Noisy Solos' award".

Human Giant, MTV - Oh my god the episode when they do that Criss Angel Mindfreak thing? And the "Let's Go!" guys?

Joe Strummer - The Future is Unwritten - I just saw this documentary a few days ago. Wonderful footage of Topper Headon. (see it)

SONG Unknown, artist unknown too - I am not trying to be cute about this. I seriously heard the coolest song at a NYC Pinkberry a month ago. It had a slow swing-y beat (the feel is almost like the Sesame Street theme). A guy raps for the verses and the chorus is someone whistling this catchy melody. The employees said that they didn't know what it was and said they weren't able look it up. I think that's a lie and they just didn't feel like going to the back. I'll never forget how good that song is. If anyone knows what this song might be, please tell me.

Bumbershoot 2007

Previous Best of 2007's
* Dave Hill
* Max Silvestri
* Rob Huebel (Human Giant)
* Paul Scheer (Human Giant)

The last song sounds like Kanye's "Young Folks" cover. But how could he not remember that infernal whistling part?!

Posted by pickles | December 11, 2007 11:04 AM

If the last song has a guy rhyming with an unintelligible english accent, it sounds like he could be describing Dream by Dizzee Rascal.

Posted by David McCaffredy | December 11, 2007 11:40 AM

that's also how i feel about nels cline...

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2007 11:49 AM

love it! my list also has GOW and strummer.

Posted by rika | December 11, 2007 12:13 PM

Nels Cline is amazing. I love his trio record with the Nels Cline Singers -- The Giant Pin. He is totally my nomination for 'What a Great Guitar Player That Does Crazy Kind of Noisy Solos' award.

Posted by Alan Kenwood | December 11, 2007 2:01 PM

I LOVE YOU FRED ARMISEN!! I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BAYBEEEEES!!

And DLISTED is THE BEST!! Michael ROCKS! How is he not famous??? Oh wait! He is if YOU know about him!

The thing he did about Constantine Maroulis in the underware section of K-Mart was HILARIOUS!

Posted by Wambeesee | December 11, 2007 3:56 PM

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say "the Salmon Dance" by Chemical Brothers is the mystery song.

Posted by anon | December 11, 2007 4:21 PM

Agreed - reading dlisted is always the best part of my day. Guaranteed to be funny even when he posts about actual d-listers.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2007 4:49 PM

i bet the song he's describing isn't kanye doing young folks, but the terrific remix of pbj's 'Amsterdam' featuring spec boogie.

i'm sure that's it.

Posted by furste | December 11, 2007 5:42 PM

I saw Steve Martin do his stand up routine in 1978 at Northrop Auditorium, University of Minnesota. His stream of consciousness barrage of non sequitors was easily the freshest and funniest act around. I laughed so hard my sides hurt the next day.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2007 11:41 PM

i think the dude has enough competence to know if the song he was listening to was peter bjorn and john, considering the publicity 'writer's block' got this year.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2007 8:08 AM

this man-child still plays video games.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2007 10:08 AM

"this man-child still plays video games."

what are you trying to imply? That you are a man-MAN? and real man-men don't play video games?

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2007 10:19 AM

11. My portfolio: I did some re-shuffling of my trust fund out of REITs and financial sector index funds in response to the credit crunch. Phew, that was close.

Video games are for retarded children.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2007 11:08 AM

Video games are for retarded children.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2007 11:09 AM

Video games are for retarded children.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2007 11:09 AM

Fred here. I found out who that last artist was. Kenneth Bager "Fragment One-And I Kept Hearing". Thank you all for the suggestions. Also that's Petra Haden pictured up top.

Posted by Fred | December 13, 2007 11:36 PM

Perhaps it was KMD from back in the day. Maybe "Humrush" off their brilliant 1991 LP, Mr. Hood.

Posted by Manny Mota | January 2, 2008 4:35 PM

of course he likes petra. she's his new arm candy. he gets around .poor girl better get checked for disease

Posted by susan | January 3, 2008 1:57 AM

susan, go knit a sweater or something.

Posted by Bernadette | January 7, 2008 4:02 AM

thanks for the info fred... the whistling on the bager track is very sesame streetesque (I would say ernie?)... there was no doubt as to the reference...happy new year and thanks for posting!

Posted by amy | January 7, 2008 2:54 PM

Posted by amy | January 7, 2008 2:58 PM

thank you for bailing on the comix show this evening as well.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2008 3:19 PM

oh dang! you got diseases from fred too...
he does get around.

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2008 3:20 PM

yeah. freds quite giving in that herpes kinda way. maybe he could release an instruction video on it for sex doctors to sell

Posted by anonymous | February 5, 2008 3:39 PM

You say you cant live with what you been through
Well, ladies you can be an asshole too
You might pretend you ain't got one on the bottom of you,
But don't fool yourself girl
Its lookin' at you

Posted by A Female | February 16, 2008 9:40 PM

I'm not sure about Fred and diseases, but I do know firsthand that he abuses his semi-celebrity status to meet women and then abruptly discards them (all the while playing the nice, sweet, down to earth role.) He's only interested in friending and/or dating celebrities. Between serious relationships, he seeks out "everyday girls" such as myself to mess with and ultimately sleep with (something he didn't get from me - I'm a bit too wise for you Fred, and you know that.) That Petra person should watch out. If - and I stress IF - someone more famous comes along, she'll be on the chopping block faster than Fred can get into his sell out black face. Despicable.

Posted by lady day | March 1, 2008 1:12 AM

Posted by lady day | March 1, 2008 1:16 AM

wut a man whore???? eeeww

Posted by clara | March 4, 2008 3:35 PM

yes a man whore....

Posted by regina | March 4, 2008 3:38 PM

Petra's in a very bad position.

Posted by R. | March 4, 2008 6:54 PM

the unfortunate thing is, the kind of men who do this to women do not open their eyes to, nor care about the psychological damage this does to the women they use. the women go into it trusting and loving, and come out of it negatively different. sadly, men like this do it again and again.

Posted by another female | March 20, 2008 2:43 AM

I saw these posts a long while ago and I have to say something.

As a female, I think it's crappy that some of you feel it's OK to post anti-Fred stuff online because I'm sure you don't do this with every guy you feel hurt by. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if someone did that to you. Right? I doubt most, if any, of you have had a profound, long-term relationship with the guy and that said, for your overall sense of trust to be destroyed by a shallow relationship says more about you than him.

So, you weren't The One for Fred! Boo-hoo. Your life is so over! Would you be just as attracted to him if he was a funny accountant making $35K? The motivation behind your posts is clear: lame, anonymous/cowardly attempts at planting doubt in his current relationship. If you were sincere, you'd be happy that he has something good going on and not try to mess with it.

You should be ashamed of yourselves and start posting apologies. Nobody's perfect, not even you.

Posted by A Female | March 22, 2008 8:07 PM

I have to agree with some of your points. I'm not going to discuss the details or what was written in these posts, but I think this is absolutely horrifying. To Lady Day, I'm sorry you feel this way, but why don't you take it up with him personally? Doing this to any person publicly is cruel and unusual punishment. Just stop. and also, Fred is not a bad person. I know him too and you know what? We are all just human beings trying to get by on this planet. Seriously, handle this with kindness.

Posted by a woman | March 23, 2008 2:35 PM

to 'a female': in theory that all sounds great. 2bad its all in theory and you have no idea what you are talking about.

Posted by . | March 24, 2008 1:46 PM

Regardless of what happened with any of you, grow up and get over it.

Posted by .... | March 25, 2008 1:36 AM

Translation, "....": Women, it's alright to let men abuse you. suck it up and get over it and let them get away with it.

Posted by ........................................... | March 25, 2008 1:06 PM

grow up and get over it means that at some point you have to stop focusing on being a victim. it isn't fair to put all the responsibility for your own actions/BODY, your own expectations on the other person. posting vitriol/accusations online isn't fair and it isn't therapeutic.

if someone wronged you, then sincerely confront them in a way that isn't going to cause more damage. that is helpful. trying to destroy someone's reputation online for their family and significant others to see is not. returning abuse with more abuse is not okay.

have a nice day.

Posted by actually | March 27, 2008 8:37 PM

Conning is what fred armisen does
i'm sure those women WERE responsible for their own body and actions - based on the manipulations they thought were truths

Posted by M. | April 12, 2008 10:26 PM

So women ARE weaker than men?

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 11:25 PM

anonymous, what are you talking about? human betrayal has nothing to do with being weak or strong when you are the victim of it. do some reading up on psychology.

Posted by M. | April 14, 2008 12:13 PM

yes he's a manwhore, but he has a big cock!

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 9:17 AM

No no no, he DOES NOT HAVE A BIG COCK. In fact, it's rather infantile, and he has trouble maintaining an erection. What's really sad is that it's most likely Fred posting things like that. What a sad little man.

Posted by Mariah | August 13, 2008 3:06 PM

He's still cute.

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2008 8:38 PM

he's already ditched Petra for a more famous one. surprise, surprise.

Posted by yes | January 9, 2009 1:44 AM

i bet if nicole kidman propositioned fred he'd drop this elisabeth moss character in a heartbeat..

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2009 7:39 PM

Poor Petra. Poor Elisabeth.

Posted by Mary | January 26, 2009 2:03 AM

No Mary, it's poor Fred.

Posted by chick | February 19, 2009 4:50 PM

guess this Elisabeth has herpes too...

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2009 10:07 PM

Fred Armisen acts like a JERK. He hurts people he "loves" and walks away without a care, leaving the mess behind him. He cheats too. Gross.

Posted by ya | March 31, 2009 3:34 PM

he's a douchebag

Posted by dave | May 18, 2009 7:58 PM

You know what girls and boys?
up until today I thought you were all mean.
I came back to specifically say you are all right about Fred, sadly.
He gets off on hurting people in his life, I think. I'm yet another one of his victims and it's bs - and people need to stop feeding his ego and fame. He's NOT A NICE MAN. He's cruel and he uses people and then punishes them later, emotionally sadistic. People like me end up writing up it publicly because he turns his back to you. Happy, Fred? Good.

Posted by I agree | May 19, 2009 11:28 PM

Not that I'm excusing his behavior, but name one single "entertainer" who doesn't have emotional problems and a huge ego.

Everyone in the industry is like that.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 11:36 PM

No, not everyone. But, who are we to judge? Behavior like that causes more hurt to him than anyone else.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 6:35 PM

Elisabeth Moss reminds me of Martha Plimpton.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 8:31 PM

he's not funny, either.

he even looks like a douchenozzle.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 9:04 PM

Another scientology victim. Wake-up Fred.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2009 1:45 AM

Oh Ms. Moss... does he make you feel like you poop ice cream and you are made of magic? Yes, he does that. And he will do it again with other women (after you or at the same time as you).

Posted by tomiss moss | June 19, 2009 10:58 PM

On the scientology wedding: "We're planning this really cool, fun day, and we're kind of deep into it. We're having a nice time with it."- Moss

Sounds like children planning a play date. Grow up!

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2009 3:24 PM

Here's what's going on ...Fred had a thing for Joanna Newsom, but she didn't for him. Then his friend Andy Samberg and Joanna start dating. That was heartbreaking for him. Fred meets indie artist Petra Haden and he dates her to compete with Andy Samberg. That's until Elisabeth Moss comes along, who is just about Joanna Newsom's age and is more famous. He even bought Moss a harp i.e. Joanna Newsom's instrument according to a NYT article. The dots are connected.

Posted by Figures | July 25, 2009 7:46 PM

Maybe, Figures, but Fred has had a thing for many, many women in the past few years. I don't think he was that attached to Joanna Newsom. He's known to go after famous people while keeping "regular" girls on the side and string' them along.

Posted by hmm | July 27, 2009 2:07 AM

Fred's an asshole, plain and simple. From a girl who dated him.

Posted by girl | August 9, 2009 4:53 AM

its so interesting to read these posts, now knowing armisen has already dumped elisabeth moss, whom he married, for yet another famous chick! hah!!

Posted by interested | November 21, 2010 4:27 AM

Yikes. The trail here seems rather hard to refute...
Verdict: douchebag

Posted by A dude | February 23, 2013 9:28 PM

Fred got me pregnant, I had a miscarriage and he abandoned me.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2013 1:36 PM

A person who hurts women the way he does must be very sick.

He's honestly very sad. And I get sad thinking about him.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2013 2:07 PM

Fred is busy making people think he's a nice guy. But in reality he's horrible - and a lot of people know it

Posted by Girl | October 14, 2014 2:10 AM