Posted in holiday music | music on December 24, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Sloan Wainwright - Silent Night (MP3)

Bodies of Water

This was maybe going to be a post about how the-band-recently-signed-to-Secretly-Canadian Bodies of Water posted some free Christmas songs for download on their MySpace page, but then this message they posted on the homepage of their regular website seemed even more interesting...

12.21.07 - I can't understand why anyone likes these musical groups and singers:

Wilco
Jeff Buckley
Elvis Costello
The Police
Slint
Rush
Joni Mitchell
Steely Dan
Afghan Whigs

Perhaps you are offended by this. If so, I feel glad. You need to be shaken up. You need to have whatever skewed values you've cultivated over the years CHALLENGED. Listen again to this stuff - you will see that it is junk. (I say all this with the utmost sincerity, but I'm sure that in a year or two 'synchronicity' will be on heavy rotation in my house. This goes for all of these except for Steely Dan. I will never, ever like Steely Dan as long as I live.)

And to that Steely Dan might say...

Check out the Bodies of Water take away show @ La Blogoteque (and while you're at it, check out the new Jens Lekman one too).

You'll get no arguments from me on Rush or Steely Dan (because they both suck), and I can see some of the others, but Elvis Costello? And Wilco? And the Afghan Whigs?

Posted by Robert | December 24, 2007 1:59 PM

A childish post. Amateur provocateuring. Its biggest mistake is that it pretends to be more reasoned and high-minded than it really is. Just do your sabre-rattling and forego the whole 'challenging preconceptions' bullshit.

The idea that anyone could have their tastes 'challenged' by a simplistic screed like this (one that doesn't even have the balls to conclude without that gutless synchronicity disclaimer) is what's funny.

Posted by cw | December 24, 2007 2:03 PM

"Perhaps you are offended by this. If so, I feel glad. You need to be shaken up. You need to have whatever skewed values you've cultivated over the years CHALLENGED."

Not a pompous self-absorbed ass.

I bet they love The Hold Steady.

Posted by Jack | December 24, 2007 2:03 PM

Jack - I love the Hold Steady, and a lot of the bands they listed on that. But, I agree - the post is stupid and childish, and is no longer on their site.

Posted by Robert | December 24, 2007 2:08 PM

I wish this band the worst of luck.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 2:11 PM

silly on their part.
they just want to stir things up.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 2:19 PM

Who would pick on the Afghan Whigs? They broke up about 9 years ago! Plus there albums are classic angsty rock! Wilco rules too!

Posted by Craig | December 24, 2007 2:20 PM

I love their convenient vintage t-shirts. Good stuff!

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 2:22 PM

What an idiotic statement. May they have a short and miserably unsuccessful career.

Posted by Matt | December 24, 2007 2:31 PM

Joni Mitchell never lies.

Posted by janet jackson | December 24, 2007 2:36 PM

every single band named there is ten times better than bodies of water will ever be. good attempt at starting controversy to become popular. you're too sucky for it to work though.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 2:43 PM

Bodies of Water just ensured that I will never, ever even give their music a listen. Whether I agree with the list or not, I have no need to support such pretentious, arrogant pricks.

Posted by Steve | December 24, 2007 2:46 PM

wow this band is terrible

Posted by bobo bill | December 24, 2007 3:06 PM

wow what a pompous band.

Posted by Daniel | December 24, 2007 3:46 PM

what a pompous band

Posted by Daniel | December 24, 2007 3:50 PM

BV... please do not help this band with their stupid idea of PR campaign. No more posts about BOW (I won't even use their name).

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 3:51 PM

i dont think they're in a position to talk shit when their music sucks like a necrotic cunt.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 3:51 PM

I can't understand how anyone could read Tolstoy. It's crap...

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 3:53 PM

Nice mom jeans on that ugly, dumpy-looking guitar player. She looks like Martha Dumptruck.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 3:55 PM

obviously they're shock and awe thing succeeded.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 4:00 PM

How dare a band have opinions about successful mediocre recording artists? Don't they know that kissin ass is where it's at? But then I am in total agreement with them on all but Joni Mitchel (early) Afghan Whigs. What's the big woop?

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 4:07 PM

The way they went about it was extremely unappealing. In the same way that a lot of these blog comments are unappealing- high-handed condemnation of artists accompanied by zero analysis. It's like the most irritating cliches from "High Fidelity" but even more offensively bland and dull.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 4:18 PM

Also, they're just fucking wrong because Joni's "River" makes my eyes well up, especially this time of year.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 4:26 PM

Anybody who thinks Steely Dan (not to mention most others on that list) sucks needs to get his ears and pulse checked and has no business getting involved in music in any way. Just a bunch of new idiots on the scene. No need to pay attention.

Posted by Mike | December 24, 2007 4:29 PM

We've all written dumb things while drunk. I like Bodies of Water... and love Steely Dan. Rush, not so much. To each their own. Peace, love and happy whatever, everyone.

Posted by bill p | December 24, 2007 4:30 PM

My really good band has 4 guitarists too. We hate every other music artist in the world.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 4:54 PM

looks like someone took a giant christmas shit all of their music.

some bands try too hard.

Posted by craig! | December 24, 2007 5:33 PM

ha!.....a little too early in thier career to start running thier mouths. Funny, cuz out here in LA? a mere 10 people like this band. theyre another internet-cum-lately buzz signing. Pfft....gimmie a break....

I dont care much for Kajagoogoo - but you dont see me talking shit about Limal

Posted by Boastin West Coastin | December 24, 2007 5:43 PM

looks like they took that posting down from their website. i think bodies of waterboarding is a better band name. drown everyone in our crappy music that sounds like a third rate polyphonic spree. nuff said

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 5:49 PM

fuck this band.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 6:20 PM

Obviously they're fucking desperate. But to then DELETE the post? Just like their music--no backbone.

Posted by Smackahole | December 24, 2007 7:04 PM

The fact that they deleted the post makes me HATE them even more. Not only are they morons, but they are also PUSSIES!

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 7:13 PM

I don't listen to much Rush or Steely Dan, but I definitely enjoy Steely Dan when I hear them played.

Rush is not my cup of tea, admittedly, but that's just it. As far as a band goes, there are not many bands that are better than Rush. Rush is not just some hype-driven band like most of them that troll across this radar these days - they are a band with longtime die-hard fans.

Posted by Matt | December 24, 2007 8:31 PM

Bodies of Band-I-Will-Never_Listen_To

Posted by nyctaper | December 24, 2007 8:50 PM

bodies of who?...

donald fagen has taken shits much, much bigger than this band.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 9:54 PM

i regularly listen to steely and saw them in concert last year, fantastic show, but as everyone knows (well apparently not EVERYONE), steely is one of the greatest studio bands of all time. bodies of shut the hell up

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 10:17 PM

All of those bands I can understand disliking but Slint? Really? Bodies of Water's quirky press pic is lame and Slint's Spiderland is one of the best records EVER.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 10:22 PM

i fucking farted so hard on the girl in the red a few months ago

it was like a pure poison cloud and i'm amazed she lived to tell

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 10:44 PM

i dont know this band very much.but i know they are very good.as if someone of them was found on a millionaire&celebs dating club "WealthyKiss.com". She has a personal account there with her pictures, blog and something about her albums...In her friend circle, some other stars can be found there.

Posted by kelley | December 24, 2007 11:45 PM

I dare them to release an album bigger and better than AJA, Pretzel Logic and/or Nightfly. Aint gonna happen in a millon years.

Posted by Becker/Fagen | December 24, 2007 11:50 PM

i would love to see what music they like

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 11:53 PM

i just watched that takeaway video on that other blog. i just about puked up my chinese takeout. that video was the absolute pinnacle of eastside l.a. hipsterness at work. too cool for school attitude. my CHALLENGE to them is writing one good song. i've seen them play at a few places around los angeles and they were a complete borefest. i sure hope secretly canadian knows what theyre in for. and if one of the band members are reading through the comments on this blog, just remember that we'll all care about your band for a split second and you'll just be another flash in the pan like ruben studdard or better yet voxtrot.

Posted by Doctor Figueroa | December 25, 2007 12:01 AM

This band should die of Aids for talking shit on Steely Dan.

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2007 12:25 AM

"Hi. We're Bodies Of Water and we've decided we really need some attention and publicity badly. So we've decided to hate every band that you like. This week Wilco, Jeff Buckley and Slint, next week Pavement, REM and Radiohead. "

Posted by Joe | December 25, 2007 1:18 AM

I just listened the These are the Eyes. I like the song, but its not really that ground breaking or origional, it sounds quite Arcade Fire-ish.

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2007 4:12 AM

Bodies of Water.....the sound....the superb musicianship....the tone deaf harmonies.....

and if you thought the first one was unlistenable.

Posted by portmanteau | December 25, 2007 6:19 AM

I cannot defend Rush, that's unquestionably north of the border garbage & Steely Dan may have some cheesy shit (ie. "Reelin' in the Years") but for the most part they're a great act, Donald Fagen & Walter Becker are among the best songwriters in the past 40 years not to mention they put on a solid live act (as witnessed at the Beacon last spring).

Get a grip, you hipster freak.

Posted by Philip McKenney | December 25, 2007 7:26 AM

Maybe if you'd been at one of The Police shows at MSG last summer or this fall you'd be singin' a different tune, they were great or maybe you just have shitty taste in music... I'm gonna go with the latter.

Posted by Tony DeLoge | December 25, 2007 7:31 AM

Rows and flows of angel hair,
And ice cream castles in the air,
And feather canyons everywhere,
I've looked at clouds that way.

But now they only block the Sun,
They rain and snow on everyone.
So many things I would have done,
But clouds got in my way.

I've looked at clouds from both sides now,
From up and down, and still somehow,
It's cloud illusions I recall,
I really don't know clouds, at all.

Moons and Junes and ferris wheels,
The dizzy dancing way you feel
As every fairy tale comes real.
I've looked at love that way.

But now it's just another show,
You leave 'em laughing when you go.
And if you care, don't let them know.
Don't give yourself away.

I've looked at love from both sides now,
From give and take, and still somehow,
It's love's illusions I recall.
I really don't know love, at all.

Tears and fears and feeling proud,
To say I love you right out loud.
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds,
I've looked at life that way.

But now old friends are acting strange.
They shake their heads; they say I've changed.
Well something's lost but something's gained,
In living every day.

I've looked at life from both sides now,
From win and lose and still somehow,
It's life's illusions I recall.
I really don't know life, at all.

I've looked at life from both sides now,
From up and down and still somehow,
It's life's illusions I recall.
I really don't know life, at all.

I love this song. Always makes me want to put a gun in my mouth, especially on Baby Jesus Day -- in a good way. But Steely Dan make me suicidal in a bad way.

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2007 9:19 AM

Ah-ha ha ha! That last comment--I love shit like this: "Props to any band that doesn't give a shit about industry brown nosing and can raise the hackles of the lame readers of this blog so easily."

Only a band member of BoW or a friend of thiers would COME TO THIS SITE and write that. Which proves the point that they, too, are LAME-O!

We don't give a fuck about "industry brown-nosing" either. But we DO care about idiots who make insipid remarks. If a musician can't understand why a music lover loves Joni Mitchell, Elvis Costello, or Wilco, or any of the other bands listed, then you're the ones with skewed values.

Posted by Smackahole | December 25, 2007 9:35 AM

This reminded me of the hilarious Onion Pitchfork parody...

"We can only hope that [music] will begin to grow with its fans over the next few millennia," (Pitchfork editor in chief Ryan) Schreiber said. "If it can stick to what it does well, namely the song 'Peg' by Steely Dan, and Tuvan throat singing, then a sophomore effort will indeed be something to get excited about."

Posted by Chinese & a Movie | December 25, 2007 10:23 AM

This whole thing is hysterical. I mean, if dude doesn't like those bands, dude doesn't like them. I oftentimes talk shit about his band, and I don't feel bad about it.

Let the man have his opinion, even if it may be career killing and idiotic.

Posted by john b. | December 25, 2007 11:03 AM

Who in 2007 is brown nosing ANYTHING when they say they enjoy Steely Dan? They were at their peak in the mid-to-early 1970s? Who in 2007 obsesses over how "bad" a band that is older than them is?

Will 2008 be the year that indie rock grows up and stops shooting people down based on the fact that *GASP* people like a band? Probably not but worth dreaming.

Posted by Jack | December 25, 2007 2:32 PM

And what has the Bodies of Water accomplished?

Posted by chris | December 25, 2007 2:34 PM

What have they accomplished? What HAVE THEY ACCOMPLISHED!!!! Why they have taken the DIY ass-thet-ic and put it out there...horrible unpolished and completely unprepared musicianship and all. They have forged a bond that will take them through the next 6 months or longer!!! They have wowed audiences as large as 60 with their hits and made fans woozy from the horrible din of their untuned voices and lame rhythms....YOU ASKED!!!

WILCO eat your goddam heart out...you complete sell outs!!! EAT YOUR HEAT OUT TWEEDY YOU RANK AMATEUR

Posted by portmanteau | December 25, 2007 2:45 PM

Hey- This is David from BoW. I wrote that post on our site the other day.
I didn’t realize that anyone reads anything I write on our site (much less knows who we are). I can’t believe my drunken rant has inspired such loathing.
Anyhow, the day after I posted that Meredith saw it and told me it was lame to use the BoW site as my blog so I took it down.
I don't speak for everyone in BoW. Have any of you drunkenly talked shit about music you didn't like? I’m not more entitled to talk shit than anyone else, I just made the mistake of putting on my band’s site instead of spouting off at a party like everyone else. Give me a break. Some of you guys are full of rage.
I am one guy! Am I an asshole? Kind of, but I am a rogue asshole. BoW proper had nothing to do with any of this.
Geeeeeeze.

Posted by David | December 25, 2007 6:31 PM

O RLY?

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2007 7:17 PM

Hey David....it's the web bro...shit travels fast. Maybe if you listened to some of the music you were trashing, your band wouldn't suck so bad.

Posted by portmanteau | December 25, 2007 7:42 PM

Hey smackahole, you're wrong, asshole. I gave the band props cause the group think that goes on in this "community" sickens me. I never even bothered to listen to Bodies of Water, 'cause it's been my experience that anything I haven't already checked out on my own that BV writes about tends to suck. I really can't understand myself how anyone could listen to 50% of the garbage on this site and still respect themselves in the morning and this most likely goes for BOW as well. I was a a huge fan of the Whigs for years and I have many friends who have expressed similar disbelief that I could enjoy listening to them. Different strokes.

But the richest shit is how the dumb asses on this site seem to think that having an opinion will ruin your "indie rock career." Hard to type that phrase with a straight face. You are an industry brown noser if you think this way plain and simple. Now please go die.

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2007 8:50 PM

Then why the fuck do you even COME here to this site if you "really can't understand" "how anyone could listen to 50% of the garbage on this site and still respect themselves in the morning"? That's unbelievable right there--who the hell goes to websites NOT to read what's going on there? If "50% of the garbage" "BV writes about tends to suck," then why even come here? For the 50% that doesn't? Riiiiiiiiiiight.

And love your "Now go please die" line! I'd love to be a part of THAT "group think." Go back to your Sunny Day Real Estate and Sebadoh CDs you stole from your sister.

Posted by Smackahole | December 25, 2007 10:24 PM

Haha, i hate the police too. And joni, and steely dum. Long live the future. Bow are days better than all that crap your momma made you listen to.. Nostalgia is gay.

Posted by shark week | December 25, 2007 10:42 PM

i like some of the bands he hates.... I guess this means i will not like his band.

so i will still like Jeff Buckley but i will not bother to listen to his band

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2007 11:02 PM

But he's soooo right...I don't know why I bother...I give up...I've totally been shown the light...this is EXACTLY like the time someone sat me down as a child and scolded me for listening to crap like Poison, Warrant, Winger, and Cinderella....oh wait--those bands did..um wait...no...no wait...yeah...those band actually DID suck. Nevermind.

Posted by synapticA | December 26, 2007 1:02 AM

Smackahole - Yes, I read this blog for the 50% (might be being a bit charitable there) that doesn't suck. Why is that difficult to believe? I suppose you never expose yourself to opinions that aren't exactly the same as your own? That ain't no way to live. So you probably should go die. Now.

Posted by Anonymous | December 26, 2007 5:10 AM

you anonymous commentators suck, at least this guy was doing it at his blog in his name and wasnt hiding behind his anonimity.

You post stupid shit under cover of anonimity. Or even worse you slander bands and people and even restaurants, like the guy who said some restaurant gave him disease.

Posted by Anonymous | December 26, 2007 9:20 AM

^ thanks for the comment ANONYMOUS!

Guess you work at the restaurant that gave someone disease?

Posted by Anonymous | December 26, 2007 9:37 AM

I used to hate hate hate Steely Dan. Then I watched (and became obsessed with) Yacht Rock, and slowly but surely, I developed a deep appreciation for, and now I love, Steely Dan.

WILCO is friggin amazing, and the Sky Blue Sky seems to be very influenced by Steely Dan.

Posted by Kurt C | December 26, 2007 9:40 AM

Ain't never gonna die, baby! Waaaaaaah! Waaaaaaah! You can't get enough, can you? That's why you came again to see my response to you, ya slipshod clipwidget. Go burn a bag a shit and stomp it out yerself like a good little nipple nuzzler.

GO LIVE, NOW!

Posted by Smackahole | December 26, 2007 10:25 AM

Steely Dan are AWESOME. I mean they're no Air Supply or Moody Blues, but I'd rather listen to them than Livingston Taylor any day of the week.

Posted by Anonymous | December 26, 2007 2:10 PM

Rage! RAAAGE! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 26, 2007 5:13 PM

will these douchenozzles be able to sell out Radio City M.H. when they're well into their 50s like Steely Dan did in 2003?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2007 12:59 PM

Steely Dan? COme on I agree with this guy. Steely Dan is complete shit, worse than the Eagles even.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2007 1:13 PM

also these are the albums Steely Dan beat out for the grammy in 2001:

Midnite Vultures performed by Beck, The Marshall Mathers LP performed by Eminem, Kid A performed by Radiohead, You're the One performed by Paul Simon

Further proof that Steely Dan should not be supported.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2007 1:15 PM

Which one is the chubby chaser?

Posted by Steve | December 27, 2007 1:32 PM

i can take or leave the rest but wilco? questioning wilco? shame on you

Posted by johno | December 28, 2007 11:50 PM

I don't think in this day and age its ballsy or challenging to say you don't like something. Expressing yourself by what you don't like is pretty much the standard for people afraid to risk being judged.
But anyway, I don't think there are too many sacred cows in indy rock. Radiohead is the only band that most people I know agree they like, maybe Bob Dylan too.

Posted by mb | December 29, 2007 2:52 AM

BIG DEAL!
holy shit!! some guy made a list on his site of bands he doesnt like that everyone else likes! holy shit! isnt this pretty much what the web is for? this guy can't have his opinion if it's different than yours? do all your friends have the exact same taste in music? i personally don't agree w/ him on some of these but i can't figure out why this is even newsworthy...

Posted by daniel | December 29, 2007 4:49 PM

who gives a fuck? really. who gives a fuck. stop wasting your time.

Posted by jordan | January 2, 2008 9:07 PM

Bodies of water suck. except Barcelona. he's so fucking fierce, almost too fierce for this world.

Posted by Mandy | January 3, 2008 7:48 PM

FUCK ALL Y'ALL 2 YEARS AGO-
RUSH RULES!
YOU STUPID FUCKN HIPSTERS ACT LIKE A TALENTED BAND LIKE THEM FROM AGES AGO IS AS LAME AND BORING AS LED ZEPPELIN OR THE EAGLES!

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 5:18 PM

they gay

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2009 11:51 AM

You'll get few comment from me on Rush or Steely Dan (because they are very suck).but Elvis Costello? And Wilco? And the Afghan Whigs?

Posted by stop smoking | October 30, 2009 7:34 AM

Posted by download the ghost writer | March 12, 2010 4:35 AM

Never really a fan of most Christmas songs, but I guess I can make an exception here.

Posted by Uchenna | January 5, 2013 6:35 PM