Posted in music | pictures on December 13, 2007

by Eric M. Townsend

Neil Young @ United Palace

Due to a last minute fire inspection and electrical problems inside the venue that began around 4pm on Wednesday fans were stuck waiting outside in the cold for nearly 2 hours before they were let inside the venue. The roughly 3,000 people stretched blocks around the side of the theater under a fairly underwhelming police presence (the crowd photo is of the fans waiting). Once inside the venue they announced that the opener, Neil's wife Peggi, was allowing Neil to just get straight into his set which still began nearly 45 minutes later than scheduled. The NYFD maintained a strong presence throughout the show and Neil cracked a few jokes at the NYPD’s expense saying that everything was hopefully under control as long as he did not catch on fire.

Neil Young @ United Palace

Neil Young @ United Palace

Neil Young @ United Palace

Donald Trump and his kids were in attendance as well as Jimmy Fallon from SNL. The show was December 12, 2007 @ United Palace Theatre in NYC, and there are five more like it to go.

Tags: Neil Young

"Once inside the venue they announced that the opener, Neil's wife Peggi, was allowing Neil to just get straight into his set which still began nearly 45 minutes later than scheduled."

How very generous of the opener to do that. Imagine the heartbreak of all the fans that showed up early to see the opening act. All 2 of them.

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 11:09 AM

although I was there last night (amazing show) I heard a rumor afterward that the "last-minute inspection" was due to the fact that the NYFD requested and were denied comp tickets for themselves and their families. pretty disgusting if true... the wait did suck, but I'd do it all over again. I also wish I'd ponied up for the high priced tickets instead of being stuck in the balcony, finances be damned!

Posted by j | December 13, 2007 11:12 AM

Yea, when I was coming in, the guy taking my ticket was absolutely freaking out because, as he noted, "the goddamn police are just taking people in with them!"

There was a genuinely weird vibe about all that shit. Not a big deal at all though.

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 11:21 AM

Jimmy Dolan called the Fire Marshall since the entire UPT staff is former Beacon employees. Great show last night! Can't wait for Sunday!
Everybody knows this is nowhere!

Posted by rescueblues | December 13, 2007 11:23 AM

Neil was caught with marajuana before the show and the NYFD let him off. So thank them if you saw the show. That's the truth, Ruth!

Posted by Jake | December 13, 2007 11:26 AM

Posted by Jake | December 13, 2007 11:27 AM

Posted by Jake | December 13, 2007 11:27 AM

Posted by Jake | December 13, 2007 11:27 AM

Who's Ruth?

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 11:30 AM

Setlist anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 11:34 AM

12-12-2007, United Palace, New York City, New York
w/ Rick Rosas, Ben Keith, Ralph Molina, Anthony Crawford & Pegi Young

From Hank To Hendrix / Ambulance Blues / Sad Movies / A Man Needs A Maid / No One Seems To Know / Harvest / Journey Through The Past / Mellow My Mind / Love Art Blues / Old Man / Heart Of Gold // The Loner / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Dirty Old Man / Spirit Road / Bad Fog Of Loneliness / Winterlong / Oh, Lonesome Me / The Believer / No Hidden Path // Cinnamon Girl / Don't Cry No Tears / Like A Hurricane

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 11:37 AM

Why would the NYFD care if Neil Young had marijuana?

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 11:39 AM

This is the setlist from last night's show, courtesy of http://www.sugarmtn.org/years/07nysets.html

I'm going tonight. Can anyone report on the standing room situation last night? I've heard conflicting reports on what the standing room area is at United Palace.

Also, does the venue have a coat check? Weather is lousy today.

Posted by JJ | December 13, 2007 11:47 AM

I heard Eddie vedder was supposed to make an appearance, but he fell off the stage during soundcheck.

Two old farts!

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 11:49 AM

HAHAHA! Eddie was in attendance and looked just fine!

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 11:54 AM

standing room is on both sides up against the walls. They are usually strict about how far you can lean in the aisle too.

How about picutre taking did they search on the way in?

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:01 PM

who is eddie vedder? YAWNNNnnn...

Posted by Gina | December 13, 2007 12:08 PM

I'm still baffled over the drinking policy and I suspect now this possibly factored into ticket price since many venues rely a great deal on bar profits.

Between that and the fire debacle I'm glad I didn't shell out for this show.

Out of curiosity thought. Those who were there... did you find it was worth it?

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:09 PM

Eddie Vedder is the guy who will be smoking marajuana outside the United Palace in 20 years! And I hope he falls off the stage again! LOL

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:11 PM

"Between that and the fire debacle I'm glad I didn't shell out for this show.

Out of curiosity thought. Those who were there... did you find it was worth it?"

Absolutely. The "fire debacle" wasn't really a debacle. It was a mild inconvenience, and when Neil came out w/ no opener, it was really no big deal.

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:16 PM

"last minute fire inspection and electrical problems "

--not true. It was actually all due to me drinking a beer at the wrong time.

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:17 PM

selling it or not, I can't justify 7 bucks for a 10 oz glass of beer

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:18 PM

Completely worth it. It was a great show.

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:20 PM

It was worth watching that stupid hippy fall off the stage before the show! I wish you all saw it!!! teehee

Posted by Jimmy Fallon | December 13, 2007 12:20 PM

"who is eddie vedder? YAWNNNnnn...

Posted by Gina | December 13, 2007 12:08 PM"

ahh just some guy who with his band has sold millions of records..played to sold out stadiums the world over...who was just nominated for a golden globe for one of his songs and will probably be nominated for an oscar as well.

Who is gina?

Ahhh probably just some idiot hipster scag who has no talent and will never be known outside of her little circle in williamsburg and even there is probably just known for all the loser halfwit guys she sucks off on a nightly basis.
Now keep yawnning so i can shove my cock in there G

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:22 PM

Marajuana reports have just been confirmed. It's Neil Young. Let em smoke. He's almost dead!

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:25 PM

Was there searching?
Was there a coat check?
Was there beer in the lobby?

Posted by JJ | December 13, 2007 12:33 PM

Hello BV! I have seen this rumor about eddie vedder hurting himself on various blogs all morning! Which is it?
Were Neil and Ed both busted for smoking drugs before the show??
Can anyone confirm this hilarious rumor? Aside from Jimmy Fallon!?! I wish YOU fell off the stage Jimmy! U SUCK!
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Ed...I hope you perform tomorrow night. I will be there!

Posted by Sean | December 13, 2007 12:34 PM

Was there searching?
Was there a coat check?
Was there beer in the lobby?

Posted by JJ | December 13, 2007 12:35 PM

Were Neil and Ed both busted for smoking drugs before the show??

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:36 PM

Definitely worth it, the acoustic set is a very intimate setting. The electric set he rocks out hard, No Hidden Path is over ten minutes! If you like Neil Young, you will not be disappointed one bit and feel it was worth it if not the very close. If you paid over $75 for a hockey/basketball/baseball game in this city or have gone to the Opera, Lincoln Center or Carnegie Hall or even B'way, this show is on par or more than worth it. Get a $106 ticket the sound is great in the back of the orchestra.
Also those complaining about alcohol prices.
$10 Johnny Black nice pour vs. $7 12 ounce beer, tell which one you choose. Only real drawback is there is only one bathroom and it takes forever to get home if you don't live in Wash Heights since the A train runs local at night.

Posted by rescueblues | December 13, 2007 12:39 PM

Could somebody reliably comment on whether the venue is checking people's bags and/or person? I would like to tape the show on sunday but don't want to run into trouble getting my stuff in.

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:48 PM

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:48 PM

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:49 PM

was harry carry there? was there snow? did you have ice cream? did he play "peaches"? was willie there? was merle there? did they have popcorn? was nomar there? was barry bonds there? did you taste the waste? was this in georgia? was lindsay there? did you "tie one on"? did you "crowd the house"? did you trim the tree?

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:50 PM

NYPD = Police Dept.
FDNY = Fire Dept.

So when you guys write "NYFD," do you mean the police or the fire dept.?

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:51 PM

TP=Toilet Paper

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:57 PM

"NYPD = Police Dept.
FDNY = Fire Dept.

So when you guys write "NYFD," do you mean the police or the fire dept.?
"

Condidering there is an "F", I'd be pretty sure it is a reference to the Fire department you snide hipster moron!

ps - the show was AMAZING! I hope you had fun at home :)

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:58 PM

For Chrissakes, what time does Daft Punk fall off the stage tonight?!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 12:59 PM

Eddie Vedder is nominated for a golden globe/academy award?? Ageing punk rockers don't win awards anymore coochy!

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 1:03 PM

no one was checking any bags or anything. All the shows I went to there, no one checked anything. However once inside Ive seen security telling people to stop taking pictures, not this show but at the Patti Smith /Black Crowes.

As for coat check, Im not sure, beers I don't know I'm too cheap to buy 7 dollar beers when I can get a 6 pack for that price back in Queens. So fuck that noise, I don't support it. If you have a need to drink I would recommend a flask with vodka or whatever you like.

Also- once again undercover PD in the 175th Subway station, so be careful about jumping turnstiles or anything else.

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 1:11 PM

PEOPLE---HATING ON EDDIE VEDDER IS SO 1994!

MOVE ON!

Was Stone Gossard there? lol!

Posted by the Anti-Gina | December 13, 2007 1:13 PM

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 1:16 PM

PEOPLE---HATING ON EDDIE VEDDER IS SO 1994!

MOVE ON!

Was Stone Gossard there? lol!

Posted by the Anti-Gina | December 13, 2007 1:17 PM

was anyone checking bags or anything? how much was beer? was eddie v there?

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 1:21 PM

was anyone checking bags or anything? how much was beer? was eddie v there?

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 1:24 PM

it was no big deal if you got there at 9. If you were standing there since 7 pm, thats 2 fucking hours in the cold. FDNY got a small round of boos when they first came out.

Also I would say it was definitely worth my 60 bucks in the balcony seats, and there were no people trying to sell tickets, so your chancne of getting a ticket for cost or less I would say are pretty slim, or at any price for that matter.

Neil made some comments on the whole thing, he said something like thank you for your patience it could be a lot worse like sitting in a burned out basement in Iraq waiting for our president to change.

It was a great show, Neil sounded great. Some of the crowd was not my scene, but that's to be expected when an FM radio staple comes to town.

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 1:25 PM

you people are all pathetic. except the person who posts all the questions about daft punk on every bv entry. every time i see that i just laugh so much. it really makes my day.

Cheers Anonymous, 12:59 PM.

Posted by dont care about gina or eddy | December 13, 2007 1:32 PM

Does anybody have setlist times??

Can you smoke inside the venue??

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 1:39 PM

How was the action painting? Or did the NYPFD ban that too?

Posted by drewo | December 13, 2007 1:45 PM

what time did neil go on last night?

Posted by jessie | December 13, 2007 1:47 PM

9:20 and it was over about 12:15.

Any real explanation of why FDNY was there? Don't tell me some stupid tick tack bullshit like the fire extinguisher inspection was past due. There should be an official statement.

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 1:53 PM

was there beer? goh cant anyone answer this question. will they check my bag, or should i bring a bookbag

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 1:55 PM

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 2:05 PM

Posted by fnpigs | December 13, 2007 2:10 PM

"The picture of the crowd outside confirms that Neil Young is one of those rare artists whose appeal stretches across racial and gender lines. "

Yeah those gender lines of White and Really White

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 2:21 PM

Yeah those racial lines of White and Really White

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 2:22 PM

"the cops were getting people in for $50 a head. i saw at least 5 people get in this way.

Posted by fnpigs | December 13, 2007 2:10 PM

If this is actually true then there needs to be an investigation quickly. Maybe Sen. George Mitchell can get on it now that his baseball report is out
I smell bacon abuse

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 2:25 PM

Donald Trump was in my seat. They sat me and my girlfriend in front of him instead. So basically, The Donald upgraded our seats!

On the way home I had all but forgotten about the long wait. Great first show, can't wait for the next five!

Posted by powerbooter | December 13, 2007 2:27 PM

Long live the Daft Punk guy!

Who the hell is Neil Young? He doesn't look very young...

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 2:41 PM

We're not just one guy, we're a goddamn movement.

Posted by What time does Daft Punk go on? | December 13, 2007 2:56 PM

WAS IKE TURNER THERE?

HAHAA

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 3:08 PM

WAS IKE TURNER THERE?

HAHAA

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 3:09 PM

We're not just one guy, we're a fookin movement!

Posted by What time does Daft Punk go on? | December 13, 2007 3:11 PM

Anyone know if they were selling alcohol in the venue. I am also curious if smoking was tolerated.

Posted by Mikeremhead | December 13, 2007 3:15 PM

Too soon, Anon 3:06-Anon 3:09, too soon!

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 3:15 PM

regardless of the bullshit that took place prior to the show and who was in attendance, neil put on an amazing show. yes, expensive beer but what else would you expect... no bag/coat check, (not sure if they were just in a hurry to get us in so neil could go on though.) loved my expensive seats, well worth it in my opinion. feel bad for the people who stood outside for hours freezing their ass off while I stayed warm in a neighboring restaurant which was probably a fire hazard by itself.

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 4:03 PM

Is his wife supposed to open every show? if so, what time is neil supposed to hit the stage?

Posted by Eric | December 13, 2007 4:11 PM

NME News
Neil Young pays tribute to Ike Turner in New York

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 5:00 PM

was at one of the tower theatre shows. neil's wife (pegi), who is opening on the tour, came on about 7:30 and neil came on around 8:40 though i think he typically comes on at 7:30 (they were trying to fix an organ last second at the tower show).

re: prices/setlists: i was among the b!tchers prior to the tower show. bought "cheap" seats and can tell you that to me the acoustic set is worth the price of admission alone. neil indirectly addressed the ticket prices at the tower saying that it has been a struggle to get back to the small theatres (as opposed to arena's) that he feels he should have been all along. the man is 62 (that's retirement age at a lot of companies) and is traveling the country (and soon europe) to perform excellent sets for us and make some money while he's at it. regarding set lists, neil has never changed it up all that much within tours. he is breaking out some true rarities and hardcore fan favorites. maybe you would be happier if he trotted out the same tired greatest hits setlist once a year? i guess i'll close by saying that i was a bit cynical before the tower but now i'm a believer (pun intended) and can't wait to see him again saturday.

p.s. at the phila. show you could not drink beer during the acoustic set but were able to during the electric set. this rule might have something to do with filming that's taking place and they don't want people constantly getting up to get a drink/take a p!ss

Posted by jeff | December 13, 2007 5:01 PM

sorry, neil usually comes on around 8:30.

Posted by jeff | December 13, 2007 5:08 PM

Anon 12:50 pm- i am peeing myself at your comment.
And that is the triple truth, Ruth!!
(Harry Carrey! )HA !!

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2007 10:42 PM

saw thursday show, was great. no bag checking, neil started at nine, played until 11:45.set list was similar to 12th but a few substitutes. bad bathroom situation though - no beer at seats, 20 min wait at set break. Neil was on fire though, played great and some good one liners. half the crowd wanted to stand, half was lame.

Posted by chrissy | December 14, 2007 12:39 AM

Like the person above said, Thursday's show was pretty fucking awesome. I have seen Neil many many times over the years and he is always great. He had some fire coming out of that guitar tonite, He did have some good one liners mostly to make fun of the as usual dopes screaming out shit. ONCE AGAIN YOU IDIOTS. WE DID NOT PAY MONEY TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK OR SAY. I could at least tolerate it if they were clever or funny but they usually are the most dimwitted who shout out. Is it really so hard for people to remain quiet and enjoy the silence in between songs especially for an acoustic set?
He made the same comments about coming back to theaters like he did in phila but i dont buy the whole reasoning for ticket prices being so high. If you think Neil Young is hard up for cash then you really are clueless. And by the way, Neil has over the years changed up his set lists a lot during tours. I dont know what tours you have seen JEFF from above. It was a little weird at times to see Neil sort of staggering around wondering what he was playing next and which instrument to use especially being as this tour has pretty much the same set every night. It made me think that maybe the reason is the possible residual effect from his medical problems. I mean the man did go through brain trauma.
Still much to enjoy but made me think I might go to some of the other shows as well. Neil is not gonna be around forever.
Oh and Donald Fagen from Steely Dan was there

Posted by Anonymous | December 14, 2007 1:02 AM

Anon. 1:02

I agree that Neil has changed up the setlists more so on previous tours (and was going to/should have included that as a qualifier) however my point was that he is not like the dead or allmans where you can expect a completely different set every night. i stand by the fact that on most of neil's tours he has a pretty standard block of songs and he fills in a few surprises each night. don't believe me? check out http://www.sugarmtn.org for neil's setlists over the years. With that said, i DO agree that he has been substituting less on this tour (though you guys got Mr. Soul last night, so that's cool). My greater point however, was that I think it's absurd for people to complain about the setlist since it's filled with rarities. Neil changes the setlist between tours a great deal.

Yeah, i didn't mean to suggest that I completely buy the reasoning behind the high ticket prices or suggest that Neil gets a pass. I'm still a little miffed as I'm sitting in the balcony for these shows, but I think it's worth it now. I'm glad he's not playing ordinary people on this tour though because I think it would be a bit hypocritical.

Anyway, enjoy the shows if you're heading to any more (I'll be there saturday).

Posted by JEFF from above | December 14, 2007 9:30 AM

p.s. I also noticed Neil meandering around a bit during the tower show and found it weird. Oh and I didn't answer your question. I've seen Neil at least once each time he's been in the phila/nyc area since 95 (I'm 28) so I don't have live neil experience prior to that. However, I wasn't getting laid a lot in high school so I spent some time perusing "Ghosts on the Road" (neil setlist book). Luckily, some things have changed, though neil still rocks.

Posted by JEFF from above | December 14, 2007 9:36 AM

Thursday's show was fantastic. Highlight was that Neil opened the electric set with "Mr. Soul" in lieu of "The Loner" (pretty sure this was the only performance of Mr. Soul on this tour to date).

Yeah, Neil had some words for the song-shouters. I think he said something like, "thanks for reminding me of the titles of my songs."

Beer limited to lobby. Not a bad idea in my opinion. I don't think 7 bucks is unreasonable at this type of event. It's a concert, not a keg party.

No searching that I could see, also no coat or bag check. Actually, security was pretty lax, and that goes for their standing room policy too. They let people stand pretty much anywhere along the sides of the ground level, though the "official" area was up in the balcony apparently.

Posted by Anonymous | December 14, 2007 10:22 AM

Anon 1:02 said "If you think Neil Young is hard up for cash then you really are clueless."

He's also earning some cash for his fellow musicians and crew. A lot of these folks have been with Young for a long time, and this may be their last big payday before retirement.

Some of you may not think twice about paying $200 for a good meal. Are the ingredients in that meal, and the time spent preparing it, really worth $200? But put it all together - the setting, the presentation and the flavor - and it takes on a special value.

Posted by drewo | December 14, 2007 10:43 AM

The beer situation was strange. the vendors had no idea if you could take beer in ... shouldn't they know? we were not stopped from bringing beer in during peg's opening set. at intermission, we asked the ticket checker guy if we could bring back beer before neil started, and he said 'yes' .. however, when we tried to do so, we were then told 'no' and had to chug our beers in the lobby. then later on, late-arrivers could be seen carrying full beers in during neil's set. no consistency. and to be honest, i really cannot fathom a logical reason for the beer policy ... for $183 a ticket, i should be able to bring in my own keg ..

Posted by Miffed | December 14, 2007 10:59 AM

For $200 a ticket, Neil should brew it himself and serve it from the stage.

Posted by Anonymous | December 14, 2007 11:22 AM

"Some of you may not think twice about paying $200 for a good meal."

Only if my date is hot and I'm confident I'm going to get lucky afterwards.

Posted by yet another typical BV commenter | December 14, 2007 12:03 PM

awesome show last nite:

note: general admin for other shows I've been to was downstairs also. I was gen admin last nite so when the door guy told me to go upstairs I ignored him. When I saw a fer people there I got in line behind them; ended up in a seat anyway their were a few empty ones, I lucked out.

Secondly, while there was no search on the way in, security was all over anyone trying to take a picture at anytime during the show including the encore.

I tell you one thing most of the ushers had no idea where peoples seats were. Early on they kept moving people around.

Posted by Anonymous | December 14, 2007 12:12 PM

Last night's show was great, but he broke the strings on Old Black during "Cortez" so NO LIKE A HURRICANE. Unfortunately. I loved hearing "After the Goldrush" though.

got there early to avoid Will Call line, at 7, which worked, except they didn't let anyone in until about 7:30. brought a book for Pegi's set. No bag search (or check). No beer in seats means people got DRUNKER (ie they gulped it down too fast in the lobby) which means they yelled STUPIDER SHIT which made Neil annoyed ("I'm busy as hell up here, you know") but didn't seem to kill the mood. Great show, definitely worth the extra bucks to see (I was in the balcony for the Stooges show in April and it was like they were playing a mile away and I was trapped in an AARP party).

Why the hell is he playing "Oh Lonesome Me"?

Posted by Chowderfinger | December 14, 2007 1:41 PM

chowderfinger
nice to throw in a reference to old black to try to sound like you are a neil expert. funny
anyway he was never going to play like a hurricane. i saw the set list at the board. cortez was the last song of the night and he ripped off the strings by the way to end it right before yelling to ralph molina that the song was not over yet. Then he ripped the strings and said now the song is over.

and oh lonesome me is a beautiful song. glad he is playing it.

Posted by Anonymous | December 14, 2007 1:58 PM

I have to agree "oh Lonesome Me" is a beautiful song. And for me was one of the highlight. The low point of the night was the crowd. Just shut up and enjoy.

Posted by Anonymous | December 14, 2007 2:08 PM

"Last night's show was great, but he broke the strings on Old Black during "Cortez" so NO LIKE A HURRICANE."

Dude, whose chowder have you been fingering? If you look at the setlists, he never plays Cortez AND Hurricane. He always plays CG followed by Cortez OR Hurricane OR TTN. If you're lucky he'll throw in Sultan or something special as a third encore.

Posted by Anonymous | December 14, 2007 4:34 PM

For $200 a ticket there should be free beer for Daft Punk.

Posted by Anonymous | December 14, 2007 4:39 PM

it's nyc, what do you expect from the crowd. 1/2 the people are going to be assholes. how about when neil talks into the phone on stage between songs.

Posted by Anonymous | December 14, 2007 11:31 PM

Posted by Anonymous | December 14, 2007 11:32 PM

who gives a shit?

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2007 7:08 PM

From Hank To Hendrix / Ambulance Blues / Sad Movies / A Man Needs A Maid / No One Seems To Know / Harvest / After The Gold Rush / Old King / Love Art Blues / Campaigner / Out On The Weekend // The Loner / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Dirty Old Man / Spirit Road / Bad Fog Of Loneliness / Winterlong / Oh, Lonesome Me / The Believer / No Hidden Path // Cinnamon Girl / Tonight's The Night / Cortez The Killer

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2007 1:07 AM

tonight's show was the best thing i have seen in a long long time. to those complaining about the cost - it was worth every cent.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2007 1:31 AM

Wow, the Saturday show was great. Neil played for close to three hours, and his candor during the acoustic set was very intimate. Yeah, they were expensive tickets, but still a big bang for your buck. The setting was also very surreal with the backdrop of the depression era movie house, which was amazing, and the complacency of the crowd. Some may have complained no one was standing up, the one person I saw who refused to sit down got kicked out, but the setting (i.e. small seats) left very little room for a concert with dancing anyhow, and it was probably best that way. I love to dance too, but you don't have to dance to have fun, with Neil listening and understanding was more moving to me. The only standing was for ovations, which were well deserved. This was my first and probably last Neil Young concert, as it set the bar so high I wouldn't want to be disapointed a second time.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2007 9:50 AM

There are people who like to dance to Neil Young's music? That sounds crazy to me.

Posted by Elaine Benes | December 16, 2007 10:52 AM

Neither snow, nor rain, nor holiday gloom will keep me from the United Palace Theatre tonight.

Posted by drewo | December 16, 2007 1:15 PM

Who the fuck dances at a Neil Young show?

Posted by Endless Nick | December 16, 2007 6:19 PM

WAS EDDIE VEDDER AT ANY OF THE SHOWS?

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2007 7:21 PM

WAS EDDIE VEDDER AT ANY OF THE SHOWS?

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2007 7:21 PM

WAS EDDIE VEDDER AT ANY OF THE SHOWS?

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2007 7:21 PM

WAS EDDIE VEDDER AT ANY OF THE SHOWS?

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2007 7:21 PM

Someone wrote: the one person I saw who refused to sit down got kicked out.

Nobody got thrown out for not sitting. The person who refused to sit whom you think got thrown out ended up having his ass kissed by the security dude who you think threw him out, and was then giving carte blanche to stand up and dance wherever the hell he wanted, including back at his seat. But instead of pissing off all the old farts behind him, he chose to dance for a while on the side of the balcony and then went up near the front of the stage. Standing and dancing is totally allowed and anyone who yells "sit down" is the one being a dick!

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2007 7:51 PM

Both Thurs and Sat shows were great. He was in fine form and great spirits. Amazing to hear some of the classics that I never thought he'd dig out and do (Ambulance Blues...one of my all time favorites...wow), and a few I thought I may not hear live again. And, I always love seeing the artists who are 60+ rocking out showing some wear and tear on the outside, but retaining every bit of the energy and spirit they showed 30 years before. Given all the "hope I die before I get old" crap we've all been programed with, its inspiring to see Neil, Patti Smith, Keith Richards and others proving them all wrong. 60 is the new 51 and all that....

Oh, and the only down side to the pricey ticket, in my opinion, is the crowd it brought. Tons of aging yuppies and princesses with too much surgery shooshing anyone who dared even to breathe too loud for their liking. If they wanted the opera, its at Lincoln Center, not on 175th Street...they made a wrong turn somewhere.

Just one more comment. I loved the sound at this venue, but... what poor planning. The lobby is tiny so...what did they do when they sold you a beer? They kept you in there and refused to allow you back to your seat (and all exits were final...). Idiots. And the bathroom scene was a mess. This place was not built to be a popular music venue.

Posted by Juan | December 16, 2007 8:21 PM

Saturday nights show, one of the best experiences of my life.

One block walk from the A train at 7PM, my wife and I stopped for a bite at Malecon. 15 minutes on line, seated and had some amazing chicken, black beans, rice. The ice cold Presidentes put me in a great mood. While the wife was paying the check, walked the block to get some fresh air (if you know what I mean) and at 5 minutes to 8 crossed the street to the Palace with a healthy buzz.

Once inside, we made our way through the crowd purusing merchandise and suffering warm cups of beer. Up the stairs to our seats. Lower loge, dead center, 5th row. Amazing view, now if only no one sits in front of us that is tall (we are both vertically challenged). Lucked out, two empty seats in the whole house, the one to my left nd the one right in front of me. Boy those 2 people missed out on a great night. Lower loge definitly the best in the house, I heard the complaints about orchestra seats with limited view because there was no pitch. I sat mesmerized by Neil for both sets, felt like he was playing just for us.
Acoustic set was so intimate, electric set so energized.Hey Neil what are you going to end with?

Wow man, we got Cinnamon Girl/Tonights the Night/and Cortez for encore!!!!!!!!!!

Great venue, great acoustics, worth every penny so enough of the complaining, you want a $30.00 show, go see some cover band, alright!!

Only complaints:
1. floor sticky
2. smells like that BMW on Seinfeld
3. Tie dye in front of me, didn't offer to pass her joint. It smelled great!

Oh, ride home----- A train after midnight to Penn.
1:16 to Hicksville train packed and full of *sshole high school kids from Syosset,whose parents should get out the belt! What a group of arrogant ill mannered disrespectful kids, I'm sure they will have great futures in the corporate world if they live that long. Oh by the way, yeah that was my wife that called the MTA to shut you guys and gals up. Worked didn't it? You were all so quiet after they got on the car at Jamaica. What's the matter? Mommy won't post bail?

Home after a ten minute icy slippery ride, couple of quick hits and into my warm bed with music still in my head..... "My my hey hey, rock and roll is here to stay!!

Thanks Neil

Posted by Leemo | December 16, 2007 9:52 PM

Whoops!!
Sorry about the chicken comments. Hope I didn't offend any of you vegans. RESPECT

Posted by Leemo | December 16, 2007 9:55 PM

Well that really sucks the dancing dude got beat up, he should have been given standing room near the stage where he could dance without being beat up. The pricey ticket for a seat are with a view, not blocked by a guy, dead center at the bottom of the upper section standing up dancing. All for dancing, but respect your fellow man too. It was a theater show by name, ticket price and design of the venue. Therefore, no he did not have the right to dance in his seat. Obviously dancing is not allowed in the seats based on the actions of the security guard. There is actually a law on the book in NYC that says just that. Anyone who yell is being a dick, period, it went both ways. He should have been asked nice :)

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2007 10:43 PM

Shut Down Indian Point

Posted by RemyC | December 17, 2007 9:40 AM

Great performance by Neil last night at the United Palace. It was truly a pleasure to watch a living legend in action. Sound, lighting, stage setting and pacing were near perfect. Great song selection including a healthy dose of rarities/obscurities. The theatre itself is beautiful, but don't plan on getting to the bathrooms, or breathing in the lobby during intermission.

However, much like many of the posters here, I found much of the audience to be quite revolting. It seems like a whole AARP contingent were bussed in from the Jets game and descended all around us. These old-timers could not resist singing drunkenly out-of-tune during Neil's acoustic numbers, wondering aloud to one another (during the songs) about the whereabouts of their friends Scottie, and Vinnie, and Stevie and Ricky, whispering and giggling about their secreted-booze they brought in, getting up constantly to run to the men's room because their aged kidneys could not contain the booze, and shouting out an endless list of song requests between songs (pity poor Neil Young being shouted at and treated like a circus freak night after night). When asked by another audience member to stop singing during the songs, one of these knuckleheads answered with "this is America". Which in his mind means he can be obnoxious if he wants to.

So we gladly escaped this cabal of senility at intermission and fled to the standing area along one wall for the electric set. Which was great. And yes Virginia, you can dance to Neil Young songs.

The prospect of hanging out with hipsters in a downtown club has never seemed so inviting.

Posted by drewo | December 17, 2007 11:04 AM

drewo, were you sitting near me? I totally witnesed this:

getting up constantly to run to the men's room because their aged kidneys could not contain the booze.

as well. The lady next to me was so old that she was using a cane and watching the show through tiny binoculars. I'm not kidding.

Great chicken at Malecon across the street!

Posted by kwhitehead | December 17, 2007 2:02 PM

Just cause we can't stop aging doesn't mean we have to stop rockin'. Hopefully when you reach our age you'll respect your own comments and stay home so we can get better seats.

Posted by AARPin4Years | December 17, 2007 7:43 PM

next time you stand up while the show is going on at the palace rev ike sends yo ass to jail. piss in your seat like everyone else.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2007 7:52 PM

Hey Leemo, I thought of you when I read this:

DAD SELLS SON'S 90-DOLLAR VIDEO GAME ONLINE FOR MORE THAN 9000

MONTREAL (AFP) - After catching his 15-year-old smoking pot, a father sold the hard-to-get "Guitar Hero III" video game he bought his son for 90 dollars for Christmas at an online auction, fetching 9,000 dollars.

The sale took place after the father spent two weeks searching for the video game for the Nintendo Wii gameboard.

"So I was so relieved in that I had finally got the Holy Grail of Christmas presents pretty much just in the nick of time. I couldn't wait to spread the jubilance to my son," the father wrote on the eBay website.

"Then, yesterday, I came home from work early and what do I find? My innocent little boy smoking pot in the back yard with two of his delinquent friends."

The man, a school teacher, who kept his identity private, said he sold the coveted video game to punish his son and discourage him from smoking dope.

The sale was a boon for the family's bank account, since the game the father purchased for 90 dollars (US) was finally sold to an Australian who plunked down 9,100 dollars for it.

The naughty son, however, will not go without a present on Christmas.

"I am still considering getting him a game for his Nintendo. Maybe something like Barbie as the Island Princess or Dancing with the Stars ... I know he will just love them," the father said, tongue-in-cheek.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2007 9:20 PM

Did you think of me because of the reference to smoking pot or the kids on the train?

Posted by Leemo | December 18, 2007 8:12 PM