Posted in music on December 22, 2007

Ronnie Spector @ Ike Turners funeral

The memorial service Friday for rock 'n' roll pioneer Ike Turner was much like the life of the troubled star: rich in music and applause, defensive about the nature of his legacy and, for good or bad, most memorable for its moments of controversy.

Phil Spector, fabled record producer and recent celebrity defendant, decried Turner's defining public persona as the abusive former husband of Tina Turner, a reputation largely shaped by the 1993 film "What's Love Got To Do With It," which Spector called "that piece of trash movie that made up things about him." He also insisted, "Ike made Tina the jewel she was."

Spector also took potshots at Oprah Winfrey, Whoopi Goldberg and Tina Turner, all of whom he said contributed to demonizing Turner, who died Dec. 12 at 76. [The Seattle Times]

Jeez, I really want PHIL SPECTOR to effing stand up for me! Kee-rist..just shows what a crud Ike was. RI farking P.

Posted by Hipnick | December 22, 2007 11:22 PM

Here I am to make some sense of it all.

Posted by The perfect speciman | December 23, 2007 12:42 AM

What time did Daft Punk play?

Posted by greg | December 23, 2007 12:58 AM

And like flies to shit, we can see above that the parade of morons is back once again

Posted by The ghost of Ike | December 23, 2007 1:40 AM

i guess spector just considers ike an amateur when it comes to violence against women. i mean when you actually shoot a woman, everything else just kind of pales in comparison.

Posted by ChrisF | December 23, 2007 1:47 AM

Was Phil Spector convicted of any crime recently? Oh wait i know the answer. No!

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2007 2:12 AM

Phil=Misogynist Ike=Women-Hater hmmmmm Who is going to speak at Spector's??? I hope it is soon. Aum Nameh

Posted by Infodiva | December 23, 2007 5:16 AM

Infodiva=dumb lesbian man-hater.

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2007 6:00 AM

1:40am, we all know what parade you'll be walking in. Bring your feathered boa.

Nice job Phil.

Posted by The perfect speciman | December 23, 2007 10:05 AM

This picture makes me ashamed to be a christian and that I have to answer to B/S I see there. I mean, I believe in redemption and forgiveness, but don't forget your three-piece suit and your cufflings, and may sure your tie matches your hanky, right? Oh, make sure your wife stands by your side - preferably your right - and doesn't say anything but always nods in agreement when you speak. And when she DOES speak, she repeats everything you just said. Oh, and if you're a Pastor, her title is "Assitant Pastor" by default because she's a good Christian girl.

BARF!!!!

Posted by b.LOUD | December 23, 2007 1:28 PM

Was OJ not available?

Posted by Peter | December 23, 2007 4:08 PM

b.LOUD-what are you smoking cause i want some

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2007 4:24 PM

Ike Turner was a gifted musician, songwriter and producer who had a fatal flaw, which detracts considerably from his legacy. However, he still had a notable influence on music ranging from the Rolling Stones even to R&B artists today.

Tina Turner made it through and even more so - flourished, but really are folks talking about "Thunderdome" when they consider her legacy?

Probably not.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 12:33 PM

Thunderdome was awesome

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2007 9:40 AM

Wintersox is luv.

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2007 8:51 PM

Thunderdome? i'll always remember Tina Turner for her ThunderThighs!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2007 10:40 PM

Ike was really kind and considerate. He helped many people over the years with his money time
recourses, talent, and shelter.

If Ike ate you ate.

I mMet him in Bakersfield California in 1964 and shall remember him for allowing me to dream and become a better person.

Farwell Good Brother Ike!

Bobby Thomas

Posted by Bobby Thomas | January 10, 2008 9:42 PM

recourses, talent, and shelter.

If Ike ate you ate.

I Met him in Bakersfield California in 1964 and shall remember him for allowing me to dream and become a better person.

Farwell Good Brother Ike!

Bobby Thomas

Posted by Bobby Thomas | January 10, 2008 9:42 PM

recourses, talent, and shelter.

If Ike ate you ate.

Farwell Good Brother Ike!

Bobby Thomas

Posted by Bobby Thomas | January 10, 2008 9:42 PM

Musician Ike Turner died of a cocaine overdose, the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office said Wednesday.

Ike Turner, seen at last year's Grammys, died accidentally, the San Diego County medical examiner says.

"The cause of death for Ike Turner is cocaine toxicity with other significant conditions," Supervising Medical Examiner Investigator Paul Parker told CNN.

Contributing conditions included high blood pressure and emphysema, he said. "The manner of death is an accident," he added.

Turner, who died December 12 at age 76, was perhaps best known for the blues, soul and funk music he and his then-wife Tina performed with the Ikettes during the 1960s and 1970s. Their hits included "Proud Mary" and "I Want to Take You Higher

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2008 8:43 PM

I read Phil's err...'speech' from the funeral....& am seriously concerned about his mental health. I know he was always...strange...but it seems now he is totally barking lol It was amusing though. Especially the part about how Oprah got Tina to write the book of her life to make Ike a villan....' oookkaaayy....err and why's that Phil baby? I know he's paranoid but this is disturbing. Tina's book was written in 1986 because she was fed up of interviews constantly asking her why her & Ike split.....the move came out in 1993....and Oprah & Tina didn't even MEET until the late 1990's lol Then he said 'ANYONE could be Tina....?' okay, so why aren't they? lol I'm sure we would've heard about them filling stadiums by now :D It's all a big surprise to me as Phil always praised Tina in the past. Att Tina's 60th celebration Phil was featured saying 'I love you & if you ever want to make any more historical records, just call me!' lol And now he hates her. Tina did say once that Phil had two faces....I see what she means lol But what's really disturbing is that people at Ike's funeral actually applauded Phil's speech? I guess they must all have been on the same low level to appreciate that kind of malice but then if they support the behaviour of Ike then they must be from the same seed. Ike was a great musician (although not successful great as he never really had megastar success filling stadiums ect.) and I am sure he had some wonderful & charming traits...but it doesn't mean his bad behaviours should be supported, not when they include beating women. Those who love him should have told him that, he would have been much more respected if he'd done the mature thing & taken responsibility for his actions, instead of bashing his victim for rightfully speaking out.

Posted by Sarah | April 23, 2009 7:02 PM