Posted in MP3 | music | pictures on December 6, 2007

DOWNLOAD: The Clean - Tally Ho (MP3)

I saw The Clean at Cake Shop on Saturday night (Dec 1, 2007). It was sweet...

The Clean @ Cake Shop

the Clean played a career-spanning smattering of songs, augmented at one point by guitar from Richard Davies (formerly of the criminally underrated Moles). At a time when so many bands of the Clean's stature are cashing in on outsized reunion tours, the whole evening was nothing short of inspiring. [Pfork]
The Clean @ Cake Shop

Yep, that's Ira sitting to the right of Joly in the front row. He was way into it. Georgia was there too (she even played guitar with opener Times New Viking The Mad Scene). That's when it occured to me that The Clean were probably going to open one of the eight Yo La Tengo Hanukkah shows this week. And they did - and on the rumored night - aka last night at Maxwell's (Dec 5, 2007).

The show I went to was one of five scheduled Clean shows - four of which were in NYC, and three of which were at Cake Shop. The other NYC show was at Other Music. Maxwell's was their sixth show in two weeks. I'm not sure when their next show will be, but they say they're planning on touring when their new album comes out - the album they're working on right now. Their last new album came out six years ago.

The dB's open the third Hanukkah show tonight (Dec 6, 2007).
Versus opened the first night.

I saw the fri and sat night shows and tonite opening for Yo La Tengo. Fri night was the best one of them all. Pure beauty all the way through. Sat was a bit of a letdown. Tonite was fun all around.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 2:07 AM

Posted by hmmmmm | December 6, 2007 2:27 AM

I saw the Thursday and Friday night show at Cake-shop and the Clean tonight open for YLT. My favorite nights were Thursday and the Maxwell's show.
All the members of the Clean and special guest Mac McCaughan also did few more songs with Yo La Tengo during the encore including a Ramones cover. A great night!

P.S. I was very, very disappointed with the Cake-shop venue - There is absolutely no stage - and unless a person is in the front row - it is impossible to see anything.

Posted by Renee | December 6, 2007 2:52 AM

"too bad the clean didn't play union hall. would've been obvious with their indiepop draw."

Though the Clean didn't play Union Hall, David Kilgour and has band just played Union Hall with his band on Nov. 9, also with Ira and James of YLT in attendance.

Posted by Renee | December 6, 2007 2:59 AM

Friday's Clean show was pretty rad too, but you really did have to stake a claim early at the front to get any view whatsoever. The Cake Shop is not cut out for high demand shows.

For what it's worth...

Posted by Jeff K | December 6, 2007 8:16 AM

i usually listen to only disc 1 of their anthology but their second disc is possibly even better.

ive also been listening to loads of early david kilgour...

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:06 AM

"i saw them only at other music. i thought they were fantastic but opted to skip the other cake shop shows for the reasons mentioned above."

Makes no sense since Other Music has even worse sightlines than Cake Shop. Sounds just like you were too cheap to buy a ticket.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:23 AM

or missed your chance at rsvp'ing

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:11 AM

nah, i was cheap. and i didnt feel like sweating my balls off next to you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:29 AM

Yeah that guy Ira gave me a hard time for shooting. I had to tell him to back off at one point.

I didn't get such good audio on the Saturday, but very good the other two nights. I thought Thursday was easily the best show. David seemed a bit tired on Fri, and a little harassed on Sat.

I'll post stuff up sooner rather than later.

Posted by joly | December 7, 2007 1:06 PM

Oh and, Georgia played with The Mad Scene not TNV.

Posted by joly | December 7, 2007 1:07 PM

Oh and, that's Kevin Petersen's bald patch that you can see in the foreground of the pic :)

Posted by joly | December 7, 2007 1:22 PM