Posted in NYC | music | veggie on December 23, 2007

Veggie Castle"'Twas a dark week in the kingdom of Veggie Castle – formerly a White Castle converted to a vegetarian eatery on Church Avenue in Flatbush. First because someone got shot in their parking lot Thursday morning. But more importantly (and totally unrelated): They announced their imminent closure after a 10-year run.

The demise of this rare vendor of jerk tofu, porridge, elaborate juices and “Ital Jockey” – a brew of sea moss, bee pollen, Chinese herbs and cashews, among other things – shall be felt not only by the nabe’s Rastafarians and Caribbean residents, but by all those herbivores from Park Slope and beyond....." [Worst news ever]

In related, but better news, the Caribbean vegetarian restaraunt Mighty Diamond is open in Williamsburg (347 Graham Ave), and getting some good reviews.

Awww... that sucks. I really liked Veggie Castle. Not that I'm in the area a whole lot...

Posted by bill p | December 23, 2007 8:58 PM

yeah im gonna miss that sea moss and bee pollen...and getting shot...good times.

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2007 9:05 PM

i for one will miss veggie castle, but i'm really liking mighty diamond, also it's only a few blocks from my office which makes it even greater

Posted by dan | December 23, 2007 10:07 PM

Is that really in Park Slope?

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2007 11:53 PM

"in Flatbush"

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 12:01 AM

I feel so weak and hungry all the time and my b-12 is low. Doctor told me I need a vitamin supplement because my vit. b-12 level are close to anemic (in the 200 range). I don't think I can take this much longer. Being a vegan is very hard.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 1:54 AM

or maybe you should stop your weak attempt at discouraging the veggie or vegan diet.

do you really think you are going to scare people who might think about the benefits of not eating meat by complaining about b-12? that's not really what you need to worry about if you are a vegetarian or vegan.

why would you take the time to dis vegetarians? are you really that scared of them?

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 4:05 AM

Do YOU really think you're going to attract people to the veggie or vegan diet by being such a paranoid, defensive prat?

Who would be scared of a vegan? Come on, fool...

Posted by hassleback | December 24, 2007 7:05 AM

A) It's not "more important" that any restaurant is closing down than someone getting shot.

B) Live right by the Mighty Diamond and was very, very disappointed. Bland, overpriced, and I sincerely hope my neighborhood does not start getting overrun by more ostentatiously colored/painted places like this. There's a great area in Williamsburg for that--it's called Bedford Avenue. Let's keep the low-key, locals vibe on Graham, eh?

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 7:52 AM

haha nice going instead of being supportive you gonna rip someone because they are being honest?

and anemia is something you should worry about if you're a vegan, just read the literature. Dietary supplement is a good idea.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 10:02 AM

It's possible to be weak and ill from an omnivorous diet, if one is not eating healthy foods. I am a vegan going on 12 years. I am 50. My blood pressure is 100/60. My iron, protein, B12 are all normal and my cholesterol is low. I am an avid hiker, skier, biker, etc... This year in my office, I was the only person of 12 to not get sick with a nasty cold. If you eat healthy vegan foods, including a B12 supplement now and then, you fare better than most people who eat an omnivorous diet. Don't forget: the majority of diseases in this country are diseases of excess----not deficiency.

Posted by chandra25 | December 24, 2007 11:04 AM

White Castle is delicious.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 11:49 AM

Nice to see the place is closing and rent is being raised AFTER the development boom hit. Is anyone still under the delusion that they can just build stuff nowadays and become instant millionaires?

That's what's sad here. The boom is over. And people are still evicting long-term/quality tenants to make way for... Not much.

Posted by Jack | December 24, 2007 2:10 PM

Yeah, back when things were booming it was totally cool to evict "quality tenants" to make a buck. Now it's just bad business.

Hopefully some hipster douchebag will pour his or trust fund into a coffee shop, lose it all and have to pack up and go back home.

Oh, and if you need some B12 and don't want to exploit animals, they got pills for that, dumb ass. Or eat some tempeh, miso, seaweed, etc.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 4:29 PM

anon 4:29pm, you sound like you need a hug :(

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2007 5:02 PM

i got food poisoning there once. had to pump my stomach at the hospital.

Posted by bad food | December 24, 2007 11:29 PM

that place sucked. sure rat shit is vegetarian but the taste- not so good

Posted by Anonymous | December 26, 2007 12:35 PM

Unfortunately, we only got the chance to eat at Veggie Castle once, and the food was great. I'm sorry to see it go; hopefully the owner can reopen in a different location. In the meantime, Nostrand Ave, (between Eastern Parkway and Fulton Street) has a bunch of similar vegan/vegetarian Caribbean spots, (Ital Shack, Imhotep) with comparable food, although these are mainly take-out places.

B-12? Rat shit? Get yourself some hobbies, son.

Posted by Danny Hellman | December 29, 2007 3:40 PM

Noooo! I never made it there, but it sounded amazing. And I think Mighty Diamond's food is disgusting (not to mention overpriced) - definitely not a substitute, from what I've heard about Veggie Castle.

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2007 12:02 PM

You thought the Mighty Diamond food was disgusting, but you like Foodswings????!!! What exactly is it that you eat at Foodswings-- a frozen Boca chicken nugget made in a toaster oven at some NYU kid's dorm with a side of blue cheese dressing on iceberg lettuce? Yuck, give me a break. Maybe you ate at the MD on an off day, cuz all their HOMEMADE, WHOLE GRAIN, UNREFINED, real vegetables and stews and salads taste great to me. $7 for a full plate of brown rice, curry seitan and potatoes, and rosemary roasted vegetables or jerk tofu or sauteed greens or crunchy slaw suits me well. Throw in a homemade vegan chocolate rum cake and a mint limeade or a red stripe and i'll be whistlin dixie.

Posted by louise | January 26, 2008 9:43 PM