Posted in music on January 21, 2008

Coachella

The indie-rock kids of Coachella are in store for a classic-rock moment this April: Roger Waters of Pink Floyd will re-create the band’s trippy 1973 masterpiece “Dark Side of the Moon” on the festival’s main stage, which also will feature the Raconteurs, the Verve, Jack Johnson, Kraftwerk and a reunion of Portishead.

The ninth edition of the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival will take over the Empire Polo Field outside the dusty town of Indio from April 25 through 27. The 125-act lineup was announced Monday afternoon at a press conference in Mexico City with Death Cab for Cutie, My Morning Jacket, Love and Rockets, and Justice among the names on the bill along with M.I.A., the Breeders, Rilo Kiley, Sasha & Digweed, Café Tacuba and Fatboy Slim. Tickets will go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday. [LA Times]

Entire lineup and poster below....

Coachella 2008

FRIDAY, APRIL 25: Jack Johnson, The Verve, Raconteurs, The Breeders, Fatboy Slim, Tegan and Sara, Madness, The Swell Season, The National, Animal Collective, Slightly Stoopid, Mum, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, Stars, Battles, Aesop Rock, Midnight Juggernauts, Does it Offend you, Yeah?, Minus the Bear, Spank Rock, dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip, Diplo, Adam Freeland, Santo Gold, Jens Lekman, John Butler Trio, Vampire Weekend, Dan Deacon, Architecture in Helsinki, Sandra Collins, Busy P, Cut Copy, Black Lips, Datarock, Professor Murder, Reverend and the Makers, The Bees, Porter, Rogue Wave, Modeselektor, American Bang, Lucky I Am.

SATURDAY, APRIL 26: Portishead, Kraftwerk, Death Cab for Cutie, Cafe Tacuba, Sasha & Digweed, Rilo Kiley, Dwight Yoakam, M.I.A., Hot Chip, Cold War Kids, Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks, DeVotchKa, Flogging Molly, Mark Ronson, Turbonegro, Scars on Broadway, Islands, Enter Shikari, Calvin Harris, Boyz Noize, Junkie XL, Cinematic Orchestra, Jamie T, The Teenagers, VHS or Beta, Carbon/silicon, Erol Alkan, Yo Majesty!, Little Brother, Bonde Do Role, St. Vincent, Akron Family, MGMT, Institubes DJs (Surkin, Para One and Orgasmic), James Zabiela, Sebastian, Kavinsky, Dredg, The Bird and the Bee, Grand Ole Party, New Young Pony Club, 120 Days, Yoav, Electric Touch, Uffie

SUNDAY, APRIL 27: Roger Waters (“Dark Side of the Moon”), Love & Rockets, My Morning Jacket, Spiritualized, Justice, Gogol Bordello, Chromeo, The Streets, Metric, Danny Tenaglia, Simian Mobile Disco, Booka Shade, Murs, Dmitri from Paris, Autolux, The Field, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Les Savy Fav, The Cool Kids, Sons & Daughters, Sia, Holy Fuck, Black Kids, Black Mountain, The Annuals, Kid Sister w/A-Trak, Man Man, Duffy, I'm from Barcelona, Manchester Orchestra, Deadmau5, The Horrors, Austin TV, Shout Out Louds, Plastiscines, Brett Dennen

Tickets for COACHELLA go on sale Friday, January 25 at 10:00 AM (PT) via TicketMaster charge-by-phone lines at (213) 480-3232 and at all TicketMaster retail ticket centers or online at www.ticketmaster.com. Ticket prices are as follows: 3-day general admission: $269.00 + applicable service fees. Single day general admission: $90.00 + applicable service fees. Camping events: General admission camping: $55.00 per person + applicable service fees.

At the same time, promoters can now confirm preliminary details for the ALL POINTS WEST MUSIC & ARTS FESTIVAL. The three-day event is set for August 8, 9 and 10, 2008 at Liberty State Park in New Jersey. This historic location offers panoramic views of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and the Manhattan skyline. The festival’s name is inspired by the area’s rich history, particularly Ellis Island and the NJ Central Railroad terminal located on the festival site, where people boarded trains for ALL POINTS WEST. Additional details re the line-up, ticketing and other information for ALL POINTS WEST will be announced in the coming weeks.

wow that kind of blows, I hope this means all the good bands are gonna be on one of these east coast festivals.

Posted by Phil | January 21, 2008 6:32 PM

Murs

OTHERS (didn't catch day):
The Breeders
Black Mountain
Shout Out Louds

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 6:39 PM

Kraftwerk at Hammerstein a few years ago were awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 6:42 PM

maybe stephen malkmus will do animals in its entirety.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 6:45 PM

UNDERwhelming to say the least. attendance will PLUMMET this year. coachella east is going to be heaps better than this, without even trying.

Posted by jujubean | January 21, 2008 6:58 PM

see you next year.

Posted by Monklish | January 21, 2008 7:00 PM

you guys have obviously never been to coachella

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 7:07 PM

jack johnson is a headliner? really?

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 7:12 PM

sucks big time, Roger Waters??? WTF

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 7:12 PM

jack johnson???? what the hacky sack?

Posted by no | January 21, 2008 7:12 PM

Full lineup:

It's in spanish, but you can get the main idea :)

Posted by Gerardo | January 21, 2008 7:13 PM

Posted by Laura | January 21, 2008 7:17 PM

Right, it'll totally plummet. Nobody really bit into that whole "Dark Side of the Moon" hype, did it? Maybe some people downloaded it, but nobody bought it, did they?

Team Brooklyn Vegan commenter I think often forgets that he/she pays 1000 times more attention to the minutia than most other music fans, and lose focus of the big picture/casual music fan picture.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 7:20 PM

thats a solid lineup

Posted by stad | January 21, 2008 7:23 PM

Jack Johnson -- headliner

please excuse me while i go shit my pants in excitement.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 7:26 PM

Christ this sucks. I'm can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm going to cancel my hotel reservations and I'm a 5 year vet! JACK JOHNSON?! And New York gets RADIOHEAD?! There's like, maybe, 8 bands I would pay to see spread amongst the entire three days. Ugh. Next time, GV.

Posted by zik | January 21, 2008 7:28 PM

"Jack Johnson? I'm not going. I said I would go no matter what, but if that's the case I'm definitely not going."

Why not go and on Friday night leave right after The Verve (or The Raconteurs)? Would that unexpected/unwanted free time ruin the whole weekend for you?

Posted by WORST LINEUP EVER | January 21, 2008 7:34 PM

the second tier acts are good (national, animal collective, battles ect) but the headliners are pretty weak...

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 7:37 PM

enough with the consequence of sound. we know you have a blog b/c you tell us ALL THE TIME

Posted by anonymous | January 21, 2008 7:50 PM

Posted by James Snuka | January 21, 2008 7:51 PM

You people are insanely short-sighted jackoffs.

Kraftwerk, Madness, Murs and Mum on the same bill? I loathe Coachella with almost viral passion and I'm almost thinking of going.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | January 21, 2008 7:54 PM

Besides the Jack Johnson headliner BS, it's a pretty sold line-up.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 7:56 PM

Is Jack Johnson that popular? I only know people in South Jersey that like him

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 8:06 PM

Fratboys that wear Shark Tooth necklaces are stoked

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 8:07 PM

This coachella lineup is nothing without RADIOHEAD!
For get Jack Johnson!

Posted by carlos | January 21, 2008 8:12 PM

yea, screw jack johnson and roger waters. but hell, this is my 4th year and i never really enjoy the headliners. i'm pretty hooked on the whole festival. official poster's up.

Posted by jojo | January 21, 2008 8:37 PM

Yawn, nothing special here. Will save that cross country trip money and see all the good bands on this lineup in smaller places during the year.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 8:48 PM

When will we get to know line ups for the NJ festival?

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 9:13 PM

Yawn.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 9:28 PM

weird that jack johnson is a headliner

weird

gross

an d weird

gross

weird

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 9:40 PM

can someone tell me who the hell Jack Johnson is? not a joke.

Posted by triangle, motherfucker! | January 21, 2008 9:53 PM

who really cares about the headliners? you people are stupid. this is gonna be a great weekend.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 10:03 PM

Anyone know why the press conference was in Mexico City and not Los Angeles or anywhere in California or the States?

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 10:08 PM

what dickhead booked jack johnson?

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 10:31 PM

Festivals like Coachella always suck if you want to fully enjoy live performances, unless you're into waiting in lines for hours to get close to a stage and stay there. You can see pretty much everyone on this list in much more intimate settings if you live in New York. I always obsess about finding a strategic spot for best possible view/sound, but when I go to festivals, I just go to have fun. I move b/w stages, get drunk and enjoy the fact that all these people are playing in the same place within three days. If there aren't enough bands/singers in this lineup to make it an enjoyable three days for you, maybe it's time to stop listening to music and visiting blogs like BV and get into something else like collecting stamps. I personally find Jack Johnson very boring. I'm sure I can see someone else while he's on or worst case leave a little early that day.

Posted by Dan | January 21, 2008 10:36 PM

jack johnson=wtf. cant wait for the east coast lineup to come out

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 10:39 PM

man i hope jack johnson doesnt play the other one

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 10:43 PM

Coachella headliners are not the acts that close out the night (nor that main stage). Other acts go on at the same time on other stages/tents and afterwards.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 10:46 PM

You know a lineup sucks if you wish Coldplay and No Doubt rumors were true.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 10:56 PM

Yo Majesty's breasts will make up for the Jack Johnson mistake.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 11:07 PM

does anyone know if that's the uk bees or us?

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 11:27 PM

I was also in the camp of "I'll go regardless", but I've changed my plans instantly. I like many of the groups playing, but it's just not strong enough to make me want to throw down the cash to fly out there. I'd rather see the small and medium bands at clubs. There isn't one headliner I'd travel for. I've been going to 2 festivals a year, and was looking forward to going to coachella again, but I'll wait to see what the other 10 festivals have. I think GV failed to make this a must go event.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 11:28 PM

wuh, very cool but

where is MY BLOODY VALENTINE T.T???

Posted by Gerardo Cedillo | January 21, 2008 11:42 PM

I only have two words: Fatboy Slim

that is my reason for going.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 11:59 PM

I find it odd people are like "JACK JOHNSON?! WHAT?!?!" but not "There is something wrong with Portishead headling over Kraftwerk".

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 1:07 AM

Calvin motherfuckin Harris. hell yes.

Posted by lisa | January 22, 2008 1:13 AM

this is so underwhelming its sad really

though i saw roger waters over the summer and it blew my mind, but i just don't thinkn he's the right fit for coachella

no MBV, which is sad too, o well

just really not the line-up i was hopeing for

Posted by bobdoleequalsgod | January 22, 2008 2:17 AM

"Monklish said the Verve would open for Coldplay, and My Bloody Valentine for Portishead. And that Justice and Black Kids would not be playing. PWND. Well, it's us that got pwned with a bad lineup, really.

You know a lineup sucks if you wish Coldplay and No Doubt rumors were true."

Excuse me but if you actually believed that idiot or any of the other assorted morons who said they had inside knowledge than I have some really good property to sell you in downtown Iraq.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 3:11 AM

V O M I T

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 3:56 AM

great line-up - no smelly grunge/crossover cadavers like smashing pumpkins, beastie boys, rhcp, ratm, tool etc.

who needs the overrated radiohead instead of the verve and roger waters?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 5:28 AM

^Ahahahaha^

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 6:24 AM

radiohead sucks...depressing douche bags...i prefer non-depressing douche bags like jack johnson or depressing douche bags like portishead...

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 7:14 AM

My faves are Dwight Yoakam and The Breeders and of course Jack Johnson

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 7:47 AM

i prefer danzig, apocalyptica, h.i.m. or children of bodom. iron maiden, slayer or rammstein would be great too.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 7:55 AM

what time are daft punk covering animals in the dance tent?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 8:35 AM

if you've ever been to coachella, then you should know that it's about way more than the headliners. take note of the smaller acts that are playing and check them out while jack johnson is playing. guarantee you'll have a much better time. take last year... spank rock killed it while ratm was on the main stage. they were one of the highlights of the weekend, and not even remotely a headliner. add to that the fact that they have other stuff going on, amazing artwork, and that they almost always add others between now and the festival outself, you really do have one of the best festival around. if you're gonna bitch, then just stay home.

Posted by jp | January 22, 2008 9:03 AM

They are definitely going cheap with these "headliners". Paying Rage to reform or Radiohead or the Chili Peppers to headline alone is more than combining the price of Friday and Saturday headliners.

I just cancelled my hotel reservation and glad that I didnt book a flight.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 9:52 AM

echoing the sentiments of other posters: i was SO THERE, no matter what. now, it's not worth the trip. even with stage passes.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 10:12 AM

I have been to Coachella - ever year - and that line up is very disappointing. I will try my luck at Lolla or some other fest this year.

Posted by cdubya | January 22, 2008 10:23 AM

whatever! The Verve and Portishead seal the deal.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 11:06 AM

Thank GOD most of you aren't going to Coachella this year because a couple of the "headliners" are offensive to you. Makes it that much easier to see the rest of the lineup, which is amazing, you dorks!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 11:06 AM

headliners are tough, but who else is it going to be at the point. everyone who could possibly reunite with any kind of excitement has already done it. I'll see Spiritualized, DEVOTCHKA, Animal Collective, Hot Chip. Not bad

Posted by Frank | January 22, 2008 12:00 PM

worst Coachella line up ever. I went 2 years ago. The only band that would make me even consider going back is Radiohead.

Roger Waters and Jack Johnson? give me a break. And Roger Waters with his lip synching is sort of a slap to the face to his fans. I don't even know who Jack Johnson is.

And the artists on that list that I like I've already seen 5 or 6 times in last 2 years. So there.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 12:15 PM

Como se dice, garbage festival? Who's gonna pay the ridiculous ticket price this year? ACL is still the best bargain of the summer.

Posted by andre | January 22, 2008 12:16 PM

Madness, Flogging Molly, Slightly Stoopid all fucking suck.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 12:49 PM

Looks like the bookers got an Ed Banger sampler. zzzzzz.............

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 12:56 PM

Linton Kwesi Johnson will put them all to shame

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 12:58 PM

Jack Johnson read this thread and cried himself into surfing and writing another "awesome" tune.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 1:53 PM

well im glad all you losers wont be at the fest, it will be much less crowded. just so you know, radiohead and daft punk dont make for an awesome festival. so quit your whining and book your flight for chicago so you can attend amateur hour 2008 aka lolla

Posted by BOBBBY | January 22, 2008 2:24 PM

I'm just going to score some good acid and shrooms. Who cares about the giant inflatable pig?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 2:32 PM

Well, there's always next ....

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 2:49 PM

Yeah, it upsets me as much the next person that Jack Johnson is performing, let alone headlining, but there are so many great small, up and coming bands on this bill, and My Morning Jacket will ROCK!!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2008 3:51 PM

if you guys can get past jack johnson (and i know effing ridiculous) that's a solid lineup, yeah not as good as last year, but if you've ever been to coachella, it's always fun and worth it.
so many good bands, just gotta read the small text that's hard to see.
some of those bands deserve to headline wayy more.
i probably won't be able to save up enough for all the days but i'm going saturday for sure. KraftwerkkkklovEE

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2008 1:46 AM

look at the sick electro hipster line-up. FUCK YES! I am going for sure.

Midnight Juggernauts
Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Spank Rock
Chromeo
Murs
Simian Mobile Disco
Cool Kids
A-Trak & Kid Sis

Posted by Anonymous Jabroni | January 24, 2008 2:46 PM

Spiritualized play at sunset Love and Rockets,at sundown SUNDAY april 27th coachella stay and party at desert hot spings hotel

Posted by lahipster | January 24, 2008 6:00 PM

jack jonson is a white girls wet dream but a joke with hot indie Asian girls

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2008 6:02 PM

what happened to mbv? now i have to kill myself

Posted by heath ledger | January 25, 2008 12:07 AM

the lineup isnt as strong as it was in the past but im still goin. i can still find at least ten acts that are playing that i'd like to see.

Portishead

plus:
Flogging Molly
John Digweed
Madness
Dredg
Justice

not as great as the past, but not bad at all. I think its gonna be great.

Posted by BrickTop | January 25, 2008 12:15 AM