Posted in movies | music | tour dates on January 9, 2008

Kimya Loves you

KIMYA'S LATEST MESSAGE

more shows and shtuff

hello from new orleans, louisiana. i fucking love this town. i fucking love the people here. the show at the iron rail was awesome yesterday. my friends alynda and patsy grace played too and i cried and cried. i love them.

and the big hugs just keep getting bigger.

today we are going on a four hour tour of the city to see what was, what happened, and what has been and is being done in the rebuild. last night was dinner at the mother-in-law. sweetest ladies ever hosted us, danced with us, and stuffed us full of soul food.

even if you think you know when all the shows are look again, there are new ones in some of the same towns!

the shizz...

KIMYA DAWSON
at Newbury Comics
332 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02115
(617) 236-4930
7pm
Event will be free, no cd purchase is required
Acoustic set 20-30 mins
Signing copies of Juno, and any Kimya releases

And after Newbury Comics there is going to be a house show in Boston (Jamaica Plain) with Angelo Spencer, and Karl Blau, and the 2 bands who live in the house. As soon as I get the address I will let you know.

THEN

Saturday Jan 19th
Kimya Dawson
Karl Blau
Angelo Spencer
@ At The First Unitarian Church
2125 Chestnut Street (22nd and Chestnut Streets)
Philadelphia, PA
$10 / All Ages
Buy advance tix from Ticket Web of at Relapse Retail Store (608 south 4th)

and later that day an instore at AKA. i will let you know the time, as soon as I know it.

good stuff.

we love us some Karl Blau. it's nice to have a sweet buddy on board.

More to come.

xo Big Mama K

p.s. PLEASE don't write back to this post telling me to come to your town. We are REALLY trying to make it all over the place in the next few months and because we are on the road and I am attending a conference, there is limited internet time. I love you. I love your town. I am working on it. <3

Kimya Dawson - 2008 Tour Dates
Jan 10 - House of Blues new orleans, Louisiana
Jan 13 - Southpaw Brooklyn, New York (early show)
Jan 15 - Sound Fix Records Brooklyn, New York (FREE) (Juno CD release show)
Jan 16 - Europa, Brooklyn, NY
Jan 17 - Newbury Comics boston, Massachusetts
Jan 19 - First Unitarian Church, Philadelphia, PA

i know this is going to start a huge argument about "haters" and probably encourage some accusations of sexism as well (which fall kind of flat when your entire angle on fame is that you were once a stripper-note NYT article), but purely based on the content they produce, these people are horrible and should never make films/write music again. i can't wait for this wave of interest to die in about, oh, two weeks.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2008 8:21 PM

what a huge argument you started, huh?

Posted by I'm anonymous too | January 9, 2008 9:27 PM

Yeah well you may get your wish Anon 7:02pm. While i loved Juno and thought the script was awesome, I have a copy of Diablo's next script which she is directing. It is called Jennifer's Body and it is ok but nowhere near as good as Juno.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 6:31 AM

"these people are horrible and should never make films/write music again. i can't wait for this wave of interest to die in about, oh, two weeks."

Kimya Dawson is not a new artist.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 8:14 AM

do people really talk like Juno in real life? some of the dialogue i found to be very unrealistic.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 9:16 AM

that's what they said about dawson's creek...

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 9:35 AM

I think Juno put a much needed positive spin on teen pregnancy. Getting knocked up in high school can be cute and funny, as long as you're shite, middle class and from a solid suburban nuclear family. Any teenies out there wanna do the horizontal bop?

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 9:36 AM

I agree, Anon 9:16, it was ridiculous. I've never known movies to be unrealistic in the past. Hey did anybody catch Aliens Vs. Predator?

Posted by alex | January 10, 2008 9:39 AM

No wonder this woman became a writer. How the fuck did she ever earn a living as a stripper? She's got a face that's a cross between Tela Tequila and a Bratz doll, and quite a set of cankles. I wouldn't bother converting my bar mitzvah money into singles to "make it rain" on her.

Posted by Rabi | January 10, 2008 9:44 AM

oh bv, this was my one refuge from the diablo cody pr onslaught.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 10:09 AM

i'm so glad to find other people who thought that movie was kind of bad. irritating dialogue, self-concious art direction(check out my bottle of sunny d!), napoleon dynamite ripping. i liked the second half tho.

there are certainly worse movies, but it's getting way too much love. michael cera and kimya were the best things about it.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 10:19 AM

I sort-of liked teh message is sent on teen pregnancy, but I found the dialogue abismal. It was beyond irritating... and yes, no one I know speaks like that. No wonder this girl used to be a blogger. The film's dialogue sounded like it was culled from all the Gawker & Perez commenters. One of my contenders for worst film of the year.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 10:31 AM

The movie was pretty good. I would rent it rather see it in the theater. Nothing earth-shattering, just a cute/sweet movie. There are far worse movies out there to complain about.

The only bad part of the movie was that talentless hack singing the songs.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 10:45 AM

i don't care what you all say, i am so pumped to see kimya live!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 10:48 AM

five alive would have been a much better pop-culture reference as prop.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 10:48 AM

I would fuck the Juno girl, Kimya and what's her face that wrote the thing. I LIKE FUCKING!

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 11:24 AM

^^^^spoken like a true desperate no sex getting nerd internet loser.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 1:02 PM

^^^^You have bruised my fragile no sex getting internet loser ego. Would you like to fuck?

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 3:50 PM

i would bang her with a stolen dick, that somehow attached near my dick so i could fuck her. no, not really. if she asked me to fuck i would do it in a heartbeat, i love michael cera.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2008 5:43 PM

Kimya Dawson is one of my favorite lyricists. Most of these posters don't seem to have a sense of humor to appreciate her wit.

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2008 4:27 PM

Kimya was completely awesome, the place was packed, and good feelings flowed. Great day at Southpaw.

Posted by nyctaper | January 13, 2008 10:01 PM

what are you criticizing the dialogue for? its quick and witty but it is by no means meant to be a real life situation. youre not meant to walk out of the theater saying "wow thats exactly what my highschool experience was like". its meant to be a social critique in a tangent world where superbad never existed, all track team members do is run, and jennifer garner is just a name in a person's head, instead of a celebrity. if we are going to compare this movie to real life, why dont we pull "world of the worlds" and "the others" into this conversation too?
comparing movie life to real life is like mixing oil and water. there are plenty of similarities between the two but they are never going to mix.

Posted by not telling | January 14, 2008 1:33 AM

Real life is free. Movies cost about $9.50. That said, Ellen Page is about as charming as flossing with barbed wire and anything that's come out of her mouth since "Hard Candy" is a cringeworthy paper cut. The only reason she was any good in "X-Men 3" was because half the time she was invisible.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | January 14, 2008 2:30 AM