Posted in music | music history on January 8, 2008

Bill Graham

Bill Graham died 16 years ago, but the legendary rock promoter's birthday is still cause for celebration in these parts.

For each of the past three years, Graham's old compadres have invited stars such as Carlos Santana, Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt to gather in San Francisco in January for a good time and a good cause.

"We have a dual purpose," says Danny Scher, a former vice president for Bill Graham Presents and current member of the Bill Graham Foundation's advisory board. "One is to give money away to organizations that probably couldn't get it otherwise. The other is to keep the spirit of Bill and awareness of Bill alive." [The Mercury News]

That story is about California. Here's what's going on in NYC....

Thursday Jan 10th at BB KIng's. "Return To The Fillmore East" With..... THE PRISONERS OF 2ND AVE Featuring: JIMMY VIVINO, RICH PAGANO + JOHN CONTE

Bill Graham Birthday Show!
-and-
A Jimmy Vivino Birthday Celebration!

With special guests and special friends ...

THE FAB FAUX
LEVON HELM
WILLIE NILE
AL KOOPER
WARREN HAYNES
PAUL SHAFFER
JOHN SEBASTIAN
DAVID JOHANSEN
HUBERT SUMLIN
ROBERT GORDON
CATHERINE RUSSELL
LARRY CAMPBELL

That's the info I received. Proceed at your own risk (aka I don't know for sure whether all those people will show up).

Levon Helm & Larry Campbell!

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2008 10:46 AM

The Bill Graham book Bill Graham Presents is fascinating.

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2008 11:18 AM

This show should be at Irving Plaza, not BB Kings.

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2008 11:51 AM

i know a dude who wears 2 watches too. what's up with that?

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2008 12:31 PM

a man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

- ancient Kurdu proverb

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2008 12:52 PM

one watch for each venue (East and West)

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2008 1:43 PM

Does anybody really know what time it is?

I don't

Does anybody really care?

If so I can't imagine why

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2008 9:38 PM

That guys all like "fuck you." lol!

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2008 9:39 PM

and i'm all like yea and what the f?

but seriously folks

Bill G. was the BrooklynVegan/Stereogum/BearDog Dude of his era.

If he were a blogger he'd be... Bill Graham!!!!

The "new Fillmore" should me named after him.

or me....but then it would be named "cool dude" and i think Bill deserves more credit

Posted by GOD | January 8, 2008 9:48 PM

God's drunk again. Heaven help us!

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2008 10:19 PM

someone at the Vegan needs to write a story about how Live Nation ruined NYCs premier rock club Irving Plaza. look at the upcoming shows. This sucks. The Commodores?
Dont forget about the "Blender" Theater. another winner.

Thank god for Bowery presents, Highline Ballroom the Annex, joes pub, The knit and all other NYC indie promoters.

I recommend a LN boycot until these venues are taken over by people who know what the hell they are doing.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2008 9:04 AM

Dont forget about the "Blender" Theater. another winner.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2008 9:07 AM

This is at BB Kings because they are creative enough to think of producing a show like this.

someone at the Vegan needs to write a story about how Live Nation ruined NYCs premier rock club Irving Plaza. How they are using the Fillmore name in vain.

look at the upcoming shows. This sucks. The Commodores?

Dont forget about the "Blender" Theater. another winner.

Thank god for Bowery presents, Highline Ballroom joes pub, The knit and all other NYC indie promoters.

Is Ron Delsner still in charge?

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2008 9:09 AM

No, this show was at B.B. King's because it was originally meant to be strictly a Prisoners of 2nd Avenue show.

Anyway, all the people listed above did show up, as did many others, including Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick) and Andy York (John Mellencamp's band).

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2008 9:07 AM

What a fantastic show! Really exceeded my expectations. I had a
blast. Here's the setlist. the main players are right, but I'm sure
I have some of these combos slightly off.
John Sebastion solo harmonica
And When I Die (Blood, Sweat and Tears) - Jimmy Vivino and JS
Tell The Truth (Derek and the Dominoes) Prisoners of Second Aveneue
(JV, John Conte, Rich Pagano)
See my Way (Blodwyn Pig) PO2A
Hard Rains Gonna Fall>In my Time of Dying Intro Jam (Dylan/Zep) PO2A
Shapes of Things (Yardbirds) PO2A with Steve Conte
White Rabbit
Somebody to Love (both Jefferson Airplane) both PO2A with Elaine
Caswell, SC, Jeff Kazee
Had to Cry Today (Blind Faith) PO2A with Warren Haynes, Danny Louis
Why does Love have to be so Sad? (Derek and the Dominoes) PO2A with
WH, DL
God Don't Never Change (Blind Willie Johnson) JV, Larry Campbell,
Theresa Anderson, Al Kooper, John Sebastian, Mike Merritt, Steve
Holley, Levon Helm (Levon stays and plays the second drum kit the
entire rest of the night)
Mess of Blues (Elvis)
I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone (Elvis) both PO2a with Paul
Shaffer, Robert Gordon
Hard Times in America (Willie Nile) PO2A with Willie Nile and Andy
York
I want You/She's so Heavy (Fab Four) Fab Faux
While my Guitar gently weeps (Fab Four with Eric Clapton) Fab Faux
with Paul Shaffer
I Love you more than you'll ever know (Blood, Sweat and Tears) JV,
Anton Fig, Mike Merritt (Paul and Al did a funny James Brown cape
bit at the end of this, Al being the one who kept putting the cape
on Paul's back, which he would cast off and keep singing)
Season of the Witch (Donovan) Rekooperators: JV, AK, AF, MM
Killling Yourself by Degrees(?) Rekooperators (for Mike Bloomfield's
brother in the audience)
Killing Floor (Howling Wolf)
300 lb of Joy (Howling Wolf) both David Johansen, Rick Neilson
(Cheap Trick), Hubert Sumlin, JC, MM, RP, Danny Louis, Little Sammy
Davis, PS
Wang Dang Doodle (Howlin Wolf)same, with Catherine Russell trading
lines with David Johansen
Bring it on home to me (Sam Cooke)JV, LC, TW, WH
I Shall Be Released (Dylan) everyone

First half of the show was red hot, and sharp with the theme of a
tribute to the Fillmore. Second a little less focuesed, and drifted
away a bit from that great theme, but still a ton of fun.

At the show I saw Kevin Bacon, Peter Reigert (Animal House,
Sopranos) and Jackie Martling.

I got to meet Levon after the show, and gave him a copy of the Drive-
by Truckers Dirty South cd, and told him to listen to Danko/Manuel.

Posted by Lloyd Ramberhose | January 11, 2008 11:10 AM

I was just 1 year old when Bill died, my parents knew him.

anyways you got a nice web site here !!
I am just 17 and a high school babe right now.
And I read your web stuffs,when I get a chance.
Keep up the good work, I love it AAAA++++ , I am going to tell all my friends about this site !!

Oh ya - I took in a concert to see the new rock,blues guitar sensation GW Williams in Hollywood a few weeks ago, and I must say it was incredible, GW Williams has so much energy in his music, everything from the singing to the guitar is first class.The way he works a crowd and plays the guitar must be seen to be believed. AWESOME is all I can say 2 thumbs up 100%.

Thanks Sandra LaBra

P.S. Here's GW Williams rock, blues Guitar site. - GW Williams Rock,Blues Guitar

Posted by Sandra | August 4, 2008 4:57 PM