Posted in music | venues on January 2, 2008

Sullivan Hall

Sullivan Hall is a 345 capacity music and event venue located in Greenwich Village in downtown Manhattan near the New York University community (214 Sullivan St.). We are big music fans who frequent shows and are friends with many musicians and artist representatives. We listened to what they had to say about the type of venue they’d like to see in New York City. We created an ideal venue for both performers and fans alike. We put a state of the art sound and lighting system, and the space has near perfect sight lines. Even on a sold out show, you will have an intimate experience with your favorite performers at Sullivan Hall.
Tea Leaf Green played the grand opening celebration last night. Other shows lined up at this newly-renovated jam-and-related band-friendly spot include Marco Benevento, Hassan Hakmoun, Lettuce, Ryan Montbleau Band, Dub Is A Weapon and Appetite For Destruction (the other GNR tribute band).

Wow, I had no idea this was happening. Not sure any of those bands will draw me there, but I'm curious to see how the venue turns out.

Posted by Steve | January 2, 2008 10:44 PM

Tea Leaf Green played last night...U-Melt opened for them. So the answer to the trivia question of "Which band played the first notes at a new venue that's basically an old venue with a floor wax?" is U-Melt.

And those Marco Benevento shows are gonna be fanf*ckingtastic.

Posted by Ace Cowboy | January 2, 2008 10:55 PM

"Tea Leaf Green played last night..."

thanks! I'm still all screwed up from taking a vacation. fixed.

Posted by brooklynvegan | January 2, 2008 10:57 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know... I've been to this place a lot and I just got back from a show there tonight. The place sucks and always has. It's depressing, cold, the music isn't usually very good, and the new lights that were mentioned are only good if you like being blinded for half the show. The people there with exceptions are pretty unfriendly and there is a guy in the bathroom who expects a tip every time you pee. That being said... the new sound equipment does sound ok... but it's not enough to make me ever want to go there.

Posted by Anonymous | January 2, 2008 11:00 PM

hey ace
which show for Marco Benevento out of the four
(month residency) would you recommend?

Posted by Anonymous | January 2, 2008 11:06 PM

"but it's not enough to make me ever want to go there."

"I've been to this place a lot"

which is it???

Posted by Anonymous | January 2, 2008 11:09 PM

speaking of Benevento, here's another one coming up....

Sat. 2/9
FREAKS BALL 2008
BUSTLE IN YOUR HEDGEROW feat. Joe Russo & Marco Benevento of Benevento/Russo Duo, Dave Dreiwitz of Ween, and Scott Metzger
the Bearded Ones
Tom Hamiltons American Babies
$25.00 adv./$25.00 d.o.s
8 pm doors/9 pm show
18+
@ Southpaw

Posted by brooklynvegan | January 2, 2008 11:12 PM

I have to say, it sucks that all the "DIVE" bars are going out of style. I know that sounds like a stupid thing to say, but I liked the broken down feel of the LION's DEN. I saw some really good bands start out there, and even saw some of my friends do some cool local gigs there too.

From the picture above, it reminds me of what Brownies once looked like.

Posted by JOE MAD | January 2, 2008 11:36 PM

Yeah, Lions Den days- bugged out hard when I tripped over the bathroom guy. What the fuck, the bathroom is like 2x2.

You can always escape nxt door to the Sullivan Room.

Posted by ahron | January 2, 2008 11:49 PM

"hey ace
which show for Marco Benevento out of the four
(month residency) would you recommend?"

Funny, there are actually five Thursdays this month -- I'd recommend all five, but I guess if you're looking for one, I'd be forced to pick the CD release party on 1/31 with Reed Mathis and Andrew Barr. But that show with Skerik, Billy Martin and Calvin Weston on 1/24 is also gonna be madness. Shit, and the 1/10 show with Joe Russo and Brad Barr is too. Damn. Go to more than one.

(Truly hate to be That Guy, but we're actually gonna be giving away tickets to these shows, including a multi-day pass, over on the Hidden Track blog -- so check on over there tomorrow midday.)

Posted by Ace Cowboy | January 2, 2008 11:50 PM

I'm going to 2 of the Benevento shows, and this venue is supposed to be very friendly to people like me ("tapers").

Posted by nyctaper | January 3, 2008 1:33 AM

"The place sucks and always has"

thanks for the review Beavis!

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2008 7:46 AM

I'm really looking forward to the Benevento residency. Last years run at Tonic was awesome!

The Freaks Ball is gonna rock too! I don't know much about The American Babies, but Bustle plays some of the best Zeppelin outside of Zeppelin themselves. There's no confirmation yet, but I suspect "The Bearded Ones" to be The Budos Band.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2008 8:59 AM

Whoever said this room sucks is out of their mind. Every buzz club on the Lower East Side sounds like shit and has maybe two lights on stage. I saw Tea Leaf Green the other night and felt like I was in a mini concert hall. I was very impressed.

Posted by jase | January 3, 2008 1:20 PM

NY and Brooklyn need another music venue like George Bush needs another term. Said it before, and I'LL SAY IT AGAIN: Didn't anyone learn anything from the early 90's in NY when coffee shops popped up with the same regularity only to fail m iserably soon after? or is this yet another decision from another rich moron who's lived here less than 5 years? THOSE WHO DO NOT REMEMBER THE PAST WILL BE CONDEMNED TO REPEAT IT.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2008 2:32 PM

This isn't a new club...it just used to be called "Lion's Den" They redid the inside a bit and stepped up the sound. The place feels like it should host weddings receptions though, not rock shows. It's brutal.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2008 2:45 PM

"This isn't a new club...it just used to be called "Lion's Den" "

Did you even bother reading the posting? Sheesh, did you even bother reading the title? Dumbass.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2008 3:07 PM

You're the Dumbass, did you even read the post that person was responding to? Are you kidding...whoever wrote that was correcting the misinformed comment of the person before. Since the heading of the thread is pretty clear.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2008 2:32 AM

Lewis and Clarke opens for Benevento on Thursday, super chill and beautiful stuff..cello...harp...beards....anyone?

Posted by lance | January 7, 2008 2:21 PM

all this complaining about needing a new club in the city or not...its NYC. Old places become new places all the time. Venues have been dropping like flies over the past year and half. At least its still a venue. And a great one at that. The sound is great and its not too small.

So far in the city or brooklyn, what is your favorite room to see bands? Mercury Lounge has some cool bands but its grungy and annoying when its crowded.
I dig Bowery and The Luna Lounge.

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2008 2:14 PM

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE venue, if you guys say you are trying to make the ideal venue, then I think you are off by 100%. Possibly one of the worst venues in NYC!!!

I went to see Marco and Stanton last night(was really excited about it) and had an AWFUL time!!!

What makes this venue ideal???

Is it the unfriendly staff, well I shouldn't say that...the female bartender working the front door side of the bar REALLY was a C--T. The other bartender with the short hair was nice...and the barmaid was great except when she would scream over the music adressing the crowd "DOES ANYONE NEED A DRINK???" good effort, but someone needs to explain to her that we are there for the music and please don't yell over it...

Or maybe the bouncer that constantly pushed his way through the crowded room often pushing you and standing right on top of you...how about one bouncer in front and one in the back and maybe walkie talkies would work...

Or maybe its the "State of the art" lighting system that constantly shines the bright light in the crowds faces...funny how the Marco picked up on how the light guy could not control the strobe light...

Or maybe the "State of the art" sound system...all I have to say is I was not impressed...

Or maybe its how the bathroom is situated back of the stage making for constant traffic from back to front to front to back in a tiny venue...

Or maybe its you have the "coat check" in the same bad spot as the bathroom = constant traffic

Or maybe its how you set up a merch table taking up allot of space in a small crowded venue...

Or maybe its the new TV's you have througout the venue especially behind the bar so people could see drummers like Stanton Moore who is truly a genius at the kit...Oh yeah, THERE ARE NO TV"S FOR PEOPLE IN THE BACK!!!!

Honestly I asked the the merch girl what has changed and all she could tell me is that it was cleaner...and thats all I saw as a difference...its a shame you have so many good shows coming up that I will prbably miss because I HATE THIS VENUE!!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 18, 2008 7:58 PM

Damn-Anonymous LOVES to complain.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2008 3:19 PM

Hmm... seems like we have reviews by someone who has some sort of personal agenda against the venue, and others by the owners of the venue... hehehehe..

I'm neither, let me tell you what I found when i went to the first and third Marco Shows...

I'm an audio engineer so i will say about the sound it's a prime example of people respecting a certain brand and going with that brand (Meyer in this case) but using entirely the wrong speakers for the task at hand, hence the sound gets washed out and thin sounding about halfway into the room. I thought the sound was better before, to be honest. The monitors are obviously way better though. It certainly seemed like Marco & co were enjoying themselves.

The place feels a little lost... I think any time changes are made it takes a little time for a venue's identity to solidify so I'll look past that. it's a very narrow room so it was always hard to get around when it gets really crowded in there...still is.
It seemed like a lot of people were there to talk and drink and be cool- not listen- but hey folks it is a BAR not a concert hall... a BAR with a stage where the act has to see all the commerce unfolding before them. I think to call it Sullivan Hall is the height of pretension- but other then that I don't think I am self righteous and holier then thou enough to run down what people have obviously put some effort into and nothing was so wrong that I didn't really get into the show on both occasions. Peg me as ignorant but I had never even heard of Marco Benevento before and now I'm a fan so IMO the venue is doing it's job.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2008 4:17 PM

the bouncers have to chill out in this venue....constantly walking thru the crowd will bring this "great" venue down. Chill the walking thru the crowd shit you big tough bouncers!!

Posted by kw | February 14, 2008 10:58 PM

One bouncer guy completely freaked out when he smelled pot smoke. I think they're going to have to let this guy know that with the kinds of bands they are booking, he better get used to the smell.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2008 11:29 PM

If there is one thing I hate more than over-zealous bouncers it is drug addicts. Can't you live without pot for a couple of hours?

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2008 11:36 PM

It wasn't me smoking, but really, someone who smokes some pot at a concert is a "drug addict"?

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2008 11:42 PM

"someone who smokes some pot at a concert is a "drug addict"?"

If you can't wait until you get home to get high, if you are putting yourself in a position where you might get thrown out of seeing a performer you like just to get high, then you are an addict.

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2008 10:20 AM

"If you can't wait until you get home to get high,"

its not about waiting, brother, its about getting high and listening to music, something which has been done for millenia. get with it.

sometimes i feel like the comments on here are all made by one person just to make it sound like anyone who comments on brooklynvegan is retarded.

Posted by slave | February 15, 2008 10:27 AM

that anonymous complainer has a good point, I especially hate the beer guy who pushes his way around the floor when it is fucking packed, back and forth jesus H christ, can't we even get a moments peace? Webster Hall is like that.

That being said, Knitting Factory is my favorite venue, they are getting more good shows and are pretty low key on all the bs mentioned in that long anonymous thing

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2008 10:29 AM

shut up dude...the masses would surely freak and sneak flasks if booze were no longer sold at any shows, yet i would not categorize the masses as "alcoholics"

everybody should have the right to pick their poison...we're all adults...self-righteous assholes like yourself just need to mind your own fucking business...why does what somebody else's personal choice bother you so much?

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2008 11:04 AM

hey hey now. aren't we in it for the music? it's sad how posts quickly turn ugly. i have never been to this place so i don't have an opinion of the venue but i can say that people will travel to the far ends of the earth just to see a performance no matter what the venue looks like or feels like - just so they can enjoy the MUSIC. that said, however, there are those who ruin the vibe for others (loud bartenders, ignorant bouncers, inept stage hands, etc.) also, smoking herbs during a show does not make somebody an addict. the cigarette smoker smokes waaaaaaay more than the herb smoker at show but we don't get in their face and say 'hey you fricken nicotine addict!!' we just say 'hey, please don't blow your smoke in my face.'

Posted by ean | March 4, 2008 2:34 PM

Im going to be placying here in June and Im really looking forward to it since my band is from MA. The post smopking isnt really and issue. I mean really, think about it would you rasther have some dude blowing cigarette smoke in your face or a nice herb??? its all abouit the music... fuck the bartenders and the bouncers. you all come out to have a good time and listen to some awesome music! Every venue you go to has its issues and its jsut the way things work. So if you want to have a good time come out and see the Matt Schwachman Band June 19th. Show some love!!! We are really looking forward to this show ! NYC is a muscicians dream ! And im looking forward to meeting a lot of great musicians and friends along the way!

Posted by Nick | March 20, 2008 11:23 AM

If "its all abouit the music", then why the need to smoke pot at the venue?

Posted by Devil's Advocate | March 20, 2008 11:35 AM

to some person who mentioned the beer guy pushing his way through the crowd, spot on observation. Fucking beer guy at webster hall has ruined many shows that way for me. Every five fucking minutes he has to push through? That basically ruined a Menomena show for us last year.

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2008 12:23 PM

April Smith is playing a special 18+ show at Sullivan Hall on April 10th. www.myspace.com/sullivanhall

i love her. you should all go!

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2008 3:50 PM

"If "its all about the music", then why the need to smoke pot at the venue?"

Because it pleases us to do so!

Listen- if you have an issue with people smoking herb whilst listening to music- i want you to go home, get every album you can find that's any good at all and throw it in the toilet 'cause the people who made it were high as hell when they did it.

Posted by Bill | May 6, 2008 7:37 PM

this is a very chill venue, the best in nyc in fact. in need of new bouncers though, which might happen if people keep complaining. great sound, nice comfortable dive feel. very unique and awesome bands.

Posted by brooklander | February 17, 2009 11:22 AM