Posted in movies | music on January 2, 2008

The Killing of John Lennon

"The Killing of John Lennon," which took a Special Jury Prize at the 2007 Tribeca Film Festival and was picked up for American distribution by IFC films, opens at the IFC Center on Wednesday. "All Chapman's words are his own," declares a preliminary title in Mr. Piddington's film. Extensive first-person narration by Mr. Bell as Chapman (the actor's prior credits are, not surprisingly, mostly confined to voice-over work) is apparently culled from Chapman's own journals. But the Beatle-killer's feature-length monologue is itself peppered with quotes from "Taxi Driver," "Apocalypse Now," and, of course, J.D. Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye." It would appear that Chapman's head was not exactly buzzing with original ideas. [NY Sun]
Trailer below....

This looks really interesting. I once met a guy who claimed to own the copy of "Catcher in the Rye" that Chapman had the day he killed Lennon, but that guy also lived in a basement apartment in rural New Jersey and collected pigeons, so, maybe he was Holden Caufield, too, you know?

Posted by Anonymous | January 2, 2008 2:52 PM

creepy

Posted by Anonymous | January 2, 2008 2:54 PM

as a tremendous fan of john lennon, and his work, i am both enthralled by this movie, and revolted...help...to see it or not to see it?

Posted by steph | January 2, 2008 2:59 PM

2:59pm "help....to see it or not to see it?"

Hmmm....Help is probably the Beatles worst film. It involves a kitchy storyline involving a wild search for Ringo's lost ring. I wouldn't recommend watching it.

Posted by Anonymous | January 2, 2008 3:49 PM

Where's Jared Leto?

Posted by claire | January 2, 2008 3:54 PM

Steph...

Do not support this movie. I love John Lennon, and I could personaly care less to know even one thing or to give any attention or debate to the crazy SOB who killed him. Just my feeling. Chapman is a nut job, in the clinical sense, so I will not look for insight or meaning or answers within his own words or this film.

Posted by Anonymous | January 2, 2008 7:31 PM

Posted by Anonymous | January 2, 2008 7:36 PM

As I recall, Yoko Ono hoped that MDC would not get his wish to "become famous" for killing Lennon and asked people not to support Chapter 27, that stupid Leto/Lohan mess that should also be coming out this year. Frankly, I don't want to know anything about this guy... and I'd like to honor the deceased. Definitely NOT seeing this movie.

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2008 5:28 AM

Per 3:49 -

HELP is easily the best Beatles film. I must have watched that about 200 times when I was 6 years old.

Posted by Dylan | January 3, 2008 10:42 AM

i think it's worth a look. the story has fascinated me for years and though it is disturbing, it did happen. i'd like to see the interpretation of this moment in history, no matter how vile.

Posted by Anonymous | January 4, 2008 2:48 AM

hehehehe.
i was asking for advice (help) regarding this new flick, not the actual HELP movie. but thanks anyways.

7:31 and 5:28 - i agree with you(s). MDC was/is merely a nutbag, nothing more. his ramblings will certainly not offer me, or any other lennon-adorer any "peace of mind." ;) i will NOT support this film. thanks.

to each his own, right?

Posted by steph | January 4, 2008 10:45 AM

Whatever. Shit like this is what Chapman wants.

Posted by Ashley | January 4, 2008 1:50 PM