Posted in music | pictures on February 26, 2008

====> SATURDAY 2/23 @ MARKET HOTEL <====

:: BLACK DICE
:::: the Skaters
:::::: IUD ----> mem Gang Gang Dance

:: dj Gibby Haynes ----------> from Butthole Surfers
:: dj Genesis P-Orridge -----> from Throbbing Gristle / Psychic TV

Gibby also recently played Highline Ballroom. Genesis recently announced a Lady Jaye Memorial that will take place on March 8th. More photos from Saturday night's show below....

Black Dice @ Market Hotel

IUD....

Black Dice @ Market Hotel

Black Dice....

Black Dice @ Market Hotel

Black Dice @ Market Hotel

Black Dice @ Market Hotel

Black Dice @ Market Hotel

Black Dice @ Market Hotel

that first photo seems to be black dice, not IUD

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 9:36 AM

fixed

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 10:10 AM

IUD and Skaters both played on the floor. I was probably fourth row back or so for the former and couldn't see shit. Kind of obnoxious, especially since it creates a steady stream of assholes trying to push their way to the front.

Black Dice played a great (on-stage) set, though, and all was forgiven.

Posted by feedbacker | February 26, 2008 12:16 PM

wait for it... wait for it...

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:28 PM

actually skaters played on the stage, but you probly couldnt see em either way as they were hunched over their equipment the whole time. the show was really spectacular, although i think that the market hotel is totally wicked dangerous.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:30 PM

Ah, ok. I was pretty far back during Skaters and just assumed they were on the floor.

Market Hotel would be competely fucked in case of a fire.

Posted by feedbacker | February 26, 2008 12:45 PM

oh god, not this again...

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:53 PM

hey guys did you read this? http://www.merryswankster.com/archives/2008/02/no_age_high_pla.html

review of last weeks No Age show. I think he was a little harsh about the moshing. Obviously he never went to Korn or Slayer show.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:57 PM

I said wait for it and there it is!

fire crazy dude is back!!!

hooray!!!

the space has a whole 'nother entrance/exit that you're too dense to notice - it's right next to where the coat check and beverage stand is. It's a big, wide grand ol' staircase and would perform very well in the case of a fire.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:19 PM

I read that blog. that merry swankster guy thinks the MH only holds only 120 people comfortably.

the No Age show wasn't even close to packed and there had to be like 300 there!

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:21 PM

I have to say that was a great review of Skint by that blogger guy. I don't know why he didnt dig it, it sounds fucking fantastic, I wish I was there to see it.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:27 PM

based on 2 shows, I nominate Market Hotel for venue of the year for next years Plug Awards.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:29 PM

For the record, I'm not the one who started all the fire safety shit in the other threads. This is the first time I've posted concerning Market Hotel or any other venues Todd P books shows for. I did actually notice the roped off stairway the other night, but I forgot about it. Sue me.

I wasn't bitching about the venue, either. Saturday was my first time there, and I doubt it will be the last. Good space with better than expected sound. Hell, I'm probably going back twice this weekend. Don't lump me in with the Todd P/M

Posted by feedbacker | February 26, 2008 1:36 PM

cut off

end of post should read "...don't lump me in with the Todd P/Market Hotel/Silent Barn/Death by Audio haters, because I have no problems with the venues or the shows they put on."

Posted by feedbacker | February 26, 2008 1:39 PM

1977: Hilly Kristal and CB-GB
2007: Todd P and Market Hotel

Stick it to the man, make this happen.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:42 PM

the Market Hotel used to be a legit club years ago. it has the safety accouterments a real club would have, sans maybe sprinklers. not every club has those anyway. a handful of people are weirded out for two reasons.

firstly a lot of the safety comments and other complaints are bullshit attempts to convince you not to check the scene out for yourself, posted by rivals who feel threatened that there's a new spot that might steal shows and crowds away from their stuff.

secondly a much smaller number of these comments are a predictable reaction because it's a bigger place having bigger shows than Silent Barn or Death By Audio would have, so it gets people who aren't used to underground places. The quality of turned-on-edness goes down inversely to the number of people who come out.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 2:14 PM

much much mucgh safer than The 3rd Ward or The Chicken Hut or Rubulad or similar illegal places

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 2:16 PM

everybody dance now.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 2:23 PM

has anyone who isnt claiming hazard at market hotel actually seen a show there? 800 sweaty hipsters packed so tight that the smallest fire would spark a mass frenzy. oh, and todd p should invest in some ventilation, at least a fucking desk fan.

that being said, these shows are the best thing happening in brooklyn right now. cant someone be concerned AND love the music?

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 2:29 PM

800 kids? not even. There weren't half that many in there Saturday night.

also, the show was declared sold out early on, when it was far less packed in and crowded than Webster or Studio B or Europa or Glasslands routinely get.

Todd P even went on the mic and counseled people that the show was sold out and so folks should text their friends as much so they wouldn't waste the train ride coming out. They could be a lot greedier there, as many other places often are.

The triangular shape of the space is misleading, makes you think the width of the crowd at the back is how wide it is at the front, but actually it tapers to just the width of the stage at the front. That's also why it sounds so good in there.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 2:39 PM

is anyone claiming fire hazards actually for real? Seems obvious these comments are not sincere. every time it comes up they steep their story in so many lies (for instance, "800 hundred people" and "there's only one exit" bullshit!) that they make their concerns obviously completely untrue and manipulative.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 2:44 PM

"a lot of the safety comments and other complaints are bullshit attempts to convince you not to check the scene out for yourself, posted by rivals who feel threatened that there's a new spot that might steal shows and crowds away from their stuff."

exactly

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 2:47 PM

you dudes are paranoid

nobody cares about fire hazards

nobody is trying to attack your coveted scene

if anything, people are only trying to get a rise of of the hipster sentinels who defend prince todd p

successfully

people 1
hipster sentinels 0

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 2:50 PM

I disagree. I think this shit should be countered.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 2:56 PM

everybody dance NOW.

Posted by G.O.B. | February 26, 2008 2:57 PM

The place definitely can't hold 800 people, but 400 seems low, even with the triangular shape of the building. Does anybody have some sort of "official" capacity number? Like, do they count heads at the door, or do they just declare it a sellout after the room looks full?

Posted by feedbacker | February 26, 2008 2:59 PM

the 2nd one.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 3:02 PM

yeah but what if some people leave? then more people should be able to come in.

Also, so what would you say would be a good time to show up, around posted start time? (in case you wanted to be sure of getting in)

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 3:09 PM

haha, hipster sentinels.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 3:12 PM

also, guys you just have to relax, lot of people post just to get a reaction out of you. you haven't lived until you've been flamed on Brooklyn Vegan, as they say (sorry for the pun).

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 3:12 PM

they dont let anyone in before the posted time, usually 9:30, and even though they always say they will start on time, they always start late.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 8:36 PM

those bastards!

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 9:02 PM

the horror!

how can this abomination be allowed to torment us good people of Brooklyn? When will our children be free from the Market Hotel's tortuous ways???

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 9:25 PM

someone set me on fire at the Market Hotel (i think his name was Todd) and no one pointed me to the exit.

also, there were 2340983402398432098234 people there. i counted them all with a clicker.

Posted by Cradge Mackerfraller | February 27, 2008 12:26 AM

i liked it when the person smashed the light that was on during black dice.

Posted by annie momus | February 29, 2008 1:21 PM

yea why did the light turn on? that was a little lame for me. I assumed it meant the cops were there or something like that. I guess I was standing in front of the light so I didn't see the girl smash it but i wish i did! That's great!

Posted by Anonymous | February 29, 2008 6:59 PM

Are the fact that the So So Glos live there.

Posted by best thing about MH | March 5, 2008 2:28 PM