Posted in music | pictures | video on February 25, 2008

Bon Iver @ Bowery Ballroom, NY, NY - Feb 22, 2008 (Jason Bergman)
Bon Iver @ Bowery Ballroom

Bon Iver @ Glasslands Gallery, Brooklyn, NY - Feb 23, 2008 (Tod Seelie)
Bon Iver @ Glasslands

Bon Iver just played 3 NYC shows. Black Mountain headlined two of them. BV mostly-metal contributor Black Bubblegum was at the Bowery show. Here's what he had to say...

I came there for Black Mountain... I can't lie. They were fantastic. Stephen McBean's guitar tone brought to mind Tony Iommi and Amber Webber did her best Grace Slick. They killed and so does "In The Future".

What surprised me was the stunning power of Bon Iver! Every ounce of greatness that "For Emma...." evokes was matched on the Bowery stage. The disheveled Justin Vernon had the ladies swaying and singing quietly, some holding cameras up to capture the whole set on video (links to those?). Vernon and his bandmates du jour were dead on. "The Wolves (Act I and II)" was easily the highlight, with a Mogwai-like crescendo as the crowd built upon the "what might have been lost" chorus. I have the digital version of "For Emma..." but I decided that I needed the vinyl.

NYC Taper recorded the Glasslands show. Check out some recent non-NYC Bon Iver videos below.....

Bon Iver - "Skinny Love" in store @ the Electric Fetus

Bon Iver -- Lump Sum in the studios of 893 The Current

sound fix was amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | February 25, 2008 3:31 PM

i was definitely more impressed with bon iver's set than black mountains.

Posted by jason | February 25, 2008 3:34 PM

soundfix was definitely a very special show. anybody have a link to the spanish radio bits?

Posted by nbomb | February 25, 2008 3:38 PM

I thought Black Mountain's set at the Bowery was really calculated and measured, and not necessarily in a good way. Although they did let loose on druggernaut, all in all it was not really what I was expecting from them . . . The reminded me more of the F-in Champs than a band like Can . . . More willing to rely on their timing than on their intuition . . . It was weird, usually I like bands that are super tight but in this case, I kinda thought it took away from their sound . . .

Bon Iver, on the other hand, totally let it all hang out and it sounded way better live than the already gorgeous and atmospheric "For Emma . . "

Posted by GRG | February 25, 2008 5:16 PM

soundfix was pure and utter magic. it was the best show i've seen in years. period. i will forever and always remember it. it brought tears to my eyes. transcendent and unforgettable.

Posted by Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:27 AM

Indeed, being at Sound Fix was pretty special. The Spanish music leaking in was hilarious despite the distraction it caused. They made the best of it – otherwise would they have played in the middle of the audience?

Posted by Liz | February 27, 2008 11:07 PM