Posted in music on February 9, 2008

by BrooklynVegan Mike

DOWNLOAD: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Rockets Fall On Rockets Fall (MP3)

Efrim from GodspeedWait no longer for another Godspeed record, as it was announced on February 08th that the Montreal post-rockers have split. Citing various reasons, including inter-band tension and the Iraq War, Efrim Menuck reveals in an upcoming interview on Drowned In Sound, that "on a personal level, I now find [Godspeed You! Black Emperor] to be inappropriate." While there has certainly been no talk of them reforming for some time (they have been on indefinate hiatus since 2003), many people (myself included) had always held out for future releases. It's a question Efrim gets asked constantly and evidently he chose this interview to put the matter to rest.

Credited with being part of the second wave of post-rock. the group was influential in a number of ways. A couple years ago when Montreal was the "New Seattle," the BBC did a documentary on the scene and specifically, The Arcade Fire. And many of the people (including Regine from the Arcade Fire and Arlen from Wolf Parade) interviewed cite the group as a major reason why there is a scene at all. They will be missed.

Godspeed You Black Emperor - The Dead Flag Blues

Godspeed You Black Emperor - Flight (Storm)

Godspeed You Black Emperor - Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls

je me souviens.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2008 3:50 PM

Sorry to hear them go, this band has meant so much to me in my life, as I'm sure it has to countless others. They will be missed, but then there is no reason to curse such an end if that is how it must be.

Oi...

JC

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2008 5:25 PM

a beautiful band

they will be sorely missed

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2008 6:19 PM

don't worry, this band will live on in the soundtracks of "epic" student films for years to come... (unfortunately)

Posted by BJ | February 9, 2008 8:25 PM

Hahaha BJ...so true.

Posted by Renee | February 10, 2008 12:39 AM

ed vedder disproves. his brain is too small to acknowledge this as being good music.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2008 1:59 AM

I wish I had seen them when I had the chance....

maybe it's too melodramatic for current taste but their music gives me chills every time I listen to it.

there's a void to be filled.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2008 3:58 AM

great band indeed. that's about all you hipster shits and i have in common.

Posted by liverthangod | February 10, 2008 5:19 AM

"I wish I had seen them when I had the chance...."

Don't worry, they weren't great live. They played in complete darkness so you couldn't see anything. Their video backdrops were nothing spectacular. Love their music, but their live show I could live without.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2008 1:50 PM

Listen to Horses in the Sky by A Silver Mt. Zion....efrim is obviously creating at just as high if not a higher level....

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2008 5:15 PM

A friend tried to turn me on to GYBE a few years ago, but frankly, I just don't get it. It all sounds too melodramatic and contrived to me. As for being credited with turning Montreal into the "next Seattle"? Yawn. Even Seattle has moved on from being Seattle.

Posted by Dave | February 10, 2008 5:41 PM

Not great live? They were one of the best bans I've ever seen! When I saw them, they played one song that was in multiple sections and 45 minutes long. The set was only 6 songs! I found the videos completely beautiful and mesmerizing (I remember birds swarming in a circle in b&w in particular) and the whole show was very affecting. I rank it up there with Portishead and Kraftwerk and Radiohead as one of my favorites. Missed them on their last tour because of a super fast sell out in Philly and I'm so disappointed I won't see them again. I think they're really special.

Posted by trrricky | February 11, 2008 12:31 AM

I second trrricky's emotion on GYBE live show. They completely blew me away. Their was no stage show, but the videos were breath-taking. And even without the videos, I was happy just to stand there with my eyes closed, letting the waves of sound wash over me.

I hope I won't be disappointed when I get around to checking out A Silver Mt. Zion.

Posted by Eggs1234 | February 11, 2008 9:06 AM

This is total rehash of a misinterpretation of a quote made by Efrim in an interview with DiS. You guys have taken your info from second hand reports of THAT article. Lazy, crappy journalism that misrepresents the band totally. This has been so widely misreported that Efrim has asked for a followup.

Posted by Allison | February 14, 2008 10:37 AM

if i could only listen to one band for the rest of my life it would be godspeed...

Posted by tc | February 20, 2008 9:33 PM

hey they didnt spilt efrim said it was a miss quote in a new interview here is the link

Posted by m | April 30, 2008 9:27 PM

Hopefully give them a year or two and they will have something new to say like RATM. Fingers crossed we will see them again.

Posted by Summer | June 23, 2009 8:10 AM

Posted by play free 3d games | July 21, 2010 2:41 PM

Islam is a religion of peace

Posted by منتديات | February 23, 2011 1:03 PM