Posted in TV | comedy | movies | music on February 21, 2008

Seth Meyers on strike - November 5, 2007 (CRED)
SNL on Strike

He (Lorne Michaels) is wary about what is going to happen this weekend when this venerable sketch show returns after more than three months. So for Saturday's return he has enlisted Tina Fey, an "SNL" alum, and the country singer Carrie Underwood............Mr. Michaels said that even with her familiarity with the show, he picked Ms. Fey as host because "it was just the right time for her." He noted that she had won a Golden Globe, a Screen Actors Guild award and a Producers Guild award in recent months, "all in stealth fashion." Next week's host is Ellen Page, star of the Oscar-nominated film "Juno." After that things get murky until May when Shia LeBoeuf and Steve Carell are committed, largely because both have films ("Indiana Jones" for Mr. LeBoeuf and "Get Smart" for Mr. Carell) opening this spring. [NY Times]
Then Sunday night is the Oscars where it will be a battle between "No Country For Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood", though according to the Guardian..
If the general public had any say in the matter, this year's best picture Oscar would go to Juno rather than joint favourites There Will be Blood and No Country For Old Men. For good measure, 20-year-old Ellen Page would scoop the best actress award while Johnny Depp would be named best actor for his turn in Sweeney Todd. Each is considered a long shot, at best, to win an Oscar this Sunday.

No Country For Old Men will probably win best picture, but I would love to see Juno take the award.

Posted by Dan | February 21, 2008 9:53 AM

I don't think I could be friends with anyone who adores Juno. I really don't.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 10:12 AM

^I have to agree. If you love this movie and/or think it deserves any oscars, you seriously need to get a clue.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 10:17 AM

Juno is a good movie, but best picture good? No way. It shouldn't even be nominated.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 10:22 AM

ditto that. juno is the most pretentious bullshit best picture nominee since "crash," and we all know how that turned out. oh shit...

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 10:22 AM

If Juno beats No Country or (especially) There Will Be Blood I'll fucking kill myself.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 10:23 AM

Juno and Michael Clayton were good, no country and atonement were great, however There Will Be Blood was a classic. That is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 11:01 AM

^Really? You need to get out more. I mean, it's a good, even great movie, and probably will be remembered for a long time. But one of the best? I like my movies with a connecting narrative so that when I leave I feel that I've been told a complete story, not a bunch of well shot and well acted scenes placed side by side.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 11:27 AM

TWBB and NCFOM both had the shittiest endings. Juno was good but was pretentious and a bit lame. I'm gunning for ATONEMENT

Posted by Fish | February 21, 2008 11:33 AM

I must say that Shia LeBoeuf was awful the first time around...I can't believe SNL is having him back...ugh.

Posted by jim | February 21, 2008 11:54 AM

Come on - that Dear Sister Digital Short they did w/ LeBoeuf was great. Agreed that the rest of the show wasn't even close to decent though...

Posted by Eric | February 21, 2008 12:13 PM

People who keep bitching about the ending of NCFOM should just stick to National Treasure and Road Hogs.

The 3 reasons why JUNO should not even be considered for an Oscar:

1) Oh
2) My
3) Blog

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 12:19 PM

I am outraged that In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale was snubbed by the industry.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 12:57 PM

And another entry that was robbed: Dragon Wars!

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 12:58 PM

What, are you implying that people don't actually say "honest to blog"?

I think this is exactly the reason Juno feels so pretentious. The screenwriter projected her tastes and manner of speaking as a 20-something onto a sixteen-year-old. Some of the acting was solid, but a lot of Ellen Page's lines just rang really false.

Posted by overthinking | February 21, 2008 1:11 PM

I don't care what the age. Whether it's a 5 year old tot, a 25 year old co-worker, or my own 55 year old mother, if someone ever said "What the Blog" to me, I would probably beat them mercilessly with their hamburger phone.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 1:36 PM

First, No Country was great and if you can't deal without an ending where the bad guy dies and everyone lives happily ever after, then Im sorry.

And for anyone, in the industry or not, nominating JUNO, which put politely, plays off of the stereotype of confused, alterna teens don't have to be liked by all to be loved, then why was something like Thirteen nominated. JUNO is drivel and Cody better clean up her chops before she puts out another pile of crap. And the fact that Reitman is nominated for director, when it was a simple run of the mill teen/family dramaedy is even more infuriating. JUNO will get its MTV award in June.We get it Hollywood..you are hip..not get back to rewarding fine films. THANK YOU!

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 4:12 PM

^How bout an ending where the protaginist you, as an audience member, have been following the entire film is killed off and then the movie continues for 20 more minutes?

Look, I liked the movie a lot, and I do think it's great, but I can understand people being upset about the ending. And I think many of these concerns are with the narrative and not because "the bad guy (didn't) die and everyone (didn't) live happily ever after."

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 5:19 PM

i am way more offended by Atonement being nominated than i am by Juno. what is there that is Oscar-worthy about Atonement?

HOLY SHIT THEY HAD A FIVE MINUTE TRACKING SHOT

big fucking deal.

also, if i already didn't want to have sex with keira knightley, i definitely don't now after watching that sex scene.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 5:37 PM

I still want to have sex with Keira Knightley. Sure, she has no boobs but she still has a vagina. And I think Shia LeBoeuf's career will be so short that I'm not going to bother learning the correct pronunciation of his last name.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 8:12 PM

juno was a good movie, but it shouldn't be anywhere near there will be blood-no country for old men-michael clayton. i never saw the other film(s) nominated but NOOOOO! and CRASH was HORRIBLE! NO SHIT RACISM STILL EXIST! DID WE NEED A MOVIE WITH SANDRA BULLOCK AND BRENDON FRASER TO TELL US?!

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 11:19 PM

hopefully the oscars won't be a redux of the juno spirit awards...uh, i mean the independent spirit awards. best feature? best lead actress? kimya dawson? a juno skit with jason bateman and rainn wilson? numerous shots of jason reitman? juno = hot garbage.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2008 7:21 PM

VOTE MCCAIN!

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2008 7:42 PM

atonement was a pile of steaming predictable shit. Same shit as English patient. You can't have sex against a bookcase. Ridiculous crap.

Just as much gore in those WWII hospital scenes as there are in the other films. Saying that you won't watch NCFOM or TWBB because of the violence is not a viable excuse if you saw atonement.

Posted by Anonymous | February 24, 2008 10:55 PM

I received 1 st credit loans when I was 32 and this helped me a lot. However, I need the credit loan once more time.

Posted by THORNTONDEE27 | March 22, 2010 5:33 PM

Writing firms work 24/7 and guys can buy coursework without problems.

Posted by coursework help | October 7, 2010 12:58 AM