Posted in music | tour dates on February 21, 2008

Mar 6 - Town Hall Seattle Seattle, Washington
Mar 7 - Town Hall Seattle Seattle, Washington
Mar 14 - Old Town School of Folk Music Chicago, Illinois
Mar 15 - Old Town School of Folk Music Chicago, Illinois
Mar 16 - Old Town School of Folk Music Chicago, Illinois
Mar 16 - Old Town School of Folk Music Chicago, Illinois

I didn't know Music Snobbery was in the Magnetic Fields.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 3:53 PM

Can't wait for the show tonight. Does anybody know the set times. I know he has an opening act. It is some sort of live radio show.

Have anyone seen any of the Magnetic Fields other shows. Do they know how the shows go?

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 3:55 PM

i heard mag fields goes on at 8:45 but im not 100% sure i trust that source.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 3:56 PM

Valentines delight with Magnetic Fields

The Somerville Theatre is not your typical alternative concert venue. But then, the Magnetic Fields are anything but typical. I took my seat (at an altitude that makes the stage swirl) in the cramped balcony and awkwardly positioned myself for a long wait. The seats filled up with hipsters, and I was seated next to a 30-something couple that seemed out of place. I knew I was in for a fun evening when the gentleman explained to his wife and I, "See, all the cheap seats fill up with cool people. I bet all of these 'kids' despise Clay Aiken and his lot." An odd choice, but right you are, sir.

Valentine's Day in Boston provided the perfect backdrop for lead singer/songwriter Stephen Merritt's lovelorn lyrics. He and pianist/vocalist/manager Claudia Gonson organized the Magnetic Fields here with Sam Davol and John Woo, and played their first live show at T.T. the Bear's Place in Cambridge. Hometown show expectations were lofty, but the bar-raising three-disc set 69 Love Songs, exploring every aspect of love with every musical genre, met and surpassed all of them. Inter band chit-chat poked fun at relationships, but illuminated the ethereal humor and dreary reality woven into songs like "Zombie Boy" and "Epitaph for my Heart."

The Magnetic Fields' most recent release, Distortion, has been criticized as overly influenced by Merritt's first project, The Jesus and Mary Chain. Each song is flooded with feedback and grainy undercurrents. After hearing the unplugged versions of "California Girls" and "Too Drunk to Dream," they could stand to lose this layer of background fuzz.

It is safe to say someone spiked the Davis Square water supply with quirky charm for Feb. 14. The audience was a mix of seasoned hipsters, high school dates, and 20-somethings. Many people were distracted as Merritt threw his hands up to plug his ears after a tune, or rushed off stage for intermission and after the final curtain; his ears are extremely sensitive and cannot handle the wild applause, laughter, and hooting that followed each song. The set list also featured songs by Fields off-shoots, the Gothic Archies and The 6ths. Blending all of their different bands, themes, styles, and albums, the Magnetic Fields produced a show pattern as intricate as love itself. A-

Posted by Dan McGillivray - Boston College | February 21, 2008 4:01 PM

Fuck this band. That guy with the ukulele is old and fat.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 4:06 PM

ha, ha Anon 4:06 is a loser posting on a blog while the fat guy with a uke is selling out shows. sometimes the universe is just.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 4:10 PM

I need a ticket for Sunday's show. Please.

Posted by Eduardo | February 21, 2008 4:11 PM

What time are Stephen Merritt and Beth Ditto dueting their version of Zip-a-dee-doo-dah?

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 4:12 PM

anyone know if there is an opening act?

Posted by dj dribble | February 21, 2008 4:12 PM

"The Magnetic Fields' most recent release, Distortion, has been criticized as overly influenced by Merritt's first project, The Jesus and Mary Chain."

HAHAHAHA! So much for fact checking.

Posted by Stephin Merritt Reid | February 21, 2008 4:14 PM

town hall usually has some awesome orchestra seats at the box office, the day of the show.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 4:17 PM

I wonder if Scarlett Johannson will be singing a song with Stephen tonight like she did at Coachella.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 4:21 PM

march 12 they play austin, tx

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 4:42 PM

I went to their Carnegie Hall show years ago. It was very simple but great. There is a lot of interaction with the crowd and they did play some old stuff.
I got tickets for tomorrow, hope this fucking storm doesn't spoil my trip

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 4:54 PM

box office says 845 mag fields...

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 4:59 PM

i also need a ticket for sunday. pleeeeease help!

Posted by bobby the rookie | February 21, 2008 5:02 PM

asshole fucking jamc ripoff

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2008 5:37 PM

i thought mike huckabee played bass.

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2008 12:28 AM

Stephin Merritt is super cute in this picture! I always thought he was a homely little skinny thing. All that talent AND he's adorable!

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2008 12:55 AM

my friend is a fan and brought me. I'm sorry but a couple of the songs were just horrible, the songs about the the abandoned castle of my soul, uggghhhh. High points were Yeah oh Yeah and Too Drunk to Dream. Three Way was pretty bad acoustic I thought.

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2008 1:09 AM

^^their soul resembles an abandoned castle^^

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2008 1:22 AM

i always felt you either loved or hated this band and i was sort of like a casual fan.

saw the show last night and thought it was pretty great. seems like the song selection was from many albums.

sitting down, 5th row...totally nice view, totally comfortable, and the band sounded great.

not bad for free tix.

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2008 9:05 AM

What time did they go on last night?

Posted by Dan McKinley | February 22, 2008 10:31 AM

they went on at 8:45. it was positively delightful. they didn't play much from albums before "I."

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2008 10:46 AM

Stephen Merritt was never in The Jesus & Mary Chain.

Posted by DNY | February 22, 2008 10:47 AM

has anyone ever had loge seats at town hall? are they decent?

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2008 11:22 AM

it's a tiny place. every seat is at least decent.

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2008 11:38 AM

anyone have a setlist?

Posted by 100,000 Fireflies | February 22, 2008 1:22 PM

loge seats are awesome

Posted by anonymous | February 22, 2008 1:25 PM

i'm a pretty big magnetic fields fan but i thought tonight kinda sucked.

Posted by Anonymous | February 22, 2008 11:48 PM

^i agree. i was completely bored the first night. the opening act was more riveting.

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2008 12:04 AM

anyone have setlists or know a site that posts MF setlists?

I was thrilled they played "Take Ecstasy With Me" tonight. Claudia indicated they will be playing several different songs tomorrow night.

Posted by anonymous | February 23, 2008 2:36 AM

How long do they play for?

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2008 3:47 AM

About 2 hours including a 15-minute set break.

Posted by anonymous | February 23, 2008 11:22 AM

Zombie Boy
------------
Three Way
Take Ecstasy With Me
The Book of Love

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2008 1:35 PM

I saw the Friday night show and it was absolutely beautiful. One of the best shows I've seen in a long time. I'm a fairly big MF fan but I was just stunned at how graceful and charming their acoustic show was. I can't imagine how anyone could have left that show with their feet on the ground. I went straight home and bought tickets for Saturday night's too. I got 5th row center from Ticketmaster at 1am last night, if anyone is still looking.

Posted by Modano | February 23, 2008 2:41 PM

I went to Thursday and Friday. I'd say Thursday took the cake, but Papa was a Rodeo and Smoke and Mirrors were sexy additions to Fridays set. Anyone have a Thursday setlist? Yeah, oh yeah!

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2008 3:20 PM