Posted in music | tour dates on March 1, 2008

Obama has a Posse

Win Butler, Will Butler, Regine Chassagne and Jeremy Gara of the Arcade Fire will be playing a free concert on Sunday, March 2nd at Stuart's Opera House in Nelsonville, Ohio in support of Barack Obama's bid for the Democratic nomination. The show is at 7 p.m., first come first serve.

They will also be playing a free show at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland on Monday, March 3rd. Doors are at 7 p.m., and the show is 18 and over, first come first serve.

Though the Arcade Fire is known as a Canadian band, Win and Will were born and raised in the U.S. (and spent their formative years in Texas), Regine is a dual citizen whose dad served in Vietnam, and Jeremy Gara is just a really nice Canadian who likes playing music and is sick of explaining to Americans what universal health care means.

This is not the first time Arcade Fire has made their choice of candidate known.

Will.i.am also came out with another video for Obama. That and one by the Arcade Fire below...

David Bowie & The Arcade Fire - Wake Up

This is pathetic.

Think I'd rather go to the next benefit for a free health clinic, because I know that with a President Obama, I can look forward to more years without health coverage. (And if by some strange chance I manage to get a job with good benefits in this doomed economy, well there are 15 million other people who can look forward to being uninsured - and lots of children whose parents will be fined for taking them to the emergency room.)

Think I'd rather go to the Patti and Ralph show - at least you might hear some issues talked about there.

Or a Chumbawamba show or CRASS reunion... To remind us how much change voting really brings.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 3:08 AM

^^talks politics by repeating verbatim what hillary said in the debates^^

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 3:17 AM

Hi, I'm the first poster there. Comment about the emergency room was based on transcript of what Obama said. I read the transcript of what he said after seeing a news report on it. I don't care much what Hillary says in the debates (unless I find out that she said something surprising for her - hasn't happened yet).

I don't know if she said anything about the 15 million uninsured... That figure came from somewhere else in the news. Whatever the figure, Obama isn't going to do a thing for so many people when it comes to health coverage.

Single-payer is the only way, but these two candidates would never defy their corporate sponsors.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 4:59 AM

I like arcade fire's music so now I like Obama.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 6:09 AM

as they are recognized as a canadian band they should keep their noses out of american election.
and btw for the obama-support hipsters:
obama voted YES to make the anti democratic patriot act permanent, so much for the big lefty
and the big "change"

Posted by anon | March 1, 2008 7:01 AM

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 7:50 AM

and here's obama's explanation for his vote on the patriot act, you moron:

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 7:54 AM

Any band that big that takes a public stand on something other than their own advertising campaign needs to be commended.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 8:12 AM

I swear to god I never want to hear the term "universal health care" ever again. Most dim-witted Americans think that means it's going to be free. What I find ridiculous about the back-and-forth on that issue is that the WHOLE THING does NOT affect the many millions of Americans who have great health care already through their employer.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 8:33 AM

At first I didnt know who to vote for but thank god for arcade fire clearing things up for me.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 9:21 AM

I'm anxious to hear who Radiohead is supporting. I need my favorite band to make some sense of it all.

Posted by undecided voter | March 1, 2008 9:23 AM

"they should keep their noses out of the american election? fuck you, they're texans."

And will they be placing a vote in Texas on Tuesday?

Posted by CN | March 1, 2008 10:16 AM

Universal healthcare in Canada = rationed health care

Not that the healthcare system we currently have in the U.S. doesn't ration healthcare itself (differently than the Canadian system does). Just don't expect everything to be peachy keen should the U.S. ever institute universal healthcare.

"And will they be placing a vote in Texas on Tuesday?"

If the Butlers retained their U.S. citizenship, they (and Regine) probably cast their votes in the recent Democrats Abroad primary.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 10:44 AM

EXACTLY CN -- I'm gonna guess the Butler boys will not be voting in the Texas primary because they are not registered there because they do not live there matter of fact they don't even live in the country. all of a sudden they want to reclaim their Texan roots for the next few days to stump for their neophyte candidate? In Neon Bible's 'Windowsill', Win wrote "I don't want to live in America any more". We know Win, we know. So why don't you not visit America, either?

Posted by Jonny | March 1, 2008 10:46 AM

shut the hell up. lets not be ridiculous.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 10:57 AM

"LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT! LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!," says commenter Jonny. Some people amaze me.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 10:58 AM

just because I'm visiting doesnt mean I have to love it. I visit then I "leave it."

Posted by someone who isn't a complete ignoramous | March 1, 2008 11:12 AM

that's sweet. i'm up in cleveland and can't wait. hats off to you arcade fire for a) working to get out the vote, and being civic minded, and b) for coming to cleveland to play the best small club in the midwest.

Posted by CleRockCity | March 1, 2008 11:15 AM

snarky mcsnarkily snark snark.

good band, good candidate, what's the big deal? and what's with all these posters thinking they know everything about either of the candidates?

Posted by john Leikauf | March 1, 2008 12:10 PM

how dare they try to make a difference and support a candidate? it's not like they're some 16 year old band...Win and Will both have degrees from prestigious universities (mcgill and northwestern), i'm sure they've made informed decisions and are showing their support for their candidate.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 12:23 PM

canaidian or american? you can't reap the benefits of being both.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 12:26 PM

i'm hearing daft punk is playing a mccain benefit...

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 12:52 PM

i can't afford to go to canada anymore now that their dollar is worth more than ours :-(

Posted by bernake | March 1, 2008 12:56 PM

Our maple syrup is better than their maple syrup.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 1:05 PM

hahaha oh man

Well I'm going because I love Arcade fire. I happen to like Obama too...I don't think it's necessarily to change people's minds or brainwash anybody...it's just to show our support.

Posted by fromanonymous | March 1, 2008 1:26 PM

''Win and Will both have degrees from prestigious universities''
well that just about does it then.will win show us the way.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 1:31 PM

yup, george w. bush has an undergraduate degree from yale and a graduate degree from harvard...

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 1:34 PM

Why does anyone like this band? Funeral was great but Neon Bible is a flaming turd and sounds like Eddie and the Cruisers.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 1:42 PM

eddie and the cruisers is an american band arcade fire is dogshit

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 2:09 PM

I think alot of people are really ignorant about what universal health care really means. You can't trust the government to do anything right. You would trust them with your own health? You people need to grow up and learn to take care of yourselves instead of waiting for the govt to do it for you.

Universal Health care in Britain and Canada is total crap. so much so that rich people end up having to buy their own private health care and go to private hospitals because the wait is so long at public hospitals.

Besides, no one is guaranteed health care in the US Constitution. it's just silly that you people want a nanny state to take care of you all. get a damn job people and live according to your means and then you will be able to buy health care.

Posted by William F Buckley | March 1, 2008 2:15 PM

this is nothing but irritating and unnecessary.

Posted by j | March 1, 2008 2:40 PM

fuckabee

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 3:15 PM

I agree with the initial poster that Obama isn't going to lead the workers revolution or dismantle the police state or anything. The country and world will still be basically unjust and full of people who have to live without adequate food and decent shelter so that a few people can own a fleet of yachts. Still, compared to Bush, Hillary and Obama fucking look like Emma Goldman and Cornell West.

Posted by aviatrix | March 1, 2008 3:37 PM

Obama should grow a beard like Cornell West!

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 3:56 PM

haha...about that universal health care and being a waste etc.

American's spend more on health care than anyone else in the world....and still if some is sick or dying they get turned away at the hospital.

I love being free and independent as much as the next guy....but I'd rather not be free to go thousands of dollars in debt if I get sick...or free to die alone at home because I can't afford to see a doctor.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 5:23 PM

Wow, some folks get pretty uptight about fellow americans experessing their opinion. I'd hate to see what you would do if some other country tried to overthrow your government because they disagreed with their policies (like the US has done to Chile and Cuba among other countries).

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 5:26 PM

"Canadian health care isn't perfect, but at least we give a damn enough to at least try help someone out....and hilariously enough it's cheaper that the US system."

Cheaper...yeah...you mean subsidized by the taxpayers in Canada.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 5:32 PM

"I'd hate to see what you would do if some other country tried to overthrow your government because they disagreed with their policies (like the US has done to Chile and Cuba among other countries"

You've obviously never met anyone from Cuba that has risked their life to escape to the United States.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 5:35 PM

actually i met keith hernandez at a mets game once

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 5:37 PM

and i once saw beth ditto risk her life trying to get into a fat burger

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 5:39 PM

"If you don't want foreigners expressing their opinion about your country, maybe try not to fuck over so many other countries..."

Yes, because it's the average working class American who asked Kissinger to overthrow Allende, Bush I to allow Saddam to crush the Shi'ites, and Bush II to invade Iraq. Maybe be less self-righteous and accusatory of the entire nation and people would be more sympathetic to your viewpoint (which also happens to be mine). I'm sure whatever wealthy western nation you come from works towards peace and justice everywhere and never exploits anyone.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 5:41 PM

Amusingly this was kindof my point....ya, it was reducing it to absurdity, but really, it's amazing how bitter people are that a few americans who moved away want to express support for a presidential candidate...really considering how much impact the US has/tries to have on the rest of the world, to complain about people having an opion is kindof silly.

and ya, that last bit should have read "maybe the US government should try to fuck over so many countries" because there are lots of brilliant americans (like Win & Will Butler...)

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 5:49 PM

musical groups are special interests, much like the drug companies, defense industry, tobacco, attornies, the oil industry, etc....

they shouldn't be allowed to support one candidate over another in the election process any more than any other special interest group is allowed...providing their services (entertainment) to support one candidate in a value that exceeeds what any other profit making enterprise is allowed to donate is patently unfair and should not be allowed.

should we also let exxon contribute services worth millions of dollars to try to influence the election?....perhaps a free fill up of gasoline if you vote for mccain?

even individuals are limited in their campaign contributions under federal law.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 7:53 PM

A band shows support for a candidate they like. You can choose to see them and enjoy yourself, or not. What's the question, again?

Posted by Drew | March 1, 2008 8:21 PM

So, should exxon support a candidate as well?

Perhaps one free fillup if hillary is elected?

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 9:06 PM

Yeah, good things those industries you mention don't exert undue influence on the political process.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 9:57 PM

7:53, are you suggesting that the government should tell the band that they cannot play an Obama benefit? Is it alright if they perform a regular concert, but mention only Obama a few times? If so, how many times can they mention him?

The "value" of the entertainment services of a band is neither fixed nor is it in the same category as a monetary campaign donation. What you're suggesting is that we limit freedom of speech, and that is wrong.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2008 11:54 PM

Obama has Arcade Fire, Clinton has SNL. If anyone is confused about who to vote for, I suggest you ask a celebrity. Check out Jack Nicholson and Rob Reiner's endorsement. Very unique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsweXFpfa28

Just joking. I hope people are checking out the candidates websites and voting on issues and positions that they support and NOT based on rock band or late night TV show endorsements.

Texas, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Ohio this message is for you! VOTEVOTEVOTEVOTE

Posted by Trish | March 2, 2008 2:06 AM

your DR. Isn't in our plan, is the worst thing to hear!! Money does not make richer! It just throws dirt on your weakness!

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2008 2:33 AM

I voted in the early voting for the Texas Primaries on Friday. The polling stations had about 80% black people there. It leads me to believe Obama will easily take Texas.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2008 2:41 AM

when your on the chopping block it won't matter that daft punk is playing your house, or what eddie vedder is wearing cause your in the hands of who ever your health care says! It's just so sad!

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2008 2:45 AM

The monied interests in DC will eat Obama for breakfast. Wish it wasn't so but it is. They can't WAIT for him to get in there.

Posted by christopher | March 2, 2008 9:28 AM

"i'm hearing daft punk is playing a mccain benefit..."

Get bent, McCain would never accept an endoresement offered by frogs.

FREE CORSICA!

Posted by supersize my freedom fries! | March 2, 2008 10:01 AM

Is Farrakhan making an Obama video too?

Posted by hussein | March 2, 2008 11:51 AM

ah I like this weak atempt at a jab/joke.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2008 2:27 PM

To those who plan on going, what time are you going to get there?

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2008 3:26 PM

More Canadian meddling:

OBAMA ADVISER DENIES TRADE REMARKS

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (AP) — Barack Obama's senior economic policy adviser said Sunday that Canadian government officials wrote an inaccurate portrayal of his private discussion on the campaign's trade policy in a memo obtained by The Associated Press.

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2008 1:33 AM

Just a few points for the ignorant ones who have posted here ...

1. Press investigations have revealed that the alledged contact of an Obama campaign representative with a Canadian consulate official in Chicago was made up and spread by some Canadian activists who are supporting Canada's new very conservative right-wing government. All press coverage of the episode has ceased because the story is NOT TRUE.

2. I lived in Toronto for 7 years - I love the U.S. where I am a citizen, but I would move back there for my retirement for the superb health coverage Canadians have. So many lies have been told about this system, but many knowledgeable Americans are buying retirement property up there simply because of the security of the Canadian health system.

3. I can't believe that some Ohioans would actually allow themselves to be videoed for 60 Minutes while spouting lies about Obama that he is a Muslim and does not know the national anthem. Imagine being shown to the entire country what dumbasses southern Ohioans are? Incredible!

Posted by DrToketee | March 3, 2008 1:54 AM

Oh, one more point ... for those who say ... "well, aren't 'they' Canadian?"

People, just take one step outside of our borders and find out that Canadians are respected everywhere while we are nothing but low-life scum in most countries now ... thank heavens my daughter has both a U.S. and Canadian passport to travel on ... she never uses the American passport.

Posted by DrToketee | March 3, 2008 2:03 AM

Re: #1:

Why do you call it an alleged contact when the adviser says himself he took a tour of the Canadian consulate in Chicago? What the adviser disputes is the memo's characterization of the remarks he made at the consulate. Furthermore, the above AP story, which was posted just within the past couple of hours, makes no mention of any discovery by Canadian media of an intentional fabrication. Therefore, your credibility, at least with regards to #1, is shot.

Anyway, the only reason I posted the first paragraph of the story and a link to it was to make an admittedly silly wisecrack about Canadian meddling.

Posted by Anon.3/3 1:33 AM | March 3, 2008 2:28 AM

I like health care for everyone (including all of the children out there who can't work for a coorperation and pay for it) as much as the next guy. Universal health care is a great idea. Its also probably never going to happen in our country. Wah wah. As for these bleak images of people walking into hospitals and getting denied care, Im sorry, but you need to stop watching the local news. That's bullshit. I challenge you to find an emergency room in the US that turns down patients (even ones with minor headaches). There are also plenty of government subsidies for folks that can't afford healthcare. Acquiring finicial aid might require a little bit of literacy in the US, but hey, who needs literacy?

To all of the countries that the US has "fucked": Sorry. Wish I was in charge. Free bread and bottled water for everyone. Need we forget that the US is provides more humanitarian aid to other countries (no matter how you slice it) each year than any other country on this perfect planet of ours.

Posted by Ben | March 3, 2008 4:03 AM

oh, and what does all of this have to do with the Arcade Fire? You complain that they want to voice their opinions and yet here we all are pontificating on a stupid little fucking blog comment board. This makes me want to punch myself in the junk. I like the Arcade Fire (even if you don't). I like Barack (and not just because he's black). I don't think he is going to bring any kind of effective change.. Presidents don't do that any more.

Posted by ben | March 3, 2008 4:15 AM

I did it. It was my idea to create Israel. And back Saddam. And help liberate Europe from a gigantic evil Nazi regime. Being God is hard sometimes and it comes with success and failure. CertInly you wouldnt expects to be perfect...

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2008 4:24 AM

Re: #2: "many knowledgeable Americans are buying retirement property up there simply because of the security of the Canadian health system."

Wait a sec. Just because a foreigner can afford to set up a permanent residence in Canada doesn't mean he or she is legally allowed to do so. They have restrictions on immigration (and illegal aliens, or whatever the Canadian term for them is) just like the U.S. does. Just ask the handful of U.S. servicemen who fled to Canada to avoid going to Iraq.

Posted by Anon.3/3 1:33 AM | March 3, 2008 11:05 AM

"Need we forget that the US is provides more humanitarian aid to other countries (no matter how you slice it) each year than any other country on this perfect planet of ours."

I slice it thusly: A comparison of percentage of GDP, not of total amounts. Go ahead and lump private and governmental aid together. I am under the impression that the U.S. is near, but not at, the top by that measure. Find a source to prove me wrong.

Somebody mentioned Israel. Israel is by far the single largest recipient of aid from the U.S. government. That aid should be excluded, at least in part, from the above calculation if only because it misleadingly skews the calculation.

Furthermore, there is the widespread perception (not entirely erroneous) that the U.S. (and to varying extents, other Western nations) have, in one way or another, plundered non-Western nations, so even if the U.S. is mighty generous with other nations, many recipients of this aid no doubt feel that the aid was indirectly stolen from them in the first place.

Posted by Anon.3/3 1:33 AM | March 3, 2008 11:22 AM

Oh fuck off. By your estimates then, a country like Botswana could find itself at the top of your list by donating a hundred dollars and a chicken to a neighboring country to aid in the fight against malaria. GDP.

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2008 5:59 PM

lol...also by his logic Spain and England would be the most hated countries in the world because their plundering of other countries greatly exceeded any U.S. plundering historically.

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2008 7:50 PM