Posted in music | tour dates | video on March 4, 2008

May 2 - Tabernacle Atlanta, Georgia
Jun 14 - Bonnaroo Music Festival Manchester, Tennessee
Aug 10 - All Points West Music and Arts Festival Jersey City, New Jersey

Tags: Cat Power, Leno

I just don't get it.

Posted by greg | March 4, 2008 1:37 AM

she looks like a total idiot singing that with her fake mole. oh how sad it is to see someone you used to love sink to such utter shit

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 3:00 AM

It's funny how people abandon their heroes the minute they start to sniff a bit of fame.

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 7:12 AM

It's funny how people have heroes.

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 7:51 AM

Seriously... you are a bunch of fucking turncoats. Just because she has a fake mole and sings with a blues band?

Oh well... the same people who are bitching about her now probably never heard of her before "You Are Free".

Posted by rocked the shit | March 4, 2008 7:59 AM

poop.

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 9:15 AM

Her voice is holding up pretty well and I'm sure she doesn't mean to infringe on anyone's delicate sensibilities. Wouldn't be that great a world if all artists did was to pander to people's preconceived notions. Come to think of it, that would be grounds for all that's wrong with the world, pervasiveness of people's smug little resistance to growth and change.

Posted by Allen | March 4, 2008 9:19 AM

she is amazing...

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 9:29 AM

"Turncoats"—a fantastic epithet if there ever was one. Right up there with "Philistines."

I love her new album, but this performance seemed a bit over-dramatic ... and if that really is a fake mole—come on. She (should be) too old for that shit.

Posted by Hunter | March 4, 2008 9:30 AM

But seriously what's with the fake mole?

Posted by Dan MacEnrue | March 4, 2008 9:42 AM

I don't think Hunter really understands what an epithet is.

Posted by rocked the shit | March 4, 2008 9:46 AM

wtf is wrong with cat power. she was much better when her target audience was white suburban girls. this shit blows.

Posted by liz | March 4, 2008 9:52 AM

What time does Daft Punk grow and change?

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 9:54 AM

overrated.

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 9:56 AM

I hardly think shes compromised her talent or integrity. I'd have less respect for her if she made the music you wanted her to make, rather then the music she wants to make. And clearly you never "loved" her or her work. If you did, you'd probably like Jukebox, different though it may be from previous albums, it's not a stretch or some candy-coated attempt at mainstream acceptance. I don't think there has been a negative material change in Chan or her music, I'm sorry that anyone would.

Posted by James | March 4, 2008 10:25 AM

caribbean cruise boat bullshit

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 11:14 AM

let's see. she enjoys performing obviously, and her voice is still quality as she nears 40. I don't understand the bitching.

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 11:16 AM

Epithet: Definition 1(b): a disparaging or abusive word or phrase (www.merriam-webster.com)

Posted by Hunter | March 4, 2008 11:47 AM

Many people for whom I have very high respect think Cat Power is some transcendent musical genius. I've seen her live twice -- once in 2001 (disaster), once last summer at the 'Pool (boredom) -- and have owned several of her CDs. I've given her as much of a try as any 'valued' artist of our times. Her 'Chan'-neling a young Grace Slick to sing 'New York, New York' on a late night talk show smacks of desperation no matter how you slice it: either go to Vegas or strap on a guitar and tell us how you really feel. I don't think we've time for much else anymore.

Posted by greg | March 4, 2008 12:01 PM

greg is right. I seen her at Pitchfork fest. Totally boring.

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 12:08 PM

i like her, but this is just bland.i have zero problem with her getting popular,i have a problem with her being boring.

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 12:18 PM

>>I don't think we've time for much else anymore. <<

what's this we shit ? are you the voice of your generation ?
Are we supposed to be impressed that you've given her a chance ?
She's not 23 anymore..... She's doing what she wants to do now and whether you like it or not her choices of songs on her current record don't exactly mine a particularly popular genre ....so if its a sellout move it be pretty bad idea. It's not for you....move on..there's always St Vincent and tons of other young female artists
..maybe they are more worthy of your precious time..

Posted by Charles | March 4, 2008 12:23 PM

make a note to self: If you express an opinion, you will be flamed. Done.

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 12:25 PM

i think there might finally someone who can challenge joe cocker for the most awkward stage presence ever.

Posted by diggins | March 4, 2008 12:25 PM

New stuff is pretty good, but not legendary like Moon Pix or The Covers Record

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 12:38 PM

>>make a note to self: If you express an opinion, you will be flamed. Done. <<

If you make an arrogant opinions and use words like "we" as in you talk for everybody... you will be flamed and rightly so . Done

Posted by Charles | March 4, 2008 12:59 PM

I've never like theatrical singers. One of the things that drew me to her initially was her honesty and translucent agenda.

This is a different animal all together.

Ask yourself this. If she released this under a pseudonym and no one found out... would anyone care?

Posted by Bradley | March 4, 2008 1:29 PM

You people sound like the tedious bores I always end up seated with at dinner parties ...

There's a place for tasteful boogie woogie blues like this, too. Like, say, when you're dusting your house. Or maybe at tax time ... TAX TIME!?

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 1:35 PM

Hey Charles...

'Are we supposed to be impressed that you've given her a chance ?'

...you wanna clarify when it's ok to use 'we' on this board?

Posted by greg | March 4, 2008 1:35 PM

" her voice is still quality as she nears 40."

Since when did 40 year olds lose their voices? Jesus...That's when a really great voice is just getting started.

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 1:45 PM

Ooh, she has a fake mole. Who gives a rat's ass what she choses to do to her face? Her voice and interperations of songs are fucking amazing. I would rather see her doing her funny little Chan dances than being totally drunk and withdrawn. I saw her last March and she was fucking transcendent. It was like she was a vessel for her music.

Posted by DieScum | March 4, 2008 2:29 PM

Please clarify: a vessel for her music, or for the music of whomever else's songs she sings now to get on Leno?

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 2:32 PM

Have you never heard of standards, covers or interpertations? I guess Billy Holliday really blows bc she sings songs other than hers.

Posted by Duh | March 4, 2008 2:33 PM

>you wanna clarify when it's ok to use 'we' on this board?<

When you know specifically who you are speaking for.

any other dumb questions ?

Posted by Charles | March 4, 2008 2:37 PM

What if one is royal, like Queen Elizabeth? Is the royal we acceptable?

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 2:46 PM

we is stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 3:04 PM

We, we, we all the way home. Charles you just wanna sleep with Cat Power. Admit it!

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 4:28 PM

Greg's got a point, Charles. You used 'we' just like he did. Are you the voice of a generatioin?

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 4:30 PM

I know specifically who I'm speaking for. :)

Also you can defend a woman and not want to sleep with her...
and I guess vice versa...
for example

I'd defend Hillary Clinton against any republican attacks

and

I'm not a big fan of Jenny Lewis' music, but...

Posted by Charles | March 4, 2008 4:44 PM

I'd sleep with Jerry Lewis too!

Posted by SparkleFanny | March 4, 2008 4:48 PM

I hate, hate, hate her dumb little dances. I feel embarrassed for her just watching. By all means, feel the music, get into it if you must, but her totally awkward stage presence takes away from how smooth and cool her voice can and usually does sound. I understand you have stage fright, but dancing like a fool doesn't really help your case much, Chan.

Posted by yo yo | March 4, 2008 5:57 PM

what the fuck was that? and the michael jackson dancing...

do we really need another cover of "new york, new york?" someone actually used a nationally televised opportunity to do that??? wow.

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2008 8:01 PM