Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on March 20, 2008

photos by Ryan Muir & Leia Jospe

HF @ Emo's Annex (BV day party) - Mar 13, 2008 (Ryan Muir)
Holy Fuck @ SXSW

I heard that everywhere Holy Fuck played (during SXSW) was packed with people. My own party at the 600-capacity Emo's Annex on Thursday afternoon (March 13) was no exception. Holy Fuck were scheduled to play at 5:20. By 5:00 (around the time Phosphorescent was leaving the stage), we were completely 'sold out' and a line started to form down the street. I was honestly a little suprised (as surprised as I was when the opposite happened to Shearwater when they played their 1am set after Martha Wainwright at my official showcase the night before).

HF @ Emo's Annex (BV day party) - Mar 13, 2008 (Leia Jospe)
Holy Fuck @ SXSW

Anyway, the place was filled and HF proceeded to play a fantastic, dancetastic set that pretty much everyone I talked to was in turn talking about - especially the part where they loop that film through that thing and it makes that noise....(see above). I heard they also *killed it* at Rachael Ray's, and Matt YANP said "they're darn near perfect" after catching their Wednesday set at a Gorilla vs Bear day party.

Eduardo once compared them to Battles in the comments. I think that's a good one. They both have a similar mostly-instrumental-electronic sound and are both good, but Battles were able to headline Webster Hall already and Holy Fuck are just reaching the point where they're touring as the opener for one of their label-mates (Super Furry Animals) and co-headlining Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn (with A Place To Bury Strangers on March 22). I think that's because Battles had a really catchy hit song (relatively speaking) and a little more help, but if the buzz at SXSW is any indication, Holy Fuck will definitely be right there with them in no time - the more old fashioned way. Oh yeah, tickets for Saturday's show are still NOT YET SOLD OUT. All dates and more SXSW photos below......

Holy Fuck - Milkshake (animation by Chad VanGaalen)

the rest of Ryan Muir's pics.....

Holy Fuck @ SXSW

the rest of Leia Jospe's pics.....

Holy Fuck - 2008 Tour Dates
Apr 6 - Norwich Arts Centre Norwich
Apr 7 - Digital Brighton
Apr 8 - 100 Club London, London and South East
Apr 9 - Speakeasy Belfast
Apr 10 - Whelans Dublin, Dublin

----

All photos taken March 13, 2008 @ The BrooklynVegan free day party @ Emo's Annex in Austin, Texas.

I saw Holy Fuck open up for Cornelius, and I like them a lot. I don't see the Battles comparison. Battles are a boring version of Don Caballero/King Crimson, IMHO. Can't stand the "vocals".

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2008 11:49 AM

When did "slammed with people" enter the vernacular?

Posted by William Safire | March 20, 2008 11:53 AM

"When did "slammed with people" enter the vernacular?"

good point. that sentence sounded weird anyway. rewrote. thanks

Posted by brooklynvegan | March 20, 2008 11:58 AM

Beat the Devil are also playing the MHoW show. Good lineup, but I am already checking out Longwave that night.

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2008 12:05 PM

battles trump holy fuck by a long shot. way more inventive and fresh sounding. not saying i don't like holy fuck. but after seeing them 10 times opening i don't see a stellar headlining act coming out of them. I am going to see APTBS cause i have yet to see them. keep missing their sets...

also i have been seeing battles since their opening sets for prefuse 73 and 10+ times later I am still not the least bit bored. Looking forward to what they bring to the table for their HEADLINING central park summer stage show. hope some new sounds.

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2008 12:05 PM

Hmmmmmm I don't want to rain on anyones parade here cause I have seen Holy Fuck and they are not bad by any means. Just not as great as you BV seem to think. But hmmm could it possibly be that the show you put on and the few other shows at SXSW were so crowded because it was FREE!!! Funny how the paying show at MHOW is not even close to selling out. I think that is how you really gauge a band's popularity or at least the interest people have in them. My grandmother playing a xylophone at a free SXSW party could probably have filled the place.

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2008 12:09 PM

Not necessarily Anon 12:09. A lot of the free shows had plenty of room far from the stage (and food/drink to keep them there). If the performer wasn't a draw, attendees weren't bound to stand next to the stage and can simply walk away.

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2008 12:21 PM

I'll vouch for Holy Fuck. Raw, high energy, dance-y, pulsing music, especially good live. Battles on the other hand, not that into it. And I bought the album (only listened to it maybe twice) and I've seen them live, still wasn't into it. I think the vocals kill it for me.

Posted by Sha-na-na-nonymous | March 20, 2008 12:55 PM

Holy Fuck are pretty awesome live. The intensity is certainly noteworthy...

Though they have not sold out MHOW yet, tomorrow's gig at The Middle East in Boston has been sold out for weeks, as have other shows on the tour. I'd say they are just about ready to break out on their own.

Also, Tiny Whales, who have a lot in common with Holy Fuck are playing on the Boston bill. Check em out (tinywhales.com)

Posted by Daniel B | March 20, 2008 1:13 PM

i saw them open for !!! last year at the bowery and they totally won me over.

Posted by d | March 20, 2008 3:23 PM

i will almost always go out of my way to see holy fuck, sxsw was no exception. listening to their record does no justice. their live shows always make me go nuts. bv, thanks for the great party at the annex. great weather, free vodka, free cigarettes, holy fuck... what more could you ask for!?!?!?

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2008 4:00 PM

They won me over the first time I saw them opening for !!! too. Since then I think they have stoled the shows every time they opened for other bands, until they headlined Music Hall a couple of weeks ago with A Place to Bury Strangers opening... now that it was their turn to headline the opener killed it.

Posted by Eduardo | April 2, 2008 2:21 PM

Undoubtedly Holy Fuck are the best. I would have voted for them.

Posted by Travel Tips | October 14, 2009 4:55 PM