Posted in industry | music | radio on March 25, 2008

Sirius and XM....that Sirius 'Blog Radio' may be be coming to an XM radio near you in the very near future.

The decision eliminates what was viewed as the toughest legal hurdle facing the $13 billion deal, which must be approved by the Federal Communications Commission. Consumer groups and traditional broadcasters have urged the FCC to impose conditions on the merger. [Washington Post]
BrooklynVegan 'blog radio' airs on Sirius 26 (Left of Center) Wednesdays at noon EST, and then again at midnight that night.

"...Sirius 'Blog Radio' maybe be coming to an XM radio near you in the very near future."

If the merged company provides identical channels and programming for Sirius receivers and XM receivers alike, how do you know that Blog Radio will make the cut?

Posted by party pooper | March 25, 2008 2:57 PM

just don't take away my o&a!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2008 3:56 PM

People really use satellite radio? I don't know a single person.

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2008 4:12 PM

i think its quite popular for people in cars - so probably not so much for metropolitan living - unless you need your howard stern fix.

BV, promise me that Left of Center wont be swallowed by the weak XMU ? can you promise that - Left of Center is vastly superior.

In fact all of Sirius' Rock stations are superior to XMs (yea they have the Bob Dylan show, but that comes on once a week? if that

Can't speak for the rest of the programming though, of course except for Howard > O & A

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2008 4:27 PM

Can't speak for XM, but the content on Sirius satelite radio is pretty solid. The sound quality is not the best(tinny), and the quality of their radios = crap. I know many people who are on their 2nd and third radios already. I'm on my 2nd in two years. Their customer support is one giant headache as well. I have dealt with them about half a dozen times.

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2008 4:41 PM

My question is "What happens to the subscription rates?" Will they rise or fall? My guess is that they'll rise. I currently have a portable XM radio w/ no subscription so unless the price goes down on the monthly rate, I might as well sell it on ebay.

Posted by Eric | March 25, 2008 4:43 PM

i think they will stay the same but the plan is to adopt an a'la carte subscription plan(s). if you want mlb/nfl/nascar you pay for that - same with the talk and entertainment shows.

however, the reason they're merging is so they can eliminate their redundant programming - all their music stations that are the same.

but XMU blows in comparison to Left of Center - lets hope Left of Center and BlogRadio keeps on keeping on.

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2008 4:57 PM

WFMU forever!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2008 5:28 PM

I can't believe that Justice was going to headline at Madison Square Garden.

Posted by anonymous2 | March 25, 2008 6:00 PM

Sirius, has replaced the television in my house between Stern and the commercial-free music, who needs television. And yes, Stern is still around, and his show is better than ever.. actually i hardly even listen to any of the music stations.

Posted by g bro | March 25, 2008 7:34 PM

Satellite radio has a chance. Root for it.

Posted by Bob Lefsetz | March 25, 2008 7:51 PM

Just dont change XMUs deep playlist and XMUs specialty shows in which members from top indie bands have host there own shows. Only thing good on Left of Center is the blog radio.

Posted by me | March 25, 2008 9:30 PM

my main complaint with LoC is that it's playlists are often so incredibly repetitive that it gets annoying. i mean, there was a period last nite that i heard magnetic fields' "california girls" twice within two hours. surely they have more songs than that to play from. i do love jenny's show on there as well as blog radio, but that's all that LoC has going for it, IMO. it's just good to hear some indie music in my car that's not located on my iPod.

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2008 10:41 PM

It discusses, among other things, the proposed post-merger price plans.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2008 10:04 PM