Posted in music | pictures on March 7, 2008

Nick Cave @ Terminal 5, NYC - March 6, 2008 (tina gao)
Nick Cave at the Plug Awards

Nick Cave played an awesome 45-60 minute set to an appreciative crowd at Terminal 5 last night. Most people were clearly there to see Nick. The rest of the Plug Awards didn't have as much energy - really wasn't that exciting, but it wasn't that bad either.....at least I thought so.....

cave played nine songs, six from the new album. the bad seeds set was awesome. the rest of the show, like someone said earlier, was "awkward and pointless". [anonymous]
I thought it all went pretty fast for what it was. Unlike previous years, they sped right through things - no weird skits or iPod battles. In fact, maybe they sped through it too much. I got there about 20 minutes late and it was hard for me to hear what they were saying on stage a lot so I may have missed it, but I was waiting for Patton Oswalt to tell a joke all night. Instead he basically just read off cards, introduced who was next, and kept things moving along. Of course I was happy to see St. Vincent, Dizzee Rascal, Jose Gonzalez and the Forms, but their sets were only 2-3 songs long (not that I expected them to be longer).

Strangely Animal Collective beat The National for "Best Indie Album", but The National did win "Best Song" - which they were there to accept. Arcade Fire won "Best Album" (a different category than "Indie Album"). Stereogum won best blog, Pitchfork won best website for the 2nd year in a row, and Blog Radio on Sirius (that I am a part of) won "Best Specialty Radio Show" (thanks!) for the 2nd year in a row. Justice won "Best New Artist" and I think Hot Chip won best DJ album. Other awards I can remember went to Bowery Ballroom for best venue, Other Music for best store, and Coachella for best festival. I'll list them all out below when they publish a list.

St Vincent @ Terminal 5, NYC - March 6, 2008 (tina gao)
St Vincent at the Plug Awards

exactly 9 songs, 50 min.

Posted by danidin | March 7, 2008 8:56 AM

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 8:57 AM

I'm curious to see how many photographers were there.

Posted by GOPster | March 7, 2008 9:01 AM

the event was advertised as Cave, singer and thought the Cave Singers were playing last night.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 9:06 AM

patton oswalt had has all the mannerisms of dave attell with none of the funny.

the crowd who clapped for the one 'award' i was there for deserves a good mugging.

terminal 5 is pretty far out of the way, with horrible sightlines and mediocre sound. fuck that place.

nick cave was fucking great. i love his new cd.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 9:11 AM

I really wish the Willowz were nominated for something, I would give them the "D.I.Y." award.

Congrats Hot Chip!!!!

Posted by Chris Stevenson | March 7, 2008 9:25 AM

I like the Cave Singers too

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 9:53 AM

did any bands actually show up to receive awards?

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 9:53 AM

"Yay Terminal 5! I love that place! Figured I would get this in before the same 5 people comment over and over on how Terminal 5 sucks!"

Look, it's Bowery Presents people again commenting on BV.

It's actually good to go to Terminal 5 once in a blue moon for something like this. You realize how good every other place in the city sounds in comparison. It makes Webster Hall sound like Carnegie Hall afterwards. Nick was fantastic, the sound was terrible. If you love Terminal 5, you need to see an ear doctor.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 9:55 AM

"did any bands actually show up to receive awards?"

Who cares about the awards. It was a Nick Cave show.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 9:59 AM

Sarcasm. Retard.

Posted by Jesus H. Christ | March 7, 2008 10:00 AM

I've been listening to Cave since '86....I was there!

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 10:09 AM

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds...classy and good enough to overcome all of Terminal 5's faults even in his older age and while predominantly doing new material that most of the audience wasn't familiar with yet. Three fucking words for you: 1.) Tupelo 2.) Stagger 3.) Lee! What a living legend!

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 10:15 AM

gopster:

according to their PR people there were like 40 photographers there. they originally said we could shoot from the 2nd floor balcony (basically a ridiculously long distance), but every photographer just shot from the floor.

Posted by jason | March 7, 2008 10:26 AM

Its the same 10 Bowery presents employees defending it again.

good show though, arrived at 9:30,Nick went on about 9:45.. 18 bux damage

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 10:27 AM

CAVE!

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 10:35 AM

red right hand!!

cave and the seeds tore that place a new one last night. they were so raw and powerful.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 10:36 AM

Actually, I thought Patton was kind of funny - - he usually sucsks (I saw him do an in-store in LA) but last nights opening stand up had me laughing

Posted by Mike | March 7, 2008 10:46 AM

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 10:53 AM

right on 10:53. watch it in real life, not on your little tv.

Terminal 5 would have made a great Old Navy. What a waste.

Until next year. When it becomes an Old Navy. Bargains!

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 11:12 AM

"why go see a live show and watch it through your crappy viewfinder?"

I agree 100% if you are talking about concert-goers with point-n-shoot cameras. As far as professional photographers go, I like the agreement many artists have: you can only photograph the first 2-3 songs/10-15 minutes. After that, leave the floor to the fans that came.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 11:20 AM

I don't understand how anyone could say that Nick Cave did not sound amazing...
I thought the sound was awesome... the TV show-like video of Cave was great too.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 11:22 AM

What's wrong with snapping off a few shots with a point and shoot?

People always have to have something to complain about.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 11:31 AM

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 11:33 AM

you're there to cover an awards show and you're 20 minutes late?
AMATEUR.

Posted by anonymous | March 7, 2008 11:42 AM

Wow are you calling BV an amateur? I think he was just there for fun and sharing his thoughts on the concert - not necessarily covering it or writing a full review.

Posted by Bao | March 7, 2008 12:03 PM

I was pretty bitter about paying the ten dollars until nick cave came on. i loved all the early bands but the crowd was so sucky. God, it was embarassing to be a new york music fan.

The people in the front talking loudly during the perfomances about their boring existences. Why not just go to a bar and talk there? I mean can't you wait like an hour and tell your stupid story about the american apparel wearing boy with the grizzly adam's beard you met the night before and not during the Jose Gonalez set.

And all the people who just sat frozen, looking around to see if the crowd deemed it acceptable to feign excitement during Dizzee Rascal set. Get over yourselves. Your stylish clothing and zip codes, don't make you interesting and unique. You do. Dance people, smile, snap your fingers... He put alot of energy out to the crowd and Terminal 5 is not easiest venue to evoke emotion. And nothing... Sirens has to be one of the fiercest song out there.

Luckily, I found an enclave of Nick Cave fans who have waited years and years to see him... They saved the night for me. Singing and dancing to all the songs. Nick Cave was just awesome. Still send chills to my spine.

Today, I think I am going to revert back to my angsty 16 year old self and get lost in his music. He will make me feel better about being alone in the fake, forced and manifactured world that is the New York music scene.

Posted by I am going to start a war with this comment but.... | March 7, 2008 12:50 PM

"Dizzee preformed admirably under the circumstances, undeterred by the tepid confused crowd. Patton on the other hand seemed thrown by it.

I went in somewhat open minded, but Terminal 5 has really bad acoustics. The assholes freely talking over José's set were louder than him."

Someone else besides Nick Cave performed?

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 1:22 PM

Patton Oswald is infinitely more funny than Dave Attell.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 1:32 PM

was Todd P there?

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 1:47 PM

I P'd there...very nice bathrooms

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 2:31 PM

no one was into Dizzee Rascal because he sucked. People were just looking around to validate that opinion. hip hop and indie crowds don't mix.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 2:45 PM

Nick Cave was just on NPR. I'm sure if you go to wnyc.org you can listen to the archive of it.

Posted by Venison | March 7, 2008 3:02 PM

It was an enormous trek to find the second floor bathrooms, but when I did ... wow! An usher, cool blue lights and no waiting! Wish the Katie Holmes look-alike was still there when I came out.

Ah well ... three amazing songs
We Go to the Author to Explain
Red Right Hand
Stagger Lee

Whoa... freaking great.

Posted by Elevene | March 7, 2008 3:31 PM

I also liked one of the new ones..."Lay Down And Be My Girl" or something like that. And while not the greatest live rendition of "Tupelo" I've ever heard, it was still freakin' "TUPELO"!

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2008 3:53 PM

Ah well ... three amazing songs
We Call Upon the Author
Red Right Hand
Stagger Lee

Whoa... freaking great.

Posted by Elevene | March 7, 2008 4:14 PM

This was my 1st show at terminal 5. I thought it was a pretty cool place, until the performances started. The sound is HORRIBLE!

I agree that the Photogs were out of control. It was a wall of giant SLRS. I don't have a prob with fans snapping a few shot (even when they leave the flash on and blind the artist... But the professional dicks got on my nerves. They don;t just stand there and shoot, they keep shuffling and leaning this way and that for a better shot. I had to tell the drunk photog in front of me to stop putting her kit in my face. must be nice to have a job you can get hammered at.

After NC&TBS's 2-3 song a security guy told the photographers to pack it in. IT WAS BLISS! The fans finally started to enjoy the show!

And to the two loud mouths that kept YAPPing throughout the whole show... You smelled!

ok enough negativity.... I actually had a blast! It was a great show!

I hope nick doesn't make us wait an other 5 years until he comes back!

Posted by Hamett | March 7, 2008 4:49 PM

"was Todd P there?"

is that going to be like the new "what times does daft punk..." comments? Or are you actually serious? Why would Todd P be there? he wasn't nominated for a plug award. Besides, Todd P thinks he's way too cool to ever show his face at such a non-DIY event.

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2008 10:26 AM

"photographers should have been banned from the goddam floor. i had some dick blocking my view the entire time with his dumb digital camera. why go see a live show and watch it through your crappy viewfinder?"

Dear Moron,

Do you like the images that BV posts of the concerts that you _didn't_ go to? Then shut the fuck up and let the photogs do their jobs.

Idiot.

Posted by dz | March 10, 2008 2:01 AM

Patton Oswalt actually did have the chance to tell a few jokes in his opening monologue, which it sounds like you just missed. I caught a bunch of it on two different vids, if you're remotely curious. The "There Will Be Blood" and "Ironic T-Shirts" bits were actually quite funny, IMHO. Anywayz, you can also catch 4 vids from Nick Cave's performance, 2 of St. Vincent, 1 Jose Gonzales and 2 Dizzee Rascal. They're all in a big red player at tixgirl.com. That said, I wish you'd won best blog. Maybe next year?

Posted by tixgirl | March 10, 2008 1:23 PM

Did anyone else notice all the Macs in the "Dell" Lounge blogger pit? Way to go, Dell!

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2008 8:34 PM

bao, please....BV is amateur in that respect.
if he/she is there for fun, then say so up front.
kill your idols, man. kill your idols.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2008 10:59 PM

i loved it! i loved the people! i loved the show! i freaking LOVE nick cave!

i guess i could critique it...but shit, i'm from OKC, OK...never get a show like that!

Posted by popmodern | March 11, 2008 4:48 PM

Sorry to butt-in on a New York conversation, but I just want to point out that you were lucky to see (as things stand) the only NC&TBS U.S. performance on the current tour.

Not to mention that they didn't play the States on the Abattoir Blues tour, either.

So it's been awhile, and while the venue may suck, they were there!

Full disclosure: I did see the Grinderman incarnation in Chicago last Fall. Awesome!

Posted by fbnb | March 13, 2008 5:58 PM