Posted in music | tour dates on March 19, 2008

Prince

No word on which day he will crash the party, but Prince will be added to the lineup for the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, which runs April 25-27 at the Empire Polo Field in Indio, sources tell me.* No confirmation from the artist's websites, which seem to be down (or under construction) at the moment. But this certainly adds some meat to the the festival's slightly protein-starved roster.

Correction: Coachella co-producers AEG Live have responded to this post. Brandon K. Phillips, CEO of AEG Live, writes in an email: "Paul Tollett, the head of our Goldenvoice division and our partner in the festival, just called to tell me that the LA Times put on their blog that Prince was playing Coachella. This is absolutely not true... Regardless of what the Times was told, there is no commitment from Prince to play Coachella." Stay tuned.... this is the Purple One we're talking about, so anything could happen.

Goldfrapp and Aphex Twin were recently announced as additions to the lineup, as well as Serj Tankian, Redd Kross, Kate Nash and Adele. [LA Times]

Wow. With this one announcment, I could start caring about Coachella this year.

Posted by Wayne | March 19, 2008 10:13 AM

If he plays on Friday night, I will seriously look into going!

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 10:20 AM

are there any new additions to APW? : (

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 10:22 AM

All Points Worst

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 10:23 AM

no room to add anyone to APW -

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 10:25 AM

The bottom of that post also says:

*Correction: Coachella co-producers AEG Live have responded to this post. Brandon K. Phillips, CEO of AEG Live, writes in an email: "Paul Tollett, the head of our Goldenvoice division and our partner in the festival, just called to tell me that the LA Times put on their blog that Prince was playing Coachella. This is absolutely not true… Regardless of what the Times was told, there is no commitment from Prince to play Coachella."

If the artist isn't confirming it and neither are the promoters, I'm not buying it. I'm going to Coachella but I don't believe the Purple nerple's going to be there.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 10:34 AM

Coachella gets Aphex Twin AND Prince now? Man, throw us NYers a bone here.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 10:35 AM

I can't believe you would post an article with such pro-carnivore rhetoric. The phrase "[adding] some meat to the the festival's slightly protein-starved roster" should have a negative connotation. You are not helping the cause by calling yourself a vegan and endorsing this hate mongering.

If you want to help, use phrases like the following:
"Vampire Weekend really added some meat to the indie fashion scene with their argyle sweater vests and seersucker briefs."

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 10:36 AM

Yeah this is bullshit. Prince is not playing Coachella. It is still a pretty wack lineup. Worst Coachella lineup in years.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 10:40 AM

The Coachella lineup looks bad until you look at APW.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 10:47 AM

wack? guess youre only looking at headliners and can't reacd fine print

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 10:51 AM

what is going on here?

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 10:51 AM

LA Times post was updated with a correction, so I updated too.

Posted by brooklynvegan | March 19, 2008 10:56 AM

"The Coachella lineup looks bad until you look at APW."

Looking at APW makes Coachella seem like the greatest festival EVER assembled....hence, APW's lineup is awful!

Btw, to the guy who wrote 'ALL POINTS WORST'....I started that last month. kthanxbye!

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 11:11 AM

Coachella doesn't get Prince and APW adds Danny Noriega! Jeez!

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 11:14 AM

"wack? guess youre only looking at headliners and can't reacd fine print"

Well if i was you i would learn to WRITE the fine print before telling someone to REACD it. And yes Coachella is a wack lineup. Most of the smaller bands i will be able to see in much more intimate places here in NYC. Frankly I will take 2 nights of Radiohead with some other bands at beautiful Liberty State Park over this any day. I saw Radiohead when they played LIberty the last time and it was an amazing show and one that people are still talking about. I can assure you the naysayers on here making fun of APW will be kicking themselves after when the talk will be about how great Radiohead was. Then they can run and see them play the shitty sound echo chamber known as MSG.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 11:20 AM

wow, anon 1120 is so bitter he/she cant go to coachella

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 11:44 AM

"wow, anon 1120 is so bitter he/she cant go to coachella

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 11:44 AM"

LAMEST WISECRACK RESPONSE EVER

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 11:46 AM

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 11:49 AM

No Prince at APW? But you get JACK JOHNSON! ;)

Posted by robert doosh | March 19, 2008 12:05 PM

"I thought it was a great wisecrack. Sounds like someone is both envious and defensive.

Radiohead will be playing in nearby Philly and Boston. Much smaller venues than APW. The setting will be different than in 2001. I will wait until those shows are announced."

You would think it was great because you are probably the fucking moron who made the wisecrack. Totally transparent. This has nothing to do with envy or being defensive. I and many other people can afford to go to Coachella but choose not to this year because unfortunately the lineup is not good. I mean cmon loser just take a look back at the Coachella pages on here and you can see the majority of people are not into it. Are they all envious people who cannot afford to go? Give me a break with that bullshit.

You have no idea where Radiohead is playing in Philly and Boston. No one does and i am sure it will be the largest arenas they have there. But yes the setting will be different than Field Day in 2001. This year not only do you get to see Radiohead but some great other bands as well such as Kings of Leon and Animal Collective and Underworld. As a festival APW is lacking. As 2 Radiohead shows with some amazing openers it cannot be beat.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 12:05 PM

anonymous people are losers

Posted by jack benson | March 19, 2008 12:16 PM

"You would think it was great because you are probably the fucking moron who made the wisecrack. Totally transparent."

Shows how much you know. I am not the person who posted that comment. I am not evening going to Coachella. Even if the lineup was good, I cannot be bothered with traveling to California and camping with thousands of others.

All Points Weak.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 12:34 PM

I felt the need to jump into the bitching of the 15 year olds.

Unless you're one of those people who like to go to shows super early, wait in lines, and make prisoners of themselves close to the stage for hours, pretty much every 'big festival' performance will be worse than seeing a band at a small venue or even at an arena like MSG. If you just think of MSG as an echo chamber, you obviously never had a good seat there. I only go there if I manage to get floor seats not too far from stage, and it almost always sounds great. I saw The Who both at MSG and at a crowded festival. Compared to their show at MSG, I don't even consider the festival performance a proper concert experience.

I saw most bands I am interested in from Coachella lineup in NYC already. I'm going there for the overall experience and I'm very happy with the lineup. I'll just relax, enjoy the desert and catch as much music as I can with some friends. I'll also be at APW since it's right here, but Coachella will no doubt be a much better experience.

Of course I'd wish David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, etc. etc. would be added to the lineup. However then I would start worrying about getting close to the stage and having an unobstucted view, which would no doubt stress me out. Those of us living in NY will get an opportunity to see almost everyone up close sooner or later. In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with traveling to a festival for some fun.

Stop the complaining!

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 12:50 PM

"Shows how much you know. I am not the person who posted that comment"

hmmm lets see if we can spot a pattern to out this moron,

"guess youre only looking at headliners and can't REACD fine print

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 10:51 AM"

"I am not EVENING going to Coachella"

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 12:34 PM

You fucking idiot.

"The 2001 shows I was refering to were the ones at LSP. I am simply saying the naysayers off APW have plenty of other oppurtunties to see Radiohead. Lollapalooza is a strong possibility if the lineup is good. Animal Collective? Been there, done that. Plus I doubt they will translate well in a big festival. Case in point: the South Street Seaport show. Kings of Lean are not my thing, and Underworld are touring with Radiohead.

All Points Weak."

I know what the 2001 show you were referring to was dummy. And yes there are opportunities to see Radiohead but for people on the east coast which is most of the people who read this blog most of the other places are going to be indoor stadiums like MSG with maybe one opener for the same price as one day of APW. I prefer the beautiful outdoor setting of LSP with a number of other bands opening which I do happen to like. Animal Collective at the seaport was a great show btw and most people felt that way. I am sure you can find the reviews of it on here and see for yourself. You did not like it and you do not like KOL that is fine. You are entitled to like what you want. Has nothing to do with the original statement. And yes as i said APW as a festival is weak. No question about it. As 2 nights of Radiohead with some great openers, you will not see a better show from them on this tour I wiil bet.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 12:56 PM

"If you just think of MSG as an echo chamber, you obviously never had a good seat there. I only go there if I manage to get floor seats not too far from stage, and it almost always sounds great. I saw The Who both at MSG and at a crowded festival. Compared to their show at MSG, I don't even consider the festival performance a proper concert experience."

This is just a ridiculously wrong statement. I have been to MSG and sat up close. Sound is not good. Yes of course it is better than further back but it is still shitty and echo filled.

And i guess it depends on what bands you like to decide which show will be a better experience. Radiohead for me and many others tops any band on the Coachella lineup.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 1:27 PM

The problem with APW is this:

It was promoted as a music festival, not as "Radiohead and some other bands."

Yes, it's always great seeing Radiohead live, but it's about time that the NY area gets a real music festival and this certainly is not it.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 1:44 PM

I am the the poster saying for me it was Radiohead and some other bands. I could not agree with your more Anon 1:44pm. It was promoted as a music fest and it is weak for that. And yes the NYarea needs a real one.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 1:52 PM

fuck it man, we get to see Radiohead TWICE! This means we will prob get at least 30-35 tracks between the two nights. That alone blows Coachella out of the water, when you think about it.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 1:53 PM

Funny thing is that I heard Prince was probably playing, as well.

Posted by Monklish | March 19, 2008 2:28 PM

Anonymous 12:05, the thing is that Kings of Leon and Animal Collective are not at all great bands.

ANYWAY, APW fails because it costs the same as Coachella but has only one big act per day. The previous two Coachellas were more consistently good, we all agree, but it still provides actual sub-headliners such as Verve, Raconteurs, Death Cab, Love & Rockets, and bands that will not be doing any other concerts in Amerika, like Portishead and Aphex Twin.

Radiohead fans are such pathetic whores that All Points West will still be a success because Radiohead and two other decent bands per day is more than enough to placate them. They would fly from all over the world to Woodstock 2009 or The Gathering of the Juggalos if Radiohead performed, because all a festival needs is Radiohead, and no matter how good or bad other bands are, they are of no consequence at all (what's that?).

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 3:06 PM

Monklish also "heard" that Coldplay would perform and that Black Kids and Justice would not pollute the lineup. Just sayin', bros.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 3:08 PM

Anyone who thinks the sound is bad at MSG might want to listen to my recordings of the White Stripes, Bjork, or Roger Waters at MSG -- all recorded from the middle sections of the floor (7 and 5).
Even my Springsteen recording from October, recorded from the 3rd row of the 300s sounds pretty damned good.
The Garden used to sound boomy, but that was a decade or more ago. There is now an excellent sound system with 2 huge stacks in the front of the stage that rain sonic bliss on all people who sit in the floor sections.

Posted by nyctaper | March 19, 2008 3:26 PM

"hmmm lets see if we can spot a pattern to out this moron,"

You want to be Sherlock Holmes, but you are looking more like Inspector Clouseau.

First you say I am Anon-11:44AM, and now you are saying I am Anon-10:51AM?!? Those two might be from the same two people, but I am neither. "reacd" was a typo, although it wasn't mine. Are you so desperate at trying to win an argument that you pick on a typo? My writing "evening" was more of a brainfart than a typo.

Waaaa, MSG sucks, waaaaaa, Boston sucks. Just be glad you have APW tickets, despite it being a crappy festival.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 4:17 PM

Couple of points to be made.

Monklish is an fool who has no inside info.

nyctaper i have in fact listened to your tapes with great pleasure but im sorry the sound at MSG in fact still sucks. You do the best you can with your recordings but i mean for example listen to the White Stripes you made. You can hear the boomy echo. It is all over the tape. I love what you do man but you are just wrong here. The Garden is a travesty when it comes to sound.

Anon 3:06pm dude you are just wrong about Portishead. They are in fact touring after Coachella. They just have not announced it yet. Aphex Twin who knows but i am not running to Cali to see Aphex Twin. And you say Radiohead fans are pathetic whores and Animal Collective and KOL are not good bands but yet you mention a stellar band like Death Cab for Cutie. Oh please just off yourself with that bullshit.

Anon 4:17pm awww do not be bitter cause you got caught moron. WAAAAA it was a typo and a brainfart. WAAAAA don't call me an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2008 4:32 PM

Just because the sound at MSG is tolerable from the floor doesn't mean it's good. Most people don't get to be on the floor and have to be up on the sides and for arena rock shows, you are lucky if you can decipher a single word of singing from these sections because the sound is so unlistenable.

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2008 4:24 AM

Actually, Portishead will not be touring Amerika after Coachella:

"From the official blog: "Our apologies to anybody disappointed by our recently announced tour not coming close to where you live. We know many cities are missing but we're unable to add more shows this year due to personal reasons. Hopefully we'll be able to get to Australia, New Zealand, the US and everywhere else we've missed at some point".

Unfortunately, Portishead has chosen only few countries to play in Europe for the promotion of their new album for this year. Many fans are disappointed about their decision to have a limited tour period but as Geoff Barrow says, this happens due to personal reasons which he doesn't specify.

Probably, these dates are not a "strict" tour but more like a vacation for them to get rest from their hard time releasing the album. The sure thing is that many people will be disappointed much more because they will have to wait for 2009 to see their band playing again in a location near them! And what about those people who were anxiously waiting Portishead to come in their country and suddenly realized that only few countries were included in their tour dates? (For example, Portishead are playing in Italy but not in the capital or in only one town as they have a "limited" tour but in Milan and Florence which is a very small town for a mini tour and they refused other main countries and important stations for their European tour such as Greece, Norway, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden and much more). Also, no US tour will follow but just a date in Coachella Festival in Indio.

I really hope you will get over your problems. We expect a lot from you!"

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2008 4:28 AM

prince was just added, officially this time. damn.

Posted by m | April 9, 2008 2:15 PM

Looks like I heard correctly.

Posted by Monklish | April 9, 2008 7:02 PM