Posted in music | pictures | venues on March 29, 2008

photos by Bryan Bruchman

Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field in Brooklyn is closing down, and this is sadly their final week of shows. Last night's show featured The A-Bones and special guests the Condo Fucks. Bryan Bruchman (aka Subinev) was there to document the action....

Magnetic Field

That was a fun show last night. Yes that is Mary Weiss in the picture towards the bottom. Got to meet her which was fucking awesome. Couple of things though.

From the earlier thread a big fuck you goes out to Lee from Magnetic Field who posted on there.

1) we all knew it was YLT so why keep up the charade you idiot.

2)Lee stating that the show was completely sold out and there would only be 15 tickets at the door. I do not know when that sold out sign on the door went up but i can tell you as i stated in the earlier thread. You could have walked up to the place and got in no problem. I went with 2 friends who did not have tickets around 8:45 and got in. I am guessing once YLT went on they put up that sign. But it was not like there was anyone outside clamoring to get in.

Aside from that it was a fun rocking show. If only magnetic fields had more bands like YLT playing then maybe they would not have to close

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 1:42 PM

gaylord fields?

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 1:48 PM

Does every Brooklyn-ite wish to be an Ohioan? Or does every buckeye wish to live in Brooklyn?

Posted by comoprozac | March 29, 2008 1:59 PM

"we all knew it was YLT so why keep up the charade you idiot."

relax man

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 2:03 PM

Is that a drunken Skippy?

Posted by hipster replacement | March 29, 2008 2:36 PM

yes. it is

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 2:50 PM

Those shots are bitchin' wide.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 4:03 PM

wow... WONDERFUL photos, bryan!!!

to anonymous,

1. the "charade" was so that the wonderful, sweet folks in YLT could play to our loyal friends and patrons, not a bunch of ungrateful schmucks who are too cool to have bothered with us for the past five years.

2. the sign went up at 7PM and our doorman was instructed to not let anyone in that wasn't on the will-call, will-buy or band's guest lists... except when some room was made after YLT's set ended around 10PM.

oh and feel free to email me directly with your name so i can be sure to put you on tonight's guest list--this way you can say 'fuck you' to my face and tell me what an idiot i am for having tried to run a cool club and give people a comfortable and fun place to dig music.

thanks for the love, yet again.

Posted by Lee Greenfeld (Magnetic Field) | March 29, 2008 4:22 PM

Wow,

These comments make me sad. YLT was nice enough to play a show as a toast to us. We try to keep it quite so our regulars over the past years could get in and then we get shit on.

Oh well, so much for the assholes.

I want to give a big thanks to YLT and The A-bones for an amazing tribute to our bar and our scene. Truly great and generous people. Thank you also to everyone who's walked through our doors and supported the scene we gave to our neighborhood. Thank you to all the blogs like this one for supporting us. Thank you Skippy for scoring us Voxtrot, The Lilys and introducing us to The Mugs. A huge thanks to my biz partner Lee for busting his ass for the last 5 years bringing the hood some fun!

XOXO
William / Dick Swizzle

Posted by William | March 29, 2008 4:26 PM

What time does Daft Punk go on tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 4:27 PM

Hey Dick & Lee, please don't let the psychotic troll (aka Anonymous 1:42) get to you. Thanks for 5 great years, even if I didn't make it out to Magnetic Field as much as I would have loved to!

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 4:31 PM

That anonymous comment is petty. And I do like the "where have you been the last five years" sign--I get it--but as someone who had patronized Magnetic Field, and then, after reading Lee's post yesterday, called in a favor to get out of work early, canceled Friday night plans to rush to get one of those 15 tickets, and enlisted a friend to travel from another neighborhood to meet me at 6:30, I was more than a little disappointed to hear that, despite what the post promised, there were in fact no tickets to be sold at 7pm.

Posted by Sean | March 29, 2008 4:33 PM

Cheers to Lee! Thanks for the good times.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 4:37 PM

i'd like to second william's thanks to skippy for booking some killer shows at MF, and continuing to do so over at union hall... as well as to thank YLT, the a-bones (and the hundreds of other bands who graced our stage), the DJs, and all of our friends, regulars, and the blogs like this very one who have always shown us love! and of course to william, the best, hardest working, most fun-loving business partner ever!!!

and to the "troll," a quote from sallust: "they envy the distinction i have won; let them therefore, envy my toils, my honesty, and the methods by which i gained it."

Posted by Lee Greenfeld (Magnetic Field) | March 29, 2008 4:40 PM

"canceled Friday night plans to rush to get one of those 15 tickets"

you had to know there was a risk you wouldn't get one of those 15 tickets when Yo La Tengo can sell out Webster Hall and Magnetic Fields holds about 100 people.

Posted by someone else | March 29, 2008 4:42 PM

I want to clarify: What bothered me wasn't that I got to the venue to find fifteen people in front of me; it's that there were zero tickets made available.

Whatever, c'est la vie and all that.

Posted by Sean | March 29, 2008 5:04 PM

sean,

i am sincerely sorry that you couldn't get in and you had cancelled your plans to try and make it down early... we really thought that there would be a few tickets still available; i wouldn't have posted that there was a possibility otherwise.

Posted by Lee Greenfeld | March 29, 2008 5:14 PM

To Lee and Mr Swizzle,

Fuck the trolls. You've run one of the most honest and enjoyable venues in New York. No fucking wonder you get acts like YLT (not to mention so many others).

Two nights left - they're gonna fuckin' rule.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 5:22 PM

I agree with Sean's sentiments. I, too, hung out at MF over the years, always had a great time. As a huge YLT fan, I got there just before 7 last night, and was disappointed. Not terribly surprised, but disappointed. (Partly my fault, I suppose - I had no idea advance tix were on sale til after they were off-sale.) Anyway, I figured it would be a long shot to get in, given the size of the club and YLT's popularity. And I was right. So I had a few beers across the street and moved on to other plans.

Bummer, yes, but you can't blame the club. Lee and everyone else, it's been fun.

Posted by chris | March 29, 2008 5:29 PM

I am the "psychotic" anon 1:42.
Let me just say a few things in response.

First of all William, i did not shit on you or your club. I was at the show last night if you can read and enjoyed it immensely. Not to mention the times i have been to your establishment in the past.

My FU was to lee for 2 things. Yes i understand that you were keeping it quiet about YLT in the days before the show and for obvious reasons. But thanks to this blog which you love so much and others as well it was widely reported days before the show that condo fucks was indeed YLT. At that point the show sold out. Do you think if it was not reported that Condo Fucks were YLT that the show would have still sold out? My point about the charade was yesterday you were still saying condo fucks when someone asked you when YLT was playing. I guess you were still trying to make it so the 15 tickets that were supposedly left would go to your loyal customers and not YLT fans.

And i dont know about the 7pm sign cause i didnt see it. But i did walk in at 8:45 with 2 friends who bought the tickets at that time. Guess I knew the guy at the door, huh.

I wont wade into the 15 ticket debacle anymore then to say you should not make statements if you are not sure that it can be backed up. But according to that lovely quote i should envy the honesty and the methods of which you gained it. Yeah that brand of honesty i can do without

Oh and my name is Charles Thompson so you can put me on the guest list tonite. See ya there.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 5:31 PM

hey did you guys hear that? Frank Black is gonna sing on Dagger God's cover of No. 13 Baby.

Posted by Bryan | March 29, 2008 5:46 PM

Dagger God = Fugazi?

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 5:48 PM

Bryan(subinev) I am sure you think you are a smart guy but there is more than one Charles Thompson in this world idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 5:51 PM

It was requested specifically by YLT themselves to be billed as the Condo Fucks, and for it not to be leaked otherwise. The advance sales did sell out but it appeared there would be more tickets available day of show.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 6:00 PM

ok my mistake then
but seriously, it'd be pretty cool if that was actually happening.

Posted by bryan | March 29, 2008 6:03 PM

I arrived too late for YLT (and the purported controversy over admissions) but the the vibe at Magnetic Field was electric for the A-Bones set and the post show dance party. I was disappointed to have missed YLT (can anyone post a set list?) but the exprience was memorable and moving (and fun and drunken and LOUD). I'm glad I was there.

(But whatever became of the Warhol Elvis?)

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2008 6:14 PM

Magnetic Field, where have you been for the last five years? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2008 7:39 AM

Charles, looks like you never showed up last night to use your guest list spot. All mouth; no trousers. No surprise.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2008 2:47 PM

The Warhol Elvis was actually a photo of William AKA Dick Swizzle. It used to be directly in front of you when you walked in the front door, and then you hung a left to go through a second door, I believe.

The original design of that place was incredible, the UFO attacking the wagon circle behind the bar was great, as were the cowgirl lights in the old diner booths they used to have.

Posted by PiningForTheChords | March 31, 2008 10:18 AM

Condo Fucks set:

Whatcha Gonna Do About It (Small Faces)
Accident (Electric Eels)
This Is Where I Belong (Kinks)
Shut Down (Beach Boys)
Shut Down, part II (Beach Boys)
With a Girl Like You (Troggs)
The Kids with the Replaceable Head (Richard Hell) w/A-Bones Bruce Bennett on guitar
Dog Meat (Flamin’ Groovies) w/Bennett
So Easy Baby (Zantees) w/Bennett and A-Bones Billy Miller singing
Come On Up (Young Rascals)
Gudbuy T’Jane (Slade)

Posted by anon | April 8, 2008 4:14 PM

Belgravia Villas has full and unique facilities, which includes a guard house, clubhouse, children's playground, swimming pool, piano room, pool room, indoor gym, hydrotherapy beds, hydrotherapy baths, reading room, function room, onsen, jacuzzi.
The condo’s facilities provide full family entertainment needs for your family and loved ones. Indulge in a serene and tranquil lifestyle right in the heart of Ang Mo Kio.

Posted by Belgravia Villas | March 26, 2013 3:27 AM

Several buses are available near Ecopolitan EC along with shopping centers and restaurants. Ecopolitan EC is also near Waterway Point, the shopping, dining and entertainment hub which is scheduled to open in 2 years time. Also, it is right beside Punggol Waterfront. Entertainment for your loved ones and friends are therefore at your fingertips with the full condo facilities as well as the amenities near Ecopolitan EC.

Posted by Ecopolitan | April 24, 2013 10:33 PM

For vehicle owners, it takes less than 25 minutes to drive to the business hub and vibrant Orchard Road shopping district via Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE).
A wonderful and unique lifestyle awaits you. Please see J Gateway project details and units available for more information.

Posted by Jurong East New Launch | May 15, 2013 2:39 AM

A wonderful and unique lifestyle awaits you. Please see Coral Edge Residences project details and floor plans for more information.
Thx

Posted by Coral Edge | June 1, 2013 10:22 PM

DUO Residences will be accessible via Bugis MRT station on the Circle Line. Commuting to Toa Payoh and Paya Lebar area as well as the city area is therefore very
convenient. It is also near to many eateries along the Bugis Heritage Area as well as the Bras Basah Area.

Posted by DUO Residences | June 6, 2013 1:37 AM

Several buses are available near Lush Acres EC along with shopping centers and restaurants. Lush Acres EC is also near Waterway Point, the shopping, dining and entertainment hub which is scheduled to open in 2 years time. Also, it is right beside Punggol Waterfront. Entertainment for your loved ones and friends are therefore at your fingertips with the full condo facilities as well as the amenities near Lush Acres EC.

Posted by Lush Acres | June 17, 2013 9:50 PM

Kensington Square will be accessible via Bartley MRT station on the Circle Line. Commuting to Toa Payoh and Paya Lebar area as well as the city area is therefore very convenient. It is also near to many eateries along the Upper Serangoon area as well as NEX shopping mall.

Posted by Kensington Square | July 3, 2013 6:58 AM

Skypark Residences is also near elite schools such as Singapore American School, Wellington Primary School, Canberra Primary School and Endeavour Primary School.
It is also near to Singapore Sports School and Innova Junior College.

Posted by Sky Park Residences | July 10, 2013 6:47 AM

This blog impressed me and exceeded my expectations. You know how to involve a reader and increase his curiosity to read more. Congratulations.

Posted by Corals Floor Plan | July 23, 2013 4:39 AM

Blogs are great way to connect people and provide useful information. Well, you are able to achieve that in your blog post. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Posted by TP180 Floor Plans | August 2, 2013 1:58 AM