Posted in music | tour dates on March 18, 2008

the Ting Tings @ SXSW 2008 (CRED)
The Ting Tings @ SXSW

Yes, the flyer you saw on this site, on MySpace, in emails and elsewhere said that the Ting Tings were playing the free BrooklynVegan party this past Thursday morning at 11:30 am (early, I know). Yes, the mass "Free Yr Radio" text message I sent out that morning said to get there on time to see the Ting Tings. Yes, the Ting Tings even showed up.....that WAS them (and their many handlers) you saw standing in and around Emo's Annex with their gear and on stage somewhat ready to go. And YES, that's correct - they didn't end up playing, and yes that was their van you saw driving off into the distance at around 11:20. Why? According to them, "there was a time issue". According to me....well, it doesn't really matter what I think, so I'll just say I'm sorry on behalf of everyone involved. Tour dates below....

No Tings

Apr 11 - Spring & Airbrake 14+ Belfast
Apr 12 - Village 14+ Dublin
Apr 13 - King Tuts 14+ Glasgow
Apr 15 - Fibbers 14+ York
Apr 16 - ULU London
Jul 13 - T in the Park ?, Scotland

They're tragically shit anyway, why someone would pay to see these self obsessed retards is beyond comprehension, they're so fucking stuck up and arrogant its untrue. But why? they stink I can't work it out.

Posted by Ash | March 18, 2008 2:53 PM

I'm stuck up and arrogant. That's why I wanna see 'em.

KACHING! KACHING!

Posted by GOPster | March 18, 2008 2:56 PM

Them not playing was the best show i saw at SXSW

Posted by Anonymous | March 18, 2008 3:09 PM

i have no fucking clue who the tings tings are but they sound annoying as fuck

Posted by Anonymous | March 18, 2008 3:10 PM

When you cancel one advertised show (Boston, MA) to play another for free (Merc Lounge) and you can't even get people to come without offering free tickets, you know you are doing something right!

Posted by Anonymous | March 18, 2008 3:11 PM

I wish they would have cancelled the show the previous night at Buffalo Billiards. I was unlucky enough to catch that unintentionally. The show was filled with the over-40 who's who promoters jerking off all over the understaffed band's bathroom-break set. Them cancelling shows almost creates interest.

Posted by Anonymous | March 18, 2008 3:23 PM

Dude, I hope for your sake that you don't write for a living.

Posted by Anonymous | March 18, 2008 3:27 PM

Merc show isn't free kiddo.

Posted by GOPster | March 18, 2008 3:28 PM

Posted by Anonymous | March 18, 2008 3:30 PM

GOPster...The Ting Tings are giving away free tickets to tonight's show. On their MySpace page.

Posted by Anonymous | March 18, 2008 3:32 PM

How were Clipd Beaks?

Posted by Anonymous | March 18, 2008 3:33 PM

GOPster

Actually they are giving away free tickets. 30 of em. Not 2. 30. Thats 30 out of what 200? Assuming they even sell that much.

Posted by Anonymous | March 18, 2008 3:34 PM

"These guys were supposed to be your headliners? "

yes, the headliners were supposed to go on at 11:30 AM.

Posted by brooklynvegan | March 18, 2008 3:48 PM

"These guys were supposed to be your headliners? Wow. It's really too bad I missed SXSW. All those shitty bands no one's ever heard of together at last in one city."

oh man, so many moronic things packed into just one comment.

Posted by Anonymous | March 18, 2008 3:56 PM

I had to deal with this band during SXSW as well, and I can attest to the douchetastic nature of their major label entourage.

Posted by Anonymous | March 18, 2008 4:12 PM

This band are a waste of time, I saw them live supporting The Cribs and I kid you not, a lot of people in the crowd were actually laughing. When she came out in that hat of hers and he had shades on it looked like H&M had spunked over their emotionless faces......word.

Posted by Denver | March 18, 2008 5:38 PM

Oh cool, this band was supposed to play Boston tonight.

Not anymore

So lame.

Posted by Anonymous | March 18, 2008 6:32 PM

they bailed because they were insecure.

Posted by pugatch | March 18, 2008 8:25 PM

big fucking deal - so what! They cancelled. Get over it.

Posted by op | March 20, 2008 5:24 AM

for posterity..

Top three SXSW disappointments--
Matt
1. Not having enough time to see all of the shows I wanted to.
2. The dead time between day shows and night shows when there's no music and it's as difficult to find a spot for dinner as it is to hail a cab in Manhattan during the 4:30pm cab driver shift change.
3. So many bros and girls gone wild wannabes and people yearning to find "cool"; off-the-charts levels of douchebaggery on the streets. People disgust me.
Mike
1. The Lemonheads canceled TWO shows on Friday, the first of which I stood in line for a half hour beforehand and the second I walked a good 20 minutes to see.
2. That strange "witching hour" in between day shows and night shows where it seems like none of the bars serve alcohol and you're forced to walk around 6th Street like a zombie waiting for things to start up again.
3. Waking up early to see the Ting Tings on Thursday, only to have them stand there for a while and decide not to go on.

Posted by brooklynvegan | April 3, 2008 7:51 PM

for posterity part 2

One of the bands I didn't get a chance to catch at SXSW was The Ting Tings. I actually got up and into town to see them at 11:30 one morning after getting a text from Brooklyn Vegan, saying they were playing his party and going on at that time "sharp". Once I got there, I found the venue unopened and watched some bouncers arguing with some kids over something silly. I split to grab some breakfast with friends, and later found out The Ting Tings didn't play at all.

Posted by brooklynvegan | April 3, 2008 7:53 PM

The Ting Tings to be iPod commericial stars. They thank SXSW:

----
Subject: We got the itune/ipod advert ! yeahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Body: Itunes have selected "Shut
Up and Let me Go" as the song in their new advert, so apparently we are
all over American television.

It's on Youtube here

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=zcGD9J3pEtU

and on the Apple site here
http://www. apple. com/itunes

Its really exciting, we love the ipod adverts, they look great. Its really funny how we got it...we played south by south west in Austin ,Texas and I fainted onstage. We had another gig an hour later and we almost pulled out of it because I was so ill. We managed to play three songs and by the last one I was shaky again but apple loved it. We so nearly didn't play that gig.

So glad we did now ( :

anyway, sat in the tour bus outside the hotel, we played a gig for mtv last night and had a great show. Off to do a show in Liverpool now.

Katiex