Posted in metal | music | pictures | video on March 13, 2008

Michael Stipe (REM) @ SXSW 2008 - Mar 12, 2008 (retnablog)
rem at sxsw

Lemmy (Motorhead) @ SXSW 2008 - Mar 13, 2008 (KK+)
motorhead at sxsw

I couldn't go to R.E.M. @ Stubb's last night because it was happening at the same time as my own official showcase. I couldn't go to Motorhead @ Stubb's today because of my day party. Instead I just watched the videos below....

REM - Fall On Me @ Stubbs in Austin, TX, SXSW (March 12, 2008)

Motorhead - Metropolis @ Stubbs, Austin, TX (March 13, 2008)

REM - Second Guessing @ Stubbs in Austin, TX, SXSW (March 12, 2008)

Motorhead Scion car driving around SXSW (The Syndicate)
Motorhead

SXS-Zzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2008 11:36 PM

"SXS-Zzzzzzzzzzzz......."

You've obviously never gone.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2008 11:41 PM

exactly, don't care that you missed a seasoned band! I want to hear what made you excited!! Who's the band that rocked your soul in Texas! Who gave you goosebumps?

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2008 12:12 AM

No, cut 11:36 a break. This fucking festival isn't the second coming of Christ or anything. I wish people would stop acting like this one event is such a big deal. 95% of the bands that 'get in' are bands no one ever sees or hears about -- I think it's completely over-hyped, regardless of B.V.'s (and other labels/blogs/whatevers) showcase involvement. The fact that people set up showcases and know months in advance that all their bands will be involved -- I guess I just wish they didn't act like it's a 'privilege' to be selected.

Posted by Mr. Frowny Pants | March 14, 2008 1:12 AM

^Have you been?

I mean, no it's not the second coming of Christ, but as someone who attended the last two years and who is a music lover, party lover, and alcohol lover, I'd have to say every bit of my experience in Austin at SXSW was really fucking fun and great.

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2008 1:30 AM

Yeah, the REM show was excellent and SXSW is a total blast for people who like live music. It really doesn't matter what you're into, it will be showcased in abundance at SXSW. Yes, you won't see most of the bands - there are hundreds playing - but if you're not too much of a comments troll you can probably climb out of your cave and have an extremely good time. Today I saw Two Gallants, Spoon, The Evangelicals, Bon Iver and Islands after seeing about seven and REM last night. Yes, the showcasing sucks for real independent bands (the Wrens were denied 5 years in a row before being selected) but it's still good for people who just love live music.

Posted by Jimbo | March 14, 2008 2:24 AM

if i were throwing your party i would have totally blown it off to see motorhead

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2008 11:21 AM

Miss Motorhead? How could you!?!?! Especially with High on Fire supporting. Just wrong...

Posted by Ron | March 14, 2008 11:30 AM

trick question dick...lemmy is god

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2008 3:58 PM

I`ve been going to sxsw for years and it bores me too. Its fucking showcases... no one even has time to feel it and seeing your looser neighors trying to be hipster for two weeks in a country or city they never go to, bores me... I like Austin, I go there regularely, there's a lot of shit going on without the festival...Personnaly, I much rather be at noise pop in the middle of San Francisco where people don't show up looking like total tourists trying to fit in a city they don't get.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2008 12:49 PM

Thanks for posting up the Motörhead stuff!

Posted by Jimmy | March 15, 2008 1:32 PM

REM still rocks. they always stayed weird, and didn't give a fuck if they sold records or not. one of the last of the old school american bands who kept their boho-cred. unlike many of their contemporaries. seriously, they make U2 look like, well, U2.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2008 10:28 PM