Posted in music | venues on April 14, 2008

205

East Villagers who loathe Le Souk have reason to party: After much deliberation, the SLA has cancelled the club's liquor license. The owners can apply for a new one, but let's face it, they've got their work cut out for them. In another long-in-the-works case, 205 -- one of the only downtown spots where you can dance on the legal -- had its license revoked, meaning the owners won't be able to seek a new one.

The authority also put the kiss of death on Stereo, fining it $15,000 to boot. Le Souk and 205 are still open for business at the moment -- it takes the authority a few days to physically seize a venue's license, and its decision can be reconsidered upon request or fought in court (as in the case of Death and Co.). Nevertheless, it may be the last days of disco for these venues. [NY Magazine]

UPDATE: According to many, these bars are still currently severing liquor.

Tags: 205

i went there once...people were smoking crack (or meth?)...classy

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 6:40 PM

where?

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 6:55 PM

ah sorry...205

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 7:03 PM

Le Souk & its crowd were a blight on the (my) neighborhood.

Goodbye!

Ps. If you have to re-open, I hear Greenwich Village is nice...

Posted by Avenue B | April 14, 2008 7:30 PM

Avenue B, how the fuck is the east village "your" neighborhood?

get over yourself you fucking terd

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 7:38 PM

it's turd...not terd.

and mr. east village, greenwich village has more political clout than yr crap hole...no club will get a greenlight here.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 8:00 PM

is it for real this time? when i asked about it a couple of saturdays ago, 205 peeps said they still had their license...

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 8:01 PM

"i went there once...people were smoking crack (or meth?)...classy"

Those are hookahs, you dumbass.

Also anybody who complains about any type of venue, club, bar in their neighborhood should move the fuck out of NYC. This city used to be a much better place before people like you started moving here.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 8:52 PM

I am glad to see Stereo and 205 go along with hopefully The Box and the other dreks on that block. Assholes trying to put up velvet ropes and make some bullshit club scene in the east village.

As for Le Souk well i hope that doesnt go. I have picked up and fucked so many girls from that place.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 9:12 PM

Le Souk?

I didn't even know the place existed. I actually feel kind of proud about that.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2008 7:59 AM

yeah, only real fuckhouse whores go to le souk.

Posted by franklin | April 15, 2008 8:50 AM

Le Souk has been around for a while, there were some nites where it was great. Downstairs was a little small, but I did have fun there.

I never ate there upstairs.

I will always love that neighborhood, I don't think
any of these places losing their license or closing really will change much.

Thats the beauty of NYC, even when a landmark leaves, we find great ways to find a new one.

Posted by Mark R. | April 15, 2008 9:47 AM

le suck

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2008 10:29 AM

what time does daft punk lose their liquor license?

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2008 10:44 AM

You can't even walk around the East Village and LES thurs - sat night without tripping over a pile of puking frat boys. Get the velvet rope bullshit out of these neighborhoods now!

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2008 11:13 AM

O'DOYLE RULES!

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2008 1:53 PM

Posted by confused | April 15, 2008 3:27 PM

"nothing better than an article with false information except maybe a blog that runs it 10 days later as relevant news. step up your game kids"

What is the latest info?

It's true I didn't realize the article was 10 days old when I posted it. Someone asked me if I heard 205 losts it's liquor license, so I searched, saw that article and assumed that the combo of my friend and NY Mag must have known what they were talking about.

Updated.

Posted by brooklynvegan | April 15, 2008 3:40 PM

"Those are hookahs, you dumbass."

unless somebody invented a 4-inch cylindrical glass hookah without me knowing, it was definitely crack.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 9:20 AM

"My brother's restaurants (Mama's, Mama Bar, Step Mamas, Etc) were over there throughout the changes duing the early 90's and now he sold it and even if it left, I don't think much would change."

Mama's and Mama's Bar are awesome. They aren't going, are they?!

Posted by Sha-na-na-nonymous | April 17, 2008 12:02 PM