Posted in music on April 3, 2008

Beach House @ Bowery Ballroom, NYC - Apr 2, 2008 (Ryan Muir / Metromix)
Beach House @ Bowery Ballroom

"Went to this show last night. Papercuts, perhaps the most boring live show I've ever seen." [Anon]

"papercuts were absolutely awful" [Jason]

"beach house was bad. papercuts were the worst live band i've ever seen." [Jason again]

"I thought beach house was great. maybe you never heard like their records?" [Anon]

"Papercuts were all right. Beach House was excellent." [Eduardo]

Luke Temple was the best by far.

Posted by Anon | April 3, 2008 3:51 PM

Bradford Cox was there

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 3:56 PM

Not Beach House's best night. Their records are still some of the best out there... so chill people!

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 3:56 PM

Luke Temple definitely stole the show. his new songs sounded amazing. he should have been the headliner. Beach House sound great on your ipod in small doses, but it is a little difficult for them to carry a sold-out show at the Bowery Ballroom as the headliner. there just wasn't enough diversity in their song palette after a while.

Posted by BeachMouse | April 3, 2008 3:59 PM

One needed to look no further than the bored, blank faces in the crowd to see how much of a buzz kill this show was.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:00 PM

Not to mention all the conversation going on in the crowd as well.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:03 PM

i thought beach house was amazing

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:04 PM

yeah, saw bradford there and one of the guys from grizzly bear was there as well. omg.

Posted by jason | April 3, 2008 4:05 PM

I wasn't invited so I stayed home.

Posted by anonymous2 | April 3, 2008 4:06 PM

I heard a lot of talking for Papercuts but none during Beach House tho.

Phosphorescent's Matthew was there too.

Posted by Eduardo | April 3, 2008 4:06 PM

thom yorke was there too

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:10 PM

that beach house record is one of the WORST hyped albums I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot of bad, hyped shit since I've started reading music blogs. really really boring shit, you indie rock people need to pull your heads out of your asses and listen to some Sonics or something, I don't know. shit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:13 PM

so was daft punk...is everybody blind?!?!?! how could nobody notice those 2 glowing robots in the crowd?

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:14 PM

vanilli was there.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:16 PM

why isn't anybody talking about how hideous the MMJ cover-art is??!?!?!?! it's vomit-inducing bad.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:17 PM

That's funny. I thought it was a great fucking show, Beach House and Papercuts both included.

And Grizzly Bear sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:18 PM

anon @ 4:18 is just jealous Radiohead didn't ask his shitty band to go on tour with them....

thems the brakes anon!

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:20 PM

The show definitely started at the top and worked it's way down as the evening progressed. I enjoyed the hair-flailing but not the cheesy casio beats. I do think she's got a great voice, but you definitely get the sense of I've heard one song, I've heard them all. Luke Temple is great! I never tire of his show.

Posted by anon | April 3, 2008 4:21 PM

I AM THOM YORKE

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:21 PM

Luke Temple sounded like a fucking moron.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:23 PM

Some asshole kept farting somewhere in front of me. This was the only thing keeping me awake during Papercuts.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:23 PM

thom yorke is just another talking head wannabe. speaking of, aren't they getting back together?

Posted by iaintnoradiohead | April 3, 2008 4:35 PM

4:23, that was me farting! Does this count as a missed connection?

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:35 PM

it looks like luke and his band have taken to posting anonymously on brooklyn vegan

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 4:54 PM

Luke Temple was as boring as hell; nice touch on his part to come hang out in the crowd after his set and try and pick up some ladies with his rock-star appeal. Anyone that was totally digging that dude, be it his game or his music, needs to re-evaluate.

The sound was terrible during Papercuts, plus they only played 2 songs off Can't Go Back, bad idea.

I thought they sounded good, but Victoria from Beach House is excruciatingly annoying on-stage.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 5:01 PM

yes, luke temple was the only one last night who was any good. i like beach house albums (although they *are* hyped way out of proportion to merit) but it was a chore watching them on stage, victoria's voice was drowned out most of the time, and her "jokes" were excruciating.

papercuts were awful, too.

Posted by y tu mama tabien | April 3, 2008 5:31 PM

Were those jokes?

Posted by Eduardo | April 3, 2008 5:43 PM

I would say the poor sound during Papercuts really hindered their set. You could tell they were annoyed with it, and that definitely affected the way they played. They really are a good band otherwise.
I don't understand the liking for Luke Temple. Him and his band were boring, and the few lyrics I cared to listen to sounded terrible. He also came into the crowd after the completion of his set and began hitting heavily on girls ten years younger than him.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2008 5:52 PM

yeah, Luke temple is probably what?........ approaching 60? If those weren't his daughters he was slobbering all over something needs to be done!! and if anyone payed close enough attention I think he has two prosthetic legs! eeewwwhhh!!!

Posted by anonymous | April 3, 2008 7:26 PM

The bass player from Papercuts was/is sooo creepy.

Posted by Anonymous | April 4, 2008 2:29 AM

I mean, anybody who saw Papercuts and Beach House can understand what Luke was up to... If you have to endure 2.5 hours of that boredom after your set, why not try and pull some ass to kill time?

Posted by Anonymous | April 4, 2008 12:00 PM

Oh I thought it was a great show all around! Beach house is lovely. Papercuts did have some issues with the sound but they were solid. Tough crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2008 10:48 AM

Man, I absolutely loved reading your blogpost. You have convinced me to subscribe to your blog, but where can I find the RSS feed?

Posted by jocuri | September 3, 2012 3:16 AM