Posted in music | pictures | video on April 14, 2008

Deerhunter @ Market Hotel, Brooklyn, NY - April 11, 2008 (A Year of Hyperliving)
Deerhunter @ Market Hotel

Deerhunter opened their set Friday night with a cover of Pylon's "Cool". Video below...

Deerhunter | NYC @ Market Hotel | Apr 11th, 2008

Deerhunter in Bushwick, Brooklyn, NY @ Market Hotel performing their upcoming album at a semi secret show on April 11th, 2008
Listen to the original at Pylon's MySpace.

side note: Bradford's alter ego Atlas Sound didn't actually play the show. My friend Nick says nobody expected Atlas Sound to play after they revealed it was a Deerhunter show. I said I expected them both to play since that's how I thought it was originally listed. Not that it mattered. Especially by the time Deerhunter finished their (late) set.

*crickets chirping*

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 1:33 AM

this sounds pretty great.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 1:52 AM

i agree.

Posted by Trevor | April 14, 2008 2:21 AM

Where's Ryan Schreiber? I thought he provided backup vocals....

Posted by Jesus H. Christ | April 14, 2008 2:25 AM

awesome. the show was great (for those who actually didn't complain....that a show went late....on a friday night....)

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 8:05 AM

Cool video, but the audio quality is kinda lacking.

Posted by SAK | April 14, 2008 8:38 AM

Posted by un:art:ig | April 14, 2008 8:59 AM

needless to say I had mic levels checked at all times.

Posted by un:art:ig | April 14, 2008 9:11 AM

but then again it's friggin' youtube so who gives a flying fart about quality in the first place, haha.

Posted by un:art:ig | April 14, 2008 9:12 AM

I think it sounds okay, given the normal standard of audience-shot youtube stuff.. You got any more footage from the gig, un:art:ig?

Posted by Dermot | April 14, 2008 9:13 AM

For anyone who cares, Pitchfork was at the show videotaping for Pitchfork.tv, so a nicer quality vid/aud should be up on the internets at some point in the next few months.

Also, imo, the Deerhunter portion of this show was really great and any fans should be looking forward to the new album.

Posted by Jeffrey Beaumont | April 14, 2008 10:17 AM

Sadly, it wasn't worth soaking in cigarette smoke for 5 hours while being subjected to what appeared to be Todd P's entire stable of loft show filler bands.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:37 AM

anon 11:37

W.O.R.D.

Posted by un:art:ig | April 14, 2008 10:44 AM

^^ Agreed. The sound, smoke, and time were too much. You can't photoshop the smoke out of those photos.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:46 AM

How soon you all forget that not very long ago and for time immemorial smoke was a part of every show. Smoke free shows still don't feel right (even as a non-smoker).

Video reminds me how great those Pylon shows were last year.

Posted by x_x | April 14, 2008 10:54 AM

Though there's also something about smoke filled shows in venues with no ventilation that don't fill quite right either.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:15 AM

wahhhhhhhh! a late night show! wahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

you saw there were 5 bands - you saw it started at 930 - why didn't you show up later if you knew it was such a problem?

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:19 AM

and it's not like you HAD to get there for all 5 bands like a typical todd p show anyway......you HAD a ticket! you could've shown up whenever the fuck you wanted. that complain is ridiculous.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:20 AM

5 Bands = necessary? I think everyone agrees it would have been a much better show if Deerhunter would've played earlier and people smoke outside.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:22 AM

deerhunter fucking killed it.
the new album is going to be amazing.
end of story.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:24 AM

Actually I didn't know there were 5 bands because initially only A.I.D.S.Wolf was confirmed. God what a stupid name.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:25 AM

Deerhunter asked all the bands to play themselves. They're all their old friends.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:26 AM

Fair enough.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:31 AM

the band was previewing new material, and they wanted to play a party. I'm sure they chose to stack the bill and play late after everyone was wasted so they wouldn't have to worry as much if the new songs were still rough around the edges.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:38 AM

Aids Wolf: Y.E.S.S.S.
Deerhunter: hmm
Rest: no

if deerhunter wanted to play a party they should've gotten on the stage at Rubulad on saturday.

Posted by un:art:ig | April 14, 2008 11:48 AM

loft show filler bands? those openners are all pretty popular, successful bands.

Knyfe Hyts is Ex Models in a different configuration

Rings has records out on Paw Tracks and is Avey Tare's sister's band. They open for Black Dice and Animal Collective a lot.

Aids Wolf headlines shows all the time

Golden Triangle is popular in the garage scene and is made uip of the people who run Live With Animals gallery and who book a lot of the shows at Glasslands, plus they're old friends of Deerhunter's from Atlanta. They get asked to open shows for Black Lips, Jay Reatard, etc.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:53 AM

incodentally Rubulad got intensely shut down by the cops on Saturday. All the organizers went to jail.

This is the first time that's happenned to that party in the 15 years they've been doing it.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:55 AM

LOL @ anon 11:53 calling those bands "successful"

should have had one opener and then deerhunter.

nuff said

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:58 AM

anyone have any more info on the rubulad shut down??

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:59 AM

I heard that Silent Barn got shut down over the weekend as well. Does anybody know about that?

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:59 AM

11:58, well you're not Deerhunter and that's not what they wanted.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 12:02 PM

I was at rubulad when it got shut down. this seems to happen more frequently lately as this was at least the 3rd time over the last 6 months. Nothing special though. the cops were rather calm, most of them (the ones I saw) had a random smile on their face.

I doubt that anybody involved with the party went to jail. The arrest that I saw was most likely for substance abuse.

Posted by un:art:ig | April 14, 2008 12:05 PM

12:05, doesn't have the whole story. This wasn;t just cops writign a couple of tickets.

they arrested all the principal Rubulad organizers this time. It was a sting by undercover cops who showed up in random unmarked cars, then called in a bunch of uniformed cops to shut it down and arrest a lot of people. I don't know in Sari herself got hauled in but the rest sure did.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 12:10 PM

"I agree about the sound but have no clue as to why it didn't come out better. have shot from the exact same position before with fine results (genghis tron). maybe it is time for a new mic, even though the sound came out great once I moved to the back. weird."

If you were close up, ie on stage, that would explain the sound. The instruments sound good but the vocals suck. That is because you were getting the instruments off the amps that were behind you but the vocals were coming out of the PA that was in front of you.

Posted by x | April 14, 2008 12:24 PM

So Colin Mee is once again not playing with Deerhunter?

Posted by mp77 | April 14, 2008 12:36 PM

Yes, I've seen Rubulad get shut down many, many times. Never seen anyone get actually arrested, though. There were a ton of cop cars outside (7 or 8?), plus paddywagon, and a bunch of unmarkeds.

Posted by Jesse | April 14, 2008 1:36 PM

this was more serious than their usual shut downs

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 2:00 PM

on a more topic related note:

May one think of the opening bands what one wants, I sure as shit hope the summer season will see less packed bills at Market Hotel. Friday wasn't an overly hot day and still the temperatures inside (close to the stage) were beyond boiling. By the end of the night I felt sick from the heat. As far as I am concerned the heat is bearable for like 3 bands or so. Anything beyond that = not funny. but hey, maybe I' m just to old for this shit...

Posted by un:art:ig | April 14, 2008 2:02 PM

hey, if the famous headliner wants a 5 band bill, they get 5 band bill.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 2:11 PM

anon 2:00

may I ask what your source is? like I said before, it didn't look any different or worse from previous shut downs. but I only saw what was going on in the Cabaret Room which was nothing out of the ordinary in terms of 'the man' rolling in. the scene on the street looked like any other shut down too. upstairs cops were relatively polite, which in my book is fascinating enough as I am not used to such non-threatening police attitude.

Posted by un:art:ig | April 14, 2008 2:15 PM

I guess 5 bands is fine if loft shows are your scene (and you can handle the smoke and lack of ventilation). Personally, I just wanted Deerhunter to play so I could get to a gay bar.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 2:51 PM

I won't be crying if Rubulad is shut down; that place sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 3:01 PM

I neverf go to Rubulad, but if the po po are shutting that down, after letting it go for years and years, than what's next?

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 3:05 PM

The "secret location" thing wasn't cute. If a show's at Market Hotel, I'd like to be warned. Possibly by a note from the Surgeon General.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 3:09 PM

^^^
you a cop.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 3:14 PM

3:09, you're such a victim

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 3:15 PM

agreed. if cops are shutting down Rubulad then they might be hitting the diy rock spaces next

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 3:26 PM

It was like getting coal in my stocking.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 4:11 PM

I love the vibe and the people involved with putting on the shows there as well as the fact that they open up their living space to wasted friends and strangers...but the new nickname for Market Hotel should be Marlboro Hotel. Hell...I'm a smoker and I couldn't take it. Can you imagine actually LIVING THERE?!? By the time the air clears out, it's show/smoketime again.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 4:13 PM

HOW LONG BEFORE THE MARKET HOTEL GETS BUSTED? HEY WHY DOESNT DEERHUNTER GET ANOTHER GUITAR PLAYA SO BRADFORD DOESNT HAVE TO BE CHAINED BEHIND AN AXE

Posted by POPEYE | April 14, 2008 4:53 PM

(sniff!) makes this GA boy proud

Posted by roarryan | April 14, 2008 5:29 PM

Two words, roarryan: GENERAL SHERMAN!

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 6:14 PM

best show i've seen this year so far

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2008 12:20 AM

Pretty nice setup for a rap concert last night. They had a half court set up on stage. Jay-Z (and friends) ripped through all the hits. All the while LeBron just keep doing slam dunks in the background. Dude must have done 178 slam dunks the entire night. It was nonstop during the entire performance.

Posted by lily | May 28, 2009 8:10 AM

Yep what.s good for the goose is good for the gander. Great idea.

Posted by lv | October 17, 2009 9:29 AM

You are wonderful my friend
Thank you for this topic http://www.kw-girl.com

Posted by بنت الكويت | October 23, 2009 3:25 AM

It was a good setup for a rap concert lily

Posted by bulldog training | January 11, 2010 5:49 PM

It does sound pretty good.

Posted by Make Money Online | January 15, 2010 9:16 PM

exceptionally good might i add

Posted by husky training | January 20, 2010 6:40 PM

As always, you've written an amazing post that answered some of our questions lol :D

Posted by Husky Training | February 2, 2011 5:27 AM

Our team of professionals provides our clients with a very convenient one-stop opportunity for their Mississauga real estate needs. Our team includes: a professional photographer, a professional writer, stager, assistants, competent lawyers, experienced mortgage lenders and brokers, invaluable home inspectors, trustworthy renovators and handyman and the list goes on. Call us today to discuss your real estate goals.

Posted by Real Estate Oakville | June 28, 2013 6:55 AM