Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on April 10, 2008

Dirty Projectors in DC (Lexie Moreland / BrightestYoungThings)
Dirty Projectors

Throughout the set, Longstreth's seemingly improvised intros reminded me of Captain Beefheart's deliberate but dissonant explorations of delta-blues guitar rhythms. But with a progressive-punk sensibility. When combined with sparse but potent drum fills and splashes, and the girls' interwoven harmonies, the songs had an almost gospel-like tinge to them. It was as if they should have been playing at an AA meeting in a Cathedral. Nonetheless they held the Cat's audience spiritually captive for their hour-plus long set. Following some real barn-burners and foot-stompers, I couldn't help but jot to myself: "This guy wails!" And he did. And so did my Monday night (April 7). [BrightestYoungThings]
I went to the show last night at Music Hall of Williamsburg (Wednesday, April 9, 2008). There's nothing to say I haven't said before (I think I said that before though). I loved every second of it. They played some new songs. More tour dates below....

Dirty Projectors - 2008 Tour Dates
May 7 - Paradiso Amsterdam
May 8 - Nouveau Casino Paris
May 10 - ATP v pitchfork festival camber sands, East
May 11 - Les Nuits de Botanique Brussels
May 12 - De Kreun kortrijk
May 30 - primavera sound barcelona

Has anyone compared, in print or online, the Dirty Projectors to the great Matador band from the 1990s, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282? When I first saw DP a year ago, TFUL282 was the first band that came to mind....

Posted by TFUL282 fan | April 10, 2008 11:46 AM

ARENT THEY PLAYING PITCHFORK?

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 11:46 AM

was last night sold out?

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:04 PM

It seemed pretty full to me. Couldn't really get into the new stuff, but their songs usually take a few plays. It's bizarre how influential Paul Simon's Graceland has become.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:14 PM

ABSOLUTELY SOLD OUT.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:15 PM

they ripped off Black Flag, do something original trust fund kids

Posted by Art School Dropouts | April 10, 2008 12:15 PM

It was sold out and totally rocking.

Also, No Kids BOMBED. Not good, not good at all.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:16 PM

I wouldn’t say they “ripped off” Black Flag – more like borrowed. And yes, unfortunately No Kids weren’t so good, but overall it was goodtimes last night. It sold out at the door.

Posted by Liz | April 10, 2008 12:24 PM

See i was not going to say anything but this is what pisses me off about Dirty Projectors fans. They cannot get it through their heads that how many albums in, this band is just not connecting with a larger audience. THIS SHOW WAS SO NOT SOLD OUT. Please go fuck yourselves. They still had plenty of tickets on ticketmaster as of yesterday morning and someone i know went to the show last night without a ticket and bought one at the door.

The report i got today was that it was crowded but not even close to the number of people who were at Hot Chip the other night.

I mean if you want to like this band then go ahead and be i the small minorty(oh right, the rest of us dont get it) but don't outright make up lies.

That is lame.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:24 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:27 PM

here we go again

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:27 PM

"It sold out at the door."

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:29 PM

I was there at 8 and told it was sold out

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:30 PM

No Kids = No Good

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:30 PM

Upon my arrival, at 9:30, the show was SOLD OUT.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:31 PM

"anon 12:24... How do you know there were still "plenty of tickets on Ticketmaster in the morning"? Agreed, the show sold out later on in the day, but there were a TON of people trying to get tickets at the door, and a bunch were turned away. I waited for an hour outside before I finally was able to procure one.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:27 PM"

Well first of all i know they had tickets at Ticketmaster in the morning cause i was curious and tried to get a ticket and was able to get one. The show did not sell out later in the day as ticketmaster takes their tickets off later in the same day of the show. Even though i was not there last night i am gonna call bullshit on you saying there were a ton of people trying to get tickets outside. Sorry I trust my friend more than you and he walked up no problem to the box office and bought a ticket.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:32 PM

there is one dude who frequents here who REALLY Loves to give DP a hard time. Give it up dude, they have fans. They may not be "mainstream" but they can sell out shows.

I'm not even a fan but I find your comments utterly uncalled for

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:32 PM

^^^Apparently not in nyc they cant
Bowery
Knitting Factory
MHOW

All no sell outs.

And trust me dude, it is more than one person on here. They have fans no doubt but not that many

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:36 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:32 PM

I agree that they did have tickets on Ticketmaster in the morning- I was just curious as to know how you knew there were "plenty" left, as per your first post.

I could care less if you "trust me" or not, I'm saying that when I arrived at 8:30 I was told the show was sold out, and there was a crowd outside trying to get tickets. Luckily after an hour of standing out there, I finally got one.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:38 PM

a friend needed to get one yesterday night and couldn't - it was most certainly sold out .

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:40 PM

Well Anon 12:24, this is what really pisses ME off about you and your obnoxious kind on the BV comment boards. Two of my friends were turned away at the box office around 9:30 because the show was, wait for it... SOLD OUT. So, to borrow from your font of wisdom, go fuck YOURSELF. Or, at least go find something better to do than crow "liar liar pants on fire" over a show you didn't even attend.

As for the "larger audience" and Hot Chip crowd, there is no wisdom in crowds and there is no accounting for taste.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 12:44 PM

"Hahaha again with the sold out at the door story. Same thing they tried to say about the last Bowery Show. And what time pray tell did they sell out at the door?"

seriously, what is your problem? I checked Music Hall's website before I left to see if I could figure out the set times, and the show was listed as 'sold out'. Why you are so worried about it, I don't know, but for the record, last night's show at Music Hall was sold out.

Posted by brooklynvegan | April 10, 2008 12:46 PM

The Dirty Projectors' show at Music Hall compared itself to Moby's album "Play", it was so sold out.

Wait, I should stick to photography and leave comedy to Klaus.

Posted by Bao | April 10, 2008 12:55 PM

Let me try to be the voice of reason here for a sec. I am not any of the Anon commenters above so relax. All this craziness against and for this band is funny. Funny because it is over a band that in all honesty(record sales, show attendance etc) does not really register much of a blip in the music world. Now that is not to say they are not a good band. Just seems like they have a small following that is very fervent. Good for them. I cannot speak to the sell out situation last night but what does seem obvious to me is that if it indeed sold out, it did not sell out till just before showtime. With it being such a small place this does not say much for a band that is not new by any means. Plus i can attest 100% to the fact that they did not sell out Knitting Factory in December and I know this because my friend works there.
I just find it all a bit unecessary to get all worked up over something that is not very significant. If you are the small group that likes them and obsesses over them then great go enjoy them. If you are the many who do not like them then good for you as well. I have read the threads over time on this band and it is clear it is not just one person hating on this band.

Now let's debate some really inmportant music news like Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz getting engaged. Now there is something to argue over.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:00 PM

I love how mean people are just because of the anonymity of the Internet.

Posted by Cryn | April 10, 2008 1:01 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:02 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:03 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:02 PM"

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:04 PM

"is it really that shocking that they didn't sell out knitting factory on new years eve? not the best way to ring in the new year - like them or not."

they also announed it very last minute.

"Excellent, excellent show. Spotted Ian from Battles and Bryan from The National in the crowd."

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:05 PM

OMG DUDES FROM VAMPIRE WEEKEND AND BATTLES WERE THERE?!??!

OMG!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:08 PM

"Actually it is pretty shocking. Most of the other bands playing new years shows sold out. Fans come out to see their bands on New Years and the knit is a small place. They did not sell out Bowery either the last time they played. "

sounds like someone is very bitter about something. What did they do to you?

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:08 PM

Yeah, saw Bradford too. Dude is everywhere lately.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:09 PM

I wanted to like Dirty Projectors, I really did, but I just can't get over the guy's voice. I find it terrible. And this is coming from a guy who likes weird singers like Morrissey and Isaac Brooks.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:10 PM

sounds like someone is very bitter about something. What did they do to you?

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:08 PM"

Why is it bitter to speak the truth?

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:10 PM

bradford is recording an album here right now

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:12 PM

WHAT OTHER CELEBRITIES WERE THERE?!?!?!

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:13 PM

For what it's worth, saw a few of the National dudes there, and at least one member of Vampire Weekend."

These posts illustrate the problem with NYC nowadays: too many scenesters. Move back to Ohio.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:18 PM

"Sold out day of. Not as impressive as selling out right away or shortly after going on sale."

WHO CARES??????????? Are you a booking agent or something?

and anyway, this band might not be "new", but they are just getting started.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:19 PM

"WHAT OTHER CELEBRITIES WERE THERE?!?!?!"

Emanuel Lewis

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:19 PM

Posted by josh | April 10, 2008 1:20 PM

is the bitter guy the one who got kicked out of the band after he got those 2 girls to join?

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:21 PM

Uhm, i was at the show and who really gives a shit if it was sold out or not, Dave & Co. were excellent as usual. If you dont like them, go talk about something else. friggin haters. geez. And i dont think I "get" them yet and still manage to enjoy the creativity and harmonies and time they must put in to be so tight.

Posted by josh | April 10, 2008 1:23 PM

"Uhm, i was at the show and who really gives a shit if it was sold out or not, Dave & Co. was excellent as usual. If you dont like them, go talk about something else. friggin haters. geez. And i dont think I "get" them yet and still manage to enjoy the creativity and harmonies and time they must put in to be so tight."

well said. And it was not a scene. It was a room full of people enjoying a performance.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:26 PM

I saw Jenny McCarthy there totally rocking out

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:38 PM

Well said Anon 1:23p. Again like i said above. If you are one of the small group of people who really like this band then by all means go and enjoy their performance. And the people who don't will continue to not like them. It remains to be seen though if they can continue as a band playing to a small mass of people.

"and anyway, this band might not be "new", but they are just getting started."

Ok i do have to take issue with this statement. Umm no. That is just silly.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:39 PM

Wait--I thought selling out was a BAD thing!

Posted by TFUL282 fan | April 10, 2008 1:47 PM

"It remains to be seen though if they can continue as a band playing to a small mass of people."

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 1:50 PM

One thing I learned last night: people trying to sing along at a Dirty Projectors show is the worst possible sound. You're just not gonna hit the high parts in "Thirsty & Miserable" no matter what.

And so is some guy talking about Ezra from Vamp Weekend "totally ripping off" D. Longstreth's voice. Say wha? With love to both of them, that is like saying an Escalade is ripping off a sixteen wheeler.

Posted by Dylan | April 10, 2008 1:55 PM

"It's not like they're struggling to sell out Cake Shop. I don't think they'll have much trouble continuing if they can sell out venues such as MHOW."

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 2:06 PM

I can’t claim to know exactly how the MHoW handles demand for their shows or last minute ticketing, but I was told around 10 that is was sold out (there was a massive line at this time). In Chicago the other night I was able to buy a ticket about two hours before the show, but that one did end up selling out.

Posted by Liz | April 10, 2008 2:11 PM

"First of all you meant to say "barely" selling out MHOW. Again they did not sell out the last 2 places they played before this one. ANd honestly no a band cannot sustain itself simply playing to places the size of MHOW."

you remind me of the person who said Arcade Fire would not sell out their shows at United Palace.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 2:12 PM

Why do you care so much?

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 2:16 PM

i don't understand why people passionately hate on this band. MUSIC IS NOT A COMPETITION. damn....there is no need to drag down bands..."indie" music should be like a supportive family....we're all on the same team.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 5:02 PM

More pics and post here at www.feastofmusic.com

Posted by Pete | April 10, 2008 6:05 PM

good grief so many comments of nonsense
so i couldn't sift through to make sure if it was mentioned already or not

but
august 15 @ south street seaport
with white williams

awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2008 7:03 PM

the dirty projectors might not be easily digestible, but the music is genius.

sounds like some people's egos get hurt when music is challenging.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 12:38 AM

Sold out not sold out who the mutherflip cares. That's really the majority of this thread? sheesh. How was the music?

Transportive, I'd say. Love em, hate em, care less either way...this annonymous innertube floater had an amazing time. I thought they were

Posted by Matt S | April 11, 2008 1:03 PM