Posted in music | pictures on April 11, 2008

photos by Jason Bergman

Gnarls Barkley @ Highline Ballroom

My two favorite Cee-Lo quotes from the evening (April 10, 2008) were (roughly) "This is my favorite part of the show because I get to sing the song that made me rich and famous." (said before the 4th to last song of the night) and "This is kind of like an overpaid dress rehearsal" (said in reference to the whole show).

It was Gnarls Barkley's first show since putting out their new album ('The Odd Couple'). Therefore it was the first time they played a lot of the new songs live, but for a "dress rehearsal" it was pretty impressive. They were tight. I did get the sense that the full band wasn't 100% comfortable playing all the songs with each other (or with the outfits they were wearing), but for some reason that made it even more enjoyable. The show - especially Cee-Lo - seemed real (unlike the Rihanna show the night before in the same venue....yes I went....with a group of people that included a 12 year old.....it was mostly kids there actually....it was an early show.....before Dirty Projectors....shhhh). Back to Gnarls....Cee-Lo (as James Brown) was completely on point. He has an amazing voice - even live. Danger Mouse always seemed to be doing a good job at whatever he was doing too, and he always looked super cool doing it.

Cee-Lo stripped down for the 2-song encore
Gnarls Barkley @ Highline Ballroom

More pictures & setlist below.....

Gnarls Barkley @ Highline Ballroom

Santogold opened. Those pics are HERE.

Whoa that was some quick 425 work.

Posted by Bao | April 11, 2008 2:37 AM

i think he used an action!!!!!

Posted by Ryan | April 11, 2008 2:54 AM

Too slow guys, too slow. :)

Posted by GOPster | April 11, 2008 7:24 AM

DO ANY OF YOU SLEEP?!

Posted by jason | April 11, 2008 8:02 AM

He said the famous song comment before "crazy" right?, that's song 11 on the setlist! I didn't recall myself which song he was referencing that too. Cee-Lo had a bunch of stuff to say, I was feeling the "I can rap, sing, and dance..." spout

Posted by Jp | April 11, 2008 8:31 AM

Santogold?

Posted by ROCK STARchitect | April 11, 2008 9:00 AM

Jp he said 4th back from the last which equals your 11th. so yes 'crazy'

Posted by ROCK STARchitect | April 11, 2008 9:01 AM

Pics of Rihanna, please.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 9:06 AM

Oh ya, damn 4 hours sleep.

Posted by Jp | April 11, 2008 9:48 AM

No disrespect or anything, but Gnarls Barkley is the ugliest band ever. They make Grand Funk look hot.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 9:54 AM

The mix was pretty awful last night. Unbalanced, muddy, lots of feedback, etc. Cee-Lo even commented at one point, asking if it sounded good and did we dig it, b/c he couldn't hear much, or something to that effect. Band was in good spirits, but it felt like they were mailing it in a bit. The "overpaid dress rehearsal" comment was definitely coming from somewhere. All the tables on the sides of the room and the entire balcony were reserved for VIP/industry folks. All in all, it was good, but not great. Two summers ago at Central Park was MUCH better. And yes, there are some unfortunate looking people in that band.

Posted by yo mama | April 11, 2008 10:17 AM

they deserve all the success they get. Two amazing performers doing great work and getting some exposure while remaining artistically credible. I hope they don't fuck it up...

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 11:13 AM

its too bad they cant put together an album or a set with more than 20-30% good songs. cee-lo is one of the best vocalists/performers out there and dangermouse is decent. in total, they have about 4-5 songs that are actually good and one is a cover. bring back dungeon family.

also, those that whine about brooklyn hipsters at shows- go to highline ballroom more, where its mostly NJ high school and other meatpacking types. i'll take a jaded smack addicted studio b crowd over that any day.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 11:20 AM

There's some serious crimes against humanity going on in that picture before the setlist..

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 12:02 PM

SANTOGOLD IS THE TRUTH!
I read a post that said they mailed it in. I'd have to disagree. And as far as feedback, there wasn't any. The one comment Cee-Lo said regarding the sound was the fact that he didn't have his sound in. Meaning he wasn't wearing his monitor yet. That said, I hope whomever posted that realizes what it takes to sing in key and have the right pitch WITHOUT monitors. That's a real musician.
And as far as Jersey crowds go...I can't hate on them. They usually support NY to the fullest. Now those Sex in the city wannabes? Yes they're annoying. And one more thing I'd like to throw in...on 9/11 EVERYONE wanted to be in Jersey.

Posted by dboogs | April 11, 2008 12:21 PM

I have to give advantage to Bao, his use of wide angle (fish-eye) lense as well. I don't know I just think his pictures are a little better. I dont like Rolling Stone though.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 1:54 PM

Damn, I wanted to be there. Odd Couple is pretty good.

Posted by Eduardo | April 12, 2008 1:14 AM

Maybe you were in a bad part of the venue? I was in the center about 20 feet back and the sound was great. Cee-lo's voice was incredible.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 2:39 AM