Posted in music | pictures on April 14, 2008

Yeasayer @ Masonic Temple

Yeasayer @ Masonic Temple

Yeasayer @ Masonic Temple

Yeasayer @ Masonic Temple

Yeasayer @ Masonic Temple

Man Man @ Masonic Temple

This show happened April 11, 2008 @ the Brooklyn Masonic Temple - one night after Man Man played Bowery Ballroom.

Now Man Man & Yeasayer are on tour.

when will men realize facial hair is not attractive , especially when its bushy

oh yeasayer dude, you were so much cuter before hand

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 12:35 AM

Disagree. Facial hair is the shit.

Nice pics.

Posted by Cassi | April 14, 2008 1:41 AM

Hey, I really love that "Miami Vice-Affected singer" look... It's neat. The beard gives him a Kenny Rogers edge, facial hair is indeed attractive...

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 7:09 AM

I fear the yuppie rock scene will grow even larger with the impending layoffs on wall street.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 8:03 AM

I thought the sound was fucking horrible. It sounded to bad in that place. I will try my hardest to never go back there.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 8:51 AM

I have seen both bands several times and the Brooklyn Masonic Temple would be my least favorite performance from both bands...it was not that the music was bad or the bands performance was weak, it was just awkward. As Chris Keating put it, "I feel like this is some talent show". The room really never got dark and something was just off. I really think any other venue this double bill would be one helluva time (and I did enjoy myself at the show).
On a side note, the Man Man show at the Bowery the night before was outstanding.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 9:01 AM

Fretless bass...facial hair..."real" musicianship. Fortunately music is quite cyclical, which means an equivalent of punk should be just around the corner.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 9:09 AM

don't worry . . . be happy

Posted by jeff | April 14, 2008 9:14 AM

I love it when people define "punk" by your look. Lucky for you the Vans Warped Tour is about to kick off.

Posted by Sir James Winnie | April 14, 2008 9:17 AM

yeasayer came off as some kind of 1970s prog rock nostalgia trip. Ok is the name because they like Yes? The projections were interesting in a trippy way, the music really wasnt. Ok this is a band your dad who hasnt been to a show in 20 years will like.

Man Man I think they posed just a little bit too much. What seemed like spontaneity last year, now looks rehearsed. That being said they were pretty good.

Whoever's idea of playing Kokamo and Dont Worry Be Happy, you pissed us off. Was that the point? Were we supposed to storm the stage and tear down the amps to stop that awful music? You guys kind of ruined your own vibe. Thats my personal opinion.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 9:28 AM

I'm glad that Weird Al has found work playing bass for Yeasayer.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 9:30 AM

who was that guy without his shirt, all sweaty?

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 9:53 AM

also, can someone please tell me who that first band was? some kind of western blues thing.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 9:57 AM

Why would anyone see Man Man at the Masonic Temple instead of Bowery Ballroom is beyond me.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 9:58 AM

i thought both bands were fucking awesome, and I've seen both a lot, but this may have been the best yet. yeasayer were incredibly tight and connected, and vocally inspiring. sounded great where I was standing though I'm sure there are spots in the room where it sounds bad.

who cares about it being totally dark? If any show is about not separating the band from the audience and everyone being involved together, its this show, and I kind of liked how the whole room stayed lit.

Posted by professor | April 14, 2008 10:03 AM

to 9:58. It was a friday night, main reason.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:10 AM

to 10:10. Yeasayer is my main reason.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:13 AM

was man man set different at bowery ?

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:13 AM

To Anon 9:28:

don't worry, be happy

Posted by Bobby McFerrin | April 14, 2008 10:15 AM

Was going to this show, but didn't make it. Wanted to see Yeasayer. I know that i'm supposed to like Man Man b/c all the blogs tell me to. Their music isn't bad, it just doesn't do it for me...still, the blogs persist.

However.

After seeing the photos of these jokers, I will certainly never like them. Gimmicks. The hair. The dress. The doo-dads speckling their stage show. This type of shit annoys me. It's like they go into it thinking "let's show these people how weird and kooky we are with all our weird and kooky clothes/headbands/props/moustaches! We're weird! We're art rock!" I'm really not trying to be a hater. It just bums me out when your "look" seems to take precedence over your music. A little less time in the local thrift shop and little more time in the practice space please.

Posted by anon | April 14, 2008 10:15 AM

To 10:13 - "who cares about it being totally dark?"
I guess Yeasayer since they kept asking for the lights to be turned down. And it did not bother me the lights were pretty much on (I have seen plenty of outdoor day shows in my life) but a show that uses a projector for effects, the darker the better...that's all.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:16 AM

"to 10:10. Yeasayer is my main reason."

Really? Yeasayer? Really?

I saw them at CMJ and I thought they were nothing special. Definitely not good enough to put up Masonic Temple over the much much better Bowery Ballroom. Who cares if it was a Thursday night, show was over before midnight (like most weekday shows are).

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:20 AM

yeah I think 10:15 anon said it well. They are doing something similar to Gogol Bordello, they even had a bit of klezmer sound, a bit of Zappa in there, I think they have real potential. I wish I went the night before at Bowery, then I could say for sure, but the stage antics, it was just too much, their gig opening for Modest Mouse last year, I think was much better, less about being weird and more about making some weird music.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:21 AM

"I saw them at CMJ and I thought they were nothing special."

you probably caught a bad show. They usually "kill it"

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:22 AM

"Wanted to see Yeasayer. I know that i'm supposed to like Man Man b/c all the blogs tell me to. Their music isn't bad, it just doesn't do it for me...still, the blogs persist."

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:25 AM

Lots of people like lots of different bands. Let's argue about it.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:41 AM

should we mention the fact the front row at this show was packed with bloggers/photographers? I did a quick head count and out of 20 people immediately by the stage 19 had cameras in hand, and the one person who didnt was Leia Jospe's friend.

Man Man looked like they had about 20 big fans in the front pit area and they kept pushing up, and about half the photogs bailed at that point when the fat guy without his shirt got to the front.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:55 AM

Left 3 songs into Man Man after being irritated by the sound quality. It was a huge, disgusting mass of sound that made it unbearable to listen to.

So bummed, because I live a few blocks from the Temple and I would love for it to be a place I check out regularly.

But hell no.

Yeasayer actually sounded OK though, so should I blame Man Man's sound crew?

Whatever it was, it was a terrible time.

Posted by joe | April 14, 2008 11:21 AM

and if they hate, then let them hate and watch the money pile up.

Posted by grace6697 | April 14, 2008 11:29 AM

WORST SOUND EVER.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:53 AM

Yeasayer = good. They have been a band for like 2 years, people. How much have you commenters accomplished during your 2 years at NYU?

Man Man = good also. Their show is batshit crazy. I found myself forced to laugh outloud during their performance, and I enjoy laughing.

But yes, the sound sucked. It's the venue's construction and oversized theater stage that sucked up the sound and shat it out.

Posted by me | April 14, 2008 12:02 PM

I snuck upstairs to take pictures from the balcony. When I left at the end, the columns, walls and floors up there were all wet from the condensed sweat rising up off the mosh pit. Seriously.

Posted by Sha-na-na-nonymous | April 14, 2008 12:05 PM

yeasayer played a descent set in DC the night before this show... if only the audience had some actual outward energy! what the hell does it take to get these damn kids to move?!

also regarding previous comments... "Disagree. Facial hair is the shit." well, it is at least the staple of indie music these days - especially the amish beard and rude 'stache.

Posted by dweebcentric | April 14, 2008 12:10 PM

the lighting is really terrible at the masonic temple and the sound is mediocre. I saw Sunset Rubdown a few weeks back, and it was hard to get into it because of bright it was in the room

Posted by josh | April 14, 2008 12:15 PM

@ Anon 10:25

"You criticize blogs for liking Man Man, but you admit you wanted to see Yeasayer?

Pot. Kettle. Black."

I'm confused. That wasn't criticism of blogs, just and observation. I observed that the blogs say Man Man is the shit...I did not criticize them for doing so.

Panties. In. A. Bunch.

Posted by anon | April 14, 2008 12:25 PM

agree that there were a lot of bloggers/photographers there, so i have to ask, why are all the pictures posted above out of focus?

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 1:06 PM

Man Man and others said the sound at Bowery was the worst sounding room they had played in years. Bowery sucks and WMH is a joke of a room, corporate yupsters now, trying to get their greedy paws in the burg, they're basically becoming another version of Live Nation.

Man Man and Yeasayer were great on Friday night, Man Man were better at the pool though, can't wait for the free sunday shows, anyone know when those start, heard it might be the last season at the pool, but that they will be moving somewhere else

Posted by Beaver | April 14, 2008 1:07 PM

man man sounded great at the bowery the night before

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 1:26 PM

loads of live vids/MP3s and pics from the Man Man Bowery show here:

i will say that the sound for Man Man on Thursday night at Bowery was very BAD for Bowery. could've easily been turned up a good four notches overall.

and the last two shows i've seen there have definitely had subpar sound - NOT the norm for Bowery Ballroom. in fact, the difference in quality of sound from Man Man's Jan '07 show at Bowery to this most recent one was vast. somebody needs to get on fixing that soon, yeah?

Posted by EF Matt | April 14, 2008 1:36 PM

Since nothing has changed at the Bowery Ballroom, the above comments further prove my point that the morons who post on this site have no clue about live sound.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 2:07 PM

1:06, zing! i am sick sick sick of all these fools waving their lamewad cameras around.

i came to see the show, not yr skinny arm holding yr expensive prop overhead so you can make the scene.

is it necessary to have 19 people covering this event?

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 2:24 PM

Sorry, but how does any photographer have control over how many others will be there? If you don't like seeing that many photographers, take it up with the band's PR people. They're usually the ones issuing the passes.

Posted by Leia | April 14, 2008 3:22 PM

Photographers should only be allowed up front for 3 songs/15 minutes.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 3:33 PM

if a band only wants 3 songs/15 minutes, then i'll respect that. but a band like man man, to my knowledge, is totally fine with photographers, so i'll keep snapping away.

Posted by jason | April 14, 2008 4:26 PM

the don't worry, be happy thing was seriously annoying. i'm assuming it was man man's idea just because i doubt anyone else would have the authority to totally piss off the crowd before they came on.

the sound at the masonic temple really is bad. the whole thing feels like an armory or VFW show you went to in high school. sunset rubdown was the same way -- any sort of distortion/loud drumming (hello, man man) gets really messy. i did enjoy yeasayer, but i wish you could've heard the vocals a lot better.

Posted by cait | April 14, 2008 4:28 PM

The concert is much better when you are not looking at it through a viewfinder.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 4:29 PM

After Yeasayer's set, while Man Man was setting up, the PA played the Beach Boys "Kokomo" five times in a row, and then Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry Be Happy" seven times. I spoke to the promoter and he told me that was something that Man Man required. I'm sorry guys, you don't have that many fans to begin with, why purposely fuck with the handful of people that actually like you? Dear Man Man: You should not have contempt for your fans. I'm sure you think that's hysterical, but maybe you did not see all the people leaving. I left. So did my six friends. I will not give them a another chance.

Posted by no man | April 14, 2008 5:01 PM

i only like yeasayer cuz bvegan said they are good

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 5:03 PM

the most annoying thing to me about this show was the fact that the backdrop said "boost mobile" on it. why would man man and yeasayer agree to that? don't get me wrong, i'm all for bands getting paid more, and gaining larger exposure from sponsorship opportunities, but don't put that shit on the stage. the only thing that belongs there, is the band. period. to be honest, it even looks bad for the sponsor.

keep signage in the crowd.

Posted by sponsorship | April 14, 2008 5:12 PM

noman:

you left because of the music in between the set?

Posted by jason | April 14, 2008 5:18 PM

Setting the record straight to 5:12 and beyond:

WE were NEVER told of the amount of Boost mobile carnage that would be placed all over the venue that night. We simply thought that their name would appear on the flyer/poster. It wasn't our headlining show so we really couldn't complain. When we showed up to the venue however it was a different story. It was like a Boost mobile corporate party. We had to fight to use our video screens, among other things, which was very difficult in the 11th hour when 1000 people already bought tickets.

I am not pointing any fingers, I just want to set the record straight that we were very unaware of the depth of the Boost sponsorship and nothing was ever communicated to me or the band.

It was a true learning experience and we still had a blast. Thank you for everyone who turned up.

Also, for the comment above, The Music Hall of Williamsburg is actually one of the most pleasant places to play in this country. Amazing folks work at that place from the office to the security.

Best.

Sir James Winnie
YSR MGR

Posted by Sir James Winnie | April 14, 2008 5:42 PM

that giant banner was up for sunset rubdown too - goooooooooo jellynyc!

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 5:57 PM

"kokomo" on repeat? sounds like heaven 2 me. haterz.

Posted by d$ | April 15, 2008 12:56 PM

Don't Worry Be Happy makes me so angry!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2008 1:05 PM