Posted in music | tour dates on April 23, 2008

by Black Bubblegum

NA

One of the greatest hardcore bands of all time (most of them anyway.....

John Brannon - Vocals (original & most important)
Harold Richardson - Guitar
Ron Sakowski - Bass
OP Moore - Drums (sort of original)
)....Negative Approach, will play one of two US shows (the other in Rhode Island) at Southpaw on May 14th. TICKETS ARE ON SALE. Go. Now.

Still here? Quick.... here's a crash course on who the guys are:

NA's musical style was based on Detroit proto-punk icons The Stooges, British punk rock (especially Discharge) and Oi! music (Blitz, 4-Skins, et al.), although from the start their sound and demeanor were considerably more aggressive and brutal than that of their influences. NA's brand of hardcore was savage and nihilistic, exuding frustration, alienation and rage. This was personified in the band's vocalist John Brannon, an intimidating and intense young man with a shaved head, piercing stare and belligerent attitude. His vocal style and stage presence set the standard for those that followed. (Wikipedia)
Negative Approach was last in town for the 2007 Superbowl of Hardcore and the 2007 No Fun Fest with Thurston Moore guesting on guitar. They also played the Touch & Go anniversary party. Members of Negative Approach are in Easy Action.

That's the cover of their new live DVD up there. Videos and tour dates below....

Negative Approach, Live in 1983

Negative Approach, Live at the No Fun Fest 2007, Pt. 1

Pt.2

Pt.3

Negative Approach covering Sham 69's "Borstal Breakout"
NA @ St Andrew's Hall 5/26/07

NEGATIVE APPROACH - 2008 TOUR DATES
May 14 - Southpaw Brooklyn, NY
May 16 - Club Hell Providence, Rhode Island
Jun 21 - Summerblast Festival Trier Germany
Jun 22 - Melkweg Amsterdam, Netherlands
Jun 23 - Hof Ter Lo Antwerp, Belgium
Jun 24 - Underworld London, England
Jun 25 - Sala KGB Barcelona, Spain
Jun 27 - Audio Drome Milan, Italy
Jun 28 - Vainstream Rockfest - Afternoon Munster, Germany
Jun 28 - Hafenklang - Evening Hamburg, Germany

i got my tix.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 2:45 PM

Tied down...on a fucking leash...

Best HC band evah!

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 2:48 PM

think the 3 vids from No Fun Fest are the Necros, not NA.

Posted by simon | April 23, 2008 3:09 PM

^^^No...in video Pt. 1 John Brannon of Negative Approach is making a joke by stating that he and NA are the Necros and their singer Barry Hensler...probably because of the long running fued between the two bands that only old ass Detroit hardcore geeks like me even know about.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 3:23 PM

Ready. To. Fight.

Posted by t-rex | April 23, 2008 3:39 PM

Blah - time for 80s hardcore nostalgia acts! Maybe the Dead Kennedys will start to tour without Jello Biafra, or the Germs without Darby Crash.

Can you call this a 'reunion' when it's just the singer and drummer with the two dudes from the singer's other band (Easy Action) Would people get excited if Easy Action started to just play Negative Approach covers? Because that's what this is. Especially lame considering the original guitar and bass players wanted to be part of the reunion. I saw the 'negative approach' reunion at the T&G 25th anniversary thing last year and they blew.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 5:04 PM

^^^While I agree that it would be MUCH cooler with the original guitarist and bass player, I was also at that T&G 25th Anniversary show and NA ripped the place a new one (and I'm old and privileged enough to have seen NA in Detroit back in the early 80's). I totally disagree with you.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 5:19 PM

I was also at the T&G show. Not there to see them but was intrigued since Albini always talked about how much he loved them live in interviews back in the day.

Not only were they totally awesome, when they started all these hardcore kids came out of nowhere, created a huge fucking pit, and left as soon as NA was done. Brilliant.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 5:46 PM

Ripped a new one? OK - I can see that there's some nostalgia for an old dude to see some old dude covering his old band's songs with some other old dudes (the bass player looks like he's sixty) - as a one-off thing it was cool, like the Big Black 'reunion' was cool for a few minutes - but the 'reunited' NA just weren't that good - maybe 'blew' is too strong, but it felt really, really pathetic for Brannon to come out raging without (at least obv) irony like he was twenty playing to a bunch of fifteen year olds dressed like it was still 1982. I look forward to the 50th T&G anniversary so we can see Brannon reliving 1982 for a new generation of 'punx' then touring the world's hardcore old age homes opening for a 110-year-old, shirtless Iggy Pop. At what point does this shit become lame?

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 5:59 PM

I am old and privileged enough to have seen them as well. Yes, they were fucking amazing. So, who cares that I have seen them? I plan on getting my ass over there to that show. One band that I do not mind a semi-reunion of. BTW, I don't really think that there is such enmity between the Necros and NA, but Barry and Corey don't see eye to eye, at least that is what the past was like. Plus, I don't think that BArry wants to do a Necros reunion, or reissue the back T&G Necros release. (I grew up with them, so I do speak with some knowledge, though I have not seen them since I left Ohio.) Anyway, that is that. From what video I have seen, NA with or without Rob and Graham, still shred. Oh boy, I cannot wait.

Posted by Fortyver | April 23, 2008 6:03 PM

@Anon5:59: I'm Anon5:19 and dude...believe me...I get your point, but perhaps you didn't see the ecstatic looks on the faces of the "fifteen year olds dressed like it was still 1982" slamming ferociously in that huge pit to songs they never thought they'd hear belted out from John Brannon in their lifetime. Also, that bass player deserves to look sixty as he's spent time in both Necros and Laughing Hyenas with Brannon. And last point...yes...people like Brannon and Iggy for that matter WILL still be screaming at the top of their lungs if they make it to 110 years old. For better or worse, that's all they were put on this Earth to do.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 6:31 PM

The important thing -
NA is playing a show, and DUSTHEADS are opening, who are the fucking best punk band playing on the east coast right now. Don't miss 'em!

Posted by rkb | May 5, 2008 2:25 PM

DUSTHEADS

Posted by RAY DRYBURGH | May 14, 2008 1:28 PM

DUSTHEADS

Posted by RAY DRYBURGH | May 14, 2008 1:28 PM

What feud with the Necros? there was no NA/Necros feud. The two bands had a ton of respect for each other

Posted by Rob Paul | April 2, 2010 12:00 PM