Posted in music | pictures | video on April 27, 2008

photos by Ryan Muir

Coachella

I can't remember the last time I wished I was at a show as much as I wished was at Portishead last night (April 26, 2008). Watching the stream was both the ultimate pain and the ultimate pleasure. I hope they play NYC six nights in a row. Or maybe I don't. For my own sanity.

Ryan Muir WAS actually there (he's covering the festival for this very website). He said it was as good as the live video made it seem. The rest of his pictures, the setlist, and some video are below....

Set list
1. Silence
2. Mysterons
3. The Rip
4. Glory Box
5. Wandering Star
6. Machine Gun
7. Over
8. Sour Times
9. Cowboys
10. Threads
11. Roads
12. We Carry OnVideos from their pre-Coachella rehearsal HERE.

All our Coachella coverage can be found HERE.

They seriously need to play in NYC....

5 nights at Town Hall or Beacon Theater

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | April 27, 2008 6:07 PM

Apollo!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2008 6:25 PM

I'm gonna go with Beacon but maybe Wamu. Don't underestimate the Bowery's power to squeeze a band into the biggest venue possible.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2008 6:30 PM

What really impressed was the stream's quality. Them HD cameras were doing the job, they actually filmed it like a show that'd be on DVD.

I sincerely hope they stop by for at least a 3-day residence. COME BACK, Portishead!

Posted by madmang | April 27, 2008 6:48 PM

the ny show will be at radio city

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2008 6:57 PM

From the New York Times profile of Portishead earlier this month...

"This month Portishead is touring Europe and making an April 26 appearance at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in California. (Those will be its only concerts for the rest of 2008, for “personal reasons,” Mr. Barrow said.)"

So it's an open question whether they will be playing NYC at all.

Posted by Charles | April 27, 2008 7:18 PM

As they pointed out to Rosanna Arquette, most of Portishead now have young kids and live with their families in the UK. Therefore I'm sure it's hard for them to do all this touring all of a sudden, but I'm sure at some point they will make it to NYC.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2008 7:35 PM

nuhuh... Portishead is playing at my house

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2008 7:47 PM

"From the New York Times profile of Portishead earlier this month...

So it's an open question whether they will be playing NYC at all.

Posted by Charles | April 27, 2008 7:18 PM"

Oh no here we go again with this bullshit. Charles please dont speak as if you know anything behind the scenes. This is not a question of if but when. Portishead WILL BE TOURING. They will most def be playing nyc. Expect to see them either end of this year or early next year for sure. The venue and dates at this point are uncertain but the tour is happening. Again, have patience. They will be here.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2008 8:05 PM

Terminal 5

just saying..

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2008 8:45 PM

Thanks to having way too much caffeine yesterday, I stayed up and recorded Portishead's performance. It's over on my blog if anyone wants to check it out.

Posted by Honest Abe | April 27, 2008 8:45 PM

"Oh no here we go again with this bullshit. Charles please dont speak as if you know anything behind the scenes."

Obviously I don't know anything 'behind the scenes'-I quoted a newspaper, I didn't name myself 'anonymous' and say they would def. play here and start throwing around venues. Chill out and stop being such a cunt.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2008 9:06 PM

Fine I take back what I said and apologize for being so rude...but to back up what I said. From the NME:

"Earlier in the day, Barrow told NME.COM that he was disappointed the band had to cut five songs from their set to make way for headliner Prince, who performed immediately after Portishead.

Barrow also said that Coachella will be Portishead's only US performance this year."

And it was also on their website, no touring in the US this year. And they only played one show in the US (the Roseland show) for the last album.

I really don't think they are playing anytime soon.

Posted by Charles | April 27, 2008 9:26 PM

Hey Charles
Well I am Anon 8:05. And of course you think they are not playing anytime soon. That is cause you are just some guy who is getting his info from ap news and things on a website. Now also please be clear on the fact that i never bandied about any names of venues. What i can tell you with a lot more knowledge is they are in fact going to be touring for this record and playing here in nyc. As i stated before it might not be till early next year but they will be here soon enough.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2008 9:35 PM

Holy motherfucker that set was so good last night. I SO wish I went to Coachella this year and not last year. I ended up seeing Bjork four times here in NYC and Arcade Fire too. But Portishead and Kraftwerk! Arrgh!

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2008 9:53 PM

I was there. It was SPECTACULAR. I hope you get your wish, BV!!! (Cos, if they play NYC for five days, I'll be there too.)

Posted by Jacob | April 30, 2008 5:03 PM

tickets for portishead @ terminal 5 onsale friday @ noon

Posted by rocked the shit | May 12, 2008 2:07 PM

^^^ only kidding... but seriously, when are they going to announce some nyc dates?

Posted by rocked the shit | May 12, 2008 2:09 PM

So much for that tour, eh?

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2008 6:33 AM