Posted in music | pictures on April 28, 2008

photos by Ryan Muir

Roger Waters headlined the main stage of Coachella on Sunday

Roger Waters @ Coachella

Perfected after a week of rehearsals at the Forum arena in Los Angeles, all of it was matched with the sort of special effects and spectacular images Waters and Pink Floyd are known, like the giant inflatable pig covered in graffiti ("Don't be led to slaughter") that floated above the crowd during "Sheep" to explosive sparks of electric guitar by Dave Kilminster before being allowed to break free as spotlights crisscrossed the sky. Waters' night ended with songs from The Wall, with fiery virtuosic soloing by violinist Lili Haydn taking over Gilmour's original leads on "Comfortably Numb." During "Run Like Hell," a pair of dudes in baggy shorts responded on the grass with a lengthy interpretative dance -- falling to one knee, finger pointed in the air, stepping forward and back, bowing and swinging their hips -- a routine no doubt practiced back home between multiple bongloads. [Rolling Stoned]
He played 'Dark Side of the Moon' in its entirety (as he has done many times before). More pictures below...

Not sure about the "interpretive dance" but Waters didn't play "Run Like Hell". Rule number one about concert reviews, don't get facts wrong when you're making fun of other people.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2008 6:00 PM

aw man....can't believe i missed it.

i really need to hurry up and make my way to a large festival like that.

by the way, i love this blog soooo much.

Posted by keba | April 28, 2008 6:06 PM

Beautiful photos!

Gilmore's looking a bit like Richard Gere these days.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2008 6:11 PM

^
I mean, Waters. Woops.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2008 6:12 PM

Setlist?

Posted by A*ROC | April 28, 2008 6:18 PM

Same as every show from 2006-08

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2008 6:23 PM

Which would be?

Posted by A*ROC | April 28, 2008 6:26 PM

I saw this twice at MSG last year. Sick show.

All of Dark Side, Sheep, Set the Controls, Have a Cigar, Shine On, Happiest Days of our Lives, Another Brick, Vera, Bring the Boys Back Home, In the Flesh (the second one with all the racial slurs intact), Comfortably Numb, couple of Final Cut tracks, a couple new solo ones. Nothing from Radio KAOS or Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking.

Pretty amazing show.

10 Leaving Beirut
11 Sheep

Second Set
01 Dark Side of the Moon
02 Band Introductions
03 The Happiest Days Of Our Lives
04 Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)
05 Vera
06 Bring the Boys Back Home
07 Comfortably Numb

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2008 6:31 PM

For whom are we clarifying that Roger Waters is from "Pink Floyd"?

Posted by nsfw | April 28, 2008 7:03 PM

"For whom are we clarifying that Roger Waters is from "Pink Floyd"?"

I knew someone was going to say that. My answer: It more has to do with the fact that he plays Pink Floyd songs (albums even) AND that there was room on the title.

Posted by brooklynvegan | April 28, 2008 7:10 PM

I heard that the ropes holding the pig caught fire from the pyrotechnics and sent it sailing up into the sky. I looked it up, and you can kind of see it at the very end of this video:

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2008 7:59 PM

I can't imagine they let the pig go on purpose. How would they control its descent so it doesn't land where it's not supposed to?

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2008 8:25 PM

Its radio controlled from inside the big balloon itself. The 3 times I saw this show, it floated around an indoor arena without incident and certainly without any ropes or other restraints.
Took the same path each time too.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2008 8:44 PM

The pig didn't catch fire. It was let go. My friends were seated on the lawn behind the bleachers and actually saw the men who were holding the ropes and luring the pig around the venue. They walked right past them.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2008 10:53 PM

I'm sick of all these Coachella pics on BV.

Okay, I get it, there's a fucking amazing festival going on in sunny California while us New Yorkers are stuck stepping in puddles.

I'm bitter, and I hate California.

Posted by Jesus H. Christ | April 29, 2008 12:45 AM

Slaughter pig is voting for Obama!

Posted by sisterjack | April 29, 2008 1:15 AM

"I'm sick of all these Coachella pics on BV.

I'm bitter, and I hate California."

im from new york and i went. pony up the money and stop complaining

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2008 9:16 AM

any connection between the missing pig and Ridgewood Temple?

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2008 9:27 AM

"im from new york and i went. pony up the money and stop complaining"

I don't have that kind of money. If Obama becomes President, will I get enough money to go to Coachella next year?

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2008 10:03 AM

I heard Sean Penn gave his speech and the media reaction was that nobdody there gave a shit save some indiffernt applause. Can anyone clarify this?

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2008 11:59 AM

Um, could it be that perhaps no one really cares about what Sean Penn has to say? Just a thought. The sooner people stop caring the sooner he'll shut up.

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2008 12:14 PM

WOW!!!!!!!! sounds like my 6 year old and her friends arguing. You people need to grow up. DUDE ROGER F#@%!^& WATERS!!!!!!! man I am 15 mins from the festival and did not go I don't believe so many people in there right mind would pay so much for a bunch of bands. I feel this things should be free maybe at MAX!!!! $100 a pop for entire weekend it is nothing but a huge money hungry world. Heck if you have the money which I could have payed my way but chose not to because why spend $300 hundred bucks a day to see like 15 GREAT out of 200 bnads playing? come on people most (not all) of you people are sickening. FINAl NOTE. Did anyone tape ROGER???? or wait you couldn't probally bring in the recorders could you? They won't let you bring anything even your own clothes anymore wow this world has really gone off the rocker. And if you didn't listen to SEAN "THE MAN" PENN you are in a closed minded world and need to listewn to what he and others are saying otherwise you and your money hungry world that you want nothing more to do than have someone do everything for you which your parents probally bought your tickets for you because you are jobless and live off of your parents. WE NEED A CHANGE LISTEN TO OTHERS OTHER THAN PRES WHOREHAY

Posted by JohnDHS,CA | April 29, 2008 5:14 PM

I think he means Roger Waters OF Pink Floyd.. =P

Posted by txfloydian | April 30, 2008 11:20 AM

I saw Roger Waters at the Holloywood Bowl and in Irvine at the Irvine show they let the pig go. I really dont see what the big deal is as I'm sure it was planned. Just seems kinda strange that at both shows they let the pig go right before the intermission.

Posted by yeahman | April 30, 2008 7:04 PM

Was a great show & concert. RW is big time so other preformers were moved w/ no warning/notice. That sucked. Prob not everyone knows they projected wiz of Oz on backside of big wht tent synced to Darkside. I think he matters much. His clear anti-war views need heeding. And what's wierd to think is some young people were even exposed to him for the first time, so more fans were maid. Hope to see you all next year.

Posted by James B | May 1, 2008 6:31 AM

This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.

Posted by computertodays | January 26, 2010 4:53 AM