Posted in music on April 22, 2008

Scarlett Johansson album

And at that website you can listen to six of the Tom Waits songs including "Fannin Street" featuring vocals by David Bowie.

Scarlett Johansson's inspired Atco Records debut album ANYWHERE I LAY MY HEAD features her distinctive interpretations of ten songs by Tom Waits plus one original selection, "Song For Jo." Johansson co-wrote the track with TV On The Radio's David Andrew Sitek, who produced the album and lends his multi-instrumental talents throughout as well. She is also joined by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs guitarist Nick Zinner, Sean Antanaitis from Celebration and others.

boobs

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2008 6:01 PM

What type of animal's anus is that?

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2008 6:06 PM

"I'm Tom Waits and I approve this message."

Posted by greg | April 22, 2008 6:12 PM

Every song basically sounds the same... and that could be anybody singing those vocals. Terrible, but hey look at all the indie-rock guests! IT MUST BE GOOD!

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2008 6:37 PM

That's what Don Johnson's Heartbeat was missing: A website.

Posted by J | April 22, 2008 6:43 PM

i have a suggestion as to where she ought to lay her head.....

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2008 6:53 PM

.......on Bradford's Cox

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2008 6:54 PM

nice browneye

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2008 7:08 PM

i didnt even know atco records still existed

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2008 7:19 PM

>>i have a suggestion as to where she ought to lay her head.....

yes, right on my telecaster.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2008 9:04 PM

Where are the vocals?
Drowned in sssssssssssssound that's where... and for why? Let me guess. This can't be going on tour, could it? Void of what most people call 'soul'. But if that's what was intended, then it's brilliant.

Posted by That's Mr. Anonymous to you ----- | April 22, 2008 9:49 PM

He said "Anus"...

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2008 9:59 PM

I say props to Scarlett for taking on Tom Waits material. She could have quite easily taken the dance-pop route a-la countless other female actors turned singers and scored a chart-topper but instead she-- wait a second... this sounds like SHIT!

Posted by Jerry Koffman | April 23, 2008 2:11 AM

Agreed. In my opnion this is almost worse than Paris Hilton making a Pop Record. At least Paris didn't water down classics. If Scarlet could actually sing this whould have been cool, although even the instrumental aspects leave something to be desired for me. Kudos to her for choosing such amazing work to start, but she clearly could have done a better job of being modest, i.e. should have realized that just because she could didn't mean she should have. She's probably not totally at fault for failing to figure that out. I'm sure all of her handlers were foaming at the mouth thinking about the money they could make on this. And the music biz folks were sweating their palms at the thought of sharing a room with her. Everybody involved probably told her it sounded lovely and was a great idea. Can't say I blame them either considering their motiviations and the assured profitibility of this venture.

Bottom line though is... Norah Jones or somebody who can actually sing should have made this album. Then it might have been something people would remember 5 months from now.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 9:44 AM

Yeah, I love me some ScarJo, I love me some Tom Waits, I love me some Sitek...I'm not really feeling this at all. I could barely hear her whispered vocals.

What's the over/under for number of music critics that will spend at least a portion of their review comparing Johansson's album to Zooey Deschanel's?

Posted by NotoriousREG | April 23, 2008 10:07 AM

seriously though...people. who in their right mind was expecting a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g whatsoever from this project? come on. her recording anyone's songs was inevitably going to be looked at with skepticism. and once you throw in the fact that they’re almost all from the tom waits songbook, then you can stick a fork in it because you’re done...even if her body is all that it’s cracked up to be and possibly the one thing pulling along her acting game.

Posted by Allen'sWoody | April 23, 2008 11:13 AM

>>>"I'm Tom Waits and I approve this message."

Dude, no way. Tom Waits sues the shit out of anyone who fucks with his voice or image.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 2:25 PM

i like it... You snarky dicks.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 2:31 PM

i can see her pepperonis

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 3:20 PM

that's my favorite topping.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 4:28 PM

Ryan from Tall Firs played drums on this shit! HOLLA

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 5:10 PM

exactly assholes- it's reasonable

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2008 10:37 PM

wow, sounds like a bad annie lennox/eurythmics record.

plus the video- could it scream ego trip any more

heres me having my make up done. Heres me looking bored ina studio. Oh i have a tatoo that has to be covered up when i act....ooh ooh ooh

Posted by ro Cemm-Evans | May 8, 2008 4:31 AM

haters!

Posted by dingdong | May 12, 2008 2:43 PM

Posted by play free 3d games | July 21, 2010 2:22 PM

How can you be a hater on poor Scarlett - she's swingin'

Posted by pastry chef | February 18, 2011 11:11 PM

She should be shot for even attempting to sing his songs.

Posted by Sean | June 25, 2011 3:00 PM