Posted in music | tour dates on April 11, 2008

1 p.m. Care Bears On Fire
2 p.m. Fiasco
3 p.m. High Places
4 p.m. Yacht
5 p.m. Amarfis
6 p.m. Mr Easy
7 p.m. Men (JD from Le Tigre)
8 p.m. Fucked Up
9 p.m. Deerhoof
10 p.m. Cursive
11 p.m. (in the Student Center) Holy Ghost!

Need to know how to get to Purchase College?

By Car:
From New York City, Southern Westchester, and Long Island:
Take the Hutchinson River Parkway north to Exit 28 (Lincoln Avenue). Turn Left onto Lincoln Avenue and proceed approximately one mile to Anderson Hill Road (2nd traffic light). Turn right onto Anderson Hill Road. The campus is immediately on the left.

From Rockland County and northern New Jersey
(via the Tappan Zee Bridge):
Take I-287 (Cross Westchester Expressway) to Exit 8E. Shortly after first traffic light, bear left onto Anderson Hill Road. Proceed approximately 2.5 miles. The campus is on the left, just after intersection at Lincoln Avenue.

From Northern Westchester:
Take I-684 south to Exit 2 (Route 120), drive over the bridge and turn right onto Route 120 south (Purchase Street). Follow Route 120 south, 3.2 miles to Anderson Hill Road (1st traffic light) and turn left. Turn left at 2nd traffic light into campus.

From Connecticut:
Take the Merritt Parkway south (which becomes the Hutchinson River Parkway in New York State) south to New York Exit 28, Lincoln Avenue (Note: Do not get off at Exit 28 in Connecticut). Turn right onto Lincoln Avenue and proceed approximately one mile to Anderson Hill Road (2nd traffic light). Turn right onto Anderson Hill Road. The campus is immediately on the left.

By Train:
From NYC via rail from Grand Central Station:
Take the Harlem/Metro North Line to White Plains. Board the Anderson Hill Road bus No. 12 or take a taxi to campus. Alternatively, take the New Haven/Metro North Line to Rye and take a taxi to campus.
For more information about bus or train services, see the MTA Homepage.

By Bus:
From White Plains:
Take the No. 12 bus Northbound from White Plains or Southbound from Yorktown, Mount Kisco, or Armonk. Buses leave approximately ever hour, Monday through Saturday.
For more information about bus or train services, see the MTA Homepage or visit the Beeline Bus Homepage.

By Air:
From LaGuardia, JFK, Newark and Westchester airports:
From LaGuardia and JFK, take Prime Time Connecticut Airport Shuttle directly to Purchase College. Service costs about $42.00 from LaGuardia or Kennedy Airport. Reservations are recommended. From Newark, take the Connecticut Limousine Service to the Holiday Crowne Plaza Hotel in White Plains. (1-800-472-5466). From the Crowne Plaza to Purchase College costs approximately $10.00. A tip of 15% is expected for the driver. No reservations are required and you can request this service at the airport's ground transportation area. If you are flying into the Westchester Airport, take a taxi to the campus. The charge should be approximately $5.00.

Deerhoof is also playing Prospect Park in July.

i've been to culture shock at suny purchase before, anyone can go. fun and really bizarre good time...

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:27 PM

yep...anyone can go. Enjoy the new brutalism architecture.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:30 PM

How would one get there by sea?

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:31 PM

1 p.m. Care Bears On Fire
2 p.m. Fiasco
3 p.m. High Places
4 p.m. Yacht
5 p.m. Amarfis
6 p.m. Mr Easy
7 p.m. Men (JD from Le Tigre)
8 p.m. Fucked Up
9 p.m. Deerhoof
10 p.m. Cursive
11 p.m. Holy Ghost!

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:34 PM

flosstradamus is out*

TBD will either be jim jones or fat joe

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:37 PM

horrible name. decent lineup (at best).

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:37 PM

3:31 - you cant, it's an inland empire.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:37 PM

what time do the skinheads fight?

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:39 PM

when the guy with 4th row tickets shows up.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:40 PM

This sounds like a fun 2 days and you have the added treat of trying to pick up and fuck a suny purchase college girl. I hear they are easy.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:41 PM

"when the guy with 4th row tickets shows up.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:40 PM"

hahaha omg still obsessing over that to bring it to another thread Wow there are really some bitter pathetic losers on this blog.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:43 PM

well the actual "horrible" name of the show is MONSTER TRUCK WEEKEND, shawty

Posted by Alaina | April 11, 2008 3:46 PM

better than APW?

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:47 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:51 PM

hold on a sec, I searched the building dept records and i dont think they have a permit for a stage or anything there. and its only 1 week away.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:51 PM

"This is a students only show, I tried going once before and got kicked out. It was a bummer to go all the way up there and have to come all the way back. It's easier just to see these guys in NYC..."

Bowery Presents posters at it again

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:59 PM

^^^Yeah ignore Anon 3:51pm. This is not a students only show. It is outside on the campus. You think security is checking everyones student id? I have been there as well and it is open to everyone.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:01 PM

Do people actually still believe Deerhoof is good?

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:03 PM

it's actually btw. Admissions and the Children's Center and the slave cemetary

Posted by Alaina | April 11, 2008 4:08 PM

alaina, you suck. whose with me here?

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:09 PM

linuep updated above. thx

Posted by brooklynvegan | April 11, 2008 4:13 PM

How do I get there on foot?

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:21 PM

purchase has enough hipsters. brooklynvegan readers, stay away. culture shock maybe a shitty hipster fest this year (and no, alaina, it's not because you're a woman) but it's our shitty hipster fest.

Posted by purchase kid | April 11, 2008 4:22 PM

Fiasco!

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:25 PM

the only thing purchase has enough of is crazies

Posted by LK | April 11, 2008 4:27 PM

The campus cops check for student ID's for all cars entering. I have been to the past 4-5 of them (Still have my student ID). the westchester bus system (the bee-line) bus #12 goes onto campus and you should be fine that way.

Posted by andrew | April 11, 2008 4:28 PM

what if I parachute in?

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:32 PM

In regards to the easiness of Purchase Girls, it's nice to hear that the campus has not changed in the 5 years since I left it. Traditions still stand.

I would go to these, but man, it would remind me how fucking old I am.

Dan Deacon was and still is a dick, but man, that fucker threw some balls awesome Culture Shocks.

Posted by Pedro Tejeda | April 11, 2008 4:37 PM

why would anyone leave new york to see a fiasco show?

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:37 PM

because they don't play enough here! just kidding, good point, they play every week pretty much now it seems

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:49 PM

Because they're Fiasco groupies.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 5:01 PM

Monster Turd Weekend.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 5:07 PM

Weird how BV ignored last year's culture shock but we get a shout this year.

Admittedly, last year was godawful.

And yeah, Purchase girls are easy. Who isn't at this point, though?

Bonus points if you find one of the various virgins hiding on campus.

Posted by chris | April 11, 2008 5:38 PM

"And yeah, Purchase girls are easy. Who isn't at this point, though?"

Certainly not your mom.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 6:28 PM

purchase boys are easy. i totally got laid last year.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 6:36 PM

Double negative, Anon. 6:28. Is Chris' mom easy or not?

Posted by your English teacher | April 11, 2008 6:49 PM

Take bus #12 or taxi from White Plains Train.

Get off at Arrowood Hotel, go thru woods, there is no fence....

Go THIS weekend during day to scope out the area, make a google map, park at Pepsi and walk thru woods, get there early

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 8:13 PM

you guys suck, you post how the campus cops ided you when your mom dropped you off....well dude walk thru the woods, take a taxi to pepsi or arrowwood....

i tried posting this on craigslist but some SUNY weenie got his friends to all flag it...

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 8:41 PM

"Go THIS weekend during day to scope out the area..."

This thing isn't worth making one weekend trip to Purchase, much less two.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 8:45 PM

i heard the guy who jumped off the library after eating a sheet of acid is going to recreate his act for the headliner..

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 8:49 PM

I hope the Hells Angels crashes this event......

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 9:20 PM

Yeah, I'm glad my student fees pay for a bunch of douches to show up at my school, and trash it, so that I have to pay more bullshit fees. Thank you.

In all seriousness, if you do decide to crash our thing, at least do not trash the campus.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 10:08 PM

10:08, it's not us you have to worry about, it's the Fiasco groupies who do shit like that.

Posted by Anonymous | April 11, 2008 10:18 PM

My Mom doesn't appreciate your aspersions.

Posted by Chris | April 11, 2008 10:24 PM

something that may not have been mentioned but I thought was amazing at the time was about 3 years ago Despot (Def Jux Records) was a student and in charge of booking the acts and after a few students complained that there wasn't enough culture in culture shock he changed the named to Vulture Cock as a big fuck you. I think Gza headlined that year ... all I remember was Lightning Bolt and then waking up the next afternoon.

Posted by Andrew | April 12, 2008 1:50 AM

Unless I missed the installation of an American Apparel in Fort Awesome, no tragically hip Brooklyn Vegan reader really has any business at all being at Purchase next weekend. stay home and organize your collections of ironic sunglasses or some shit. the cops here are redneck mongoloids who would throw the very students they protect off campus if they could...hipster tourists really don't stand a chance.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 2:26 AM

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 2:31 AM

Well, my collection of cool glasses is indexed, organized on cool ikea shelves, and in my special imac spreadsheet program.

My mom keeps them dusted.

So I am going.

Thank you.

Zachary of Lorimer Street

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 5:09 AM

Nobody wants to "trash the campus", yet, perhaps some NYU people would like to take a road trip next week and have a nice time at an OUTDOOR festival.

We will put our trash in the trash can, etc.

Why is it SUNY Purchase people come to NYU and crash OUR events saying hey be "cool" etc. but it is not "cool" to go to their events...

WTF...

Who said anything about trashing, crashing is not trashing.....

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 5:20 AM

culture shock is only fun because people come from outside to see these bands! that way, it's not just another show

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 5:23 AM

If non SUNY students agree not to go to SUNY Purchase Culture Shock 2008, will SUNY Students agree not to come to NYU events or anything else in the city?????????

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 5:30 AM

Because NYU is for queers.

Posted by Chris | April 12, 2008 6:32 AM

If NYU is for queers, why is it over-run with bridge and tunnel suburban SUNY types on the weekends, they get into our campus and hang out in our cafes, ?????

Please can people post info about SUNY Purchase Culture SHock on Facebook, Myspace, Craigslist and otherboards....?????

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 6:52 AM

Please post the info re: SUNY PURCHASE CULTURE SHOCK 2008 on any board, craigslist, myspace, facebook site you can do....

It is not a crime to go to a PUBLIC school on PUBLIC property and watch a show.

They never close of Washington Square Park to NYU.

If someone trashes something or commits a crime then there are consequences but to shut people out who just want to have fun is not what music or america is all about.

AGREE OR DISAGREE???

Posted by A Peaceful Music Fan | April 12, 2008 7:02 AM

SUNY Purchase is a public school, public property.

You are legally allowed to be there.

Just do not commit a crime, like anyplace else....duh

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 7:05 AM

why are you people awake, its 6:30 AM,,,,?

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 7:21 AM

the people who trash the school and steal laptops are a combination of insane loners who go to purchase and hood rats who sneak over from white plains

Posted by time out | April 12, 2008 10:04 AM

anon 2:26 a.m. -- the culture shock shirts are made by american apparel

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 10:10 AM

Most of the time it is found to be that the people who have done the damage to the campus are in fact NOT students attending Purchase. We've had toilets ripped out of the bathrooms, broken windows, stolen property, everything. I'm just sick of having to pay extra fees etc. at the end of the semester for something that I didn't do, I don't give a fuck who comes as long as people aren't rude, and do trash the campus.
&even if it is an open campus, you need a guest pass to go to the events, especially if you plan to park your car on campus; they'll ticket everyone without a pass that weekend. Make friends with some SUNY Purchase kids so that you don't get kicked out. And hey, not all of us crash your NYU shows.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 10:17 AM

wait, who would actually go to this?

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 1:14 PM

This totally made my day. Thanks.

Posted by Teddy | April 12, 2008 1:45 PM

"I've been here three years and have not had sex. most girls I know are virgins or have had the same boyfriend for 2+ years. what the fuck?"

You sure you're at Purchase? Sounds like SUNY Maritime to me....

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 2:20 PM

that is the worst picture on the website, no one at purchase wears flares

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 2:51 PM

"no one at purchase wears flares"
HA!!!

and everyone should come to culture shock. the lineup is sort of disappointing, there were so many exciting rumors but it's still a show.

purchase girls, purchase people are good dudes, and fun. sometimes, quite often, easy. it's going to be a good time no matter what. who doesn't like college students who just want to dance?

culture shock is the shit in comparison to the cool kids coming to nyu.
and its free in comparison to seeing these bands in the city.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 4:57 PM

WHAT HAPPENED TO LANGHORNE SLIM??

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 7:38 PM

how much is it to attend both dates?

FREE

how can I avoid parking tickets?

WALK THRU THE WOODS

SUNY Purchase Campus Cops have flare pants for uniforms and use vintage 1800s wild west six shooters and ride horseback.....

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 8:06 PM

I hate the Williamsburg Hipsters. I was driving out to Norfolf , VA and stopped over. The place is over run with scawny dudes in three pointed hats blacksmithing and the women all wearing vintage 17th century clothing, think it is all ironic.....

the women weaving with a century old loom

sooooo ironic

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 8:13 PM

so any changes to the SUNY Purchase 2008 Culture Shock Festival?

why is IT kept secret....my New York State Taxes help pay for SUNY schools as do lotto and slaes tax so hell yes I am going and going to have an AWESOME time !!!!

who else is going ?

Posted by Burtrom Rothchield III | April 12, 2008 8:19 PM

any SUNY students willing to let people crash in their rooms?

it should be easy to pop doors to buildings and crash in the lounges on the sofas I would think?

'aint no river deep enough, aint fence high enuf, aint no desert vaast enuf, to keep me away from SUNY Purchase

Posted by Manuel Rodriguez | April 12, 2008 8:22 PM

FYI, 8:19: The name is spelled B-e-r-t-r-a-m.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2008 9:31 PM

well, 9:31, I was christined Burtrom, in the queens church, the vicar can attest to that.....

you may find my listing on Llloyd's Registery.

Posted by Burtrom Rothchild | April 13, 2008 4:28 AM

SOMEBODY ANSWER THIS:

I am an NYU Student involved with events on campus. I am often a gatekeeper. I never refuse the plea of some polite SUNY person who came all the way into the city to chill........

So why is SUNY Purchase posting ARMED GUARDS to keep non-students out. Real mature. A NYU, a STUDENT admits people to an event. We do not hide behind anyone....

State income and sales taxes and lotto proceeds help fund SUNY....why can't I go to this event without sneaking thru the woods our arriving early and waiting...?

I do not want to steal the crappy laptop of a SUNY student nor would I trash your run down unlocked buildings.....I have been there, it looks like a state mental institution....

Why is someone of MY OWN generation accusing me of intending to steal and vandalize by wanting to attend a music festival..............?

WHAT THE FUCK....please explain anyone....?

Posted by Mister Cool | April 13, 2008 5:15 AM

I am sorry but I can just not explain that 5:15 AM.

Has anyone posted this event on other boards or craigslist in NY, Philly, Boston....?

Could this be another Woodstock? Half a Million Strong ?

I am gonna go for the music scene and have no intent to commit any crime.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2008 5:24 AM

Is anyone here?

Testing one two three?

Is this thread active?

How do I post?

How many people viewed this thread and have not posted?

Posted by Suzie The Blond | April 13, 2008 6:33 AM

has anyone posted this event on other boards, my space, craigslist, facebook, friendster, aol home pages, geocities, Atari2600, Apple IIe, Sinclair ZX81, public access cable, 8-track tape, the bathroom wall ?

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2008 6:39 AM

whoa you guys are crazy

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2008 10:57 AM

ok, 10:77, you are a model of sanity for the rest of us ??

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2008 8:31 PM

so is this Culture fest thing on...???

Paris Hilton Paris Hilton Paris Hilton

sex sex
sex
sex
sex

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2008 9:10 PM

Wow they really managed to turn this into a shitty hipster party...

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2008 10:41 PM

it was all down hill after beers got raised to two dollars in the beer tent

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2008 10:49 PM

Another WOODSTOCK?! Are you daft?

This is a shitty college music festival. Comparing Hendrix to Cassidy...how laughable.

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2008 11:01 PM

Mister Cool,

I'll tell you why. Because you're obviously a douchebag.

Posted by Darryl | April 14, 2008 12:05 AM

culture shock is mediocre this year. past years have been great. the best part about culture shock is all the hot hipster fucks that serve as eye candy for me. why can't new paltz get some decent shows? damn it.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 12:58 AM

To everybody who thinks that their are "armed guards" or that it is at all difficult to sneak in, it's not at all. I've gone two of the last three years and I've never had a problem getting in.

First year I actually manage to drive onto the campus both days. Last year I parked a little way down the main road and walked onto campus. Not hard at all. I even managed to get by the actual security to see Girl Talk in the student center last year.

Just don't be stupid and you'll have no problem.

Random side note: Cat Power following Lightning Bolt was the worst programing mistake ever. Chan knew it. The Brian's knew it. The audience knew it. But yet it still happened. Tragic.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 1:48 AM

is fiasco lupe fiasco ?? also if we g to another suny school will we be allowed in?

Posted by bluntsss | April 14, 2008 2:41 AM

Why thank you, Daryll, know I know why.

I am a douchebag.

Probably because I eat your mom out so much that her pussy juices fill my stomach.

Posted by Mister Cool | April 14, 2008 7:56 AM

Any SUNY Student can enter any SUNY campus and use the facilities and attend events.

If you are refused, get the name and title of the person who refused you and complain to SUNY Central in Albany. Write a letter to the Chancellor.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 8:04 AM

Just so everyone knows... they check IDs at the entrance of the college. Its a small school, with only one entrance open. If you are not a student, and not on a guest list, you will not be allowed in. I went there for 4 years, and had my friends turned away at the door. On the plus side, if you do get in, there is a $2 beer tent. GO Hipsters!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 3:11 PM

anon 2:41
This is Fiasco: http://www.myspace.com/fiasconewyork

Posted by Leia | April 14, 2008 3:28 PM

3:11 - not true. there is not "one entrance", the bands play on a stage set up on a big lawn/courtyard/quad/whatever you want to call it. there's no guest list or anything, you just go. i thought it would be difficult last year (they tell you that you need to be signed up as a guest of a student) but that isn't true. you just go. anyone telling you otherwise is bullshitting you.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 4:51 PM

I'm a purchase student, although it "technically" is a student only show, the security doesn't start checking ID's at the entrance until 5 or 6 pm. If you show up early in the day, you will have no problem getting in =)

Posted by Phil | April 14, 2008 4:54 PM

having a friend at purchase also ensures entrance to the show

Posted by fresh2death | April 14, 2008 5:36 PM

Don't bother going to this. I've been working at this festival for many years. I'm a musician and a big music fan. I have not been impressed with the performances over the years. Dan Deacon is the exception. He makes you laugh.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 6:36 PM

6:36 is a SUNY Purchase Weenie who is afraid someone will steal his crappy laptop out of his shithole dorm room. This is a cool show which THESE students do not DESERVE. The above is just saying that to disuage YOU from having a good time at a festival YOUR taxes paid for.

Moreover, this is one ROAD entrance for cars. It is an OUTDOOR show on a 26 acre campus with no fence. You can walk in. People avoid the gated entry to the southern border of this country so YOU can handle this.

WHY NOT STTEND THE FREE SHOW YOURSELF AND MAKE YOUR OWN JUDGEMENT. ANYONE SAYING "IT SUCKS" IS JUST GETTING YOU NOT TO COME AND ENJOY SOMETHING YOUR TAXES PAY FOR !!!!!!!!!

WTF....????

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 7:07 PM

I would go if it was Sha Na Na....

An outdoor event, with beer, and college girls cooped up all winter....the first warm weekend...?

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 7:18 PM

you can crash in the woods, or in the dorm lounges where there are sofas, or the other buildings, or if you have scratch Arrowood Hotel (borders the campus)

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 7:28 PM

7:07 - Enough with the taxes crap you nitwit

The budget for the festival comes from a MASSIVE pool of money that comes from an "activity fee" charged to ALL 4,000 students.

If you're going to go, then just go. At the end of the day none of the students are going to care if a bunch of non-student indie dorks show up. But don't put yourself on some high-horse and say that the students don't "deserve it"

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 8:34 PM

We don't deserve a concert we payed for? ...Weird. your taxes do not pay for this. Our student activity fee does and is is organized by students. Students book the bands.

I don't have a problem with people coming from off campus but I do mind that sculptures get broken, people end up getting hurt, and our area is simply not respected by a lot of the people who show up. I hear about more rapes on my campus Culture Shock weekend than I do throughout the entire rest of the school year and that is a problem to me. So by all means come if you can get in but if you see something you know shouldn't be going on going on, DO something about it. We have to live in the mess when you get to leave.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:51 PM

emo

Posted by zack | April 14, 2008 11:54 PM

Our taxes DO support that festival. They support the very existence of SUNY Purchase. Why is it that YOU NIMWITS so freely pile into cars and Metro North Trains into the city and trance around NYU and our area trashing Washington Square Park. I have hear of rapes THERE.

If YOU ever come to the Manhattan and see something that should not be going on then "you must DO something about it."

WTF???????????

You are the worst hypocrits. You are worse than Georgr Bush! You presume everyone coming to SUNY Purchase for Culture Shock will commit a crime...

Does NYU close of the village because crime is committed by outsiders and post OUR security at the gate.......

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2008 4:30 AM

you Purchase twits are like constipated grandmothers....

so you tell people it is ok to "sneak in" if they do something if they see something not right....well what do our taxes pay for your security for???

maybe if you uptight ladies INVITED fellow students to come and have a nice time without having to sneak around secuirty illegally closeing a public access area, then people may be compelled to get involved...

YOU do ME a favor and stay the fuck out of my village from now on

get it BIOTCH ???

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2008 5:01 AM

Seems like my generation is the last cool one where people did not need security rules etc. Everyone these days is a free spirit UNTIL it involves HIM or HER DIRECTLTY...

I think anyone under forty should only congregate in chuckie-cheese with their parents alongside them and leave outdoor festivals to a wiser and cooler generation...

I for one stay away from NYU or some SUNY campus....

Posted by duke of the seventies | April 15, 2008 6:18 AM

I agree duke, it seems like these kids, infants really, will act all crazy at someone elses "space" and real retentive at their own....

that is why they need secuirty, wrist bands, and armed guards...

Never has their been a sorrier generation than anyone born after say 1981......

Posted by pure denizen | April 15, 2008 6:25 AM

this is seriously the silliest string of comments ever.

Sure, taxes pay for the SUNY system, but the amount that every individual NYS resident pays for SUNY Purchase to operate is negligible at best. We're definitely near the bottom when it comes to funding, but we try to make due. All of the events that non-students might find the least bit interesting or fun are funded by SUNY Purchase students--about $100 a semester. That pays for Culture Shock, Fall Fest, weekly shows and events at the Student Center and other club/organization events such as guest speakers, film showings or art exhibitions.

The grounds are open for ANYONE to visit and use--that's your right as a tax paying citizen. Culture Shock is the only time you MIGHT be turned away at the front of the school and that is simply because there are too many people on campus at that given point. That not only helps protect the campus and students, but non-student visitors as well.

Culture Shock is, by far, the most attended event at Purchase and the students organizing and running the event try to make it as fun and entertaining as possible. We are a small campus with everything pretty centrally located, so damage and theft is a concern; these concerns aren't unfounded--in the past, computers were stolen from Student Government offices, dorm rooms have been robbed and structures have been defaced or damaged.

If you do decide to come to SUNY Purchase for Culture Shock, or any event, we ask that you treat our campus, and for many of us, our home, with respect. I, for one, do the same when I visit another campuses.

Posted by ar | April 15, 2008 11:46 AM

as someone mentioned earlier they dont start checking vehicles until the late afternoon.
i actually like outside people, which means i can invite my non-Purchase friends(gasp!) to come hangout and drink beer with me.
So come forth!

haha, Purchase girls are pretty easy.
Although I didn't get laid last year and im a girl. wtf is up with that. hahah.

Posted by bla | April 15, 2008 1:53 PM

I have never been on an NYU campus in my life. I didn't even know that city schools had campuses. I think I walked PAST a dorm once to get to a restaurant so I honestly don't know what anyone is talking about. I believe you that it happens but I wouldn't know from it. I'm either on the SUNY Purchase campus or Philadelphia so don't get your panties in a bunch.

This isn't about territory to me. This is about how it isn't that hard to make friends with a student and have them register you as a guest if you aren't a SUNY student.

Whoever posted at 11:54...if I saw someone getting raped in Washington Square Park which I don't think I've ever been to (I'm an out of state student) I'd call the police or if the person were able to be taken down by someone my size I'd do so. What sort of question is that? Why wouldn't I do something?

As for you 4:30 I never said to sneak in. I said I didn't mind outside people coming. I have one person coming and she is a registered guest and its my responsibility to see that she isn't being a douche. Calling Purchase girls uptight is pretty comical since a few posts above someone was talking about how easy they are (which I can't really argue with). In addition I have no interest in hanging out on your sacred NYU campus. You, however, do not OWN the entire city. What is this, rival gangs? And did you seriously just say biotch?

I never said not to come. I said respect my home like I would yours if I were there. Apparently thats too much to ask. Sheesh.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2008 2:37 PM

Crap. i messed up the times. Apparently they're listed BELOW the post. Whoops. You get the idea...

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2008 2:43 PM

some of the post were mine and some were my wing-man zach's....regardless, none of us had any intention other than watch the general scene, its just that zach hated it when you posted, don't rape our women and steal our stuff and vandalize our campus....he never threatened to do that....we never tell people that are coming into our campus (manhattan) not to do those things, that's just the law....you will probably see us Fri/Sat, we have a suite at Arrowood (zach's dad's company gets us rooms...) if you find us, say, were u those cool guys on brooklynvegan, then maybe we can hang, we would even invite back to our room to partake in our 420 (which we never use outdoors ever) and we wont say "dont steal our stuff and rape our women and trash our room...

Posted by a too cool nyu student | April 15, 2008 6:44 PM

I bet these dweebies were the kids who invited their friends over and said don't touch this, that, etc....

I BET they were....

Don't worry, I do not rape, steal, murder or vandalize and it was uncalled for you to remind me not to...and if someone was inrent on doing that, would they then stop because you posted not to.....

dude, grow up....

Posted by mr too cool for a suny school | April 15, 2008 6:57 PM

I BET they were....

dude, grow up....

Posted by mr too cool for a suny school | April 15, 2008 7:11 PM

Purchase College has there own myspace page....way cool...myspace is so cool....

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2008 7:15 PM

i never said you specifically would do anything. But that shit DOES happen during culture shock and it really sucks. Where did I say you're going to do anything like that. I don't remember pleading people not to do certain things. I said thats the reason people sometimes don't want people coming from off campus, particularly unregistered. You act like im being cautious for not reason. You should see this campus post shock. All I asked was this if you want to be part of it you should also be caring it people do those things. Looking out for fellow humans can't be that strange of an idea, guys.

Were you saying you don't smoke outdoors because I'd scold you or something? Jesus you guys do think we're uptight.

PS to "mr too cool for a suny school" - sorry you're too cool for a SUNY school. Some of us don't have the luxury going to private schools and living in Manhattan. I also never said you personally would do anything. But people show up here and do rude, drunk, anonymous shit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2008 11:42 PM

not lupe fiasco, just normal fiasco

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 12:05 AM

newly edited lineup everyone...
straight from the facebook invite, created by the curator/organizer of the whole weekend;

FRIDAY
1 p.m. Under the Rasta Influence
2 p.m. Fiasco
3 p.m. Polar Bear Club
4 p.m. Cassidy
5 p.m. the BunnyBrains
6 p.m. Casiotone for the Painfully Alone
7 p.m. Atlas Sound
8 p.m. Men (JD from Le Tigre)
9 p.m. El-P
10 p.m. Jadakiss
11 p.m. (in Student Center) DJ Cocoa Chanelle, DJ L

SATURDAY
1 p.m. Care Bears On Fire
2 p.m. Ecstatic Sunshine
3 p.m. High Places
4 p.m. Yacht
5 p.m. Amarfis
6 p.m. Mr Easy
7 p.m. Gang Gang Dance
8 p.m. Fucked Up
9 p.m. Deerhoof
10 p.m. Cursive
11 p.m. (in the Student Center) Holy Ghost!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 12:48 AM

Jadakiss and Atlas Sound playing the same day? That's great any way you slice it.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 1:00 AM

11:42....

well...you did warn us nyu heathens not to do this and that...well since things happen at any concert or any outdoor event you should go on every thread for a live show or festival and tell people "to behave"

you are an uptight constipated old lady....even the other SUNY people say that...they probably even hate you....

and what "luxury" to I have? my family worked hard, i worked hard in school, I work part time, I will have loans to repay, talk about taking care of things, why are our dorms carpeted etc with nice lounges.....I know a visual Arts Proffesor at Purchase who HATES the students there...one girl was found kicking the walls of the building and when arrested it was revealled she had been cutting herself....

it is just really not cool to warn people who did not threaten to do anything not to do anything....

we really just like the live music, we follow these bands, I will now make it known to 420 away from you dweebs who will go running to the campus cops, also NOT to chat up any girls who are purchase studnets at all, they have all these protective Purchase men , no purchase girl shall want to meet a heathen NYU student...

we might do "rude anonymous shit"....

hey I read about a psycho purchase student that robbed a store and murdered the clerk in long island....

I think they should put a fence around your campus to keep you people in, thats why you need armed guards......

post your armed guards, have you parents check for wristbands, wear your college letter sweaters....."P" for pussy...

Posted by mr way to cool for the uptight suny school | April 16, 2008 4:34 AM

hey 11:42

"people show up here and do rude, drunk, anonymous shit."

people do that aywhere, no just precious purchase college...

so you should on every thread on every music board telling peope to behave at all events...

sounds like a constipated grandma to me....

wear a "P" sweater to identify yourself as a "registered" student....and you seem so INTO "registering" people...that is way cool

p is for pussy

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 4:55 AM

purchase students do have a tendency to call the campus cops so i would say do not bring your 420....

Posted by really cool girl from pratt | April 16, 2008 6:26 AM

I do not even go to college. I spport myself as a photog assistant and as a photog am a part of the indie music scene. I have seen scores of college kids come to places like the Market Hotel and think it is their right to piss on the floor, throwthings etc.

I will be their at Culture Shock and be on "the precious list", b aware these bands have padded their "lists" of crew and have distibuted word on how to bypass the campus cops through the woods, arriveearly etc.

These bands want any kind of publicity and the indie music scene has its own vibe shit happens, you can not gumball pop these bands.....net year SUNY Purchse have your festival catered by Chucky Cheese and have Britney Spears perform...

Posted by just me | April 16, 2008 8:29 AM

An Indie Music Festival at SUNY Purchase is like Vespa Scooter Setting up a table at Sturgis.....

Or Hilton having a camp at Burning Man....

Ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by MR. LOL | April 16, 2008 9:11 AM

Posted by a tool nyu student | April 15, 2008 6:44 PM

There, fixed.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 9:42 AM

"haha, Purchase girls are pretty easy.
Although I didn't get laid last year and im a girl. wtf is up with that. hahah."

It doesn't mean you're not easy, it means you're fat and/or fugly.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 9:47 AM

Some of you are morons, Do you think that campus PD is not reading this, LOL! They will be watching the woods and the busses now dopes!

Posted by Joe | April 16, 2008 11:24 AM

Even fuglys can get laid if there are enough drunks around. If they still not get laid, there is a bigger problem!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 12:00 PM

haha im not fat or ugly.
just anti-social.

Posted by bla | April 16, 2008 1:01 PM

People DO do obnoxious shit at any event. And it annoys me at any event but particularly at when I have to live in the mess afterwards. I'm sure anyone who lives in the area of a concert dreads it and i don't blame them. Someone just talked about people pissing on the floor at a venue. And I'm sure that bothers them and it should. You're acting like I'm saying it only happens here and its my sacred campus I'm protecting. I just don't feel like living in even more of a shit hole than this place already is. You aren't ENTITLED to be here. So if not being irresponsible isn't possible, don't show up.

I'm a pussy why? Because I don't want to live in filth and walk in vomit to get to class on Monday? The blows you make at my manhood by calling me a grandma and a pussy are pretty amusing seeing as how I'm a woman...

And Joe- I doubt UPD is reading this. Its a music festival, not a prison. Security isn't that intense.

And to those discussing getting laid- If you can't get laid at Culture Shock something is probably wrong with you or you weren't trying.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 4:44 PM

"I do not even go to college. I spport myself as a photog assistant and as a photog am a part of the indie music scene."

hahahaha.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 6:21 PM

just wanted to let all you brooklyn hipsters know that I am a member of the purchase police force and i am going to personally be checking each and every incoming bus to make sure none of you pasty little dorks ever set foot on our campus

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 7:21 PM

"If you can't get laid at Culture Shock something is probably wrong with you or you weren't trying."

Or you don't have very low standards.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 10:11 PM

This campus is so big, the campus cops can not be everywhere at once. There are maybe three or four at a time, they will be at the entrance and at the event, there are a lot of woods everywhere....

Read about what happened at Cedar Fest Mich State...

I am a Columbia Student and I met a Purchase Girl in the City, I let her stay over and she stole my ipod....so Purchase owes me an ipod...

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 11:32 PM

look at the website, or the FBI statistics, there are like 15 cops maybe, half have to be sleeping so the most seven...they can not seal off the woods, they will not search a bus, you can get in early and say going to admissions or the museam or the performing arts center....

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 11:37 PM

' I am hipster, hear me roar, in numbers too big to ignore, and I am coming to hang out soon near youu..... '

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2008 11:40 PM

Campus Police here, where are the damn donuts....?

Posted by Officer O'Shannigan | April 16, 2008 11:47 PM

TO THE SUNY PURCHASE ORGANIZER CHICK:

Maybe next year you guys could include other campuses in the Greater New York Area to participate in the cost and organization of the event. You could probably even raise money through vender tables etc. And maybe even make long lasting relationships with people from other schools.

Some people like the music but do not dress all "hip" and "cool" as you. Sorry.

Posted by A Really Lame Hofstra Accounting Student | April 17, 2008 7:16 AM

I also enjoy indie music but when I meet people at concerts and events, girls ask me where I go to school, I say I study automotive service and repair and their eyes glaze over. My mentor at Apex, a kind gentleman of sixty-five years, said he heard the same shit in the late sixties early seventies where he was shunned for his lack of book smarts but when all the hippie chicks VW Bugs died on the side of the road, then he was made to feel "included."

Mr. Hofner says, remember son, all these cool with it college girls will be house frows with mini-vans to service one day and then it will be payback time. I will never be able to discuss Nietzsche and all that but I will be able to convince you of the existence of an abstract named part that needs replacement...

Posted by An Apex Technical School Student | April 17, 2008 7:31 AM

#1) Why do you uptight SUNY Purchase Weenies start a thread about how cool festival will be on this blog and then tell outsiders they can not come....

You think you "art students" own the music?

If it is a private event, just promote it on campus, not here (and then get ALL ANAL about "outsiders."

SUNY PURCHASE - ANAL SCHOOL

Posted by just one question........? | April 17, 2008 7:36 AM

Enjoy he Fsival, be safe and cool.

Thet are also FAT.

Posted by A Wise SUNY Purchase Alumni | April 17, 2008 7:45 AM

OMG this is so annoying.

come to fucking culture shock if you want and have fun but don't be an ass about it.

There will be campus police and police from the surrounding towns, so don't be fooled, the campus will have more of a police activity.

And yeah..you won't be able to sneak into the dorm lounges...so just forget about that idea.

This is supposed to be an enjoyable time for all so lets make it that way and stop these stupid ass rumors.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 10:56 AM

OMG this is so annoying.

invite me to Culture Shock but do not be an ass about it.

There will be a few campus police but the surrounding towns need their own cops on Fri/Sat nights and who pays for them????

Dorm buildings are always open, students prop doors and break locks and leave lounge windows open, the other buildings have nice sofas to crash on, or sleep under the stars on the grass...

this would be an enjoyable time if the SUNY Purchase PTA Mom's were not sooooo like anal about it

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 11:21 AM

"Enjoy he Fsival, be safe and cool.
DO NOT try to meet the women. Every Purchase girl is psychotic, a cutter, a kleptomaniac, and a fictious childhood abuse victim."

also, cow tippers.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 11:28 AM

HOLY HELL! Yes there will be other police officers from the surrounding towns. They are having several police officers come to the event but ALL of police officers from other towns..

If you know anything about the lounges..all the windows will be locked and so will the doors. If you want to sleep in the grass..then go ahead, no one gives a shit.

did you happen to think that maybe the students of SUNY Purchase are anal because every culture shock extreme damage is done by non students and shit is stolen..wouldn't you be alittle protective knowing past events...hmm YEAH.

and if the suny purchase students are so anal and it won't be an enjoyable time..than don't come!

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 11:45 AM

but NOT all of the police officers**

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 11:47 AM

why would you want to sleep in the lounges....don't you have a home to go back to

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 11:48 AM

i think that chick that doesnt go to college but will be on the list as photog, Leia Jospe!

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 11:51 AM

that image of having to sneak through the woods to go to a concert, classic!

also, remember just as someone's getting busted, that's your chance to sneak in!

you guys are too cool, I wish I was still in college and doing stupid shit like that.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 11:53 AM

Dan Deacon organized one culture shock, with Gwar, they never actually performed. He helped with others but he only organized that one. So get yo' facts straight:

'02: Dan Deacon
'03: Offer Ben-Arie
'04: Despot
'05: Despot
'06: Some Dude
'07: Some Dude
'08: Some Chick

Feel free to fill in the blanks
I probably enjoyed '03 the best but '02 was cool too, went to '04 but haven't gone back since. Way too hipster for my taste.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 1:24 PM

a wise suny purchase "ALUMNI." nice, real nice. we don't all cut and aren't fat so please stop making rash stereotypes.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 2:07 PM

not fat, sorry. clepto or whatever. psychotic. can we please be friendly?

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 2:11 PM

hold on, Dan Deacon played there in 2002?! Im so jealous, you guys were there at the beginning!

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 2:31 PM

Deacon is an alum. He was all over Purchase (before my time though). He still makes random appearance in old footage on our TV station.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 4:05 PM

Deacon Organized CS in '02, the above list of organizers not performers. He did perform 03, opening for Kool Keith.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 6:33 PM

What year did culture shock begin?

I looked up on Wikipedia but very little info.

Is it as old as the school?

Posted by future student | April 17, 2008 7:22 PM

No, Culture Shock isn't really that old. I think it started sometime in the early nineties, and was more of a showcase of purchase bands, not the megashow that it has become.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 7:34 PM

Are black people allowed to go?

It seems like hipsters (especially SUNY types) support Obama etc. but if a black person shows up somewhere they just freak....

Are they gonna freak if black guys show up?

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2008 7:36 PM

I HERBY STATE MY SUPPORT FOR PEACEFULL GATHERINGS AY MUSIC FESTIVALS. I DO NOT SUPPORT VIOLATING THE LAW. ANYONE HAS A LAWFULL RIGHT TO ENTER A PUBLIC FACILITY. HOWEVER, ONE SHOULD NOT INJURE, STEAL OR DAMAGE OR USE DRUGS.

Posted by my statement of intent | April 17, 2008 7:44 PM

It really burns me when assholes damage drugs!

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 1:55 AM

Man, that would be cool if Crosby, Stills and Nash Just Show up.

Posted by Mr. Asleep For The Past Forty Years | April 18, 2008 3:57 AM

....um, anyone care to just discuss the music?

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 5:00 AM

Deerhoof is a good band.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 6:03 AM

Ok, 6:03am, what is it about them that makes them a good band? How did you personally discover them and what was your first impression?

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 7:08 AM

7:08, I first heard Deerhoof as a promoter, a cd landed on my desk some years ago and I gave it a listen. They reminded me of a hardcore version of Cornelius. I'm glad they were booked, look forward to seeing them at Purchase and in Brooklyn later this summer.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 8:46 AM

ok thanks for clearing that up regarding Dan Deacon, his bio is kind of sketchy sometimes. I didn't even know he grew up in NYC and just moved to Baltimore in last few years.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 9:37 AM

That sux that we cant bring any friends! What about us transfer students that want to go but dont want to be the loser hangin all by himself? You should at least allow for one guest. Just my opinion.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 11:33 AM

if you don't go to Purchase or have a friend who does, you do NOT belong at Culture Shock. HANDS DOWN. NO EXCEPTIONS. this show is not open to the public public. it's for students and their guests. soooooo...

for all you creeps wanting to find drunk girls to fuck, you're pathetic.

for all you assholes looking to find unlocked rooms to steal from, you're dicks.

for those who think that you pay for culture shock with your taxes, you're moronic. you don't.

for those of you who go to NYU, you're lame.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 12:52 PM

hey 11:33
what about alumni? I hope there is some mechanism by which these gentle folks can return.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 12:56 PM

I mean 12:52

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 12:57 PM

Chances are if you are on this message board you don't have a job or pay taxes anyway, but are just some lame college student. Your mom and dad are definitely invited, because they paid taxes, but not you cause you stink.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 1:02 PM

Google map the campus, if you get there early just chill and stay, you can go through the woods, it is an outdoor festival, they have a checkpoint for vehicles, they dont randomly id people, if you are not doing anything else wrong the worst that can happen if they catch you is make you leave...

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 1:05 PM

if you go go for the music and general scene only....

stay away from the women.....

just trust me...a buddy of mine hooked up with one and it turned into Kathy Btaes in Misery....

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 1:07 PM

my mom used to be a psycholgist for the school, the girls are ALL in counselling, they are cutters, kleptos and "gothic"....enjoy the festival but do not make eye contact with the women, one guy I knew danced with one for two seconds (did not even touch her) and she prosecuted him for eye-rape....

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 1:10 PM

is it true Dan Deacon might be there? he was in NYC yesterday.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 1:10 PM

I am 11:33 and I am a purchase student but I was under the impression that we were not allowed to bring guests. I am glad to hear that we can. Thanks for clearing that up 12:52, I'll be looking for your sunglasses.

Peace

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 1:10 PM

wait a minute, 10pm tbd? who is that?

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 1:12 PM

12:56, if you have two feet walk onto the campus....

or an alumni ID card...?

call the alumni office and ask for a "pass"

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 1:13 PM

im coming all the way from buffalo for this one with 5 friends in a van!

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 1:13 PM

My families taxes do pay for SUNY schools and SUNY families welfare or we employ the parents of SUNY studnets or somehow we pay for these kleptp, cutting little pychos

Posted by NYU Student | April 18, 2008 1:14 PM

any field reports....it must have started...have to wait until 7pm until I can get there...through the woods

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 1:16 PM

how thick are these "woods"? should we bring a flashlight?

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 1:20 PM

Don't come to Culture Shock if you have nothing to do with Purchase (i.e. you don't go here or have friends here), it's not for YOU. Get over it!

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 2:38 PM

i'm 12:52!!!

alumni.. hmmm.... okay yah you're cool in my book.

AND OTHER PEOPLE-- STOP FUCKING SAYING THAT YOUR TAXES PAY FOR CULTURE SHOCK!! they do not. your taxes may pay for part of the school's existence... but culture shock is payed for by student fees. if we stopped paying the fees, culture shock would not exist. if you think that by paying taxes you're entitled to attend campus activities, think again. seriously. do you think you're allowed to attend classes and use our facilities too?

Posted by kristina | April 18, 2008 3:14 PM

2:38, can you be my SUNY Purchase friend?

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 3:15 PM

1:20pm, the woods are not that thick, any basic flashlight rated at at least 5,000 candlepower should do.

3:14pm, um, our taxes DO pay for Culture Shock, anyone can audit a SUNY class, anyone can use the facilities for a fee, anyone can walk the grounds, the festival is held outdoors, the area is maintained by state employees who pay taxes, all the campus cops are paid for by us, the event itself , the festival is free, held outside...(cont)

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 3:28 PM

fiasco just cancelled..... sucks

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 3:33 PM

(cont)
now lets say I am on the road that adjoins the campus, can I stand on the side of the road, or can only a SUNY student do that? can we heathens listen to the music and watch the sun set, or do you control the air and the sky and the sun and the moon as well....?

BOTTOM LINE: If you look up the SUNY charter you will see that since its inception in 1948 SUNY was to maintain open campuses for all....

You basically get an education for 1/10 of what you would pay at a private school...just like the residents of a high school can use the fieldof it public schools since they PAY FOR IT...

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 3:34 PM

SUNY Purchase Students:

Get over it!!!

You do not own public lands, you do not own "music", these bands have a following and people will get in.

You all come into the city and hang around at NYU things and many time are allowed to remain AT A PRIVATE AFFAIR...funny how you get all uptight.

Anyone can and should go to the concert and it should not even be said if you BREAK the law you will face consequences but not for just being there...

SUNY Purchase - drink your prune juice ! Do it NOW!

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 3:39 PM

funny how these wild and crazy Purchase students who take the train into the city become all uptight and serious when THEY host an event...

they should hold next years festival at chuckie cheese and have their mommies chaperon

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 3:42 PM

Do the Purchase girl with the sunglasses, we are a cool troupe of NYU students who are coming in a few hours, you will not see it nor will we mention it, but, we have nice cars, summer houses in the hamptons, places in the city, we charter small jets to travel, etc, maybe be nice to us and by nice meaning do not report our peaceful presence to the campus cops, and you may just have a summer of hanging in the hamptons, winters jetting places in a charter flight, cars that do not break down, no more crappy food.....and a better existence than any Purchase Man ( if you want to call them that) can offer

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 3:48 PM

"with that said, i'm looking for a hot boy to dance with who doesn't go here and isn't going to rape me/steal from me/kill me/etc. i'll be the one in sunglasses. ha."

enuf said

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 3:51 PM

As a Purchase student, I think you city "folk" are making too big of a deal. Feel free to try and get in, but you'll probably be stopped by a state trooper. But who knows, you might get in too. Is it worth the time and money from the city to risk it? That's your call.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 3:52 PM

i love all this 'getting in' talk when its a wide open campus with a concert being held on a giant lawn area. there are no walls, hence no entrance to supposedly 'get in.' everyone is 'getting in.'

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 3:56 PM

just go up there...

worst can happen is they turn you away, go to Port Chester, New Paltz, etc.

if you just peacefully watch the show there is NO ISSUE MAN

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 4:54 PM

Is there a limit on guests a purchase student can bring?

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 5:14 PM

i went to cultural shock a few years back absloutely no trouble getting in...$1 beers at beer tent was a good time...not able to make it this year but deerhoof, cursive and fucked up is sure to be a good time

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 5:16 PM

i'm so turned on by reading this..

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 5:45 PM

this is an outdoor festival at an ungated public land, just go, you may not be able to get a car in, so park somewhere nearby and walk through the woods, make a map, bring GPS, c'mon people, even if they ID you while there, the WORST that can happenis they tell you to leave, then leave, like anywhere else that is PUBLIC property you can be arrested for commiting an ACTUAL crime, but these little SS Hitler SUNY people want to make being on public land a crime !

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 6:16 PM

i hear there are fugly psychotic cannibal women in the purchase woods.don't try to sneak through there. they're waiting for ya....and they pay taxes!

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 8:26 PM

How many Purchase chicks have put out so far?

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2008 8:54 PM

I got in tonight, no problem at all.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2008 1:30 AM

I would like an investigation as to how these students obtained the money for these student fees. Purchase students are uptight and anal. Everyone remember this when they come to the city.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2008 3:57 AM

Why did this thread just die?

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2008 5:01 AM

Why can't people just discuss the music?

Nobody is out to "get" anyone....

Posted by Mr. Enlightenment | April 19, 2008 5:05 AM

polar bear club = great
polar bear club playing jay's place in the olde = fucking awesome

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2008 5:19 AM

I am in my sixties. I love music. It has to be new and it has to be live. I will not go to this festival, however, I will say my piece here.I was a New Paltz Student in the early seventies where we had "events" where we invited the community and embraced the chance to be a good neighbor and give something back. I was a Residence Hall Leader at Stony Brook during 1985 Hurricane Gloria and the two week blackout and the campus opened the gym so surrounding residents could shower and get ice.

I am getting weary now, I mostly go to outdoor events or small venues.

I am weary from age but more from this mentality of these times of elitism from the right (where I expect it) and now the left....and even on college campuses....

I have lived my life and I am ready to pass soon but I feel bad for the young people of today and tommorrow. I was blessed to have been born when I was and be young in the sixties/seventies...

Posted by an old soul | April 19, 2008 6:10 AM

SUNY Purchase students throw their litter out of their cars when they drive by.

I feel like that native american guy with the tear down my cheek.

Posted by Harrison Landowner | April 19, 2008 6:18 AM

"I got in tonight, no problem at all.

The Purchase people who were wearing the homemade shirts that said that Culture Shock is paid for by mandatory student fees and is for students only really need to lighten up and stop being such nazis about the whole thing."

the shirts actually had nothing to do with elitism or anything. we made them because our mandatory student activity fee is up for vote this year so the joke is kids employed by the school are literally "paid for by your mandatory student activity fee".

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2008 9:13 AM

you guys are fucking stupid.
you did not PAY FOR ANYTHING with your state taxes, concerning this concert. each student pays a mandatory student activity fee which actually amounts to a lot of money, which supports all of this culture shock. so STOP trying to claim that you have a right to come to our campus because you fucking don't! this isn't some open call for everyone to come hangout.

this is supposedly a "free" event but EACH STUDENT has paid something, i think twice even for each semester. and yes, our campus is full of stupid hipster blahs, so who gives a shit about ones coming in. just be fucking respectful!! and cool and love the music. just stop claiming you have rights to our campus because you don't.

and as far as some shitty rival between NYU because purchase students come there and crash shows? i have NEVER heard of any NYU shows and if i have i would never go to one.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2008 10:10 AM

The previous comment is an excellent example of the results of a SUNY Purchase education.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2008 10:40 AM

I went to purchase, and came across this posting, and 10:40's comment is totally hilarious. Honestly, coming from someone who has gone to purchase, it wasn't always like this. I understand people are worried about vandalism and theft, but that is why there are $10,0000+ dollars worth of extra cops on campus during CS. The fact is that non-students people can go to purchase and can attend the show, and that is a good thing. This brings positive attention to our school, and after all Purchase is a cool forward thinking place. So for those of you who paid to attend purchase and paid for culture shock, ENJOY IT while it lasts! And, for those who didn't pay just be nice to the purchase kids who did, and to those who put the event together so all could enjoy.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2008 1:30 PM

if you live in NYS, pay taxes... we do own your school.

Posted by John Doe | April 19, 2008 2:34 PM

You're all fucking dumb.

Posted by chris | April 19, 2008 3:05 PM

Especially me, I'm a total retard.

Posted by chris | April 19, 2008 6:25 PM

"the shirts were just meant to encourage people to vote yes in a few days. we weren't being "nazis".

if that's the case then i apologize for my remark. It seemed like an obvious reference to this thread to me at the time.

I didn't don't go to Purchase but I went to the festival, as I have in the past.

I didn't grab a water bottle for myself, even though I could have, cause that would be inappropriate being a non-student.

I bought some merch off Casiotone cause I like what he does and want to help support him.

I was there for the music. Many (most?) of the Purchase students seemed to be uninterested in much of the music. If somebody is genuinely interested in the music and wants to support a band(s) that are playing, and if that person is respectful towards the campus, there is no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to attend.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2008 7:02 PM

Kind of like illegal immigration, Americans pay taxes and Mexicans come and use our benefits, if that is ok, and Purchase Liberal Weenies support illegal immigration, why can't we crash their little hipster fest....oh cause it affects them directly??? silly liberals, tricks are for kids

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2008 7:54 PM

We hipsters must stick together.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2008 8:23 PM

"Americans pay taxes and Mexicans come and use our benefits"

It's not that cut-and-dried. Illegal immigrants (they're not all Mexicans, you know -- some of them are even European) pay sales taxes. And those that have phony Social Security numbers not only have taxes withheld from their pay, they pay Social Security and Medicare taxes that they won't get back in benefits (barring another amnesty).

As for those who get paid cash off the books, by and large, they take jobs that there aren't enough legal workers for or that few legal workers would take unless the wage is so high it would prompt the employer to eliminate the position.

(That said, I'm not in favor of maintaining the status quo.)

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2008 9:32 PM

wake up idiot...

"

"

If someone can not afford a landscaper because the company pays $12/hr + benefits and then charges $24/man hour then (gasp) that person will have to (gasp) do his or her own yard work more often.

Using your logic, we should have slavery, so slaves can do the jobs for free that nobody will do "unless the wage is so high it would prompt the employer to eliminate the position.".....

Or maybe the upper tier people with $ will have less in their hedge funds......

YOU ARE SUCH AN IDIOT....

If you piece of garbage hipsters can pay $800 for pants maybe you could buy $40 pants and a $10 box of blueberrys.

Illegal is illegal....

Everyone in the country working should be paid ON TH BOOKS and have basic benefits. Like landscapers did 25 years ago when (gasp) most people did most of their own yardwork.....

BUT YOU LITTLE TRUST FUND LIMO LIBERALS WOULD NEVER (GASP) want to mow your own lawn or pay $150 for legal workers to do it........

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2008 3:07 AM

Well I bought a Mercedes, I will illegally register it out of state because hey, I can not afford New York State Insurance...

Or maybe I could buy a Toyota, used, and have enough money to pay for legal insurance....

Or maybe I do not want to pay for the Mercedes so I will just make an "undocumented purchase" which some simple people just call "stealing"......

FUCK YOU ASS HAT LIBERAL

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2008 3:15 AM

as hipsters we must stick together !

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2008 3:20 AM

anon 11:51:

Posted by Leia Jospe | April 20, 2008 9:32 AM

Conservative asses be taking the board over. WHERE YOU AT OBAMA?!?!

Posted by Mark B. | April 20, 2008 11:45 AM

ummm anyone wanna comment on the festival itself...?

Posted by Purchase Student abroad.... | April 20, 2008 11:49 AM

fucked up almost got arrested and their set got cut short. Cursive called all the purchase kids assholes who were being drunk and trying to cause shit, then cursive played an entire set of new and old songs while hippies spun their neon hula hoops all through the night

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2008 12:00 PM

man, when i think of "awesome musical festival" the first thing that comes to mind is "will cursive be there?"

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2008 1:10 PM

To the idiot Purchase students posting on here.

I went to that stupid thing yo call a festival yesterday. Fucked Up were great but anyway I had read this thread before i went.I got in with 3 friends easy as pie. And in honor of all of the dumb things you guys posted on here I got super fucked up and I pissed and threw up on your campus. Oh and one of my buddies picked up one of the only actual pretty girls who go there and fucked the shit out of her in his apartment. I remember her saying exactly "Purchase guys are losers"

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2008 7:16 PM

the weekend was great

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2008 11:55 PM

The thought of Purchase kids trashing Washington Sq. park is hilarious, let alone the thought of us coming to an NYU show ever. NYU does not own Washington Sq. Park, despite the regular appearance of kids walking to class in their pyjamas and Uggs every weekday morning. This is New York City—show some respect.

That aside, Culture Shock '08 was my third and favourite yet.

Posted by a sunglasses girl | April 21, 2008 1:09 AM

1:09, thats no surprise, CS 06 & 07 sucked some serious goat balls, this one was only a little better.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2008 7:58 AM

hey crazy people,

hope you were all able to get onto campus/happy/responsibly intoxicated/nicely tanned/fucked by a slew of freshmen.

wish Fucked Up could've played longer but there's probably a reason they don't do a lot of school shows. otherwise I thought the weekend was pretty cool.

if you weren't able to get a t-shirt, please don't message me on facebook.

thanks!

Posted by alaina, organizer chick | April 21, 2008 9:20 AM

Hey, people, post your experiences vis-a-vi getting in and staying in the campus grounds.

Any pointers?

Let us keep this thread alive for Culture Shock 2009.

Purchase students, I think your campus survived, the vibe I get is only the loser men and the dykes do not want outsiders but the normal chicks were pretty happy to see us, agree or disagree?

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2008 4:46 PM

HEY LITTLE MISS SUNGLASSES:

Did you find your dance partner?

Was he a fellow Purchasonian...?

Did anything get "trashed"?

Posted by NYU Guy | April 21, 2008 4:56 PM

this entire thread = like 4 purchase kids and a couple of NYU kids

Nobody else really cares about this stuff besides the 6 of you.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2008 9:19 PM

That's it? No more comments?

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2008 10:28 PM

I could pwn all of you whenever I want

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2008 10:34 PM

Start visiting Purchase now to get the lay of the land to prepare for Culture Shock 2009 and be able to get in...

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2008 10:29 AM

Hey is this "alaina, organizer chick"?

Her calendar says there's a party at her place in BKLN right now!

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2008 11:06 PM

A picture from that party: http://tinyurl.com/6z73y5

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2008 11:33 PM

whatever dude.

at least those people ain't jerking off on the internet at 11:33 on a Saturday night like YOU.

and don't go saying I'm the same as you. I'm three hours behind you in another time zone, LOSER!

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2008 11:45 PM

anyone still read this thread? please leave a comment

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:59 AM

heyheyhey

Posted by Shaq-Fu | June 23, 2008 7:22 PM

Now is the time to scout out Purchase College, cool summer people, get prepared for next year Culture Shock 2009.

Posted by the bad spelling travellller | July 2, 2008 1:36 PM

this was the worst culture shock in the history of culture shock way to get a buch of shit ass no name hipster scumbag bands. at least years prior the organizers had some music taste and didn't book bands that only you the cowardinator likes its for everyone. so go fuck your self
bitch

Posted by Fuck you | July 19, 2008 11:29 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 21, 2008 7:04 PM

"Hey is this "alaina, organizer chick"?"

I'd hit it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 1, 2008 3:20 AM

test

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 5:50 PM

"if you guys thought this year was bad the kid booking next year is into linkin park and dave mathhews, farewell good culture shocks"

truest fucking statement ever. 2009 culture shock lineup is an embarrassment. this is the same festival that used to book acts like thurston moore, anco, yo la tengo and cat power, correct? 2010 is a little bit better, but doesn't really compare to older culture shocks

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2010 1:58 AM

Posted by برامج 2011 | February 22, 2011 5:36 AM

Posted by منتديات | February 22, 2011 5:36 AM

Posted by كازنوفا | March 2, 2011 4:38 PM

Do you think that campus PD is not reading this, LOL! They will be watching the woods and now I dont know what you mean

Posted by Last Minute Urlaub | February 25, 2012 5:03 PM