by Black Bubblegum
DOWNLOAD: The Sword - "Fire Lances Of The Ancient Hyperzephyrians" (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Soilent Green - "Antioxidant" (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Iron Maiden - "Intro", "Aces High", & "Two Minutes To Midnight", Live in Tokyo Feb 16th, 2008 (VIDEO, WMV)
Neurot Recordings have announced details for THREE Neurosis-related releases in the next two months! First up, a new solo album from the mighty Scott Kelly, who will release The Wake on May 5th, his first release in the seven years since his debut Spirit Bound Flesh. Two weeks later, the world's most intense elementary school teacher Steve Von Till drops A Grave is a Grim Horse, his first non-Harvestman release in six years (Harvestman recently collabo'd with Fear Falls Burning). More details on A Grave Is A Grim Horse can be found here. The third we knew about, but has now gone official: A Storm Of Light's debut And We Wept the Black Ocean Within will be released on June 2nd. Read our recent interview with Josh Graham here.
Tickets for the previously mentioned second At The Gates show go on sale Thursday April 3rd at 10 AM here. Tomas Lindberg's other band, the mighty Disfear, have announced a few more dates, including another show in Brooklyn at Europa on May 22nd with Trap Them and Bloodhorse! Ticket info for Disfear at Europa isn't available, but there are still tickets for their show at the Knitting Factory. New tour dates are down below.
TORCHE's Meanderthal cover
As previously announced, The Sword, Torche, and Stinking Lizaveta are hitting up the Music Hall Of Williamsburg, but now we know it is part of a full-blown tour together! Tour dates below. The video for The Sword's "Fire Lances Of The Ancient Hyperzephyrians" premiered on Stereogum recently, the song is downloadable above, and check out their entire album streaming on myspace. The Sword's Gods Of The Earth is out now on (my thoughts below) and Torche's Meanderthal is coming April 8.
Jacob Bannon (Converge) has released his first material as a solo artist: a new 7" entitled The Blood Of Thine Enemies. It's one song, it's only available on 7" (and not on his forthcoming solo L.P., nor his Dwid collabo), side B is blank with an etching, and it is limited... oh so limited. One color is now sold out and that means only another 3 to go. Pick it up now before the copies start trickling out on eBay. In other news, Jacob Bannon casually announces a new Converge album is in the works.
Æthenor, featuring Stephen O'Malley (Sunn 0))), KTL, Burning Witch), Daniel O'Sullivan (Guapo), Vincent de Roguin (Shora) and Steve Noble, will release their new album Betimes Black Cloudmasses on DHF records in April. Kristoffer Rygg (Ulver) also did some vocal tracks on the album and will play his first show in ten years(!) with the band on April 20th at the Roadburn Festival in Tilburg, Holland. The David Tibet curated event will feature his band (Current 93), Skitliv (featuring Maniac formerly of Mayhem), and Ricki Lee Jones.
Amenra - "Razoreater"
Belgium's Amenra have announced a short tour of the US, including shows with Sanford Parker's Minsk (who is re-releasing Out of a Center Which Is Neither Dead Nor Alive on CD via At A Loss), Rosetta, and one with Battlefields and Starkweather at Lit Lounge on May 12th! Stream the new track "Razoreater" from the upcoming Mass IV at their MySpace and check out the video.
Despise You on 11/17/07
Crom (mems Despise You) have announced a new split 5" with Agorophobic Nosebleed (featuring Scott Hull of Pig Destroyer fame). Iann Robinson also has an interview with Phil Vera over at Nonelouder. If you haven't already, pick up a copy of Hot Sumerian Nights available at their MySpace.
Album art from Opeth's upcoming Watershed
So starting this week, I will highlight some new heavy releases that are worth your time in a segment called "Punishment Due" (named after my favorite Megadeth song, natch). This week, we will concentrate on new releases and catch up on 2008 YTD.
PUNISHMENT DUE: (This week and the one past)
- The highly controversial record by The Sword, Gods Of The Earth, finally hits record store shelves today. Although some of Gods criticisms are correct (it IS overhyped, it IS not a progression upon the last), it doesn't change the fact that it IS a damn fine slab of metal and worthy of repeated spins.
- In Flames new one, A Sense Of Purpose, hits the shelves as well today, and if you are a fan of their "progression" (me = not) post-Clayman, then you will probably dig it too. That said, there are still a few decent tracks
-Nadja's Skin Turns To Glass is a massive slab of volcanic ash and fire... spitting and calming, then exploding again. The only question is, should you buy this one, or any one of the other six trillion records they have in the pipeline?
- The new Cavalera Conspiracy, Inflikted (spellcheck much?) is out on Roadrunner and if you have ever been a fan of the Cavalera's work, it's definitely worth a listen. A truly brutal return by two guys who had settled into a borderline MEH-tal groove in their respective bands. Plus, any band with Joe Duplantier is worth a listen.
- Lair Of The Minotaur's new War Metal Battle Master is a hunk of pure mayhem. Why these guys aren't on tour with the big guns is beyond me, but for all of us who have our tickets to their show with The Ocean & Kylesa, let's do like Built To Spill and keep it like a secret.
-The new one from Cursed, III: Architects Of Troubled Sleep, is an absolute frenzy of kinetic hardcore/metal pugnacity delivered with raw emotion. I think it is pretty well known how I feel about them, so guys... get the f- down to the US, aight?
PUNISHMENT DUE, STILL: (2008 so far)
- Disfear - Live The Storm: It's been almost five years, doesn't that technically make it two triumphant comebacks for the man?
- Nifelheim - Envoy Of Lucifer: Who ever said old school satanic black metal can't be fun?
- Wildildlife - Six: Kind of cheating here (came out in Dec of 07) but Sixis a frightening carnival ride of a record. With killer riffs.
- Genghis Tron - Board Up The House: A new heavy.
- Meshuggah - ObZen: A stunning, challenging and jaw-droppingly technical record. A must.
- Capsule - Blue Album: An acrobatic feat of a post-hardcore punk album. More on these guys very soon.
- Graveyard - Graveyard: An excellent debut from these 70s nostalgics.
- Jarboe & Justin Broadrick - J2: About as good as you think it might be, but not in the way you might think.
In "honor" of the reformation of Biohazard, check out my fave song (and video, and record) by the guys. Here's to ruining fond memories.
Biohazard - Punishment from Urban Discipline
Tom from Celtic Frost onstage with 1349 performing the Celtic Frost classic "The Usurper" at the Inferno Festival in Norway on 3/22.
NEWS BLAST (Beats)
- System Of A Down frontman Serj Tankian will hit Terminal 5 on May zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Sorry about that, dozed off. Thats May 14, get your tickets (available as of 3/28) here if you must.
- Pitchfork is killin' it this week, as their Show No Mercy column hits us with a one-two punch of interviews with Swedes Disfear and Meshuggah!
_ Trash Talk have ,completed their new album with Steve Albini.
- Swedes Burst are currently at work on the followup to their critically acclaimed album Origo expected this year on Relapse.
- Nachtmystium is streaming a third track, Worldfall on their MySpace. Their EP AND LP are on the way!
- Check out what might be the most METAL video of all time, the awesome (and very NSFW) video for "War Metal Battle Master" the title track off the new Lair Of The Minotaur record. How can you go wrong with a iron-clad warriors, a blood-soaked fight to the death, and naked women consuming the fallen's flesh!
- Cult Of Luna has COMPLETED recording of their new album!! Check out photos from the sessions here.
- Part 2 of Metalkult's interview with Blixa Bargeld of Einsterzende Neubauten can be found here.
- Japanese screamo-meets-post-rockers Envy will release a live DVD on Temporary Residence. Currently available for pre-order, this two hour DVD contains 17 live songs, music videos, and additional footage that spans the length of their very long career. Preorder Transfovista here.
- Nifelheim's Tyrant & Hellbutcher sat down with MetalCentre to discuss their badass new album Envoy Of Lucifer. Check out the interview here. Any band with a drummer named Insulter Of Jesus Christ has gotta be worth a listen or two.
- UK doom legends My Dying Bride are working on a new album.
- Anaal Nathrakh has announced a few more tour dates in addition to the previously announced dates at Maryland Deathfest, including one date with current metal whipping post Cryptopsy. (Thanks Vince!) Dates are below...
- The Philadelphia Weekly did a profile of Blacklisted, who are about to kick off a tour in support of their new album, including a pair of shows in NYC. Check out the PW piece.
- In Flames is currently streaming their new album in its entirety on their myspace. A Sense Of Purpose comes out on April 1.
- Bay Area thrashers Death Angel have announced a tour with God Forbid in tow, including a couple of dates with Testament (who are touring on their own) and a show at B.B. King's on June 11 with Soilent Green (who are out with Hate Eternal & Skeletonwitch) and Light This City. Tickets are on sale. Tour dates below.
- Obituary have cancelled their previously announced tour. No word on a rescheduling (tentatively Sept 08) or reasons thus far.
- Official dates for the Rockstar Energy Mayhem Festival with Mastodon, Dragonforce, The Red Chord and others (-ugh- Slipknor, Disturbed, Suicide Silence, Underoath)have been released. Check em out below.
- Tour dates for the aforementioned Summer Slaughter Tour with Black Dahlia Murder, Kataklysm, Vader, Cryptopsy, The Faceless, Despised icon, Aborted, Born Of Osiris, Psycroptic, and Whitechapel have also been released. The Irving Plaza show on June 26th and Starland Ballroom show on the 28th are both on sale. Full tour schedule below...
THE SWORD, TORCHE, STINKING LIZAVETA - 2008 TOUR DATES
5/9 Ft Worth TX @ Lola's
5/10 Memphis TN @ Hi Tone
5/11 Nashville TN @ Exit/In
5/12 Covington KY @ The Mad Hatter
5/13 Detroit MI @ The Magic Stick
5/14 Columbus OH @ Ravari Room
5/15 Washington DC @ Rock and Roll Hotel
5/16 Philadelphia PA @ First Unitarian Church
5/17 Brooklyn NY @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
5/18 Cambridge MA @ Middle East Downstairs
5/20 Raleigh NC @ Lincoln Theater
5/21 Savannah GA @ The Jinx
5/22 Tallahassee FL @ The Beta Bar
5/23 St. Petersburg FL @ State Theatre
5/24 Orlando FL @ The Social
5/25 Gainesville FL @ Common Grounds
5/26 Atlanta GA @ Lenny's
5/27 Birmingham AL @ Bottle Tree
5/28 Baton Rouge LA @ Spanish Moon
5/29 Houston TX @ Rudyard's
AMENRA, BATTLEFIELDS - 2008 TOUR DATES
May 2 - kingdomofdoom, denver co
May 3 - barleycorn's, wichita ks
May 4 - jackspot saloon, lawrence ks
May 5 - the mosaic, omaha ne
May 6 - haunted basement, des moines ia
May 7 - two cents plain, st louis mo
May 8 - reggie's rock club, chicago il*
May 9 - von's, detroit mi US w/battlefields
May 10 - the davenport, cleveland oh
May 11 - the khyber, philadelphia pa**
May 12 - lit lounge, manhattan ny***
* With Minsk
** With Rosetta, Starkweather
*** With Starkweather
DISFEAR - 2008 TOUR DATES
February 21 - Helsinki, Finland Tavastia
February 22 - Tempere, Finland Yo-Talo
February 23 - Turku, Finland Klubi
April 16 - New York, NY Knitting Factory*
April 17 - Washington, DC Rock And Roll Hotel
April 18 - Philadelphia, PA First Unitarian Church
April 19 - Pittsburgh, PA Robotto Project
April 20 - Cleveland, OH Pirate's Cove
April 21 - Indianapolis, IN The Melody Inn
April 22 - Chicago, IL Subterranean
April 23 - Lansing, MI Mac's Bar
April 24 - Toronto, ON Sneaky Dee's
April 25 - Montreal, QC Black Dot
April 26 - Worcester, MA New England Metal and Hardcore Festival
April 27 - Providence, RI The Living Room
May 22 - Brooklyn, NY @ Europa**
May 23 - Philadelphia, PA @ Mill Creek Tavern***
May 24 - Baltimore, MD @ Sonar (Maryland Deathfest)
May 25 - Allston, MA @ Great Scotts%
* w/ Bloodhorse
** w/ Trap Them, Bloodhorse
*** w/ Kylesa, Thrones, Trap Them
% w/ Clouds, Trap Them, Bloodhorse
ANAAL NATHRAKH - 2008 TOUR DATES
May 2 - London, UK @ The Underworld
May 10 - Glasgow, Scotland @ Barfly
May 17 - Toronto, ON @ The Kathedral
May 18 - Kitchener, ON @ The Gig Theater w/ Cryptopsy
May 20 - Ottawa, ON @ Cafe Dekcuf
May 22 - Montreal, QC @ The Plaza Theater
May 23 - Baltimore, MD @ MARYLAND DEATHFEST
Jun 20 - Clisson, Pays de la Loire, France @ HELL FEST
DEATH ANGEL, GOD FORBID - 2008 TOUR DATES
5/01-Flint, MI @ The Machine Shop w/ TESTAMENT
5/02-Cleveland, OH @ Peabodyís w/ TESTAMENT
5/03-Allentown, PA @ Crocodile Rock
5/04-Long Island, NY @ Crazy Donkey
5/07-Baltimore, MD @ Sonar
5/08-Springfield, VA @ Jaxx
5/09-Raleigh, NC @ Volume 11
5/10-Virginia Beach, VA @ Steppin Out
5/13-Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade
5/14-Seminole, FL @ Boomerz
5/16-Houston, TX @ TBA
5/17-Ft. Worth, TX @ Ridglea Theatre
5/18-San Antonio, TX @ Rock Bottom
5/19-El Paso, TX @ Chic's
5/21-Farmington, NM @ Gator's
5/23-Las Vegas, NV @ Jillian's
5/24-Los Angeles, CA @ House of Blues
5/25-San Francisco, CA @ Slim's
5/26-Bakersfield, CA @ The Dome
5/27-Modesto, CA @ Fat Cats
5/28-Sacramento, CA @ The Boardwalk
5/30-Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
5/31-Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
6/02-Denver, CO @ Marquis Theatre
6/05-Columbus, OH @ Alrosa Villa
6/06-Mokena (Chicago), IL @ The Pearl Room
6/07-Detroit, MI @ Harpo's
6/08-Toronto, ON @ Opera House
6/11-New York, NY @ BB Kings
ROCKSTAR ENERGY MAYHEM FESTIVAL - 2008 TOUR DATES
July 9 - Seattle, WA @ White River Amphitheatre
July 11 - Sacramento, CA @ Sleep Train Amphitheatre
July 12 - San Francisco, CA @ Shoreline Amphitheatre at Mountain View
July 13 - San Bernardino, CA @ Glen Helen Pavilion
July 15 - Fresno, CA @ Save Mart Center
July 16 - San Diego, CA @ Coors Amphitheatre
July 18 - Phoenix, Az @ Cricket Wireless Pavilion
July 19 - Albuquerque, NM @ Journal Pavilion
July 20 - Denver, CO @ Coors Amphitheatre at Fiddler's Green
July 22 - Kansas City, MO @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
July 23 - St. Louis, MO @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheater St. Louis
July 25 - Dallas, TX @ Superpages.com Center
July 26 - San Antonio, TX @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
July 27 - Houston, TX @ Sam Houston Race Park
July 29 - Tampa, FL @ Ford Amphitheatre
July 30 - W. Palm Beach, FL @ Cruzan Amphitheater
August 1 - Virginia Beach, VA @ Verizon Wireless Virginia Beach Amphitheater
August 2 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Post-Gazette Pavilion
August 3 - Uniondale, NY @ Nassau Coliseum
August 5 - Boston, MA @ Tweeter Center for Performing Arts
August 6 - Scranton, PA @ Toyota Pavilion
August 8 - Toronto, ON @ Downsview Park
August 9 - Detroit, MI @ DTE Energy Music Theatre
August 10 - Chicago, IL @ First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre
August 12 - Atlanta, GA @ Lakewood Amphitheatre
August 13 - Indianapolis, IN @ Verizon Wireless Music Center Indianapolis
August 15 - Camden, NJ @ Susquehanna Bank Center
August 16 - Hartford, CT @ New England Dodge Music Center
August 17 - Washington, DC @ Nissan Pavilion
August 19 - Buffalo, NY @ Darien Lake Performing Arts Center
SUMMER SLAUGHTER TOUR - 2008 TOUR DATES
June 20 - Detroit, MI @ Majestic Theatre
June 21 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
June 22 - Louisville, KY @ Headliner's Music Hall
June 24 - Albany, NY @ Northern Lights
June 25 - Philadelphia, PA @ The Trocadero
June 26 - New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
June 27 - Worcester, MA @ The Palladium
June 28 - Sayreville, NJ @ Starland Ballroom
June 29 - Richmond, VA @ The National
June 30 - Spartanburg, SC @ Ground Zero
July 1 - Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade
July 2 - St. Petersburg, FL @ Jannus Landing
July 4 - San Antonio, TX @ White Rabbit
July 5 - Houston, TX @ Meridian
July 6 - Dallas, TX @ House of Blues
July 8 - Albuquerque, NM @ Sunshine Theater
July 9 - El Paso, TX @ Club 101
July 10 - Phoenix, AZ @ Marquee Theater
July 11 - Los Angeles, CA @ House of Blues
July 12 - Bakersfield, CA @ The Dome
July 13 - San Diego, CA @ SOMA
July 15 - San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore
July 17 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
July 18 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
July 19 - Spokane, WA @ Big Easy Concert House
July 20 - Boise, ID @ Big Easy Concert House
July 21 - Logan, UT @ Club NVO
July 23 - Denver, CO @ Cervantes Ballroom
July 24 - Omaha, NE @ Sokol Underground
July 25 - Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
July 26 - Milwaukee, WI @ The Rave
July 27 - St. Louis, MO @ Pop's
July 28 - Chicago, IL @ House of Blues