Posted in To Do | music on May 2, 2008

burnt laptops inside the House of Yes (Kae Burke)
House of Yes

The House of Yes was a Brooklyn venue (sorta) that was not as lucky as Zebulon and Webster Hall.

Since its conception last May, it has hosted within its walls decadent dance parties, hip-hop throw downs, burlesque birthdays, recording sessions, sing-alongs, circus rehearsals, decoration creation, costume workshops, family brunches, and quality conversation. The eights people who lived and worked out of the space were not just roomates. We became a real family of unique individuals who took care of each other and loved each other like the brothers and sisters that we became. Luckily, we still have each other.

As the House of Yes burnt down, we didn't only lose our cat, our home and our workspace.
We lost our ability to host weekly yoga sessions, circus skill share, and sewing workshops.
We lost sound equipment, cameras, books, heirlooms, toys, papers, furniture, and clothes.
We lost the tools and materials that we all used to make art and our community with. [The House of Yes]
Help them get some stuff back by attending the benefit this Saturday at the Pussycat Lounge in Manhattan (May 3, 2008). There will be music, circus acts, dancing (some nude), a silent auction and much, much more.

More pictures of the fire @ Flickr.

---

      

Comments (9)

What happened to the cat? no one saved him?

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2008 1:39 PM

"What happened to the cat? no one saved him?"

that is correct.

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2008 1:43 PM

That is really sad.

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2008 1:51 PM

so wait...there were fires at THREE venues last night? Nobody else finds this odd? Is some arsonist out to kill the ny scene?

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2008 1:56 PM

"so wait...there were fires at THREE venues last night? Nobody else finds this odd? Is some arsonist out to kill the ny scene?"

Webster Hall - May 1
House of Yes - April 22
Zebulon - April 20

Posted by brooklynvegan | May 2, 2008 2:00 PM

NO ONE SAVED THE CAT???

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2008 4:07 PM

The kitty, Pilgrim, was mine and he was under the watchful and loving eye of his surrogate family who was present at the scene of the fire. The faulty electrical wiring exploded the ceiling in flames and the human members of the house, one of whom was on crutches, were lucky to escape with their lives.
R.I.P. Dj Pilgrim

Posted by Larken | March 6, 2009 5:31 PM

So sorry about the incident. What's actually going on? Is this an accident or something else since there were fires at three venues?

Posted by Music | February 13, 2010 12:13 PM

So sorry your place burnt. If you don't mind my asking, why were the laptops open? If they were in use, you would think the owners would have been right next to them and so would have taken them on their way out... unless the fire was so intense that everyone simply booked it and left the laptops to be destroyed.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2011 5:14 PM

Leave a Comment