Posted in music | pictures on May 16, 2008

photos by Bao Nguyen

from formal to 'party hard'...

Andrew WK @ New Museum

Santos' Party house co-owner Andrew WK performed a solo piano set at the New Museum last night as part of their new monthly "Get Weird" series of live music performances (May 15, 2008). More pictures below...

Andrew WK @ New Museum

Bao went from there to Bowery Ballroom to see Bonde Do Role (and from there he actually did end up at Santos Party House which is why he's also not feeling very coherent today).

Andrew has this reading coming up next....

i dont think obama can turn this around.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 1:54 PM

Things I didn't expect to see on BV today: two dozen photos of Andrew WK.

Posted by Joey | May 16, 2008 1:55 PM

I hope he did a Pied Piper thing and led them all out onto the Bowery.

Posted by drewo | May 16, 2008 1:57 PM

why does this guy still even bother?

Posted by d | May 16, 2008 1:57 PM

Did he play "Party Til You Puke" on piano? That would be awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 1:59 PM

i can only hope the four horsemen of the apocalypse come riding through at any moment and clear that place out completely.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 2:00 PM

andrew wk is the best

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 2:17 PM

no, dude in yellow. no.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 2:21 PM

andrew wk's first albums make it so he can do whatever he wants within his range. like michael jackson made off the wall and thriller so he can fuck kids, and i've never even heard of bonde de role so they probably have to fuck women or something.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 2:37 PM

sweeney did it again

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 2:37 PM

>>sweeney did it again

did what again? rode on someone else's coattails?

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 2:57 PM

seriously, these people have absofuckinglutely nothing to do in their lives other than go to a show like this? so sad. such a shame any no talented jokster can make a record. hipstery kids 'll fall fur anything. suckas.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 3:14 PM

He was surprisingly a really good pianist. Would have loved to see him play a few serious piano songs without the backing tracks.

Posted by chinolam | May 16, 2008 3:58 PM

"Andrew W.K. was born in Stanford, California, and grew up in Ann Arbor, Michigan. At age 4, he began learning classical piano at The University of Michigan School of Music. He attended the private college preparatory Greenhills School for middle school before attending the alternative Community High School from 1993-1997, where he studied jazz keyboards..."

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 4:02 PM

"...Alicia Keys, is an American R&B, soul, and neo soul singer-songwriter, pianist, and actress who has sold over 25 million albums worldwide as of 2007, and has won numerous awards, including eleven Grammy Awards, seventeen Billboard Music Awards, three American Music Awards, and fourteen NAACP Image Awards."

talent can still = suck

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 4:07 PM

"talent can still = suck"

i'm not saying he doesn't suck, just that it shouldn't be surprising that he can play the piano if he starting taking lessons when he was 4.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 4:12 PM

Posted by no name | May 16, 2008 4:29 PM

does anyone else see that he looks like michael jackson in that children's reading picture

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 4:30 PM

Seriously. Very talented and an amazing personality. Sucka.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 5:11 PM

"seriously, the guy who just made that smart ass comment has absofuckinglutely nothing better to do in his life other than hate-blog on brooklyn vegan? so sad. such a shame any no talented jokester can post his comment on a blog. kids'll fall for anything. sucka."

This could be said for 1 out of every 3 comments made on this hateriffic blog. Let's see what people have to say about THIS comment!

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 5:24 PM

^ :) i heart it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 5:34 PM

i love andrew wk. the guy makes hilarity much more fun (and less hip) than dan deacon or whomever, but still puts on an incredible live show no matter what. get the carrot out of your ass and have some fun, hipstaz.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 5:38 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2008 5:44 PM

"the guy makes hilarity much more fun (and less hip) than dan deacon or whomever, but still puts on an incredible live show no matter what. get the carrot out of your ass and have some fun, hipstaz."

Hilarity? Both Dan Deacon and WK are thriving on a Juno-vibe that commodifies "weird," tapping an outsider status, at the New Museum? Doesn't seem very "out there" to me.

We will all have forgotten about these folks in a few months, thankfully. In the meantime, grit your teeth as you endure another onslaught of WK's faux philosophy.

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2008 10:38 AM

^this is the guy that's thriving on the juno-vibe. He just made me juno-vomit.

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2008 10:54 AM

This show was one of the greatest days of my life. 10/10

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2008 3:18 PM

AMAZING! AMAZING! AMAZING! AMAZING! AMAZING!

Posted by Rob | May 17, 2008 4:42 PM

First of all, AWK has been relevant much longer than Dan Deacon and I wouldn't even put the two of them in the same league. And if you never went to one of AWK's shows back when he was playing with a full band, then you really are missing out. Nothing has ever even come close to the insanity of those shows.

Posted by CN | May 17, 2008 5:29 PM

hmmm, how does he compare to matt + kim? cause getting elbowed in the head in an M+K crowd has got to be the best kind of pain i know

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2008 6:48 PM

"First of all, AWK has been relevant much longer than Dan Deacon and I wouldn't even put the two of them in the same league."

can you tell me more about this league?

Posted by Anonymous | May 17, 2008 7:06 PM

the matt + kim crowd? there's a reason no one respects them for being anything but cheesy grin smilin', fake blood video'n williamsburg/bushwick/whatever cheap mondays scenesters.
tony conrad is the shit. zs are the shit. matt and kim are not good.

Posted by amanda | May 18, 2008 12:56 AM

andrew w k has never been relevant, guys.

he's a comedian

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 1:00 AM

hey amanda,

nobody cares what you think or who you think is awesome - so why would you care what anybody else likes?

let people have their Matt and Kim. The world of music is large enough that you and Tony Conrad can have a lovely romance together within it and barely bump into the Matt and Kims of the world.

besides, Matt and Kim are a lot of fun for those other people who're really into them.

Just let 'er be, hon.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 1:35 AM

I mean really, if you're seriously talking about some relevancy battle between Andrew WK & Matt and Kim & Dan Deacon, I just can't even imagine how that could possibly work, or matter to anyone. it hurts my head a little to imigine you, in your little NY apartment, typing away at this argument.

How anybody could have any ill will towards anybody else listenning to any of those bands' music anyway, I can't fathom. it's all smiles, all around. why the hate? how?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 1:42 AM

all smiles? that's the last word on it. hilarity? welcome to the alternakittie hug fest!

tony conrad wouldn't even know where to begin w/ any of the acts listed here. TC comes from a modern composition background. matt and kim come from a composition notebook background---hugs everybody!

Oh, load up your Juno on DVD and maybe watch Ghost World later in the day. So weird.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 11:48 AM

I love that you're trying to construct a creative anti-movement based around the movie Juno.

who gives a shit?

Matt and Kim and Dan Deacon both peaked in popularity about 10 months ago, several months before that (harmeless, crappy) movie was even released.

And where does Tiny Conrad enter into all this? I'm really psyched to hear where your big creative anti-manifesto goes here!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 12:01 PM

the "all smiles" post was about Andrew WK as compared to Dan Deacon and Matt and Kim and their ilk.

I don't believe any mention of Tony Conrad was made.

could someone remind me why Tony fucking Conrad is being discussed in this thread, please??

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 12:11 PM

see amanda's post above re: Conrad.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 1:19 PM

thanks, it was a rhetorical question.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 1:28 PM

"I don't believe any mention of Tony Conrad was made."

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 2:02 PM

marry me andrew. this was best show ive seen in a long long long time

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 2:59 PM

marry me? is this all that we get by way of commentary on his music, a Leave it to Beaver rendering of success in the world?

i shudder to think . . .

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 3:09 PM

That show was the best night I'd had in a long time.

Posted by Tara | May 18, 2008 3:20 PM

me toooooooo. kindergarten how it should of been. love you man

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 7:45 PM

shortly after this show ended, I walked out to the center of the Manhattan Bridge. I jumped a fence, scaled the guidewires, struggled againt the gravity and the cold May evening breeze. I reached the top of the center mastm and drew my revolver. I aimed the muzzle against the roof of my mouth and, eyes wide open, pulled the trigger, my corpse dropping like a discarded gum wrapper into the indifferent currents of the East River below.

I had seen the best show that ever happenned --- né, will ever happen. After witnessing Andrew WK perform at the New Museum I am satiated with this life. No better thing will ever happen.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2008 10:54 PM

Andrew WK's week beats your year.

Posted by Regular reader | May 19, 2008 10:52 AM

not likely, I had a pretty damn good year, and Andrww WK is just ann entertaining hack.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 11:10 AM

Andrew WK was also at No Fun Fest Saturday, not playing, just hanging out.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 11:12 AM

yr shittin me.

no, really - Andrew WK? among us?

holy fucking shit, were the Strokes there too???

Somebody told me they saw Kim Gordon sucking Georgia Hubley's dick in the bathroom, but I didn't buy it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 11:23 AM

THE Andrew WK?

did you avert your eyes?

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 11:33 AM

I was there, and it was sick. I left feeling great about life.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2008 11:46 AM

I agree with the last poster - I was there, and it was indeed a great time. Since when do we have to debate over this stuff like Rabbinical scholars? It's fucking Andrew WK. You either like it or you don't - for me, anyone who knows how to laugh (besides at other people's expense, that is) and has an even vague awareness of some of the cliches that Andrew sends up should be able to leave that show with a smile on their face. Is it going to change the way you view art? Maybe! But it's not supposed to, just supposed to make you feel like you spent a few hours that day doing something unique, fun, and collective. I got way, way, way, way more than my 10$'s worth and I actually think a few of the thing's WK had to say were pretty beautiful- even if he was being totally sarcastic (which I don't think he was). Party on!

Posted by Arizona | May 19, 2008 5:26 PM

I think you missed the point above, 5:26.

The argument was whether there is something especially "relevant" about Abdrew WK versus other fun for fun's sake bands.

Nothing against Andrew WK, but putting him on a pedestal in order to dis Dan Deacon, Matt and Kim, et al - that's just silly. Andrew WK is equally irreverent, and probably also equally irrelevant, to those folks. All of it is music designed to facilitate smiles and having a good time

What he isn't, anymore or less than those others, is "art".

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2008 12:49 AM

While this guy is a huge tool in his Andrew W.K. persona, he's actually quite an established noise/experimental musician and producer. He's involved and has been involved in quite a few avant-garde noise rock groups too. Strange seeing him go from Party Hard to preforming droning industrial soundscapes.

Posted by pom | October 9, 2008 12:15 AM