Posted in music | pictures on May 27, 2008

photos by Kyle Dean Reinford

Flaming Lips @ Jam on the River

Flaming Lips played day one of the Jam on The River festival in Philly this past weekend (May 24, 2008). The usual madness ensued, plus girls got naked....

Flaming Lips @ Jam on the River

...Next up was the Disco Biscuits. I. Hate. The Disco Biscuits. God damn awful jam-band. They'd start a song, and ten minutes in I'd be looking around the crowd, staring into the sky, looking at the river, come back outta my zone-out...and it's the same god damn song lksjglkajl ugh. SO boring. Just meandering jam-band horse shit. It was around this time I noticed that the entire crowd except for me were bros and hippies. I don't *hate* hippies, they're mostly harmless. But God damn I cannot stand bros.
What is a bro? "A bro is an 18 to 24 year old male who wears birkenstock sandals, watches Family Guy, plays ultimate frisbee, and wears an upside down visor, or a baseball cap with a pre-frayed brim. You know, a bro."

Anyway, yeah. I know it's not very nice of me, but they just ANNOY me so much god damn.

After bro jam purgatory, the Flaming Lips came on, and DAMN was it worth the wait. I'm convinced Wayne Coyne is made of sunshine, happiness, rainbows, bunny rabbits, and all that is right and good with the world. Millions of pounds of confetti and streamers shooting into the air as he walked over the crowd in his bubble. Beautiful backgrounds, girls in pink costumes and robots on stage. Santa Claus and an Alien. Sing alongs!
We sang happy birthday to some kid, it was his 18th. That kid is the luckiest bastard ever. I love Wayne Coyne. [positive jam]

Family Guy is for bros?

Now check out the rest of the photos from Jam on the River

AND UPDATE: The Flaming Lips did it again on Monday in Washington.

impeach bush.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:15 AM

the pics look great. but i can't help but wonder, it seems like wayne & co. have been doing the same show for quite a few years now. confetti, people in animal outfits, him in the plastic ball, etc. given how they used to change things up all the time record and record, i'm surprised a bit by this. looks like fun though and the man knows how to dress sharp, that's for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:23 AM

lets hope this starts a trend? so much fun to get naked in public!

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:25 AM

Yeah the show is pretty much the same every time. I guess you don't fix what isn't broken.

Posted by Eric | May 27, 2008 10:25 AM

nekkidness!

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:27 AM

holy god those women are ugly

f2u philly

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:27 AM

Hey! Family Guy is pretty good.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:28 AM

ugly? i wish i could score with a girl that looked like that.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:33 AM

Like what? Naked?

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:41 AM

what's lost by your fucks who don't leave anywhere off the L train and worship Xiu Xiu is that these girls were 110% improv. then again, you blogfags never leave home so you are under the impression that girls only take their clothes off for their BFs or BangBros.com. while i can't vouch for any of the other bands that day, the F.Lips just make people smile. friends of mine who work in shows and have "seen it all" were awwstruck by the whole show...the nakedness was during just the 3rd show.

have fun bashing Terminal 5 & waiting for Daft Punk to tour again...

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:44 AM

"ugly? i wish i could score with a girl that looked like that.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:33 AM"

Well, with all due respect to the loser who made this statement, for those of us who actually do get laid it is quite conceivable from the pictures that The Flaming Lips actually did more harm than good to their live concert reputation. The naked girls in those pictures made me actually extremely glad i did not venture to Phila to see this show. So god damn ugly and for christs sake shave it babes. Hirstute is not the flavor of the day.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:44 AM

i always say. a philly 10 is a new york 5...

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:45 AM

the show was great and completely different from their show at bonnaroo last year, but then again i'm a fan of the biscuits so what do i know

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:47 AM

"awwstruck "

hahahaa moron.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:47 AM

10:44, how do you live with yourself?

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:48 AM

your a dumb closeminded fuck

Posted by urmama | May 27, 2008 10:53 AM

really? every live pic i've seen of the lips for the past six or seven years has seemed like one same show. the fuzzy animals and plastic balls and lots of confetti, etc. i'm just sayin'. i wish they'd lay off the everybody-be-happy vibe just a tad, just a tiny bit that's all, and fuck shit up the way they used to with albums like 'zarika' and the shows which followed that record.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:54 AM

Disco Biscuits are fucking great. Hey asshole, if you don't like jam bands, don't go to "Jam on the River"

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:58 AM

LOL

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 11:00 AM

Your English teacher must be pissed

Posted by mikedee | May 27, 2008 11:07 AM

MOM?!?!

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 11:07 AM

they should have set their massive bush's on fire on the stage

(get it? flaming lips? yeah um sorry)

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 11:11 AM

Jam bands actually suck and their fans hate music.

And they didn't even have much pubes. Jeez. What a bunch of feys commenting on this site.

Posted by Chris | May 27, 2008 11:14 AM

i got on stage! the girls were ninjas and the guys were iron men.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 11:21 AM

to those anon haters above, that would have been first time in ages for me to see a naked women, cause i got a shitty job and cant get laid, plus can't afford to go to titty bars, so cut this "bro" some slack, please.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 11:26 AM

Surprisingly the show was not quite as typical ,musically, as usual. Sure there was the giant ball to go surfing in, lots of ballons (that immediately blew away) and the usual tons of confetti. They opened with "race for the prize" and " Free Radicals" but then it went a little wierd. First was a cover of "The Song Remains the Same", before which Wayne said that "when i was ten and first heard this song, it make me think that this was the kind of song the girls got naked and dance around to"...thus the naked girls. Then "mountian side", an a capella sing along to "Yoshimi" (sadly no part 2 freak out or the nun-puppet), "taps" and a memorial day speach, "fight test"...i know i am forgetting a couple of songs and it wrapped up with "She don't use Jelly" and "Do you realize???" Overall a good, not great, show.

Posted by macca | May 27, 2008 11:35 AM

hahaha anon 11:26 i'm not surprised you're posting anonymous really

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 11:44 AM

">the show was great and completely different from their show at bonnaroo last year,

really? every live pic i've seen of the lips for the past six or seven years has seemed like one same show. the fuzzy animals and plastic balls and lots of confetti, etc."

Damn, I love this kind of "review". You haven't actually seen the show, but you're making these judgments based upon pictures of the concerts?
Do you happen to write CD reviews for Maxim?

I've actually SEEN the Flaming Lips 3 times, and every show had some of the same characteristics, but there were certainly differences between the 3. Different setlists, audience laser-lights at one, Wayne riding the crowd in a bubble at one, a Queen cover at one, video backdrops at one. Like any good band, they stick with what has become their oevre, but they also throw in quite a variety of entertaining sidelights.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 11:46 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 11:46 AM

"Jam bands actually suck and their fans hate music."

Exactly, and it's especially annoying because it seems like their fans think they are unbelievably refined with their music taste. I think this is because of the number of instruments and "incredibly talented" musicians onstage. In my experience jam bros are music haters of the worst kind: the kind that think they are music savants.

They will always thank you for "turning them on" to "new stuff" such as 10 year old Neutral Milk Hotel but they will be back to bonedancing to Phil Lesh again as soon as you leave the room.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 11:54 AM

I like bonedancing to Phil Lesh. It sure beats standing still and staring at some pretentious indie flavor-of-the-month...

Posted by JWeir | May 27, 2008 12:08 PM

OMFUG the Disco Biscuits are the worst people ever to pick up instruments. I would rather listen to Whitney Houston front The Runaways reunion tour than listen to one more second of the Disco Biscuits sorry ass excuse for music.

Posted by I Bust Sic Disco | May 27, 2008 12:14 PM

At least jam band fans are loyal.

You guys are all still pretty die-hard Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and Tapes n Tapes fans though, right?

Oops!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 12:15 PM

>>At least jam band fans are loyal.

So are abused dogs.

Posted by I Bust Sic Disco | May 27, 2008 12:19 PM

^^And Hillary Clinton's supporters

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 12:32 PM

^^^^ hahaha. awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 12:36 PM

"do they ever do stuff from 'clouds taste metallic' or the earlier more punk influenced stuff?"

they played mountain side from 'priest driven ambulance.'

also, she don't use jelly is pre-'clouds'

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 12:44 PM

If that red head with the matching runner is out there, look me up.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 12:50 PM

Though there are certainly countless negative elements to jam band fans (which I'm sure we could all have fun listing!), there's something to be said for their relatively non-judgmental love of music. It's like the polar opposite of what goes on at Brooklyn Vegan. Obviously there are some politics and irrelevancies but basically it's just stoned dopes who wanna get down and have a good time. They don't give a shit about Todd P vs. Bowery presents, or Pitchfork ratings, or guest lists (though they'll gladly take a miracle if you can provide one!). Sure their incomes are usually questionably received, but they're glad to put them forward towards tickets, cds, t-shirts, drugs, and other things that go along with having a good time with music. The less time one/you/they spend worrying about what goes behind and along with music, the more difficult is to appreciate it! I wouldn't say jam band fans have "figured that out" but it's the way they live and they seem pretty happy with it. I say more power to them.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 12:58 PM

WHERE IS THE COCK?

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 12:58 PM

Here's the thing about jam bands. Some are great, some suck. Same as every other genere of music. Improvistational music is always going to give you peaks and valleys, ask any serious jazz devotee. But the peaks of the best jam bands make up for the boring valleys.

Great:
Gov't Mule
Phish
Lotus
Phil and Friends, RatDog, the Dead (at their best)
moe

Terrible:

Umphrey's McGee
String Cheese Incident
Phil and Friends, Ratdog, the Dead (at their worst)

Posted by Loyd Ramberhose | May 27, 2008 1:01 PM

"WHERE IS THE COCK?"

On 2nd Ave btw 1st & 2nd

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 1:11 PM

The second Miles Davis quintet is the best jam band ever. It took the Dead two drummers to play half as good as Tony Williams. And unlike Mickey Hart, Tony Williams' old man never ripped off Miles Davis. See how those hippies do?

Posted by I Bust Sic Disco | May 27, 2008 1:27 PM

Hey Bust,
I'm with you. The live at Carnegie Hall album is amazing.

As for Mickey's dad, it just goes to show Never trust a Vulcan.

Posted by Loyd Ramberhose | May 27, 2008 1:33 PM

HEY BV,

How about not including NSFW images in the RSS feed? Put them behind a break or something, for those of us who use feed readers at work.

Thanks!

Posted by Paul | May 27, 2008 1:50 PM

fyi the cock was apparently present in their friday night show at summercamp in illinois. they apparently had two guys on stage dancing with a few of the girls. looks like they realized that was a bad idea...

Posted by kyle | May 27, 2008 1:51 PM

T. Chisholm likes to bonedance to Phil too...

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 1:51 PM

She Don't Use Jelly is what they played on Bev Hills 90210 oh so many moons ago. Ha. Awww, Wayne, Dylan and Brandon hanging out.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 1:58 PM

I love the Lipps but they play the same god dman show ever time.

The Disco Biscuits kick ass and know how to write a setlist and dont play the same god damn one every show. Lipps are a novelty band, Bro.

Nice shitty blog douche bag

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 2:24 PM

"there's something to be said for their relatively non-judgmental love of music"

What are you talking about? Jamband fans are some of the most judgemental music "fans" I know. I've gone to a bunch of jamband shows (including aforementioned "greats" like Gov't Mule), and the fans were the worst part of each one. They tended to be only half-interested in the bands themselves (beacuse they were too busy getting f'd up) and downright hostile if you tried talking to them about bands outside their safe little jamband bubble.

And before you ask - I went to the shows because I have friends into this stuff, and I like exposing myself to music outside my usual comfort zone. If people recommend something, I try to check it out for myself. Sometimes I've been really suprised by bands - but the jam guys would almost always end up going in circles "feeling the groove". Believe me, I tried having a good time, but I've learned my lesson.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 2:33 PM

yes I agree with above, I went to Gov't Mule at McCarren Pool 2 years ago and there were so many jerks in the audience you wouldnt believe, especially the tapers.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 2:43 PM

gov. mule? are u kidding!! 95% of jam bands suck and they all suck at their end. unless u saw phish in the early 90s or the dead pre-90s, u saw crap. umissed the boat. I don't know who the next great band is, but it aint any of these mutts.99.5% of hipster bands are crappy musicians and their live shows generaly suck.

concerts are usually full of douches no matter where you are. just like blogs

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 2:57 PM

The tapers were the biggest jerks at Dead shows, too. They were so serious and honestly believed every note that heroin addled excuse for a guitar god played mattered.

Posted by I Bust Sic Disco | May 27, 2008 3:06 PM

Yeah, tapers suck.

Posted by nyctaper | May 27, 2008 3:10 PM

"Jamband fans are some of the most judgemental music "fans" I know."

"unless u saw phish in the early 90s or the dead pre-90s, u saw crap. umissed the boat. I don't know who the next great band is, but it aint any of these mutts.99.5% of hipster bands are crappy musicians and their live shows generaly suck. "

Thanks for proving my point.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 3:11 PM

10:44 is my hero.

Posted by grace6697 | May 27, 2008 3:12 PM

Jam band fans are spaced-out losers clinging desperately to a bygone era. They should all move to San Francisco and find their true calling: working as baristas at Starbucks.

I can't remember who said it, but someone actually called Govt. Mule and Moe "great" on this board. That's fucking laughable.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 3:18 PM

hi 3:18, just depends on what your personal taste is. If you like argyle-clad douchebags who are terrible musicians and need "gimicks" (like what Flaming Lips use in their live show for example), then yeah, skip the jam band shows while you can. For the record, Warren Haynes can play circles around probably 95% of the guitar players mentioned on this blog. At the end of the day, would I go see them? Fuck no, can't stand 'em. But don't knock the actual musicians out there...with that said, the crowds (tapers etc) are douchebags as well, just different by taste/lack thereof.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 3:44 PM

Wow. I can't believe my little blog post is making such huge waves.

This show was *very* different from the bonnaroo show.
No UFO, no 10,000 laser pointers, totally different versions of the Yeah song and Yoshimi.

I'm sure they were kinda similar (I was really messed up on chocolate shrooms @ roo), but there were enough differences to make each experience enjoyable in their own right.

I'm saying Jam Bands suck because I don't like them. I'm not saying technically they are awful, they're just not my cup of tea.
I love music, almost all genres. It's nice and refreshing to see a little bit of gimmicky stuff once in a while. :)
I've gone to enough small-time shows to be able to appreciate the music for the music, and the gimmicks for the gimmicks.

The thing *I* don't understand is why not one, but two sites have linked to my random-ass live journal rant about my weekend.

Where the hell did you people find me?

Posted by Positive_Jam | May 27, 2008 3:50 PM

I think some hippies were looking for some new music and your blog came up as a hit for the following: terrible, suck, losers, crappy and worst.

Isn't that how hippies find out about what new bands are out there?

Posted by I Bust Sic Disco | May 27, 2008 3:55 PM

@ Bust Sic Disco:

Aww, be nice to the hippies, they're harmless.
As for the Bisco fans...
Christ, I haven't met a frothing mess of haters in a long, long time.

Honestly, I got more hate mail from this "review" (I was just talkin about my friggin weekend!) than I've ever seen.

Also: People are claiming I plagarised this site. I'm laughing my ass off currently.

(I like this site btw, I hadn't known of it till now, but you've made a user outta me!)

Posted by Positive_Jam | May 27, 2008 4:00 PM

lol looks like Positive_Jam just got a quick education about what a sorry bunch of douchebags/assholes post in the comments section here.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:02 PM

^^^^^
Dude, you JUST posted.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:18 PM

"10:44 is my hero."

Which one? There are TWO comments with that time stamp, dumbass.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:35 PM

ok if there is the "collective unconcious", is there also a "collective anonymous"? also, will there be a new york magazine article tracking all the anonymous posters on BV?

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:45 PM

what a bunch of cry babies. hippes, hipsters. u r all just a bunch of losers. nobody cares what any of u think.

'Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olmypics. Even if you win, your still retarted.'

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 5:02 PM

ill just say this to everyone who likes the disco biscuits:
have you seen them? its god damn boring as hell. i had to sit through 2 and a half hours of non stop jam. do you know how many "guitar solos" there were? i lost count at 50, and i started counting on their second hour and 15 minute set. i wanted to shoot myself after hearing that for so long.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 5:07 PM

Hipsters are the new hippies. Nearly everyone I knew in the Phish scene now listens to indie/hipster/whatever-you-want-to-call-it music.

Posted by Wiz | May 27, 2008 7:10 PM

"and fuck shit up the way they used to with albums like 'zarika' and the shows which followed that record."

Zaireeka was way past their glorious "punk" days. After Ronald Jones left, the Lips have been pretty much doing karaoke shows. Before that, they were a great live act.

I have seen them perform many many times. Their shows are incredibly fun, but they are repetitive. The videos might change, but their shctick doesn't. They have been playing Taps and Kashmir for years now. Everyone should check them out at least once.

"She Don't Use Jelly is what they played on Bev Hills 90210 oh so many moons ago."

Uh, every one knows that. They having been using the 90120 clip to introduce that songs for a decade now. Where have you been?

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 7:26 PM

The Lips were awesome as always. Honestly people, if you don't like their act, don't go see them. They'll still sell places out without your ticket purchase. They'll still entertain everyone there even without your ticket purchase.

If not for the tent at the festival, though, I may have killed myself. My friends and I luckily grabbed a table before the shit biscuits went on and remained there until the Lips took the stage. I went to the festival only for Ritter and the Lips; little did I know I had to sit though 5 hours of crap in between.

Posted by Bernie | May 27, 2008 8:56 PM

The Disco Biscuits are not an easy band to get into, but I'd recommend you take a listen to this recent show:

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2008 10:05 PM

Why does BV care ? That looks atrocious.

Posted by Dee Snuts | May 28, 2008 1:12 AM

Your mom is a jam band

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2008 10:43 AM

Okay, the lips were definitely cool to see....once. But I wouldn't want to see them again (because I know they play *almost* the same show every time. (even the banter is relatively the same) I mean, what's the point of that. At least the Biscuits mix it up and you never see the same thing twice. Honestly If I was seeing the lips all the time I would just be straight up bored at every show. Even if the biscuits play a bad show, there's always hope for something fresh next time.

Posted by skip | May 28, 2008 1:43 PM

I'm not mad at Red, I'm just disappointed that the carpet doesn't match the drapes. :(

kp

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2008 2:18 PM

she don't use jelly isn't "pre-transmissions," it is on transmissions.

what did the phish head say to the other phish head once the drugs ran out?

god, this music sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2008 2:25 PM

lol, some of these opinions are so crazy I don't even know where to start. I went to this show, mostly sober, and enjoyed almost every bit of music I heard. Josh Ritter, for those who don't know, is probably one of the best singer/songwriters of this era. Rjd2 was sick too, but i couldn't stand the 90 degree tent so I only saw his first set of the day. Bassnectar was decent, and the disco biscuits first set was really good too, gutwellig was on fire for most of it. The second set was really trancy/repetetive, sort of lost me, still good music but i was too psyched for the lips to care. As for the lips, they played Mountain Side and The song remains the same. Most of you people are too narrow minded, i'm a jam band fan, but I like everything From Black Sabbath to Grateful Dead to MF DOOM. Open your ears, people.

Posted by Anon | May 28, 2008 5:19 PM

This was the first Flaming Lips show I'd ever been to, and although there may be an obvious trend to what they do on stage, it still leaves everyone with a great vibe during and after the show. Everyone left there smiling that night. You gotta admit, it takes a hell of a front-man to make most of the people in that audience feel like they were really appreciated, even loved. And Wayne did it.
The show works well, and people love them for what they do. Besides, if their fans were bored by the same formula, than the band would probably be even more bored by it. And the fact that both the Lips and the audience are still enjoying it (you could see it on Wayne's face) means something for the quality of the show.
As for the naked girls, They were onstage while they Lips played a famous Led Zeppelin song- The Song Remains The Same. And he did say before playing "the song" that he used to imagine the entire audience running around naked whenever he heard Led Zeppelin play it. You have to give him some credit- he was following through with a fantasy that he thought most would enjoy.
You gotta give the girls a ton of credit too- there were so many people in that audience and they just went for it. I thought it was awesome. I took it as a statement of free love rather than simply naked girls on stage. But that's just me.
I had never seen the disco biscuits before either. It's not my kind of music per say, so I don't want to say whether or not they were good or bad, but I do think that the Flaming Lips really surpassed the Biscuits in the quality of their show.

Posted by Shorty | May 29, 2008 12:13 AM

the disco biscuits were bullshit, i noticed the crowd were a bunch of hippie revivals too. what's up with all those kids in the tye dye greatful dead shirts? i pretty much only came for the flaming lips.

don't get me wrong, i like stuff like mahavishnu orchestra, miles davis, the mars volta - but that's not JAM BAND shit, jam bands is fucking stuff like phish...ugh. annoying.

Posted by cameron Murphy | June 5, 2008 12:56 PM

Can me and some boyfriends get naked also on stage with the naked girls? I can dance too, and naked would be such a rush.

Posted by Anon | November 2, 2009 8:06 AM