Posted in comedy | music | video on May 7, 2008

by Klaus Kinski

Flight of the Conchords

Night one (May 6, 2008) of Flight of the Conchords' two night stint at Town Hall was fantastic. Todd Barry opened the show and handily took control of the completely sold out room. A 20-year comedy veteran and favorite of mine, Todd made the season finale of Flight of the Conchords the best Conchords episode yet. The Conchords came out right after Todd and the place erupted. I mean, the place went completely apeshit. Like, Beatles-era apeshit. A girl in front of me even had a Hot Dog sign. They kicked the show off with "Inner City Pressure" and from there continued with a string of classics including "A Kiss is Not a Contract", "Bret You Got it Goin' On" that lasted over 90-minutes. They played two great new tunes too. Sadly, they didn't play "Bowie" which was a crushing let down. Personally I found their between song banter a tad on the meandering side, but I'm definitely in the minority there; the crowd devoured every thing these guys did for the entire show. The interludes served as perfect opportunities for people in the audience to scream song requests and other provocative oaths which the Conchords handled with unprecedented smoothness.

Tonight's show (May 7) is sold out as well, but last night there were a handful of tickets at the box office so it's probably worth stopping by and trying your luck. And for Christ's sake, DON'T buy a ticket from one of the scalpers. The people in line in front of me - a father with his teenage daughter - were turned away because their tickets were forgeries. Thighs has the complete set-list as well as another review.

Check out some classic videos below...

More tour dates HERE.

My dream is to see a Dirty Projectors/Dan Deacon/Flight of the Conchords show being put on at a large venue like Terminal 5. Then when the place is filled to capacity a large freak asteroid would come hurtling from the night sky right smack into the place. It would not even be sad. Most people would probably rejoice. It would hopefully signal the beginning of the end of hipster stupidity.

"The Conchords came out right after Todd and the place erupted. I mean, the place went completely apeshit. Like, Beatles-era apeshit."

Sad and pathetic really.

Posted by nyctaper's evil twin | May 7, 2008 1:15 PM

what time did they go on?

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 1:15 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 1:23 PM

hey nyctaper when are you gonna join us to do some kiss @ssing? woo-hoo!

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 1:31 PM

barry went on about 8:15ish
and FOTC maybe 20-30 minutes afterwards

Posted by thigh master | May 7, 2008 1:33 PM

"I mean, the place went completely apeshit. Like, Beatles-era apeshit."

Kind of like a Hannah Montana show?

Posted by drewo | May 7, 2008 1:48 PM

"Well, I'm not a big fan of these guys, but 'nyctaper's evil twin' seems to be the real sad and pathetic one here.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 1:23 PM"

Above is an obvious member of the hipster moron elite
Sorry to have offended that fragile or should i say feeble mind of yours.

Posted by nyctaper's evil twin | May 7, 2008 1:50 PM

if todd barry was support last night demetri martin should be support tonight!

Posted by javier buchananeversonia | May 7, 2008 2:03 PM

Evil twin, take your medicines, everything will be alright.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 2:22 PM

I was there too- you forgot to mention the security Nazis. They patrolled the aisles and flashed their little flashlights at anyone trying to take pictures. They removed a kid for taking pics with an EnV. I think he came back, but I wonder if they took his phone. It was ridiculous.

Otherwise, it was an amazing show.

Posted by NJ Hipster | May 7, 2008 2:30 PM

I have a few questions for you, nyctaper's evil twin. In your fantasy, you say you want this asteroid to hit a "large venue" like Terminal 5. I've been to Terminal 5; it only holds about 3,000 people. Since this all a fantasy, why didn't you choose a larger venue, like Shea Stadium or something? And how could you be sure this asteroid would only kill the "sad and pathetic" hipsters in the venue? Isn't it possible that you, or one of your happy and non-pathetic friends, might be walking by -- on your way to a better concert where the audience doesn't show enthusiasm when the band hits the stage -- and be injured and/or killed by this indiscriminating asteroid?

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 2:52 PM

I just wanted to comment a few things:

1. If someone hates hipsters so much why the hell do they continue to visit this website? Are they still listening to Bon Jovi? Sure stereotypical hipsters look annoying around New York City these days, but what isn't annoying in NYC. I think their were less hipsters at Flight than the Hot Chip show.

2. Yes, the security guards would make fine Nazis. They were just everywhere..but then again if they weren't I would have recorded the whole show and burn as many DVDs of the show and sell the DVDs at the corner of 43rd and Broadway.

3. The show was funny, but I didn't fall off my seat laughing. I would it give it B. There's nothing wrong with what their performance on stage; I just knew all the songs (except for the new ones of course...which were funny) so I knew what was coming. If I never heard Business Time before I would have been laughing my ass off even harder! I've told my friends who are going to tonights show to look at it more as a concert than a comedy act. I think they would get better enjoyment.

4. The most annoying thing during the show were the people screaming song requests! My God, stop screaming for Business Time. The guys will get to the song!!! Now I know what Dave Chappelle went through. If I were him and I heard someone in the crowd scream "I'm Rick James bitch!" I would go ape shit also.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 3:22 PM

>>My God, stop screaming for Business Time. The guys >>will get to the song!!!

They're not screaming that b/c they want to hear the song, they're screaming it to prove that they know the band's shit..because they're not a poser, no, not them! They're the only ones in a 3000 person sold-out show that are with it enough to know the song names.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 3:59 PM

They would be much better being hip and campy-ironic and requesting the "Soundtrack to Sister Act II", like the jerk-off sitting behind me at mum in Brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 4:30 PM

The show was amazing. hands down just great. my face hurt leaving the place. it was amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2008 4:33 PM

Be more constructive with your feedback.

Posted by Javy B. | May 7, 2008 4:40 PM

FOTC is mostly only funny on tv

Posted by my feedback | May 7, 2008 5:06 PM

Javy B- well done.

Anon 3:22- Like I said, I was trying to take pics for my (little) music blog. Where's a blogging press pass when you need one?

Posted by NJ Hipster | May 7, 2008 7:59 PM

We will like to thank you a lot for a supreme article and as well, would like to give you the advice: if you trying to find online writers job, this service will helpful.

Posted by Frances23Herring | March 30, 2012 4:25 AM