Posted in movies | music on May 30, 2008

Germs

The Germs biopic "What We Do Is Secret" will hit U.S. theaters in August thanks to a newly signed distribution deal with Peace Arch Entertainment, Billboard has learned. Screenings will be held New York (Aug. 8), Chicago (Aug. 15) and Los Angeles (Aug. 23).

Co-writer/director Rodger Grossman spent 10 years trying to get the movie made, ultimately convincing the mother of late Germs frontman Darby Crash to give her approval.

Actor Shane West portrays Crash, who died of a heroin overdose at age 22 in 1980. The other actors who play the Germs' members were taught to play instruments by Pat Smear, the band's original guitarist and music producer on the film, and their recordings were used in the movie.

The surviving members of the band actually toured with West as lead singer in recent years. [Billboard]

I was beginning to think this would never come out.

Posted by BBG | May 30, 2008 10:29 AM

I know someone who saw this scab band live. Dude kept saying: "Why don't yaaaa get me a beeeeaaaaarrr" straight out of "The Decline of Western Civilization" soundtrack. Retarded.

Oh, forgot: "The Decline of Western Civilization" is a punk soundrack.

Hipsters are retarded too.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2008 10:37 AM

^^

Wow. We're in the presence of True Authority. You snarky dick.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2008 10:45 AM

shane west!?!?? hahahahahahaaa

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2008 10:52 AM

Negative comment.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2008 10:56 AM

The trailer looks terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2008 11:08 AM

I heard that during the filming many old LA scenesters who knew DArby and were probably a part of that circle, said that they were genuinely spooked by Shane's performance. They said it was very Darby like. Also, folks who attended the shows with Shane West said they were pretty damn good.
I reserve judgement until seeing the film.

Posted by fortyver | May 30, 2008 11:55 AM

saw this at the philadelphia film festival a few weeks ago. completely blew me away. i haven't seen a film with such raw energy since early 90s gregg araki. can't wait to see this again.

Posted by michael seth novick | May 30, 2008 12:35 PM

biopics are the worst.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2008 1:44 PM

And so are you.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | May 30, 2008 4:29 PM

Rumor has it the LA legend Rich Bitch (New Collapse, Frank Alpine, Boyscouts of Annihilation) plays Tomato from the Screamers in this! I can't wait to see it...

AND YES: Gregg Araki totally rules.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2008 5:04 PM

Anonymous? is it your name? Or you dont have one?

Do you really saw the movie?
Because WWDIS is really amazing, and Shane did an wonderful job in it!

Shane’s getting 2 awards for his performance as Darby in What We Do Is secret

* GASPARILLA FILM FESTIVAL - Special Mention–Male Actor

* PHILADELPHIA FILM FESTIVAL - Rising Star Award

He’s great!

I do not know how you can be as bad, you're the judge a thing that you never saw!

And
ANONYMOUS I THink you are the same guy that I found in another page talked about this movie:

I'm air-hosteness. And travel a lot. And I saw the movie in Philadelphia.
yes, I am European, but has a problem with that?

I was there. I often travel to the USA. And because my father was big fan of Darby I took him to see the movie!
This is not promo/marketers spam. And please respect me and others.

Because despite my horrible English, like one person said me about my comments on another page "ESL nice comments." I noticed and understand the whole movie and I know criticize a good performance. Did you speak more than one language? I can speak 5 different languages. I need that for my job..better than most of you that know only one...

From my part I am outraged by the barrier of language because for depression from some of you...

yeah...some of you. Because I have some friends from United States. And they are fantastic and friendly to me.

Sorry for my poor english...and made you disgusting me...

I cant wait to see this movie again!

Posted by Bianelsa | June 3, 2008 9:37 AM