Posted in music on May 13, 2008

...if she (Carrie Brownstein) wants permission to stream their track on her blog.....

Monitor Mix

An interesting tidbit: This mix was supposed to have the Grateful Dead on it, whose music I really love, but they refused unless we promised to do a piece on them on All Things Considered. In addition, we would need to run a feature on The Dead on the site. Here's a sentence I've never written: Someone needs to take a bong hit and chill out. Just a simple "no thanks" would have sufficed. Are The Dead really in need of publicity? Because I swear there's a dancing bear sticker on every third car I see in Portland. And now I've written a paragraph on them anyway, for free, not even in exchange for a song. Doesn't that count?!
[Carrie Brownstein/NPR]

This is a shame. But from everything I've read and heard, the Dead empire has been operated like GM or Microsoft since Jerry died.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 1:52 PM

Sadly, it's true.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 1:54 PM

They operated like GM & Microsoft WHEN he was alive as well. People need to get a clue. Every single person in that empire was a multi-millionaire many times over. Kids selling beans and soda to get a ticket...hahahaha while that band brought in the cash. They were brilliant with regard to that.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 2:00 PM

as the deadheads used to say, cheese it up bobby!

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 2:10 PM

2:00 - they sold tickets always. But it was NOT operated like a multi-national corporation then the way it is today. how would you even know? how many dead shows did you go to?

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 2:18 PM

Like it or not, the Dead laid the groundwork for a totally new business plan that has been copied 1000's of times over by independent bands of many genres. This is a positive thing. That said, this incident seems overboard.

Posted by J Dubs | May 13, 2008 2:18 PM

before jerry died, they tried to run as profitable a business as possible, but were not always successful, almost endearingly. Since 95, however, they've run that thing like, yes, GM or Microsoft. They think that music and business are two separate things and that they can be altruistic musicians while having their business be an entity removed from that, but that's not how things are these days. Still love the good ol' GD, but this sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 2:19 PM

Yeah don't go and lump everyone in the band together with this greed Anon 2pm. You have no idea what you are talking about. This is all the work of one person in this camp and that is Bob Weir.
But in all honesty, Carrie should take her own advice and take a hit as well. She has shown she can be an uptight little bitch

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 2:19 PM

Why not give some airtime to the Dead on All Things Considered? Who else do they have to cover?
Sure their demands are funny.
They just wanted Carrie to put in a good word for them.

And I'm not even a big fan. They're an interesting story, even today.

Posted by Jack | May 13, 2008 2:24 PM

First Phish banter...now the Dead?!?

No doubt!!

Keep it coming!!

Posted by Drugs Delaney | May 13, 2008 2:27 PM

the Dead killed Jerry by being so greedy. You think that sad old man wanted to play hundreds of stadium shows a year? He kept begging for a hiatus. They worked him to his grave. For money. Just like Jack Straw from Arkansas. I don't know but I been told, it's hard to run with a weight of gold. *pffffffff inhaaaale* I live in a silver mine and I call it beggars tomb!

"Days" is my favorite Television song. Great mix!

Posted by | May 13, 2008 2:36 PM

yoooooo...headies...headies..nugs...liquids...miracle...SHAKEDOWN!

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 2:45 PM

"Just like Jack Straw from Arkansas."

Bwahahaaaaahhaaaa!!! It's Wichita, dude.

Whoever laid the finger on Bobby is right. He's also the one who led the fight against sbd recordings being made available on Live Music Archive. Poor Phil put up a good fight, but lost in the end...and in other news, Rat Dog sucks!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 2:46 PM

Whoa. Long-time Dead fan here. Bobby and Phil share the blame here - Mickey actually fought them on all this stuff and ultimately gave up. But Phil loves the money as much - if not more - than Bobby.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 2:49 PM

But keep on making fun of them with mis-information anonymous commentators!

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 2:53 PM

Hey 2:49...nice to see some others around!

I'm sure they all love the money, let's get serious, but Phil openly defended his opinion that sbd recordings of GD should be available on LMA and Bobby was adamantly opposed to it, from what I read.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 2:58 PM

assholes. im really digging her blog, too.

Posted by sarah | May 13, 2008 2:58 PM

Anon 2:49pm more bullshit. Phil is not to blame here. Lesh has never been about this bullshit.

Anon 2:53 you are terribly misinformed yourself if you think that the Dead gave up all control of their catalogue. Rhino and The Dead share that you fucknut.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 3:02 PM

Plus Phil has just always been so much cooler than Bobby

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 3:04 PM

>>>You are wrong if you think that "the Grateful Dead" in this instance is actually the band...she most likely heard from Rhino who now owns and operates their back catalogue.

What's the difference? It all goes back to the band and the business decisions they made. Rhino was acting on behalf of The Grateful Dead.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 3:07 PM

"Why not give some airtime to the Dead on All Things Considered?"

i just considered it. no, thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 3:09 PM

remember that scene in Festival Exprees, Bob Weir goes to some hippy if you want something free, go jerk off

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 3:18 PM

the blues are also free. [tear]

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 3:49 PM

Life may be sweeter for this, I don't know
Feels like it might be alright
While Lady Lullaby sings plainly for you
Love still rings true

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 4:01 PM

Anon 4:01 now owes the Dead some money.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 4:06 PM

good thing he's anonymous in that case

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 4:21 PM

Heaaaaaady heady Goo Balls!!!!

Heaaaaaady heady Goo Balls!!!!

Freshy homemade clothes for your extra!!!

Whooooooo's got my miracle?!?!?!?!?

Posted by Casey Jones | May 13, 2008 4:22 PM

Sigh. This is sad. Rise Above, Bob Weir! Rise Above!

Posted by Terry Gross | May 13, 2008 4:42 PM

Veggie burrito for your extra! Fatty grilled cheese! (doses, shrooms, hash)

Posted by GDTRFB | May 13, 2008 4:43 PM

Oh, and Rat Dog does suck balls.

Posted by Terry Gross | May 13, 2008 4:46 PM

I NEED A MIRACLE!

Posted by hipster poseur | May 13, 2008 4:51 PM

This is taking random comments (from a mediocre music blog) out of context. Brownstein probably wasn't clear in her request to air the music, and dealt with a label rep as opposed to the BAND. The Dead, like half the shitty-ass bands on this blog, are a company at the end of the day, turning out product (Ie music). That being said, the only difference is the Dead's wallets are fatter. The credit-card store-owning-hippies currently residing in Woodstock, NY are the laughable-relic you can see for yourself as far as "60's ethos" is concerned. Guess "The Man" turned out a good profit after all.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 4:53 PM

this darkness has to end

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 4:58 PM

Carrie Brownstein needs to seriously get over herself.

FWIW: I do not like the GD.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 4:58 PM

4:53, that was a fantastically full of shit post

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 5:00 PM

Yeah really, not just Carrie Brownstein, but a member of Sleater Kinney as well. Definitely a noteworthy acknowledgement to recognize the indie-rock cred...Jesus, if I come across any other medicore 90's hold-over indie bands blogging I'll be sure to let everyone know.
PS that song "Dig Me Out" is good, I'll admit that. But again, we're talking 1 song here folks.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 5:01 PM

Thanks 5:00 I actually thought that post was pretty entertaining. Wait until I get going! ;)

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 5:10 PM

such a long long time to be gone and a short time to be there

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 5:29 PM

play WHARF RAT...the Dick's Picks Vol. 35 version!

(5 lightning bolts)

Posted by hipster poseur | May 13, 2008 6:16 PM

J Dubs 2:18: The only intelligent post in this entire thread. Give credit where due, indie children...

Posted by TB | May 13, 2008 7:24 PM

"a totally new business plan" = selling nitrous balloons in the parking lot before the show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 9:21 PM

Wow this site is basically jambands.com now...

How long until we start seeing wizard smoke banner ads?

Posted by BRAHklynVegan | May 13, 2008 9:43 PM

ALL musicians are rich, rich, rich. And stealing my money by selling tickets and recordings. Property is theft especially if I have no property and want yours. Musicians should always work for free and feed themselves on good will. Yum. Then when they get rich and fat they should be bulimic. They should also be communists and live in re-educashum camps and share guitars all plugged into one amp. Oregon rules! Sleater-Kinney owes nothing to nobody. They shit In The Woods and eat grubs and roots. Back to the land, Carrie!

Posted by Noisejoke | May 13, 2008 10:09 PM

Hey Noisejoke, I think you completely missed the point.

I doubt Carrie would argue that The Grateful Dead don't need to make money. The issue is that The Grateful Dead tried to buy coverage on NPR. What is even more pathetic about it is that the Grateful Dead thought that their streaming track on Carrie's blog was as valuable to NPR as a story on All Things Considered would be to The Grateful Dead.

The point is, NPR's editors decide what is relevant enough to write about, and the Grateful Dead and/or their people tried to buy that relevance. You can defend them The Dead all you want, but it was a slimy move - a sort of payola in reverse,

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 10:19 PM

Oh, yeah, I didn't get that. All musicians and me are dummy!

(The issue is that some dolt answering the phone or email at Dead Corporate responded to a request for streaming approval with some dunderheaded boiler plate. Either way Weir's a dick - when I met him on the set of a tv show where I wasn't a peon, he sure was dicky. But, nobody owes Carrie, or gag, NPR, anything. This had nothing to do with editors, I'm sure. More like Spring semester interns at best.)

Posted by Noisejoke | May 13, 2008 10:31 PM

I just wanted to clear up any confusion about The Grateful Dead "situation."

Someone at NPR contacted their people about streaming a song on this blog. Yes, NPR does ask and need permission even for this. Their lawyers denied permission and made the suggestions as to how we might be able to get the song.

As I stated in the post, I am a fan of the band's music. As I also stated in the post, saying "no" to a request is understandable but I found the idea of bargaining to be strange, though it is not atypical. Lastly, I understand that the band had nothing to do with this decision and it certainly doesn't change my affection towards them.

There have been a few comments that I think understood that I wasn't harshing on the band and get that there is a tacit understanding that it is often the business people that grant or deny these requests.

What makes me the most upset is that no one has ever gotten mad about the Eagles.

Sent by Carrie Brownstein | 5:31 PM ET | 05-13-2008

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2008 10:46 PM

Well, it's because nobody CARES about the Eagles.

Posted by Noisejoke | May 13, 2008 11:09 PM

I only got mad when McNabb got hurt.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 7:15 AM

>Carrie Brownstein.

Hittable.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 8:07 AM

10:19, you have no idea what you're talking about. The "band" had nothing to do with it, as per Carrie's posting. The fact this was even posted here out of context in the first place is sort of comical.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 9:58 AM

I fucking hate the Eagles, man!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 10:07 AM

" the Dead laid the groundwork for a totally new business plan that has been copied 1000's of times over by independent bands of many genres."

uuh not really, i still have to go to ticketshithead for most of my tickets.

i think you're mistaking black flag for the Dead.

Posted by jim | May 14, 2008 10:26 AM

It has been very difficult to score acid since The Dead stopped touring, that's for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 1:01 PM

Opium is virtually nonexistent, for that matter!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2008 1:23 PM

don't murder me!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2008 2:36 PM

The Dead sucks without Jerry Garcia.

Who cares what NPR wants - they blow. Biased liberal radio that tries to sell itself as unbiased and is totally smug about it.

Reminds me of the crowd that followed/follows the Dead rich kids that played poor because their parents quit supporting them when they hit 30. Some finally grew up to be some of the biggest Capitalist assholes that I know.

Oh and for those that think I may be slanted towards the right--Fox news blows as well on the flip side of the coin.

If the Dead and Rhino want a plug so be it as we live in a Capitalist system and shit don't come free. NPR Knows that as they constantly have their beg-a-thons.

Jeez....Marx explained it in plain simple terms over 100 years ago about the USA...some people are still in denial about it and constantly whine when they can't get their way.

Now Go exercise your right to Vote!!!

ps. I'm listening to the 1976-06-14 Dead show right now that I got for free. Can't sue me on something that was knowingly and approved to be released in the public domain in 1976. Can't say that about the Dead's new music. The music holds its own regardless of politics and economy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2008 12:49 PM